ADVERTISEMENT

From KSU fan: Random thoughts on WVU in B12

gitrdone!

All-Conference
Apr 12, 2006
Have to admit I had never really paid much attention to your team because KSU never played you. I only knew Hugs left here to go home and was kind of annoyed about that for several months. Always felt you were way out east somewhere and I never checked a map. Well, youre not way out east. East of Kansas. Anyway, your team is for real. If we get by Iowa St this week, the game at your place will be huge. I was torn on the Tx game with you guys. I do not like Tx and many of us consider them our main new rival since Kansas is just terrible and Nebr and Mizzu are gone. Congrats on the big Tx win. I assure you the Tx people are very annoyed. My main reason for sort of pulling for Tx is that I don't want you guys coming into the B12 as newbies and mowing everyone down. Kind of want you get get some Midwest thumpings to keep you reasonably humble. Wish Game Day would be at your place. By the way, I think its very cool how your crowd sings the John Denver song. They sound a lot better as a large group than individually :) . You are one of the small group who has a strong FB and BB program which makes it fun. Welcome to the B12. Hope you can make it to Manhattan someday. I think we are very similair as Morgantown as far as atmosphere and values go. Not much ego here. We are mostly from small rural towns and farms and you know what kind of folks that produces. We love being the underdog and being disrepected. EVERYONE (except Kansas who is terminally inept) who plays and loses to us comes away saying the same thing: "We have better athletes than KSU and should have won the game". We like it that way. Went and watched your vb team the other week. They are very young and not up to B12 level yet but that will come (you prob dont care much about vb anyway). Looking forward to Huggs coming back. That was a good BB win last year for you against us in Wichita. Baseball should also be fun as we have a pretty consistantly good team. I have a feeling we will have some sports battles with you guys over the years. I've been a KSU fan for 50 years. Good to have you guys in the best overall conf in the USA.

From another K-State fan

Originally posted by gitrdone!:
Have to admit I had never really paid much attention to your team because KSU never played you. I only knew Hugs left here to go home and was kind of annoyed about that for several months. Always felt you were way out east somewhere and I never checked a map. Well, youre not way out east. East of Kansas. Anyway, your team is for real. If we get by Iowa St this week, the game at your place will be huge. I was torn on the Tx game with you guys. I do not like Tx and many of us consider them our main new rival since Kansas is just terrible and Nebr and Mizzu are gone. Congrats on the big Tx win. I assure you the Tx people are very annoyed. My main reason for sort of pulling for Tx is that I don't want you guys coming into the B12 as newbies and mowing everyone down. Kind of want you get get some Midwest thumpings to keep you reasonably humble. Wish Game Day would be at your place. By the way, I think its very cool how your crowd sings the John Denver song. They sound a lot better as a large group than individually :) . You are one of the small group who has a strong FB and BB program which makes it fun. Welcome to the B12. Hope you can make it to Manhattan someday. I think we are very similair as Morgantown as far as atmosphere and values go. Not much ego here. We are mostly from small rural towns and farms and you know what kind of folks that produces. We love being the underdog and being disrepected. EVERYONE (except Kansas who is terminally inept) who plays and loses to us comes away saying the same thing: "We have better athletes than KSU and should have won the game". We like it that way. Went and watched your vb team the other week. They are very young and not up to B12 level yet but that will come (you prob dont care much about vb anyway). Looking forward to Huggs coming back. That was a good BB win last year for you against us in Wichita. Baseball should also be fun as we have a pretty consistantly good team. I have a feeling we will have some sports battles with you guys over the years. I've been a KSU fan for 50 years. Good to have you guys in the best overall conf in the USA.
Agree wholeheartedly with this post, especially with regard to the complete ineptness of KU football. They are indeed an absolute disgrace to our great football conference, and the sport of football in general.

I would imagine West Virginia will fit in well with the Big12 culturally and am looking forward to visiting Morgantown. Seems like a little Midwestern/Southern/Appellation oasis tucked away in the east. What region do you guys consider yourselves to be in anyways? KU, K-State, ISU are definitely midwest. OU and OSU are kind of midwestern, but a lot of them think they're Southern, and Texas...well, Texas is TEXAS...with southern accents. ALL good people!! ...except for KU, who are barely American
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Re: From another K-State fan

Mid-Atlantic/Appalachia......one of the most unique places in the country.

Nobody wants to claim us. The south says we are too far north, especially since we sided with the north in the civil war, even though Richmond, VA was the capital of the south when we seceded from VA.

The north likes to consider us the south, and we are mostly below the Mason-Dixon Line. They don't like our southern way of life either.

The westerners say we are an eastern team, and the eastern Tate's say we are out west since we aren't on the coast.

So in turn we just beat everybody

Originally posted by 1/506th EER:
It looks like a beautiful place. Looking forward to it being a part of the no longer dysfunctional Big12 family. We're the best football conference from top to bottom now, and should be challenging the SEC for national titles on a regular basis. Life is good.

Originally posted by MightyDcat:

Originally posted by 1/506th EER:
It looks like a beautiful place. Looking forward to it being a part of the no longer dysfunctional Big12 family. We're the best football conference from top to bottom now, and should be challenging the SEC for national titles on a regular basis. Life is good.
Yeah, we like that idea a lot....
glasses.r191677.gif

I think the fit of the fanbases is actually going to be really good. A lot of reasons for that. West Virginians are humble, modest, friendly people, most of whom would give a stranger the shirt off their back. They live and die with the Mountaineers; most plan their yearly travel/vacations around the football schedule. Does any of this sound familiar?

Originally posted by doneagain:
Nobody wants to claim us. The south says we are too far north, especially since we sided with the north in the civil war, even though Richmond, VA was the capital of the south when we seceded from VA.

The north likes to consider us the south, and we are mostly below the Mason-Dixon Line. They don't like our southern way of life either.

The westerners say we are an eastern team, and the eastern Tate's say we are out west since we aren't on the coast.

So in turn we just beat everybody
The "us against the world" mentality can certainly be a motivator. At K-State we're definitely familiar with it!

Mizzou and KU were still fighting the civil war, but you really won't find much regional bitterness in the Big12.

If you come to Manhattan, KS with a chip on your shoulder next year, expecting us not to like you (not that I'd expect that), you'll probably just get a lot confused stares while we're trying to be nice and welcoming by offering you a beer haha. This ain't Pittsburgh son
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 10/8 6:13 PM by MightyDcat

I can only speak for myself on this matter. But changing the oposing fans is a breath of fresh air to me. It seemed like that it didn't matter how well we did in the Big East, we were always looked at as inferior. Just having the oportunity to show what we can do without verbal assaults and acusations of banging your sister was enough reason to leave the Big East. Never mind that we took a major step forward in doing so. Everyone likes to acuse us of being a wild and unruly fan base. But a lot of that was us just being tired of being treated like the red headed step child of the Big East. Now that we have been shown respect and treated like one of the family I expect thing s to be much better than they once were. As far as the actual sports teams are concerned, I expect many great things from us. We have the entire north east to ourselves as it pertains to the Big XII. And considering the B1G and ACC are sinking further and further each season, it bodes very well for us.

we're kind of our own thing here and most people don't know what the heck to consider us. my best response is we're west virginia. after that, we are appalachia...and as far as i go, upland-south. people want to consider us as mid-atlantic, but then that would have us in a maryland, delaware, virginia association and they all think they are better than us. so upland-south just fits better to me.

also, thanks a bunch for having us in your conference...glad to be associated with such fine universities and people!

upland south

Let me put it this way. I make trips to tennessee all the time. They usually ask how far north I'm from. Last time I was in NYC, people thought I had heavy southern accent, which couldn't be further from the truth.

It depends on where you're from in the state though. I live/grew up in charleston and have to go to southern wv a lot for work, and I can't understand half the people down there.

Never really thought about the midwest culture and how they'd fit with us, but more and more, I think we fit in there better than anywhere else in the world.

Glad you like it here. It's been a breath of fresh air for us as well after the defections to have two schools that are happy to be here. Hopefully that's enough long term. The conference's quality on the field is certainly unquestioned.

That said, what's with all the happy family stuff? I thought we all hated each other.

We have been given more respect from oposing fans in the Big XII in a year than we ever got from the Big East. Ever! After being treated like a leper for more than two decades, it is rather refreshing. I know that we will eventually form rivalries and begin to dislike one another on some level. But I hope we always consider each other part of the Big XII family. A "Big 12" at the end of every conference game would be really nice.

We aren't "northern".

We aren't " southern".

We aren't "eastern".

We aren't "western".

We are WEST VIRGINIAN.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT