ADVERTISEMENT

New Dana Article

Houston hasn't really maximized its talent.
Certain schools in Houston have good history like Lamar, Westfield and Madison.
As a whole the better schools are in Galveston, Montgomery and Fort Bend Counties.

The best school right now is Galena Park North Shore it is not apart of HISD.
North Shore is a beast in football and basketball.
They have the #1 player in Zach Evans among other highly touted prospects for the next few years.

It comes down to coaching plus coaching outside of football.
7v7 really changed the landscape in Houston. Now these recruits are getting private coaching outside of their high school.
At the high school level. Even at the smaller high schools you have coaches who played at the college level. Even if it is at a NAIA or JUCO level.
But the players that don't meet the requirements to get their teaching credentials become private coaches.

The amount of private coaching in Texas went from a few to 5-6,000 in just a 5-10 year period.

Dana needs to win.

I'm happy for him, I have defended him. I feel he is a quality coach.

If hes a good coach he can win @ Houston.

Sorry..read more.

This was a fluff piece which Dana obviously commissioned and controlled.

Fyi, let me party in a limo on the way to a MLB first pitch and I will write something more flattering, and believable.

Reactions: Back Porch
They cut out the part of Dana doing lines with the news anchor.

She was putting those nostrils to use in a couple of different ways with Dana.
17c1e2dd9a84b23e9b066c325768be9f.jpeg

Dana needs to win.

I'm happy for him, I have defended him. I feel he is a quality coach.

If hes a good coach he can win @ Houston.

There are some things on offense I like.

No one is giving him credit for Wesco.
So far...
Supposedly Dana was all in on Top QB Hayes King. Was going to put UH as the program to beat. King for some is a big deal. Is the main reason why Longview finally broke through and won their first state championship in 80 years.
But it didn't happen. King grew up a LSU fan.
Even as a supposed Top 5 QB LSU doesn't want him so you would have thought Dana had a chance.

So Dana Holgersen hasn't made any noise on the recruiting trail.
He has been there for four months.
Only thing he has done is what he did at WV. Waste scholarships on transfers.
They still have a chance with Malik Hornsby who included them in his Top schools list.
Truthfully think he ends up at UNC.
He is a potential Lamar Jackson type QB. Just needs to improve his throwing.
If Dana can get him it would go a long way.

There are some things on offense I like.

No one is giving him credit for Wesco.
So far...
Supposedly Dana was all in on Top QB Hayes King. Was going to put UH as the program to beat. King for some is a big deal. Is the main reason why Longview finally broke through and won their first state championship in 80 years.
But it didn't happen. King grew up a LSU fan.
Even as a supposed Top 5 QB LSU doesn't want him so you would have thought Dana had a chance.

So Dana Holgersen hasn't made any noise on the recruiting trail.
He has been there for four months.
Only thing he has done is what he did at WV. Waste scholarships on transfers.
They still have a chance with Malik Hornsby who included them in his Top schools list.
Truthfully think he ends up at UNC.
He is a potential Lamar Jackson type QB. Just needs to improve his throwing.
If Dana can get him it would go a long way.

I wouldn’t say the scholarships have been wasted on transfers because we have gotten some good players who truly helped. He just focused too much on getting transfers as a bailout on the lack of effort he put into recruiting high school players. With the transfers, he just looked at what spots he had open and thought he could find someone at another school desperate to get a starting spot or in need of a new home for personal reasons and basically told them they would most likely come in and be the starter right away at a power 5 school.

I think Dana looks at the Ed Oliver situation and thinks it must be easy to convince local Houston 5 star talent to sign with Houston. Oliver was an anomoly and not the norm. The big talent in Houston is still gonna go to SEC and B12 schools.

I think Dana saw the writing on the wall at WVU as was eluded to in the article and knew he was probably gonna struggle this year if he stayed at WVU. Most likely he would have been let go, and Shane Lyons could then bring in his own guy. He figures he can do all his recruiting in Houston and then go out for drinks and then go home and sleep in his own bed every night or at least some local’s bed every night.

I wouldn’t say the scholarships have been wasted on transfers because we have gotten some good players who truly helped. He just focused too much on getting transfers as a bailout on the lack of effort he put into recruiting high school players. With the transfers, he just looked at what spots he had open and thought he could find someone at another school desperate to get a starting spot or in need of a new home for personal reasons and basically told them they would most likely come in and be the starter right away at a power 5 school.

I think Dana looks at the Ed Oliver situation and thinks it must be easy to convince local Houston 5 star talent to sign with Houston. Oliver was an anomoly and not the norm. The big talent in Houston is still gonna go to SEC and B12 schools.

I think Dana saw the writing on the wall at WVU as was eluded to in the article and knew he was probably gonna struggle this year if he stayed at WVU. Most likely he would have been let go, and Shane Lyons could then bring in his own guy. He figures he can do all his recruiting in Houston and then go out for drinks and then go home and sleep in his own bed every night or at least some local’s bed every night.

You’re the only tool that entertains this guy. Troll him like the rest of us and stop being a loser.

Seriously who cares. Dana and his PR team need to stop spinning this and tell the truth. Nobody in WV is upset he left. In fact, the majority were thrilled he did. The truth is, Dana was smart enough to see the writing on the wall. He had underachieved big time and last year was his year. He knew he was gonna be fired after 2019 because he didn’t have the talent to win enough coming back. Rumor is, he asked for a long term extension and was told “No, it’s gonna be year to year”. Translation, you’re on thin ice.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Ed Oliver is the first 5 star who is a 5 star by every ranking to play at a G5.

It was a combination of things that kept Oliver.
At the current time
They have Vernon Broughton in the Houston area. His mom is connected with the UH women's basketball program.
Oliver never had these connections to Cougar High.
So far Broughton who is only a high 4 star is looking at Texas, A&M, Alabama and LSU.

Dana is as oddball.
The UH DL coach is a nobody.

UH had Oscar Giles who went back to Texas when Herman was there.
He is country smooth with the recruits and their families.

Assistant coaches are more important than head coaches in recruiting

Seriously who cares. Dana and his PR team need to stop spinning this and tell the truth. Nobody in WV is upset he left. In fact, the majority were thrilled he did. The truth is, Dana was smart enough to see the writing on the wall. He had underachieved big time and last year was his year. He knew he was gonna be fired after 2019 because he didn’t have the talent to win enough coming back. Rumor is, he asked for a long term extension and was told “No, it’s gonna be year to year”. Translation, you’re on thin ice.

Yeah I generally agree, but I'm not so sure he really underachieved. WVU has never had a talent advantage against the top of the league.

Last season we had good talent in key spots, but that is not the same as having top to bottom talent.

Oklahoma wins the conference regularly because each year they have a talent advantage over the rest of the pack, or equal talent.

You cant have good talent 1 season and expect to win the league...you need to have it EVERY season, then you'll win a few of them.

Its unrealistic to expect a coach to out scheme his opponents each game, every game. No coach does. That isn't a strategy to win consistently...at some point we need to recruit at a higher level.

He is in a good position. Houston is a place where you can win, and his record at WVU isnt a bad one.

If he wins big at Houston he will definitely be looked at for other major positions. Strategically it is a good move.

Which is precisely what HC Dana Clueless didn't do lol. He should have been fired years before. ..a childish and immature wanna be.

What WVU coach really has?

We did well in the Big East because most seasons we had the talent advantage, but we've never had equal talent to Oklahoma or Texas.

Frankly, this isnt a problem which gets solved by one coach.

He plays Oklahoma this year.

Luckily he plays Oklahoma early.
Last time Oklahoma went into the season with this many questions on the OL it was 2016.
Houston beat the shit out of them at NRG.

They may not have Ed Oliver but they still have overall depth on the DL.
Should be an interesting game and will really prove how good of a coach Dana is.
He cannot lose that game 52-20 or something.

Oklahoma has talent but their talent is only as good as Jalen Hurts and their OL.
Both have questions.
They have 4 new starters on the OLine. All 4 will eventually be good but how fast is the question.

wvu is pretty much a stepping stone for up and coming coaches. Michigan used them as such, and has had great success with one of them. Houston is likely hoping for similar results.

Michigan is the only place that knows how to use those stones. The other was given to them as a kidney stone. Painful right.

Last edited:
DN, RR and BS. Red Bull didn't give a damn about things...his excuses are pathetic.
Dana is a very undisciplined HC, and that was his downfall here and will be at Houston. He’s a classic example of a guy with a ton of potential but never reaches it.

Dana is a very undisciplined HC, and that was his downfall here and will be at Houston. He’s a classic example of a guy with a ton of potential but never reaches it.

He was a head coach at a major university, won an orange bowl and is considered a top level offensive coach.

Now he is at another good program....positioned pretty well in the college football world.

Not to mention he has made millions of dollars and has a great contract to make even more.

If you failed to reach potential as well as him you'd be lucky.

Dana wants to stay up late and sleep in. He doesn’t want to live at work. He wants big money but wants to be anonymous. He wants the fans engaged but doesn’t want to attend fundraisers. He wants elite recruits but only goes after the easier, safe bet targets as was evidenced by the comments from the elite OL talent coming out of WV this past recruiting cycle. He wants the school to sell itself so he doesn’t have to so he can just do an 8 hour day broken up by taking hour long leisurely walks around campus. He believes for the most part he can just out game plan most opponents and doesn’t bother to use all his allotted practices for bowls. He wants complete autonomy and no one is allowed to question his methods. He wants the right to call out the fans for not being all in 1000% of the time, but he never completely bought in, himself. He wants to use excuses for not achieving like saying you can’t beat Oklahoma at WVU, yet the previous 2 games against Oklahoma prior to Dana arriving WVU was 2-0, once in Norman and once in the Fiesta Bowl.

That said, I liked Dana. I wanted him to succeed and hoped prior to this past season he was ready to take the next step and begin competing for conference titles annually.

After this past year, I knew in my heart we had peaked under Dana, and when he left, I was actually somewhat relieved though you never know if the administration will blow the next hire or not. So far on the surface, it looks like they hired the right guy.
I believe you’ve hit the nail on the head, Dana is the coach I have always been terrified WVU would hire. Wins just enough that you can’t justify firing him, but will never win anything meaningful.

I believe you’ve hit the nail on the head, Dana is the coach I have always been terrified WVU would hire. Wins just enough that you can’t justify firing him, but will never win anything meaningful.

Yep...never won anything meaningful, like an Orange Bowl or something like that

He was a head coach at a major university, won an orange bowl and is considered a top level offensive coach.

Now he is at another good program....positioned pretty well in the college football world.

Not to mention he has made millions of dollars and has a great contract to make even more.

If you failed to reach potential as well as him you'd be lucky.
I agree with you, at least on the millions of dollars part. Dana might be undisciplined but he ain’t dumb.

I agree with you, at least on the millions of dollars part. Dana might be undisciplined but he ain’t dumb.

I agree he might be undisciplined, which I mentioned earlier from the article about running late.

But I dont think that was his problem.

His problem was he played against teams which usually had a lopsided talent advantage and was continually forced to win with scheme.

If you play 10 teams, and 3 have better talent and 4 have equal talent...its not easy win consistently.

I do firmly blame him for the Ok State loss. That's when I knew he was moving on.

Dana was a risk tasker. Lived and died on offensive football.
Still had some decent years.

With how we recruit at the current time.
I don't see why we should expect better than 9-3 seasons.
With the type of players we bring in we should expect 7-5 to 9-3 seasons.

Reactions: Wahama78
I agree he might be undisciplined, which I mentioned earlier from the article about running late.

But I dont think that was his problem.

His problem was he played against teams which usually had a lopsided talent advantage and was continually forced to win with scheme.
Bill Stewart didn’t have any problem beating OU. 48-28

Dana was a risk tasker. Lived and died on offensive football.
Still had some decent years.

With how we recruit at the current time.
I don't see why we should expect better than 9-3 seasons.
With the type of players we bring in we should expect 7-5 to 9-3 seasons.
That’s how Dana felt, and most times you get about what you expect to get.

That’s how Dana felt, and most times you get about what you expect to get.

Problem for Dana is that the fanbase expected more.
They still do with Neal Brown. I am sure this same converstation about Neal Brown will happen in 5-6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT