ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland planned on using a triangle-and-two had they played Kentucky

wvpaper

All-Conference
Nov 21, 2010
I still say we should have tried it.

Edited due to link--by Vernon

Last edited by a moderator:
Defense was not the huge problem vs Ky. We could not do anything on offense. And we made the mistake of opening our big mouths before the game. With the huge mismatches that we had going against us - be humble and hope they are not focused. WVU deserved what happened to us.

I wonder if Gale Catlett suggested it to the Maryland coach? Gale loved the triangle and two.

Practiced a new defense for a possible opponent, instead of prepping for the actual opponent?

How'd that work out?

Defense was not the huge problem vs Ky. We could not do anything on offense. And we made the mistake of opening our big mouths before the game. With the huge mismatches that we had going against us - be humble and hope they are not focused. WVU deserved what happened to us.
I was hoping for a perfect game from us, and to catch Kentucky looking forward, and hoping for no more than a 20 point loss. Providing them locker room material was about the last thing we needed. Beat downs are hard to take.

I disagree Woody. The offensive woes certainly led to major problems but I believe it led to a major mental breakdown, which led to the defensive woes. They did anything they wanted to us offensively. When all else fails, always play defense and WVU just seemed to mentally cave in and gave up of sorts.

Practiced a new defense for a possible opponent, instead of prepping for the actual opponent?

How'd that work out?

i just remember an asshat, pretender, wannabe, google boy telling me it was a ridiculous idea to play a 'church league' defense against kentucky.

lol

I'd say the fact that we were athletically outmanned at almost every position had a lot to do with the outcome. Their front line was long and athletic and their guards were as quick as ours but 6" taller. And telling them they didn't play hard was prolly a bad idea. The fact that Kentucky players said the goal was to beat us by fifty kinda proves that.

Junk defense!
I tried to find a pic of Cat in that luxurious leather jacket for my avatar to no avail.

LOL!

If you noticed, TV coverage showed Calipari getting off the bus for UK's Final Four game in a black leather blazer. Gale may have been more of an innovator than we thought.

I've got to give him credit, Catlett could do more with those junk defenses in the last two-three minutes of a tight game than any coach I've ever seen. He seemed to have his own variations of every defense in existence. He confused the hell out of opposing coaches with those defenses, a young Calipari being one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT