ADVERTISEMENT

? for big green egg users

stevek01

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2010
Im thinking about buying one and would like to see what people have to say about them.
Is it a pain to use it just for bugers/hot dogs ? When smoking,will it hold at a steady temp ?
I have been using gas for grilling and smoking for as long as i can remember so i wouldnt even know how much charcoal to use for what i want to cook/smoke

Thanks for any tips/info

Not a pain at all. Doesn't take long to get up to temp. It holds temp pretty well. If you don't want to monitor it occasionally, you can get a bbq Guru (relatively expensive but a great). Charcoal lasts because you can reuse the unburned charcoal from the last cook. The only time I use a different charcoal amount is if I'm making beef jerky. I then use a hollowed out coffee can placed in the bottom of the firebox. I think BGE's are great. They will also last forever. Very little maintenance except for the gasket every other year or so.

sorry for the late reply. It might be somewhat of a pain just for hot dogs to heat up but all it takes is some planning. Fire it up say 20 minutes before you plan to fix the hot dogs and/or burgers. I wouldn't say burgers are a pain because they come out great.

The good thing about the egg is that you can sear steaks at say 800 degrees and then back it down to say 400 degrees to finish the steaks. (takes about 20 minutes to back it all the way down to 400 while the steaks are resting). You can also do a low and slow and it will hold a very steady temp once you learn the settings on the upper and lower draft doors.

Don't you live up in Elkview area or am I thinking of someone else? If so, RiverEER lives in the Big Chimney area and he has 2 Eggs. An XL and a medium. He'd always be willing to give a demo.

And if you buy decent lump, the charcoal will last without refilling. I'll fill up pretty well and then can do a 18 to 20 hour low & slow without refilling.

Keep in mind, this is lump charcoal that is not the Kingsford with chemicals, etc.

I'll never go back to a gas grill at all. Matter of fact, going to fire up the egg today for a Roast Rack of Pork. Will give it a nice light smokey flavor that I'm sure the kids will enjoy.

What kind of lump do you use? I've got a WSM smoker and use Kingsford blue, but have wanted to try a lump for comparison
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I use Big Green Egg lump since it is readily available here in the Atlanta area. But I will order and keep on hand some Wicked Good Charcoal that is great for low & slows. Burns nice and slow and creates very little ash. Harder to get lit though.

Here is a link to a guy who has done a ton of research on lump charcoal.

lump

I'm really late on this thread. I use royal oak lump. They made the Big green egg lump at one time. It's cheap and you can find it at Walmart.

It's pretty good for the price and easy to find. I try to buy several bags in the spring. It's harder to find later in the summer. The bag looks very similar to the Royal Oak briquette bag. Make sure you buy the natural wood or lump charcoal. Don't ever buy Cowboy lump it sucks.

I'll have to look for it at Wal Mart. I bought Cowboy maybe once or twice out of desperation. It does suck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT