ADVERTISEMENT

Local Morgantown Restaurants

Mog

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Morgantown, WV
Taken from my post on the eats board...

Here's a list of local (i.e. non-chain) restaurants in Morgantown and my quick thoughts on them. Everyone has different preferences, so I'm sure some people will hate places I love and vice-versa. Note that some restaurants are grouped in multiple categories.

*** indicates a restaurant is one of my favorites / top recommendations.

African

Africana Cherith - Located in the former Kenyan Cafe location at Chelsea square behind Los Mariachi's and Pugs. I've never tried it.

American
(Sitdown restaurants serving typical American fare)
Archie's Lakehouse - They have a pretty big crowd-pleasing menu. Nothing really exceptionally good or bad. The best part about this place is eating outside on the deck next to the lake.
The Bank - Restaurant located in the former Wesbanco location on High St. I haven't tried the place since they revamped their menu to be more casual, focusing on mac & cheese and melts.
Boston Beanery - The Beanery is a Morgantown staple with locations on High St, Patteson Dr, and The Pines Country Club. It's a solid soup and sandwich type of place. I like eating at the one on Patteson before basketball games. The French Dip has always been my go-to choice here.
Charlie's Grill - Located in Westover. It's been many years since I've tried it out.
***Iron Horse Tavern - A fairly new gastropub type of place on High St that features a great rotating selection of beers on tap from breweries around the state. They have a unique menu that they switch up pretty regularly. Be sure to order the tater tots as an appetizer
Montmartre - Pretty standard steakhouse at the top of Hotel Morgan on High St. I think it's good but a little pricey for what you get.
Morgantown Brewing Company - Brewpub with a variety of burgers and sandwiches on the menu.
Regatta Bar and Grille - Restaurant at the Waterfront Place Hotel. I believe there are plans to replace it with a Brazillian Steakhouse in the near future. Good food, but a little on the expensive side.
Table 9 - This is a neat little gastropub hidden back on the Mon River on the Waterfront. They have a nice atmosphere, and it's great when you can sit outside. Kind of like Iron Horse in that they have a quirky menu (I'd never heard of Devils on Horseback before coming here).
Tropics - Located in Cheat Lake, they have a Hawaiian themed menu. I've just been here once on a Wednesday and was a little weirded out since it seemed like I was there for dinner and everyone else was just there to drink at the time. It's a good alternative to the Lakehouse if you're in the area.
***Yesterday's - This is one of my favorites in town. Really nice atmosphere with three different sections to the restaurant - a main bar area, a somewhat more formal indoor area, and a covered patio. They recently revamped their menu which has a little bit of everything. If you get a sandwich, be sure to try the sweet potato wedges as a side (they're ridiculously good).

American - Casual (Mostly order at the counter restaurants with some diners mixed in)
***Black Bear Burritos - Morgantown staple with locations downtown and in Suncrest. It has a bit of a hippy vibe, and both locations have live music. Don't be fooled by the name- you' won't be getting Mexican food here. They serve wraps, and they're awesome. Sgt Peppers with steak and the Rail Trail quesadilla are my favorites. Great beer selection as well. Good option for vegetarians.
Campus Canteen - Old Greasy Nick's. Cheap lunch place for students.
Classics - On Greenbag Rd in Sabraton. Never tried it.
Clutch Wing Shop - Pretty much a takeout place that features wings, tater tots, and melts. I like the food, but it's a little expensive for what you get. I would advice against getting takeout wings if you're not already downtown, because the skin inevitably loses its crispness when it's boxed up.
***Dirty Bird - They do fried chicken and chicken sandwiches, and they do it well. The Vera Cruz is the best chicken sandwich I've ever had, and the Blue Ribbon is great as well. Their hours are limited, though, only open 11-5 Tue/Wed/Sat and 11-7 Thu/Fri.
The Grind - Small cafe attached to the Book Exchange downtown.
High Street Pasta Co - Neat little bistro downtown. You basically get all-you-can eat homemade pasta with your choice of sauce.
Jersey's Subs - Standard sub shop on the Mileground, known for their cheesesteaks.
Mid-Atlantic Market - Not really a restaurant, but they have a nice deli counter with takeout sandwiches. I haven't tried it.
Morgan's High St. Diner - Classic diner fare for breakfast and lunch. This place is probably worth stopping by once just to look at all the old Morgantown pictures/memorabilia hanging on the walls.
Real Juice Bar & Cafe - Downtown on Pleasant St. Never tried it.
Ruby & Ketchy's - Diner in the Cheat Lake area. It's been around for ages, though to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of their food.
Soul Brothers - Downtown on Walnut St. Never tried the restaurant, though they did have some good mac & cheese at a cookoff in the summer.
Tailpipes - Best pure burger joint in town. They have good fries and milkshakes as well.
The Tea Shoppe at Seneca Center - My wife loves this place. You'd go here for afternoon tea and a sandwich, though not a big meal. They have some nice little desserts.
***Terra Cafe - They're big on the whole farm to table thing. They have some really good sandwiches with the Salmon Omega Club and Roast Beef Chimichurri being my favorites. If you can walk by their dessert case and not end up buying something, you are an incredibly strong-willed person. They're amazing. They also have a small tapas menu for dinner.
Tudor's Biscuit World - This is a chain, but it's local to WV, so I included it anyhow. I've never tried their lunch/dinner menu.
Tutto Gelato - I've never tried the lunch menu. They have an assortment of paninis and salads. They also have pizza cones which look really good.
Wall Street Grill - Formerly Maxwell's downtown. I haven't tried it.
The Wine Bar at Vintner Valley - Located in Suncrest on Burroughs St. Haven't tried it.

Asian
Asian Bistro - Located on Northpoint Plaza at the end of the Mileground. My favorite Asian place in town, they serve a variety of cuisines. I'm always impressed by the effort they put into presentation. The bulgogi is amazing, and I love their orange chicken as well.
Chaang Thai - Probably the most popular Asian restaurant, located on High St, I like it a lot as well. My favorite memory of this place was last Thanksgiving. We'd made dinner the Saturday before, and by the time Thursday rolled around, we were tired of leftovers, and this was one of the few restaurants open. So my wife and I had our own little Christmas Story type of dinner.
China City - In Sabraton. Never tried it.
Lavender Cafe - Down on Beechurst. Never tried it. A friend of mine that works downtown loves to order from here for lunch.
Peking House - Chinese place on Van Voorhis that's been around for ages. Nothing really special about it. Probably a good lunch spot if you're in the area and in the mood for Chinese.

Bakeries
Nonna's Bakery & Deli - Never stopped in here, though I know their chocolate chip cookies are good.

Barbeque
Atomic Grill - This is the restaurant I like to take out of town friends to when they visit. Their mainstays are pulled pork, brisket, pulled chicken, ribs, and burgers. They also have some really good bbq sauces. The WV bbq sauce is fantastic, and I love the mustard sauce on chicken. They usually have some interesting specials. Example would be the rabbit burgoo served over a split corn muffin I had recently. They're also big on the farm to table movement. Their main location is at the intersection of Greenbag Rd and the Kingwood Pike. They also started serving food at 123 Pleasant St, though I've never tried it there.
Best Barbecue Ever - Located with Smitty's Kountry Kreme in Sabraton. I haven't tried it.
Martin's BBQ Joint - Martin's is more of a classic/casual style barbeque restaurant. I get takeout from here a lot more often than I eat in. In addition to the regular bbq fare, they have some neat additions like Redneck tacos (bbq, sauce, and slaw on a hoecake), bbq baked potatoes, and brisket tacos. Their coconut cake is stupid good, but I think they only serve it on weekends. If you like hot stuff, try the devil's nectar bbq sauce.
Russ' Ribs - Located in Sabraton. Never tried it.
Woodburn Shanks - At the old Mountaineer Mall. Never tried it.

Bars
Bartini - They expanded their menu recently from apps to full meals. I haven't tried it.
Crockett's - Gotta love a place that has goal posts from the 84 Penn State game above the bar. They have great wings.
Fat Daddy's - On Chestnut St. Never tried it.
Frosted Mug - On Greenbag Rd. Never tried it.
Gene's Beer Garden - Hole in the wall type of place in South Park. Known for their chili dogs, but I've only been in here for a beer.
Gibbie's Pub - Gibbie's is the longest-lasting bar on High St I can think of. They serve pretty standard bar fare.
Jameson's - On High St. Never tried it.
***Kegler's - The best pure sportsbar in Morgantown. They're known for the wings, regularly winning the people's choice award in the local annual wing cookoff. The hot honey bbq sauce is my favorite. The New York strip hot melt is one of my favorite sandwiches in town.
Mario's Fishbowl - The Fishbowl on Richwood Ave is the place your parents went to in college and want to stop by and revisit whenever they come back in town. Total dive bar with a great atmosphere. Pretty typical bar food. They recently opened up a new location (with a lot more space) in Suncrest.
McClafferty's - Irish Bar downtown. Never eaten here.
Mason Jar - Out in Granville. Never tried it.
Rocktop - On Chestnut St. Never tried it.
Rusted Musket - Solid drunk food. They serve double decker sandwiches with fries and slaw on top.
Sabraton Station - At the old Archie's location. Never tried it.
***Schmitt's Saloon - The best place to see live bands in town. Their deep fried pepperoni rolls with marinara are oh so wrong, but oh so right. Their BFG wings (baked, fried, grilled) are really good as well. The meatball hoagie is awesome.
Sports Page - Sports bar on High St that's been around for ages. I've never tried their food.
Tanner's Tavern - In Sabraton. I haven't tried it.
Town Hill Tavern - Known for their chili dogs. Never tried it.
***Varsity Club - Right across the street from the stadium, they have a really good menu.

Breakfast
Regatta Bar and Grille - At Waterfront Place Hotel. Never tried their breakfast.
Morgan's High St. Diner - Standard diner fare, breakfast all day long.
Ruby & Ketchy's - Diner in the Cheat Lake area. Not the biggest fan.
***Terra Cafe - They have a bit of a unique breakfast menu. I really like the Santa Fe Egg Wrap.
Tudor's Biscuit World - Local chain to WV. If you're looking for a heart attack on a biscuit, this is your place.
Wall Street Grill - Formerly Maxwell's downtown. I haven't tried it.

Coffee, Tea, Juice (Places you would go to just for a drink)
Blue Moose Cafe - Hippy hangout that's been around on Spruce St for ages.
The Grind - Small cafe attached to the Book Exchange downtown.
Real Juice Bar & Cafe - Downtown on Pleasant St. Never tried it.
Slight Indulgence - Neat little market on Collins Ferry that has a wide selection of wine, coffee, chocolates, cigars, and other specialty food items.
***Terra Cafe - I'm not much of a coffee aficionado, but they made the best cappuccino I've ever had.
The Tea Shoppe at Seneca Center - If you want a pot of afternoon tea, this is your place.
Tutto Gelato - Never had their coffee, but I tried the affogato at a charity event, and it was ridiculously good.

Fine Dining (Not necessarily "true" fine dining, but at least these are the types of places you'd go to for a fancy meal or to impress someone)
Cafe Bacchus - Nice place on the end of High St that's been around for several years. It's a pretty neat atmosphere since they basically built a restaurant into an old house. They don't have an extensive menu, but they typically do a few things very well. They have some neat events from time to time like an annual dinner featuring dishes served on the Titanic.
***Dancing Fig - This has become one of my favorite restaurants in town over the past year or so. It's located above Zenclay on University Ave. They call themselves an Italian restaurant, but really they just feature a few Italian specialties. The chicken marsala is one of the best dishes you can order in town. My wife is a big fan of the Salvio. Be sure to try the carving board appetizer.
***Sargasso - One of the fanciest places in town, located on Don Knotts Blvd. They change up their menu monthly (usually some unique options) and put out consistently good food. The desserts are usually really good as well.
Stefano's - Located below Suburban Lanes, they probably have the most "froufrou" menu out there. The food is great but expensive. The atmosphere is a little on the stuffy side for my taste.
Tin 202 - New place on High St. Ive only tried it a time or two but have enjoyed it. Be sure to try the tiramisu if you go here- it's stupid good.
Vintage Room - Under Bent Willey's on Chestnut St. I've never tried it. They have some different appetizers (fondue), pizza, and nice entrées.

Indian
Mother India - In a plaza next to the post office on the end of High St. Never tried it.
Saffron - On the Mileground. Never tried it.

Italian
Colasante's - It's been several years since I've been here. Colasante's has been around Westover for ages. More of a casual place, I put it a few steps behind Oliverio's and Pug's in terms of food. Not bad, not outstanding. They serve pizza and calzones in addition to the usual pasta dishes.
Oliverio's - My #2 Italian place in town, but great as well. I know it's a lot of people's fav. Really nice atmosphere down on the Waterfront with outdoor seating. They have more of a classical American-Italian menu. Try the angel hair crab ball appetizer. Good dessert selection as well.
Provoloni's - A relatively new restaurant at Pierpont Landing, the food and service have been hit or miss for me. Some days it's really good, some not so much. I can't really think of any meals that stand out in my mind, though I do really like their salads.
***Puglioni's - Pug's has always been one of my favorites in Morgantown. The first thing that you have to mention when it comes to Pug's is the bread. They give you your own loaf with dinner, drizzled with butter and oil. It's amazing- the best restaurant bread anywhere. My favorite entrees are the fettuccine carbonara and the chicken putanesca (you'd better like garlic if you order that). For lunch the hybrid hoagie with half meatballs, half sausages is perfect, and they have great fries as well. They also serve pizza and calzones, though I haven't tried them much. It's a small restaurant and they don't take reservations, so be prepared to wait a bit if you show up during dinner rush on Friday or Saturday.

Japanese / Sushi
Hibachi Japanese Steak House - Hibachi is the place I inevitably compare all other Japanese steakhouses to. I love how they cook the steak & shrimp with fried rice. It probably helps that several of the chefs have been there for ages. Having said that, the building its really looking run down these days, and it's in desperate need of a makeover. And on that note, it appears the health department shut them down for a week or two because of a roach problem. Yuck.
Fujiyama - The other Japanese steak house in town, I don't like the food as much as Hibachi. I think that's because the last few times I've been there the chef cut the steak into such small pieces, it was impossible to get it a good medium rare. On the other hand, the interior is very nice, and the chefs tend to be flashier than at Hibachi, so it's probably a better place to take kids.
Ogawa - If you're in Morgantown and want sushi, this is the place to go. Not sure what else to say about the place.
Volcano - Another sushi place that opened a couple years ago. I haven't tried it.
Yama - A little hole in the wall restaurant Fayette St. It's been around for ages, but somehow I've never been here. I know it has a devoted following.

Mediterranean
Ali Baba - Ali Baba has been around Morgantown in multiple locations for ages. They're in the Morgantown airport now. I really enjoyed the kebab the one time I went there in the current place. I just never think to go back, probably because of the awkward location.
The Greeks - Never tried it. Located on ground level of an apartment complex on Beechurst. I don't know where you'd park if you wanted to go there.
Jasmine Grill - Been here once. Enjoyed the pita I had, but frozen crinkle-cut french fries didn't impress me.
Zaytun - A new place on High St, it looks like the menu has a pretty wide variety with a few Mediterranean specialties. Never tried it.

Mexican
Chico's Fat Burritos - A Chipotle style restaurant on High St. Never tried it.
Don Patron - At Pierpont Landing. I want to like this place since it's a quick drive for me, but the few times I've been there the food quality has been consistently lacking.
Garcia's Latin Market - On the far end of High St, this place is kind of half specialty Mexican grocery store, and half Mexican deli. I've never tried the food here.
Habanero's Mexican Grill - At the Suncrest Towne Centre. Just do yourself a favor and drive a mile down the road to Los Mariachi's. I can't fully express how sad I am that this place replaced Carmona's when it moved to Kingwood.
Los Mariachi's - I don't think there are any great Mexican restaurants in Morgantown, but this is the best of the bunch. This place seems packed just about any time you're there since it's popular both with students and people working at the hospitals, Mylan, etc. Pretty standard Mexican fare at good prices.
Mariachi Loco - If you're shopping at WalMart and are in the mood for Mexican, this is your place.
Rio Grande - I know a lot of people prefer Rio Grande over Los Mariachi's. I've only been here a time or two, but it doesn't seem like there's much difference between the two to me.
Wings Ole - Located in Suburban Plaza near Kegler's and by the Westover Bridge downtown. It's been around for ever. I really don't like the place. It's just bad Tex-Mex to me. My wife loves it. They certainly have their following.

Microbreweries
Chestnut Brew Works - Not really a place you'd go for a full meal. Just a place where you can get some snacks while hanging out and having a few local beers. I'm a fan of their South Park Porter.
Morgantown Brewing Company - They brew their beer on site and have a standard menu with burgers and sandwiches. The Zach Morgan IPA is my fav from their selections.
Mountain State Brewing Company - They brew their beer down in Thomas, but they have all of the selections on tap here. One of my favorite pizza places in town. Try the Miner's Daughter Oatmeal Stout.

Pizza
Casa D' Amici - A High St staple. They do a lot of business with the late night college crowd. It's been ages since I've tried it.
Fat Angelo's - Probably not a place you'd bother trying unless you live in the Cheat Lake area.
Frank Anthony's - Located on Beechurst. Never tried it.
Milano's Pizza - Next to Yesterday's at Northpointe plaza. Never tried it.
***Mountain State Brewing Company - Really nice atmosphere with outdoor seating on the Waterfront. Their pizza has a thin-ish crust. Can't go wrong with the Fire on the Mountain pizza. They usually have a couple other local beers in addition to their own on tap.
PeppeBroni's - In a plaza on 705 near Sheetz. Never tried it.
***Pies & Pints - I give them the nod on food over Mountain State because their non-pizza menu is much better. The pulled pork nachos are amazing. The Chicken Gouda is my favorite pizza. They have a nice selection of beer as well.
Pizza Al's - I've never tried Pizza Al's, but I know many people swear by it as the best in town.
Tortoni's - Fairly new place on High St. Never tried it.

Seafood
Coach's Crab Shack - Their original location is on Collins Ferry Rd, and they recently opened up a new one on Cheat Lake near the Ices Ferry Bridge. If you go to Coach's, you'll want to get a steamer. They are awesome. My favorite is the Shack Classic which has crab legs, shrimp, clams, kielbasa, potatoes, corn, and hushpuppies. I usually get it with the garlic butter sauce. Their entrees aside from steamers are just average, though. Word of warning - service can be on the slow side sometimes.
Flying Fish - A neat little seafood market/restaurant at Pierpont Landing. I like getting takeout from here since it's pretty close to my house. I love their fish taco, which should probably just be called a fish burrito given how big the thing is. Their jerk chicken has a really nice flavor, and the fish and chips are solid as well.

Sunday Brunch
Cafe Bacchus - They make some great omelets, and they have homemade sausage. The cobb salad is great, but you better like strong blue cheese if you order it. The strawberry blitz may as well be a dessert.
***Dancing Fig - The pork belly benedict comes with a spicy hollandaise sauce, and it's my favorite. The pasta carbonara is really good if you're looking for a lunch option. My wife loves the croque madame.
Iron Horse Tavern - Fried donut holes coated in cinnamon and sugar with a vanilla porter dipping sauce? Yes please.
Table 9 - They serve brunch on Saturday and Sunday. I've only tried their brunch once, but the hash I had was great.
***Terra Cafe - They do a great buffet for Sunday brunch. The hard part is not stuffing yourself on all of the desserts they set out.

Sweets (Places you might go to just for a quick dessert)
The Cupcakerie - Downtown and in the the mood for a fancy cupcake? This is your place.
Naticakes - At the Suncrest Towne Centre, they have a frozen yogurt station that you can pile up with your toppings of choice. They also serve cupcakes.
Smitty's Kountry Kreme - Ice cream place with locations in Sabraton and Chelsea Square on Van Voorhis. I haven't tried it.
***Tutto Gelato Cafe - Located at Suburban Plaza next to Kegler's, their gelato is awesome. They have 15-20 flavors at any given time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News