ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING UPDATE Musket Blasts: Final June Officials

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--West Virginia is now up to 11 commitments with the final summer official visits set to begin. That total could be growing after the weekend, but as per the norm I'm not going to throw out a bunch of expected commitment totals. Still, there are players coming to campus that are very high on the program so it will be interesting to see how things shake out.

--Among those expected are:

June 22-24:
Middle Village (N.Y.) Christ The King 2023 cornerback Tayvon Nelson
Manassas (Va.) Unity Reed 2023 linebacker Amare Campbell
Denver (N.C.) East Lincoln 2023 linebacker Ben Cutter

June 23-25:
Spartanburg (S.C.) 2023 quarterback Raheim Jeter
Spartanburg (S.C.) defensive lineman Cameron Jackson
Rock Hill (S.C.) Northwestern 2023 wide receiver Elijah Caldwell
Chesapeake (Va.) Oscar Smith 2023 athlete Tory Johnson
Port St. Lucie (Fla.) Treasure Coast 2023 defensive lineman Corey McIntyre
Macon (Ga.) Northeast 2023 offensive lineman Johnny Williams
Blairstown (N.J.) 2023 tight end William Dixon

I'm still waiting to hear back on Munhall (Pa.) Steel Valley 2023 safety Cruce Brookins after he performed in front of the coaching staff yesterday in the camp setting. But as for the rest that is a solid group with eight uncommitted players and two players already pledged to the program. The last weekend is always interesting in the sense that decisions are often made for both parties so it will be worthwhile to track what comes out of these visits and where each party stands.

--If we're 'circling' players that will be in town this weekend essentially all of the guys that aren't committed are in play. Some of them already had pre-determined commitment dates so that is something to watch, but overall the program has a great shot with each of the guys expected.

--Looking at each position, even with Spartanburg (S.C.) 2023 quarterback Raheim Jeter in the fold the Mountaineers continue to look at additional options at the position. I think whether Jeter makes his trip as planned this week and what comes from that visit could go a long way toward what will happen next here. I do think regardless there is a very real possibility that the Mountaineers end up with a second quarterback in the class.

--West Virginia is done at running back with Norcross (Ga.) Meadowcreek 2023 running back Jordan Louie and York (Pa.) 2023 running back Jahiem White but now the program is going to have to hold onto them. Both players are going to be in high-demand this season.

--Uniontown (Pa.) Laurel Highlands 2023 athlete Rodney Gallagher is as all in as any recruit I've seen in recent years as he has been a constant presence on campus but they need to get some players to pair with him at the wide receiver spot. Rock Hill (S.C.) Northwestern 2023 wide receiver Elijah Caldwell is under the radar right now but watch his tape

and you'll see why the coaching staff is pushing hard. Caldwell is a big wide receiver that is plenty fast too after being clocked at 22 miles per hour this summer. For reference, that would be one of the fastest, if not the fastest, times on the team and he will be in town this week. Some other names to watch are Raleigh (N.C.) Millbrook 2023 wide receiver Nathan Leacock, Chesapeake (Va.) Western Branch wide receiver Paul Billups, Idaho Falls (Id.) Skyline wide receiver Kenyon Sadiq and Gainesville (Fla.) P.K. Yonge wide receiver Jaren Hamilton, among others but I expect all of those to spill into the fall.

--Chesapeake (Va.) Oscar Smith 2023 athlete Tory Johnson and Blairstown (N.J.) 2023 tight end William Dixon will both take an official visit this coming weekend at the tight end spot and if all goes well there is a chance that position is effectively wrapped up after the weekend. That is me projecting some, but both players have been to campus and really like what the program has going on right now. The biggest question to me right now is if Dixon, who is a post graduate player, will remain in the 2023 class or is there the possibility that he moves up and enrolls early? I truly don't know what's on his mind right now but it is something to consider as he was a standout in camp with both his size and speed.

--Downingtown (Pa.) Downingtown West 2023 offensive lineman Cooper Young is in the fold on the offensive line but right now I don't sense a major rush here like I do at some other spots. Of course, Macon (Ga.) Northeast 2023 offensive lineman Johnny Williams is taking an official visit this weekend after visiting in the spring and they'd love to add him but I think this is likely a year you see the offensive line total more 2-3 more instead of 4 more. Some of that is related to the supply, but there are also more options available at the junior college and transfer portal level to fill needs. This is the one spot I'm not as sure how it will play out yet although there are some names like Orlando (Fla.) Evans 2023 offensive tackle Chrisdasson Saint-Jean and others still out there.

--West Virginia already has three true defensive linemen in the class in Covington (Ga.) Newton 2023 defensive tackle Justin Benton, Spartanburg (S.C.) defensive lineman Cameron Jackson and Beaufort (S.C.) 2023 defensive lineman Eamon Smalls as well as a bandit in Philadelphia (Pa.) St. Joseph's 2023 defensive end James Heard but things aren't done here. As far as the big boys, the Mountaineers would love to round out the class with legacy prospect Port St. Lucie (Fla.) Treasure Coast 2023 defensive lineman Corey McIntyre on his official visit. The program also is involved with Riverside (W.Va.) 2023 defensive end Braydin Ward, who has the frame and athleticism to become special down the line. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some other edge rushers in play too but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel here.

--Philadelphia (Pa.) St. Joseph's 2023 linebacker Josiah Trotter is a player that the program is extremely high on for the future and believes that he can be a multi-year starter. But around him the Mountaineers are still in the mix for several others including Manassas (Va.) Unity Reed 2023 linebacker Amare Campbell and Denver (N.C.) East Lincoln 2023 linebacker Ben Cutter. Both will take their official visits this coming weekend and are high on the program. Campbell has been to Maryland and is scheduled to go to North Carolina right after this trip, while Cutter has long been highly interested in the Mountaineers football program.

--Like on the offensive side on the line, defensive back is still somewhat up in the air as the coaching staff looks at options. Middle Village (N.Y.) Christ The King 2023 cornerback Tayvon Nelson, Niceville (Fla.) 2023 cornerback Jayden Sheppard, Towson (Md.) Calvert Hall 2023 defensive back KP Price and Baltimore (Md.) Mount St. Joseph 2023 safety Carter Davis are four that I know are on the board, while there are some others receiving attention, too. I don't have any sort of timeline here, but I do know there is a ton of excitement about Fairfield (Oh.) 2023 defensive back Josiah Jackson. It will also be interesting to see what comes from the camp stops of Fairfield (Oh.) 2023 athlete Jordan Jackson and Munhall (Pa.) Steel Valley 2023 safety Cruce Brookins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News