ADVERTISEMENT

How would anyone enjoy coaching anymore?

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
Really. Recruiting and retention is now a constant thing with so much out of a coach's control. Player development is a thing of the past. And star players control the rules...thus they control the team. "Once a Mountaineer always a Mountaineer " is an out of date philosophy. Media, money and institutional greed has forever destroyed the concept of student athlete. Fan attachment seems to be lossening as well.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Really. Recruiting and retention is now a constant thing with so much out of a coach's control. Player development is a thing of the past. And star players control the rules...thus they control the team. "Once a Mountaineer always a Mountaineer " is an out of date philosophy. Media, money and institutional greed has forever destroyed the concept of student athlete. Fan attachment seems to be lossening as well.
95% will only stick around for the money.

I would enjoy being paid millions a year to coach a meaningless kid's game. Sure would beat my current job. If you know any teams that are looking, let me know.

I would enjoy being paid millions a year to coach a meaningless kid's game. Sure would beat my current job. If you know any teams that are looking, let me know.
You bring up a great point. Football....basketball...are kids games. We the fans make them into something more important. The money follows us not the game. As much as I love Mountaineer games my life never changes regardless of outcome. WVU spending mega millions on infrastructure, coached, and now jocks doesnt change my life .

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I saw a Nehlen interview last year...said if one of his players told him that he wanted to transfer that he'd want to choke him....also said that coaches these days can't be having much fun doing it anymore.

Reactions: Rootmaster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT