ADVERTISEMENT

Importance of Talent Evaluation vs Recruiting Rankings

nickw79

All-American
Dec 17, 2005
New Orleans
As the NFL draft approaches, I often like to look at player rankings and boards. What sticks out to me after 4 years of Neal Brown leading the program? While our recruiting rankings seem to be doing slightly better under Neal than his predecessors, I’m struck by how few guys we continue to see on draft boards. Right now Dante Stills looks like a 6th rounder while Bryce Ford Wheaton is a 5th - 7th rounder…

- Looking across draft previews you can see that at DE/DL there are guys rated higher than Dante from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Western Kentucky, Toledo, KSU, ISU, GT, App St, CMU, and KU.

- Looking at the OL: Guys slated to be drafted from ND St, Northwestern, NC St, Eastern Michigan, Chattanooga, Old Dominion, and even Shepherd.

- What about WR? 2 guys from Cincy are slated to go before BFW. Wake, Houston, BC, UVA, ISU, Princeton all have guys slated to be drafted ahead of BFW.

We all know that wins on the field are way more important than getting guys drafted or winning the recruiting battles. Completely agree with that. It just seems like there are a lot of other programs who are mining these diamonds from the rough kinda kids better than Brown and company. Or maybe it’s better player development? Hope they can do better in the future if they manage to stay around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News