ADVERTISEMENT

Just a random thought re: WVU football on a Friday night...

eer2000

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
As I drink a bourbon and contemplate life as a WVU fan in 2024...

Last night, my Youtube feed decided that I needed to watch WVU/BC 1988 again. So, I clicked on the game, and I fast forwarded to a random spot. It was the 3rd QTR, WVU was leading 24-10, and we had the ball at the BC 40, 3rd and 9. Major Harris dropped straight back to pass with "LET'S GO...MOUNTAINEERS" cascading down from the stands, and fired a bullet 30 yards down the middle of the field, hitting Calvin Phillips in stride, who was double-covered at the time. (click on the link below to see the bullet) Phillips would've scored, but tripped up after a BC defender grabbed his heel, falling down at the BC 8-yard line. WVU would go on to score two plays later, and win, 59-19. We would destroy Penn State a week later, 51-30. Then, the week after that, we would annihilate Cincinnati, 51-13.

It's a reminder that, at one time, WVU was straight up the single best team in the entire country. Alabama couldn't hold our jock in '88. Neither could Penn State. Pitt beat Ohio State that year, 45-13, and then lost to us 31-10 a week later on their home field. We were straight up fire.

And we can get there again. Carry on, eer2k.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News