ADVERTISEMENT

Opening a new restaurant and need appetizer ideas

Blue cheese, tenderloin flatbread drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette. Can use sirloin tips as well.

Reuben dip.....served with Thousand and cocktail rye slices.

For me, the first would be a big no as I don't at all care for deviled eggs......though I suppose someone like my wife (who does like them) might give them a whirl. I think the brats are an interesting idea, even though I truthfully don't know if I'd order them as an appetizer even if I saw them on a menu.

Those sound great but from a seasonality perspective those sound more like items that I would put on my menu in fall, winter and spring. Opening a restaurant in Wilmington in the summer I would surely use all the seafood I could get my hands on (which I'm sure you know). I've worked in Florida and imo the seafood is much better in the Carolinas than it is in Florida, year round.

Again just me but iI would consider a nice escabeche or a ceviche salad/app. You would be highlighting local seafood and both would be light, cool starter dishes for the hot summer. I would definitely also consider some fresh tuna for the same reasons.

Lastly the other thing that is plentiful in North Carolina in the summer is vegetables. With all of the fresh tomatoes and other vegetables in North Carolina in the summer, (as mog said) bruschetta would be an easy, cheap and great tasting option as well.

I would try to create a niche with my menu. In Wilmington you have the tourists but you also have a local element that is a tad upscale and who know good food. Unless you are going for the fried seafood route (which honestly I considered in Beaufort) I think you need to be a touch more than the basic fried appetizer but not pretentious, at least with a couple of dishes. Simple, fresh, food, prepared and served perfectly.

30, that is all my opinion and kind of the way I look at menu planning. I'll get off of my soapbox, now. Just really would like to see a homeboy knock it out of the park in the restaurant business in Wilmington. Great area!

How about a portion of kebab? Fish, shrimp, scallop, beef or chicken with red onion, pepper, mushroom, zucchini, squash, tomato etc.... IMO would be very easy to prep and cook. Proteins and veggies could be dictated by what's available. I'd get down and grub on some of that!

I agree with using local fresh produce. You could have a slice of tomato topped with fresh mozzarella and basil, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.

Originally posted by Mick JaggEER:

I agree with using local fresh produce. You could have a slice of tomato topped with fresh mozzarella and basil, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.
That's hardly a new idea, but it remains one helluva' good appetizer
happy0001.r191677.gif

Thanks Back. Really appreciate the insight. I want to send you a brief description and menu and see office you think it would work. It's not your traditional concept. What's your email or you can email me at todd@apartmet-investors.com? I tried before but nothing came through.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

What about this?

Cheesy Flatbread- With Mozzarella, Provolone, and Blue Cheeses and topped with chopped tomatoes then drizzled with balsamic olive oil. A better version of traditional bruschetta.

I love Blue Cheese!! But the problem with your suggestion is putting Blue on with other cheeses, you lose the subtle taste of the other cheeses. All you are doing is running up your food cost.

If you have fresh tomatoes, I like your suggestion with mozz and provolone with the fresh tomatoes. Not sure what balsamic olive oil is but drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil is perfect. You could put a splash of balsamic vinegar on it but again, that is a strong taste and I don't know it is necessary. But adding fresh basil.....that is a home run.

Then you could do a second with Blue Cheese and pancetta and carmelized onions or something along those line. Fantastic flavor profile.

Originally posted by Mountie30:
What about this?

Cheesy Flatbread- With Mozzarella, Provolone, and Blue Cheeses and topped with chopped tomatoes then drizzled with balsamic olive oil. A better version of traditional bruschetta.
Sounds good. A local restaurant just opened here that has several flatbread options as appetizers. One is a white cheese pizza with basil, tomatoes, cheese, pepperoni, etc. (you could always use other toppings as well). The one that I personally prefer is a BBQ chicken flatbread with grilled chicken, BBQ sauce, grilled onions, and cheese. The third option was a chicken bacon ranch, which I've not tried due to my aversion to ranch. All are very simple, rather cheap, and very delicious. I thought about adding them, or some variation thereof, to my game watching parties for away games next season.

Originally posted by COOL MAN:

Originally posted by Mick JaggEER:

That's hardly a new idea, but it remains one helluva' good appetizer
happy0001.r191677.gif

Especially when you also drizzle some good balsamic vinegar, and hit it with just a touch of freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.
shy.r191677.gif

How about some lettuce wraps with asian ground pork? Lots of good recipes out there. Easy to prepare and fun to eat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT