All-Conference
Oct 23, 2011
Football

1. Texas-OU
2. Oklahoma-Oklahoma State
3. Texas-Texas Tech
4. Kansas-Kansas State
5. TCU-Texas

Don't know where to place WVU into this equation yet.

Basketball

1. Kansas-Kansas State
3. Texas-Kansas
4. Kansas State vs. WVU ( see the Huggins connection heating this)
5. OU-Texas or Texas vs.Baylor

In basketball

1a-d: Kansas vs any of the old Big 8 schools
2: Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State
3: Any other old Big 8 schools vs one another
4: Oklahoma vs Texas
5: Kansas vs Texas
6: Texas vs any of the old SWC schools

The defection of Missouri really shot down some great rivalries in basketball. Missouri-Kansas was one of the best.

In football... We've lost a lot in terms of good rivalries.

1. Oklahoma vs Texas
2. Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State
3. Kansas vs Kansas State
4. Baylor vs TCU
5. Texas vs Texas Tech
6. Texas vs Baylor

I don't know that there are any others. Kansas' considered Missouri their main rival. Texas Tech and Baylor both essentially consider A&M their main rival whether they'll admit it or not. Obviously Texas-Texas A&M was a big deal. Oklahoma-Nebraska was a great one, and the bitterness between Texas and Nebraska was building nicely.

Originally posted by TheRedSon:
In basketball

1a-d: Kansas vs any of the old Big 8 schools
2: Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State
3: Any other old Big 8 schools vs one another
4: Oklahoma vs Texas
5: Kansas vs Texas
6: Texas vs any of the old SWC schools

The defection of Missouri really shot down some great rivalries in basketball. Missouri-Kansas was one of the best.

In football... We've lost a lot in terms of good rivalries.

1. Oklahoma vs Texas
2. Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State
3. Kansas vs Kansas State
4. Baylor vs TCU
5. Texas vs Texas Tech
6. Texas vs Baylor

I don't know that there are any others. Kansas' considered Missouri their main rival. Texas Tech and Baylor both essentially consider A&M their main rival whether they'll admit it or not. Obviously Texas-Texas A&M was a big deal. Oklahoma-Nebraska was a great one, and the bitterness between Texas and Nebraska was building nicely.

Tech does not have a primary rival.

The closest things to real rivalries we have are with Baylor ,Texas and TCU.

SP - That's why I said you might not admit it. For the Big 12's new initiates, there is a statue of a horse and rider on the Tech campus. You can draw a straight line from the horse's back end directly to the A&M campus in College Station. That takes a certain amount of effort I would think. They do have rivalries with the other Texas schools, and there's a certain dislike between them and the two Oklahoma schools, but they hate Aggie the most.

Most played rivalries in the Big 12 (numbers include this years games):

1. Kansas-Kansas State: 110
2. Baylor-TCU: 108
3. Oklahoma-Oklahoma State: 107
3. Oklahoma-Texas: 107
5. Kansas-Oklahoma: 103
6. Baylor-Texas: 102
7. Iowa State-Kansas State: 96
8. Kansas State-Oklahoma: 93
9. Iowa State-Kansas: 92
10. Texas-TCU: 83

KU v. K-State will be huge in basketball as long as Weber isn't terrible (however, I expect him to win for a year or two and then be terrible like he was at Illinois). KU and K-State were always the biggest rivalry in the Big 8 days. The rivalry dropped off in the early 90's when K-State started focusing on football. K-State crushed KU and Mizzou for 15 years in football and sucked horribly in basketball. Mizzou and KU were similar in football and Mizzou was more competitive with KU in basketball so that rivalry took off. KU v. Mizzou was still only really a big rivalry in KC.

For anyone in Kansas outside of KC and Lawrence, the KU v. K-State game was still the biggest rivalry since there weren't any MU fans around. Bragging rights with your neighbors and co-workers was all based on KU v. K-State. We will see if KU can get competitive in football. If not, K-State will continue to search for a new rival since NU left.

Before anyone from KU jumps in to make some little brother comment and claim that they don't care about K-State, I grew up in Lawrence and graduated from Lawrence High. Living in Lawrence in the 80's and early 90's, no one ever cared about Mizzou. Everything was based on KU v. K-State because they were the two best basketball programs in the Big 8.

Originally posted by Big12Mountaineer:

Football

1. Texas-OU
3. Texas-Texas Tech
4. Kansas-Kansas State
5. TCU-Texas

Basketball

1. Kansas-Kansas State
3. Texas-Kansas
I think you have a pretty good list. The KU-KSU football rivalry could go in the crapper if KU doesn't get better pretty quick. I also think for some reason that WVU will have really good rivalries with ISU, KSU, OSU and Texas Tech. It just seems like you will "fit" better with the fans and cultures of those schools. Just don't burn any of us who try to make the trip to Morgantown and we will be fine.

KU-Texas has been the most anticipated game on the basketball schedule for the last decade or so. There's been some incredible games played between the two. The K-State game is obviously big but the Texas game recently has meant a whole lot more. About 5 years ago there was talks of us playing them once in the non-conference schedule along with playing them once on the conference schedule just so there would be a home/away game every year.

I'd rank the rivalries as;

1. KU-Texas
2a. KU-KSU
2b. OU-OSU(When OU and OSU are contenders this game is really big, I think you can switch them out with KU-KSU any given year)
3. Texas-Baylor

Shit, that's pretty much it. Can't rank WVU yet since nothing's been played but I'm sure after 5 years or so they'll have one established. Kansas State and Kansas would be their obvious choice right now. Possibly Iowa State.

I should have noted, although it's obvious, that I'm basing my basketball rankings more on the last 15 years or so. Obviously KU-KSU historically is much bigger than KU-Texas but recently it hasn't been. We won in Manhattan for like 25 years straight and won something like 32 or 34 straight games against them. Meanwhile they were crushing us in football. The rivalry was there for both sports but knowing the outcome of the game before it's played takes a lot out of the anticipation and bragging rights. And while this was happening we were playing UT to either OT or to the game's outcome not being decided until the final minute.

This post was edited on 10/10 7:39 PM by schoonerwest

SP - That's why I said you might not admit it. For the Big 12's new initiates, there is a statue of a horse and rider on the Tech campus. You can draw a straight line from the horse's back end directly to the A&M campus in College Station. That takes a certain amount of effort I would think. They do have rivalries with the other Texas schools, and there's a certain dislike between them and the two Oklahoma schools, but they hate Aggie the most.
Theres more to that story. Its not exactly the truth.

the truth is that the horses butt faced the business side of lubbock and it was taken to be offensive and it was moved. Total coincidence that it now faces college station (sorta, it actually doesnt face exactly that).

Aggy hate, is varies based on generation of tech fans. The most current generation has a much greater hate of Texas than Aggy, especially considering we dont play them anymore. That will likely move toward TCU in the coming years.

My generation, absolutely hated aggy the most, but we tend to be the outsiders in that.

Football

1. Texas-OU
3. Texas-Texas Tech
4. Kansas-Kansas State
5. TCU-Texas

Basketball

1. Kansas-Kansas State
3. Texas-Kansas
WVU vs KState will become a huge rivalry in bball.

Underrated rivalries in Big 12 football, based on the 16 years of the conference's existence.

Oklahoma -Texas Tech: The Red Raiders have played well against the Sooners in Lubbock and have one of only 4 wins in Norman during the Stoops era.

Texas - Texas Tech: They haven't been as successful against Texas, but the win over #1 Texas in 2008 was huge. Obviously this game has a lot of history.

Oklahoma State - Texas: The Longhorns are 14-3 now against the Cowboys in Big 12 play. That doesn't tell the full story though. Texas has made a habit of overcoming first half deficits against OSU, sometimes huge deficits. In 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007 Texas trailed at the half only to come back and win. Of those games only 2007 was close, and only 2003 was close at half time. 1998, 2002, 2008 and 2012 were all decided, in Texas' favopoint 5 points or less (based on my memory anyway).

Oklahoma State - Texas Tech: In Big 12 play Tech leads the series 9-7. The home team has won almost every contest since Les Miles and Mike Leach took over these programs in 2000. Many of the games responsible for the Big 12's offensive reputation happened in this series. The Cowboys only two wins in Lubbock since WW2 have come in the last two seasons. Tech fans have accused Oklahoma State of trying to copy their traditions. Everything from the mascot, guns and the horse were suppoedly "Xeroxed" from Tech, and to top it off OSU hired Dana Holgorsen as OC in 2010.

Kansas State - Texas: Nobody has a better record against Texas in the Big 12 than Bill Snyder. He consistently gets his JUCO's to outperform
, out smart and out work the 5-stars Texas puts on the field.

Kansas State - Oklahoma: Stoops was an assistant at K-State under Snyder. The Wildcats upset the Sooners in Big 12 championship in 2003 (2004?), and there have been a lot of hard fought games between the two programs ever since Snyder was first hired. Prior to that I believe no team have suffered as many consecutive losses to another than K-State against OU.

There were a few others like these before the conference shakeup. I always enjoyed OSU vs A&M and Missouri for instance, and most of the old North division had an underrated rivalry with Nebraska. Nebraska hated both Texas and Texas A&M and seemed to blame them, rather than Osborne's retirement, for their fall from the pinnacle of the sport.

Baylor is only 1-15 against Oklahoma State. That one win came in Gundy's first year. They were the only employer that has ever fired him (1995 or 96). As such they've always accused him of running up the score. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but all 6 of his wins against them have been lopsided.

You could say the same thing about basketball between Oklahoma, Oklahma State, Texas and Kansas. For the first half of the conference's existence those four schools stood head and shoulders above the rest nearly every year. From 1996-2004 they all reached the Final Four. Iowa State and Texas Tech had some good years in there as well. Kansas State and Baylor were consistently bad teams before they hired Drew and Huggins in the Big 12 era. We have a better basketball conference today than at any point During the first 14 years of the Big 12 even with the two Oklahoma schools struggling. Of the three programs we lost only Missouri mattered, and that program has yet to reach a Final Four.

Originally posted by EERS 2 Ya:

Football

1. Texas-OU
3. Texas-Texas Tech
4. Kansas-Kansas State
5. TCU-Texas

Basketball

1. Kansas-Kansas State
3. Texas-Kansas
WVU vs KState will become a huge rivalry in bball.
I sure hope so. We know WVU will be great at hoops. As my fellow Cat said above, KSU will probably be pretty good for a year or two, we'll see if Weber can avoid the problems that plagued him toward the end of his tenure at Illinois.. There is little doubt he's a good coach, but we're still not sure if he can be the complete package.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT