ADVERTISEMENT

My Gold-Blue Game thoughts

Mog

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Morgantown, WV
  • Jairo Faverus - I'm a little surprised I haven't seen his name mentioned, but he impressed me today. He made a lot of plays out there- led the team in tackles, and he showed the ability to drop back in zone coverage as well. It's his third year in the program, so it's time for him to start making an impact.
    PTIHtfo.jpg
  • The "fan" portions of the skills competitions were a lot of fun. It was great to see the kid catch a touchdown pass, and the offensive line lost its **** when the student in gold dominated the pass protection drill. One of the chicks even surprised by making two extra points.
    km4rN8B.jpg
  • Based on the look test, Jared Bartlett was totally deserving of the Iron Mountaineer award.
  • Devin Carter is entertaining- dude loves to talk, and I always saw him hyping up his teammates or giving them hell. Can't hurt to have a guy like that in the locker room.
    ejFQdni.jpg
  • It was funny to listen to the refs banter at the end. "They're going to ice the kicker in a spring game? Is it that serious?!?"
  • One annoying part of scrimmages like this is the refs blowing the whistle whenever someone gets close enough to breathe on a quarterback. Greene definitely could have done some more damage on his runs out there, and I would have liked to see Marchiol have a little more time to do something in the pocket. Better safe than sorry, though, I suppose.
  • On that note, I have a hunch that the offense is really going to emphasize the QB run game this year, since we have two guys who are capable of it.
  • I feel like the team really needs another playmaker at wide receiver this fall. The good news is I was standing next to one on the sidelines (Rodney Gallagher), but you can't expect too much from a true freshman.
  • Jimmy Bell - it's funny how a guy who looks like a beast on the basketball court suddenly isn't so big on the football field. It looked like he'd started to fill out a little, but at 6-10 you figure he can stand to put on quite a bit more weight. It's a good story, but I really don't see how he can contribute much this fall. Even assuming he has the size and athletic ability, that's not enough to get by at this level, and it's been several years since he played football at all. Would've been nice to have him a few years ago and give him some time to develop.
    COdPuMH.jpg
  • I like what I've seen from Davoan Hawkins so far. I don't think he'll be a star by any means, but he should be a solid part of the rotation.
    5c9M75r.jpg
  • Kole Taylor looks like a great fit at tight end. He made some nice catches out there, and not just easy ones.
    3mxB6Gv.jpg
  • Jaheim White was good out there, right? Seems like it's been a while since we've had a short/shifty back like that.
    FfV1hG2.jpg
  • Keenan was hyped by the fried chicken for the press box meal and naturally could not resist badmouthing tacos to anyone within earshot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News