ADVERTISEMENT

How the championship at 10 teams could work

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
When they talk about a championship game with 10 teams it doesn't seem to make alot of sense--the schools will have already played each other--so what is the benefit of the two best teams playing again?

The first thing that comes to mind seems to be more money. Probably up to $15 million additional for the league which could mean an extra 1.5 million or so per school.

When you think about some of the other things the league is talking about though--maybe it could work in some ways.

Posters on various boards are always stating the B1G has a tv network--the BTN and the SEC is starting one-and the PAC has one. The BIG 12 doesn't and can't--Texas has a long term deal for the LHN and the other schools have signed their own tier 3 deals. WVU will be getting an additional $9 million from their deal.

So many worry about what could the BIG 12 do to keep up financially with these leagues that can add schools and continue to bring in more revenues?

Right now the BIG 12 has 10 members and 9 conference games. What if they switched back to 8 conference games and split into two divisions of 5 teams each and then played that championship game with 10? The problem is that the tv contracts specify 9 conference games--the networks aren't going to want to give up that valuable inventory probably.

So how do you make up that inventory? Maybe that is what these scheduling alliances could be about. Non-conference games that are attractive and would enhance the BIG 12's tv package--or individual schools earnings power while also improving the SOS for the playoffs. So WVU for example would only play the other four schools in their division, four schools in the other division. Then they'd have four OOC games --two or three matchups with teams from the other major leagues like the SEC that is being discussed. These would likely be valuable games for tv and might allow going back to an 8 game schedule. For a school like WVU then, they could play let's say Pitt, VT--maybe South Carolina, Louisville, Tennessee or Kentucky, maybe Penn State or Ohio State. Play two or three of those each year--and not all at the beginning of the year, but spread out so maybe now WVU has a home game and then a nearby regional OOC game and then travels west.

Then when you play that championship game from each division--there's less of a chance you have played the other team in season. There's also a stronger possibility of more BIG 12 teams having fewer losses--so they are more likely to make the alliance and contract bowls and even the playoffs . SEC teaams showed this year the value of not playing each other as often.

Here could be WVU's schedule in such a situation:

same division matchups
home vs. Texas
away vs. Kansas
home vs. OK State
away vs. Baylor

other division matchups
home vs. TCU
away vs. Iowa State
away vs. Texas Tech
home vs. Kansas State

Then 4 non conference games
home vs. Pitt
away vs. South Carolina
away vs. Maryland
home vs. lower level program

BIG 12 Championship game:
vs. Oklahoma

but the OOC games wouldn't all be at the beginning of the season

I would like the league to expand, but if they don't this is a way the league can continue to increase revenues and strengthen its position in the playoffs.

The best way to strengthen the conference for the playoffs is to emulate the SEC's scheduling.

I like the alliances and noncon games that matter from a viewing perspective, I'd like it even more if we all had a big noncon AND 9 conference games, but that's not going to ensure Big 12 teams make the playoffs.

I'd much rather focus on expansion. That's the only way to ensure the confernce's long term survival.

The scheduling alliance could help B1G 12 teams at the end of the year. SOS will be very important (although not sure how most ACC schools meet that need).

I agree that the BIG 12 will probably be wise to grow like the SEC has and have schools not meet as often in the regular season to have more ranked by the end of the year. If for some reason the valuable teams they need to expand with aren't available though--then the league has to still do things to strengthen their position going forward and the scenario above might be one way to do that.

I bet there's not enough votes to expand more than the expansion partners don't exist. Either that or they simply don't exist et and these moves are premature.

From the things I've read I believe that there are expansion candidates, but they want to remain in the ACC right now. Once the Maryland situation is resolved to a point, we'll probably start to see more realignment happening.

The BIG 12 is probably knows there are limited options to make more money, so they are coming up with variousl possible scenarios. Of course just because they make some scheduling agreements doesn't mean they won't also expand.

In fact Bowlsby said, if the B1G or SEC make any more moves then they will act. The conferences though aren't really looking at the same schools for the most part. The SEC and B1G aren't looking at inviting schools like FSU, Clemson, or Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT