ADVERTISEMENT

Has Huggins overstayed his welcome?

Has Huggins overstayed his welcome?

• Yes

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
I love Huggins but I think we need change in football and basketball.
BULLCRAP! PLAYERS ARE THE PROBLEM, BUT ONLY IN THE FINAL 5 MINUTES. THEY CROAK UNDER THE PRESSURE AND FORGET EVERYTHING BOB TAUGHT THEM IN A ZILLION PRACTICIES! YOU DON'T WIN MORE THAN 900 GAMES BY BEING A BARNEY FIFE COACH!

BULLCRAP! PLAYERS ARE THE PROBLEM, BUT ONLY IN THE FINAL 5 MINUTES. THEY CROAK UNDER THE PRESSURE AND FORGET EVERYTHING BOB TAUGHT THEM IN A ZILLION PRACTICIES! YOU DON'T WIN MORE THAN 900 GAMES BY BEING A BARNEY FIFE COACH!
Interesting that you would use the beloved character played by Morgantown's own Don Knotts as your label of derision. And yes, wins aren’t too are hard to come by when grades, arrest records, and graduation rates are disregarded as you play DePaul and UAB.

Reactions: Rootmaster

You don't win 6 NBA titles by being a bad basketball player, but Jordan surely couldn't play in the league today. Past success does not guarantee future results. Two things can be true at once. A guy can be a good coach with a HOF resume but still lose his touch in the twilight of his career and vastly underperform previous accomplishments. The buck stops with the head coach and when the players are consistently the problem because they "won't listen" at some point you have to place the blame on the guy who keeps recruiting these bad eggs which would be competitors if they would "only listened to Huggins."

BULLCRAP! COACHING AND CULTURE ARE THE PROBLEMS. TOO MANY MOUNTAINS AND NOT ENOUGH CONCRETE COURTS. AND NOT ENOUGH DIVERSITY EITHER. NO TRANNY COACHES OR GYM RATS. COACHES GET NASTY UNDER PRESSURE AND THEY DON'T USE WHAT THEY TEACH THE PLAYERS FOR THE LAST 39 MINUTES OF A 40 MINUTE GAME. HEY YOU DON'T WIN MORE THAN 900 GAMES WITHOUT PLAYING SEVERAL HUNDRED CUPCAKES AND RUNNING OFF A HUNDRED PLAYERS OR SO. BARNEY FIFE WOULD HAVE FIT OUR PROGRAM LIKE A GLOVE!

Reactions: tarponeer2003
Careful now. Your life just got shorter.

If players are the problem, the coach who recruited them is the problem.

If players are the problem, the coach who recruited them is the problem.

SO, THE 3RD WINNINGEST COACH IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL HISTORY IS THE PROBLEM? DO YOU REALIZE HOW THAT MAKES YOU LOOK TO EVEN TYPE THAT? EVERY PLAYER WHO HAS LISTENED TO BOB LIGHTS UP THE SCOREBOARD. EVERY ONE!

SO, THE 3RD WINNINGEST COACH IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL HISTORY IS THE PROBLEM? DO YOU REALIZE HOW THAT MAKES YOU LOOK TO EVEN TYPE THAT? EVERY PLAYER WHO HAS LISTENED TO BOB LIGHTS UP THE SCOREBOARD. EVERY ONE!
Nobody who plays for Huggs "lights up" a scoreboard. He doesn't keep them on the court consistently enough. Oceantide83 shows more understanding of the game than you waterboy.

Who built this roster? Even assuming your premise is completely true, how do you rationalize that WVU under Huggins has a bunch of players who "won't listen" as often as not over the last decade? How did Bob Huggins become the 3rd winningest coach in NCAA history? How did he get those previous players to listen, but not these current ones? Again even if what you say is true, it is obvious Huggins has lost something be it motivating, adapting, recruiting, developing, or keeping up with the changing landscape of college basketball.

See Catlett. He had nine 20 or more win seasons and 7 NCAA tournament appearances in his first 14 seasons at WVU. He had two 20 or more win seasons and 1 NCAA tournament appearances in his last 10 seasons at WVU. Everyone gets older and loses their acumen over time. Some faster than others and the physical goes faster than the mental. But a man on the verge of 70 years old is almost certain to be less in all aspects. It is all the harder for that aged man to perform at an elite level that only a few hundred people on the planet can do at any given time.

I voted no, because I dont think its about overstaying his welcome. Its more like the game has changed and Huggs doesnt fit it as well as he once did. Its not really his fault, it just is what it is. Its definitely about time for him to retire though.

You don't win 6 NBA titles by being a bad basketball player, but Jordan surely couldn't play in the league today. Past success does not guarantee future results. Two things can be true at once. A guy can be a good coach with a HOF resume but still lose his touch in the twilight of his career and vastly underperform previous accomplishments. The buck stops with the head coach and when the players are consistently the problem because they "won't listen" at some point you have to place the blame on the guy who keeps recruiting these bad eggs which would be competitors if they would "only listened to Huggins."
Michael Jordan would be a vastly better Ja Morant. People also forget "The Jordan Rules". None of that now. Defenses are way softer now. Plus, you'd assume he'd be better at 3 pointers since that is a focus in the modern NBA.

The one guy that would be even better now than he was back then? Kareem

He could shoot from outside. He just rarely did. That dude in today's game would be insane.

Michael Jordan would be a vastly better Ja Morant. People also forget "The Jordan Rules". None of that now. Defenses are way softer now. Plus, you'd assume he'd be better at 3 pointers since that is a focus in the modern NBA.

The one guy that would be even better now than he was back then? Kareem

He could shoot from outside. He just rarely did. That dude in today's game would be insane.

You miss my point. I'm not contesting your points here. I'm saying a 60 year old Jordan, or any 60 year old man, can't play basketball at a competitive level ever. That fact does not diminish Jordan's career nor his accomplishments. His inability to even warm a bench in the NBA today does not make him any less the arguable best basketball player of all time. It is just a fact that everyone loses their abilities over time. My point is refutation of CFE's idea that because Huggins has some very notable past accomplishments it means Huggins can't possibly be a contributing factor to WVU declining basketball performance over the last half decade.

AND THE WHIPPING OF OKLAHOMA STATE PROVED MY LISTENING TO BOB AND LIGHTING UP THE SCOREBOARD CLAIM, RIGHT?

AND THE WHIPPING OF OKLAHOMA STATE PROVED MY LISTENING TO BOB AND LIGHTING UP THE SCOREBOARD CLAIM, RIGHT?
Stop rewriting history over and over again. Your ballless swinging in the wind from they're the greatest to they suck is boring and demonstrate what a small town pussy you really are. No one ever cared about your weak opinions tiny one.

Stop rewriting history over and over again. Your ballless swinging in the wind from they're the greatest to they suck is boring and demonstrate what a small town pussy you really are. No one ever cared about your weak opinions tiny one.

WELL, YOU SURE DELIGHT IN SHORTENING YOUR LIFE BY BEING SO GROUCHY. I'LL BE LOOKING DOWN AT YOUR COFFIN WHEN I'M 100. SUCH A SORRY EXCUSE FOR A HUMAN BEING.

WELL, YOU SURE DELIGHT IN SHORTENING YOUR LIFE BY BEING SO GROUCHY. I'LL BE LOOKING DOWN AT YOUR COFFIN WHEN I'M 100. SUCH A SORRY EXCUSE FOR A HUMAN BEING.

For someone who is so content with his life and claiming to not care about people who criticize, you sure do spend much of your time extolling your career, wealth, and age to message board posters. I find that people who constantly have to crow about how happy they are with any aspect of their life that others tend to give a side ways glance to, are not really happy. They are miserable, small people who are so weak minded they need the validation of others to make themselves feel better about the fact they cannot derive any internal happiness or peace with themselves.

You miss my point. I'm not contesting your points here. I'm saying a 60 year old Jordan, or any 60 year old man, can't play basketball at a competitive level ever. That fact does not diminish Jordan's career nor his accomplishments. His inability to even warm a bench in the NBA today does not make him any less the arguable best basketball player of all time. It is just a fact that everyone loses their abilities over time. My point is refutation of CFE's idea that because Huggins has some very notable past accomplishments it means Huggins can't possibly be a contributing factor to WVU declining basketball performance over the last half decade.
Misunderstood your point there. A coach can be great when they are older, but normally coaches are at their peak in their 40-50's. Huggs is comfortable. There is no harm in that, but we need someone who still has fire in his belly.

Misunderstood your point there. A coach can be great when they are older, but normally coaches are at their peak in their 40-50's. Huggs is comfortable. There is no harm in that, but we need someone who still has fire in his belly.

HUGGINS DOES NOT HAVE FIRE IN HIS BELLY? TELL THAT TO HIS PLAYERS! BOB HAS MORE FIRE IN HIS BELLY TODAY THAN HALF THE WHIPPERSNAPPER COACHES HE DEFEATS! BERATING HALL OF FAME COACH AND, WITH FRED SCHAUS, BEST COACHES IN WVU HISTORY, IS UNBECOMING. BOB PAST HIS PRIME IS BETTER THAN MANY COACHES IN THEIR PRIME!

HUGGINS DOES NOT HAVE FIRE IN HIS BELLY? TELL THAT TO HIS PLAYERS! BOB HAS MORE FIRE IN HIS BELLY TODAY THAN HALF THE WHIPPERSNAPPER COACHES HE DEFEATS! BERATING HALL OF FAME COACH AND, WITH FRED SCHAUS, BEST COACHES IN WVU HISTORY, IS UNBECOMING. BOB PAST HIS PRIME IS BETTER THAN MANY COACHES IN THEIR PRIME!
That's gas.

Whippersnapper? Really? You're trying way too much to sound the age of the senior dude whose identity and backstory you stole. Of course you are the lowlife who regularly steals other folks intellectual property and calls it your own. And of course you are the jass who has wanted several other posters to be dead.

GOOD LINE. GREAT WAY TO AVOID THE TRUTH THAT I POSTED ABOUT BOB. AFTER HE LEAVES YOU'LL BE AMONG THE FIRST COMPLAINING THAT HIS SUCCESSOR ISN'T AS GOOD AS HUGGINS! THE NEXT WVU COACH WILL HAVE A GIANT SHADOW HANGING OVER HIM. POOR GUY!
At least it won't be a dark shadow like yours.

leave no doubt, when Huggins retires WVU will pay homage to him and it will be well deserved..the new practice facility is on him and him alone...tough as nails as a player, when he set a screen...you knew it

GOOD LINE. GREAT WAY TO AVOID THE TRUTH THAT I POSTED ABOUT BOB. AFTER HE LEAVES YOU'LL BE AMONG THE FIRST COMPLAINING THAT HIS SUCCESSOR ISN'T AS GOOD AS HUGGINS! THE NEXT WVU COACH WILL HAVE A GIANT SHADOW HANGING OVER HIM. POOR GUY!

Can you name a single season at WVU where Bob Huggins has had a good season with at least 4 of his top 6 players on the team being in the program less than 2 years? How about his last 30? How about his entire coaching career? Because this is about the best I can think of and it's a flawed bubble team that is not going anywhere in the tournament on their own if they make it. You think Bob is suddenly going to get good at something he has never done before in his coaching career at age 70? It is like asking a veteran pitcher to suddenly start pitching with his off hand.
Sure it is technically the same game, but its an entirely different way of trying to accomplish the same task. Sure it could be learned, but it usually takes a while and rarely does a veteran at the end of their career do it.

Otherwise you have to hope that by some combination of recruiting and transfers, Huggins brings in a good set of young players. He then must retain both the best and the majority of them for the next 2 seasons. And then maybe after 2 seasons of investment and development he makes a run at age 72 in the method he has typically used for success as a basketball coach.

Neither seem likely despite his past accomplishments.

Can you name a single season at WVU where Bob Huggins has had a good season with at least 4 of his top 6 players on the team being in the program less than 2 years? How about his last 30? How about his entire coaching career? Because this is about the best I can think of and it's a flawed bubble team that is not going anywhere in the tournament on their own if they make it. You think Bob is suddenly going to get good at something he has never done before in his coaching career at age 70? It is like asking a veteran pitcher to suddenly start pitching with his off hand.
Sure it is technically the same game, but its an entirely different way of trying to accomplish the same task. Sure it could be learned, but it usually takes a while and rarely does a veteran at the end of their career do it.

Otherwise you have to hope that by some combination of recruiting and transfers, Huggins brings in a good set of young players. He then must retain both the best and the majority of them for the next 2 seasons. And then maybe after 2 seasons of investment and development he makes a run at age 72 in the method he has typically used for success as a basketball coach.

Neither seem likely despite his past accomplishments.

FLAW IN YOUR COUNTER-ARGUMENT, WHICH I RESPECT. EVERY COLLEGE IN AMERICA, BECAUSE OF TRANSFER PORTAL, WILL REGROUP EVERY SEASON. LOSE SOME, GAIN SOME. HUGGINS GOT 9 IN FOR THIS SEASON. AMAZING! RECRUITING AND GROOMING YEAR AFTER YEAR IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE. IT'S NBA DRAFT DAY EVERY SEASON WITH THE TRANSFER PORTAL. DON'T LIKE IT, HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO LIVE WITH IT. WHICH MEANS PLAYERS WILL CHOOSE THE COACH, AND NOT THE SCHOOL, TO DISPLAY THEIR TALENTS. GEOGRAPHY HAS BECOME IRRELEVANT. LOYALTY, TOO, BEYOND THE CURRENT SEASON THE PLAYER IS PLAYING.

CFE you dolt...you prove the point. Elite players are not going to choose a 70 year old as coach. Huggs, like your fake old guy persona, is past his shelf life. Wvu has to move on. Stick that in your phony numbers jar and cram it.

FLAW IN YOUR COUNTER-ARGUMENT, WHICH I RESPECT. EVERY COLLEGE IN AMERICA, BECAUSE OF TRANSFER PORTAL, WILL REGROUP EVERY SEASON. LOSE SOME, GAIN SOME. HUGGINS GOT 9 IN FOR THIS SEASON. AMAZING! RECRUITING AND GROOMING YEAR AFTER YEAR IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE. IT'S NBA DRAFT DAY EVERY SEASON WITH THE TRANSFER PORTAL. DON'T LIKE IT, HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO LIVE WITH IT. WHICH MEANS PLAYERS WILL CHOOSE THE COACH, AND NOT THE SCHOOL, TO DISPLAY THEIR TALENTS. GEOGRAPHY HAS BECOME IRRELEVANT. LOYALTY, TOO, BEYOND THE CURRENT SEASON THE PLAYER IS PLAYING.

Where is the flaw? Some coaches make all their hay by being good at the 1 and dones or bringing in mercenaries. See Holgorsen for example. Going back to my baseball analogy, if everyone has to suddenly pitch left handed it does not affect those already doing so. It only drags downs those that are not already pitching lefty.

So again Huggins is going to have to adapt to a new way of doing things for him that others have already been doing or hope he can last 3 more seasons to do it his previous way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT