ADVERTISEMENT

I have a 10lb pork butt. I want to smoke this bad boy for Thanksgiving

JLW71073

All-Conference
Aug 7, 2003
however, I have never smoked one before. So a couple of questions. Any recommended prep methods? Brining? dry rub? other methods? Second, any guestimate on how long it will take to smoke? I was thinking it could be a 10 to 12 hour smoke on a slow low method. I usually smoke around 250 with hickory.

Tips, trick and hints are appreciated.

I'm sure bcm can help ya, but a good website for tips is thesmokering.com
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

BTW typical smoke time is 1 1/2 hrs per lb
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Definitely check out The Smoke Ring. It's a great site. I would at least consider Cherry or Apple for the smoke, which will give a milder, "sweeter" smoke flavor. Many of the pros use a mustard rub. They claim that the flavor disappears and that the purpose is to help the flavor from any dry rub you use penetrate the meat. I read somewhere (probably one of the Smoke Ring forums) that preping with vegetable oil will result in better flavor penetration. I think the reasoning is that the ingredients in the dry rub are oil soluble, so the oil will break them down into liquid form. Made sense to me, so I always use oil before the rub.

Be sure to rest it after smoking. Most folks use a cooler, to hold in moisture.

you know I just lightly rub some plain ole yellow mustard on it and then put a BBQ rub on it. I use Bad Byron's Pork Butt Rub. Creates a really nice bark.

But I'll smoke usually at around 250, with a drip pan beneath it. And I'll sometimes put a little apple juice in the drip pan. I've even used beer in the drip pan. I don't think it matters.

And I usually use cherry chunks (chips burn up too fast). I like the milder smoke flavor than say a hickory. And I'll cook it until 195 in the middle. Just seems to pull apart so damn easy.

Also, if for some reason the butt gets done so much earlier than say dinner, then you can always wrap in foil, then put it in a cooler with towels around it. It will stay damn hot for a LONG time that way. I've done that for 6 hours before and it was still too hot to pull by hand. The only drawback is that it somewhat steams it a little and the bark is not at crispy as before.

I really don't think you can screw up a pork butt.

Also, the 1 1/2 hours per lb is a good guess but I have also found each pork butt is different. And be patient with it. It will go up to maybe to 170 internally and then drop in internal temp. Maybe 3 to 5 degrees. This is where the fat is rendering into gelatin making it moist, juicy and tender. So be patient with it. Don't try to bump up the cooking temp during this time. Just know it will happen and it is normal. Could take 1 hour, could take 2 during this??? Who knows. Each cook is different.

Once you cook one, you'll cook more and never want pulled pork from a BBQ restaurant.

Let us know how it goes.
This post was edited on 11/9 10:15 PM by Stone_Cold

I agree on the mustard. You can't taste it at all. Burns off and makes for a nice bark with the rub on it. Really I just use it because that's what I've been doing from day 1 and it holds the rub on really well.

I do want to try a really spicy mustard one of these days to see if maybe the spiciness stays a little.............

I agree Stone_Cold, on the part about which wood to use for smoking

Hickory is very unforgiving.....I've ruined more than one smoking experience with the bitterness too much hickory smoke can deliver if you use a little too much wood. I haven't used cherry yet, but for me applewood has produced excellent results with pork, and seems to be a lot more forgiving than hickory. An uncle of mine uses only oak when smoking pork or chicken, and with good results every time - at least when I've had the pleasure of sampling his cooking. I have nothing against hickory smoked dishes, I've eaten a lot of good stuff smoked with hickory, it's just that I haven't gotten the handle on how much hickory smoke is enough........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT