ADVERTISEMENT

Ok....Superbowl Week.....What chu got?

Gumbo.

I'll probably do shrimp, but I may try to grow a pair and do duck. Duck fat has so many uses. It's kinda like duct tape in the kitchen.

My balls

I will be making My Balls.

1 pound of your favorite ground sausage ( I use hot or sage), one pack of shredded cheddar cheese, and bisquick.

mix everything until it's a consistency you can just barely form into golf ball sized balls. If too dry, just add a little water. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes. You can dip them in maple syrup. Leftovers are great for breakfast the next day.

I will also be making Buffalo Chicken Dip, and probably some wings with Chipotle Hot sauce

another

Hoagie Dip

1/2 head extra-virgin olive oil 1 teaspoon dried oregano

run all solids through the food processor, mix in olive oil and mayo to the paste afterwards.

serve with pretzel bread, crackers, or cut up hoagie rolls.

Can also add tomato, onion, and hot peppers if that's what you like in a hoagie.

Receipe ? Do you use a roux ? How hard is it to make a roux?

Thanks

This post was edited on 2/3 11:24 AM by stevek01

This post was edited on 2/3 11:25 AM by stevek01

Can't make gumbo without a roux! It's nothing to be intimidated by.

Use equal parts flour and butter/oil. I'm using bacon grease.

Whisk them over medium heat until you get a smell from the mixture. Add your aromatics; keep whisking; don't let it burn. When it darkens up nice start whisking in your liquid - stock.

I'm not a professional but I guess I've been using a "roux" to make gravy for years without knowing it was a roux.....until the food network told me so. I start mine with three or four tablespoons of unsalted butter and equal amounts of flour in a skillet, and I whisk it until it starts to brown. The darker you allow it to get, the darker color you will have in the finished product. Next I slowly begin adding the broth, constantly stirring while it comes to a simmer, and eventually a full boil, and I keep adding broth until I get the desired thickness. Nothing to it.

Pizza

2wLlefr.jpg

Re: Pizza

You make your own dough mog? I've tried but it never turns out good. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Re: Pizza

Yep. This was my first attempt at it, so I don't really have any great advice. I used the recipe below. The only change I made was using hot tap water instead of heating it on the stove. I saved 1/3 of the dough for a pizza the next day, and it was a lot harder to work with. I had to use a rolling pin to get it into shape without breaking apart.

3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
About 15 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 3 1/4 cups)
About 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons olive oil

1. Put the yeast in a small, heatproof bowl. Warm 1/4 cup water in a small pot over medium heat and pour it over the yeast. Stir with a fork and let proof for 10 minutes.

2. Put the flour, water, salt, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the yeast and paddle on low speed until the mixture comes together. Switch to the dough hook attachment and continue mixing, on medium-low speed, until the dough comes together in a ball, another 3 to 4 minutes. Check the dough: If it's too dry, mix in a bit more water. If too sticky, add a bit more flour.

3. Lightly flour a clean work surface. Turn the dough onto the surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 7 minutes. Form the dough into a ball. Grease a medium mixing bowl with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and set the ball of dough in the bottom of the bowl and rotate to coat with the oil. Top the bowl loosely with plastic wrap or a slightly damp kitchen towel. Let rest in a cool, dark place until the dough increases about half its size, 30 to 45 minutes.

4. Clean and reflour your work surface and transfer the dough to the surface. Press down on it to deflate it. Cut the dough into thirds (or desired portions), and form into tight balls to press out the excess air.

5. At this point, you may place the balls of dough on a flouered baking sheet covered with oiled plastic or a damp towel, and let rise for 1 hour if you plan to use the dough on the same day. Alternatively, you may place the dough on a lightly floured sheet, cover with a piece of plastic wrap moistened on the underside with oil, and refrigerate overnight. Allow the dough to rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before shaping/baking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT