May 29, 2001
Mountaineer Field season attendance, according to Wikipedia:

2011 56,532 last season in Big East

2012 49,344 Big 12 seasons begin

2013 53,076

2014 56,686

2015 54,826

2016 57,383

Overall, 403,000 fans home and away, 5th best in 37 years of new Mountaineer Field in 2016.

So, 3 of 5 Big 12 seasons had lower average attendance than final 2011 season in the Big East.

This is convoluted math because Wikipedia listed attendance by the games and I had to add the totals and divide by the number of games in MF that season so I may have made errors. If anyone has clearer, more official numbers I’d love to see them.

You probably need a few games on the slate with traditional rivals, in order to pad the average, i.e., home games that are guaranteed sellouts against the likes of Va Tech, Pitt, Marshall, just to name a few.

2013 53,076

2014 56,686

2015 54,826

2016 57,383

Overall, 403,000 fans home and away, 5th best in 37 years of new Mountaineer Field in 2016.

So, 3 of 5 Big 12 seasons had lower average attendance than final 2011 season in the Big East.

This is convoluted math because Wikipedia listed attendance by the games and I had to add the totals and divide by the number of games in MF that season so I may have made errors. If anyone has clearer, more official numbers I’d love to see them.

CF - link to football attendance records going way back in time.

http://www.wvustats.com/sport/football/attendance

Yeah and the fact WV lost over 15k coal mining jobs from 2010-2016 (as well as teacher, deputy sherifff, and county personnel layoffs) was not at all a factor in football ticket sales and attendance. The state even dropped behind Mississippi in economic growth. Still it was all about the Big XII conference that affected attendance.

Yeah and the fact WV lost over 15k coal mining jobs from 2010-2016 (as well as teacher, deputy sherifff, and county personnel layoffs) was not at all a factor in football ticket sales and attendance. The state even dropped behind Mississippi in economic growth. Still it was all about the Big XII conference that affected attendance.

Lol... ...k.

THANK YOU! I'll save it an analyze it and see if I see it differently. My way was clumsy, as I wrote, because I didn't have the MacMountie information. Again, THANKS! I'll save it for future posts or responses to others' posts.

Now that I've gone over MACMountie's information and found some of my own, I was surprised by this:

Often when Mountaineer Field attendance is discussed posters say that winning will bring in larger crowds. Maybe not.

A better record than the previous season, going back to the opening of new Mountaineer Field in 1980, attendance increased 13 times but attendance decreased 7 times despite winning more games.

Even stranger to me, attendance went UP (9 times) more often than DOWN (7 times) despite losing more games.

Record up, attendance up from previous season: 13 times

Record up, attendance down from previous season: 7 times

Record down, attendance down from previous season: 7 times

Record down, attendance up from previous season: 9 times

I've collected other information that I'll use as the season and the posts come along. But thanks again, MACMountie.

You probably need a few games on the slate with traditional rivals, in order to pad the average, i.e., home games that are guaranteed sellouts against the likes of Va Tech, Pitt, Marshall, just to name a few.
We have two of the three on our future schedules. The third team really does not understand the concept of a buy in game and has never been a rival. We also have Maryland and Penn State coming back on the schedule which is of much more interest to WVU fans.

Reactions: TIREPUNK
The season average always hinges on when our last home game is in regards to hunting season.....

Our "fans" choose tree stands over bleachers

Don't know where the hell OP got those numbers in his first post though.....

2012 being sub-50,000? Wut? 55,916 was the average

Last season's average of 57,583 was the largest since Pat White was QB and 8th largest ever

Last edited:
Don't know where the hell OP got those numbers in his first post though.....

He said where he got the number. He got them off Wikipedia, and since they were listed by individual game, he had to manually calculate the averages. He probably just had a typing error when entering one of the figures.

I'm afraid the trend will continue unless this state can reverse its economy, which looks doubtful right now. As one who spends a lot of time with/taking to fans at a couple restaurant meetings a week, I can say there has been a lot of disappointment in losses that seemed games we lost rather than the opponent won.

Attendance and Recruiting is down since joining the Big XII.

Really?? The rest of the conference is competing with each other and other P5 schools while WVU is loading up on 3 stars whose best offers is G5 schools, late qualifying JUCOs and P5 castaways. Granted WVU has been able to compete on the field within the conference but its not like the Big XII teams have been competing outside the conference. And this past draft proved the talent level in the BIG XII is down as well.

WVU is a far cry to the WVU from 10 years ago. I still maintain that WVU should have held out for the ACC or SEC invite. WVU is making more money but your recruiting is a far cry from where it was. Even your 4* signee has been proven to have lied about some of his offers. Alabama.....really??

Reactions: Spookycat2002
I still maintain that WVU should have held out for the ACC or SEC invite.

That would have been stupid. The ACC had already expanded with Pittsburgh and Syracuse. The SEC had already expanded with Missouri and Texas A&M. There was no invite to hold out for.

Really?? The rest of the conference is competing with each other and other P5 schools while WVU is loading up on 3 stars whose best offers is G5 schools, late qualifying JUCOs and P5 castaways. Granted WVU has been able to compete on the field within the conference but its not like the Big XII teams have been competing outside the conference. And this past draft proved the talent level in the BIG XII is down as well.

WVU is a far cry to the WVU from 10 years ago. I still maintain that WVU should have held out for the ACC or SEC invite. WVU is making more money but your recruiting is a far cry from where it was. Even your 4* signee has been proven to have lied about some of his offers. Alabama.....really??

Let's talk Marshall recruiting....

Marshall would compete with Kansas as the weakest Football program in the Big12.

Marshall can't even win a terrible conference like Conference USA.

Sure just beat out WVU for 1 of the top kids in the state a few hours ago.

but this isnt about Marshall.

None of that is accurate or fact based.....

Reactions: still5-0vstarheels

2013 53,076

2014 56,686

2015 54,826

2016 57,383

In the 6 seasons that CFE lists above the average attendance is 54,641. In 37 seasons at new MF total attendance is 2,003,810 or an average of 54,157; a difference of 484. Have a season with bad weather and you'll come up with that difference.

I'd say that the numbers indicate that win or lose or no matter what conference we play in fan attendance is relatively consistent.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34

Does this post qualify as an "excuse"? Yeppers!!!

None of that is accurate or fact based.....

Is any of it true? Seems like some of it was. We know where this class is headed. We know where the verbals have come from so far. We know where the class ranks Nationally. We know where the class ranks within the the conference. Also, it is fairly obvious the kid didn't have a Bama offer. So it can't be the facts you have a problem with. It must be his conclusions and/or opinions he drew from the facts.

Last edited:

2013 53,076

2014 56,686

2015 54,826

2016 57,383

WVU attendance increased 5% last season. This might have something to do with winning games?

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
oh the butt hurt from herd fans is comical. You know nothing about the past or present recruiting at wvu. The NFL would also disagree you. there are a bunch of wvu players currently on NFL rosters, a sign of good recruiting and player development. Taking 3 star kids and developing them has been the norm at wvu coupled with a few 4 star players in each class.
Get it straight or stick to the herd's 3-9 season in cusa.

Really?? The rest

Is any of it true? Seems like some of it was. We know where this class is headed. We know where the verbals have come from so far. We know where the class ranks Nationally. We know where the class ranks within the the conference. Also, it is fairly obvious the kid didn't have a Bama offer. So it can't be the facts you have a problem with. It must be his conclusions and/or opinions he drew from the facts.

Any feedback 5-0 LOL? Or you want to add value with a troll alert like the beta bitch you are.
No Greg. People can read your posts and come up with that conclusion on their own. You seem to mention me in half your posts. Obsessed? Doesn't that make you a beta? Just saying.

Any feedback 5-0 LOL? Or you want to add value with a troll alert like the beta bitch you are.

There is reality and then there is Mountaineer Reality. The mods on this site tend to live in Mountaineer Reality

With easier access to the stadium and parking closer to the stadium I could see thousands more going to games that are travelling a distance to get to the games. Also, what has the price of an average ticket been over the last 10 years or so?

That would have been stupid. The ACC had already expanded with Pittsburgh and Syracuse. The SEC had already expanded with Missouri and Texas A&M. There was no invite to hold out for.
It mystifies me how posters keep saying WVU should have held out for the ACC and SEC when both passed on WVU. The Big 12 was Oliver Luck's last-minute save after the ACC and SEC turned up their noses at letting WVU join their clubs. Otherwise, WVU would have been in the Cincy and UConn boat and -- horrors -- pretty close to the abysmal Marshall level.

There is reality and then there is Mountaineer Reality. The mods on this site tend to live in Mountaineer Reality
Mountaineer Reality includes a top 25 football team, a top 12 men's basketball team, a national champion rifle team, B12 tournament champion women's basketball and soccer teams, a national runner up women's soccer team and a young baseball team who made the NCAA tournament. It also includes a 12-0 record in football, a 5 game win streak in men's hoops and an 11 game win streak in women's basketball against Marshall. Yep you really don't look good in this one fever.

LOL! How's that 250k a year TV deal working out for you there little skipper? You see, the market is the place that tells you what your athletic program is really worth. WVU grossed 105 million last year. Is Hamrick still down in front of the capital with his tin cup and sign? Remind me again what MU's all time record is vs. WVU in football?

I love it when Herd fans come here and talk smack. It breaks up the monotony of my day. [thumb2]

Economic reasons.

The biggest recession since the 1920's had a big impact on ticket sales. Recovering from that was still going on.

WVU fans are still going to support the school and program, despite the conference. You attend games to see the Mountaineers, not the opponents.

College athletics everywhere are struggling to maintain in-stadium and in-arena attendance. Prices have soared, regional draws are slipping away, students only seem to care about the "big game", games are available on media, and the growth of the "if you aren't number one you are nothing mentality" has taken over. It is no longer how hard you play that counts, it is now how much of a beat down did you inflict on your opponent and are you in the playoffs that counts. Smack talkin', smack actin', attitude...sucks.

With easier access to the stadium and parking closer to the stadium I could see thousands more going to games that are travelling a distance to get to the games. Also, what has the price of an average ticket been over the last 10 years or so?
There's NO correlation between rising ticket prices and attendance. If there were, attendance would be going down every year. But it goes up and down. And, no, it's not tied to won-lost record either. My research shows that.

2016 57,949

2015 51,780

2014 59,496

2013 52,386

2012 57,445

2011 53,798

2010 56,117

2009 58,224

2008 54,893

2007 54,383

2006 53,755

2005 50,241