ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Observations: West Virginia practice: 4-17

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--It was a rainy day today but there was still a good energy considering we're entering near the end of spring practice. You can truly notice what Neal Brown talks about as many of the new coaches were giving a jolt of energy to their position groups. It's not more noticeable than with Victor Cabral who is constantly jawing with his players and firing them up. The practices have run really smooth and if I was a player I'd have to imagine it's the type of environment that I would want to practice in as well. Today wasn't as intense as the last open practice because there wasn't as much 11-on-11 work but there were still a lot of competition going on out there.

--West Virginia opened with some tempo type drills with 11-on-11 sets where they would switch units back and forth after a play. The first unit on the offensive line looked to be the one that's ran the entire camp in LT: Wyatt Milum, LG: Sully Weidman, C: Brandon Yates, RG Ja'Quay Hubbard and RT Nick Malone. Garrett Greene was of course the QB and Jahiem White the RB as CJ Donaldson isn't allowed to have any contact this spring. The second group on the offensive line was LT: Johnny Williams, LG: Mo Hamilton, C: Laden Livingston, RG: Nick Krahe and RT: Xavier Bausley. The WR group rotated as usual between the different looks and on defense the same can be said.

DL: TJ Jackson, Fatorma Mulbah, Sean Martin
LB: Ben Cutter, Josiah Trotter, Trey Lathan, Tyrin Bradley
DB: Aubrey Burks, Anthony Wilson, Ayden Garnes and Garnett Hollis

But again, this rotated between the various players at essentially all positions as it's been done all spring.

--During this period, Nicco Marchiol had a really nice throw and listening to him with his teammates on the sidelines when he trotted off he just has a different presence about him with his command. He is much more comfortable reading the defense both pre-snap and post. Garrett Greene is obviously the man over there this year, but there is room for optimism moving ahead not only off what we've been told but what's been noticeable if you've watched the practices.

--Speaking of Greene, thought he threw the ball well and had a nice run.

--CJ Donaldson flashed his ball skills with a really impressive one-hand catch down the sideline. He's done it before, but to see a guy that big make that look easy is always impressive.

--Today was a little bit more sloppy with penalties and miscues. Saw a punt drop and a couple penalties in the various drills as there were officials out there. This isn't anything to be alarmed about as it really hasn't been an issue much beforehand and was just a snapshot of practice but worth pointing out.

--I've pointed him out before but Clay Ash moves really well at running back and has some nice vision. I'm not sure how much of a dent he can make there given the depth, but he is definitely somebody that has seemingly made the most of his opportunities every time we've been out there.

--At punt returner, Preston Fox, Rodney Gallagher and Tyler Evans worked there. There was a lot of special teams work and it's hard to believe that Jeff Koonz sounded normal the other day because his voice was definitely strained today from going at the units. They've spent a lot of work there this spring.

--Kole Taylor didn't participate but was sporting red and running sprints. He seems to be working his way back.

--As lot of group drill work today similar to what we've seen in the past. Coaches were again getting after players to focus on the details and make sure they're getting the most out of it.

--West Virginia closed practice with one-on-ones and I watched the wide receivers and the defensive backs yet again to compare. After Preston Fox got the best of Garnett Hollis the other day, this time Hollis finished the play and jarred the ball loose on a deep route down the sideline. He followed that up with another impressive rep against Jarel Williams. Hollis is just huge for a cornerback but moves really well for his size.

--Israel Boyce took a gamble to the inside to try to break up a pass and learned the hard way as it was basically a walk-in touchdown. A solid lesson for the freshman.

--Ayden Garnes is physical. He drew a pass interference on one play where I thought he was playing the ball, but came back and answered with another physical rep that drew a lot of celebration from the defensive back coaches for his effort.

--Again, Jaden Bray made a fantastic catch during this period down the sidelines for a touchdown. It's the second straight time that he's been able to get deep, adjust his body and come down with the ball. He has looked impressive for the most part this entire spring.

--West Virginia had several recruits in attendance including 2024 signee Curtis Jones. He definitely looks like he's filled out some but has a great frame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News