ADVERTISEMENT

london broil question

stevek01

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2010
Is that a cut of meat that is good to smoke ? What type of rub would.work best ?

Thanks for any info or tips

I've never smoked it. I have grilled and roasted it before. If you do grill it, you want to treat it like a sirloin and slice it against the grain on a platter prior to serving. It isn't overly tender but has good flavor and has a feel in your mouth similar to a sirloin. If you roast it, it will pretty much fall apart like a good pot roast should.

You can smoke it but it will have to be a very quick smoke after a sear. I would recommend marinating, cold smoking (if possible) and then grilling the cut.

Can you elborate on the searing and COLD SMOKE ? Thanks for your time BCM. I just bouhgt a london broil instead of a brisket thinking it might be easier to get tender after smoking.What do you think about injecting with a marinate ? I have smoked brisket maybe 8-10 times and it never realy turns out as tender as i think it should.It always has good flavor but just always like chewing shoe leather,well maybe not that bad :) anyway,thanks again for any tips

Steve you would have to have a smoker or a method where you can put smoke on the meat but don't cook it. My smoker has a cold smoke setting where I can smoke things like cheeses, fish and meat without actually cooking it..You then have the smoke flavor but you can cook (fish, meat) the way you would regularly cook it...

Injecting works great but isn't totally necessary imo, if you use a good marinade.

The problem with the London Broil is that you are going to want to eat it medium rare and it is going to get to medium rare in a very short time in the smoker. Kind of not worth it unless you can get a heavy smoke on it. That's why i mentioned the cold smoking method.

If it was me, and it's not, I would go with Bru's advice and marinate it, grill it and cut it thin, against the grain. Can't go wrong there.

London Broil and flank are two of my favorite things to grill...

I might suggest . . ..

liquid smoke for a similar effect.
wink.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT