ADVERTISEMENT

Floyd-Chauvin Case - what's your thought on the outcome

rog1187

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Other than a likelihood of rioting and violence either way, what's your thought on the ruling as of right now? Chauvin is facing two charges.

What is second-degree unintentional murder?
For a conviction of second-degree unintentional murder, the state's prosecutors will have to show beyond a reasonable doubt that Chauvin caused Floyd's death while assaulting him.

What is second-degree manslaughter?
In order to convict Chauvin of second-degree manslaughter, prosecutors will need to show beyond a reasonable doubt that he was negligent and took an "unreasonable risk" with Floyd's life when he restrained him and that his actions put Floyd at risk of death or great harm.

I think Chauvin gets off on the 2nd degree unintentional murder.

I see a 50/50 chance of 2nd degree manslaughter. Depends on what and how the evidence is presented.

Almost exactly a year prior to the day Floyd died with a fatal dose of fentanyl in his body he was also the subject of a lawful arrest and also apparently ingested illicit drugs to avoid their discovery by the arresting officers. In that case Floyd received hospital care and did not die as a result of the drug ingestion. However, I don't think the defense will be allowed to introduce this as evidence unless the prosecution opens the door to it per a judge ruling.

The evidence is clear (I think) that Floyd died as a result of ingesting a lethal drug combo (to avoid arrest for that). But can it be proven that the actions of Chauvin (and I would say others) delayed his treatment? The knee on the neck was not the factor that may have lead to his delay in treatment...it was the delay in getting him in the cruiser. It can be argued I'm sure that Floyd had a hand in that delay - getting in the cruiser and then fighting to get out and subsequent resisting. But did the officers know Floyd 1) had ingested drugs or 2) what drugs he may have ingested...and could they have got him to the hospital in time if they knew what he had done to himself?

Other than a likelihood of rioting and violence either way, what's your thought on the ruling as of right now? Chauvin is facing two charges.

For a conviction of second-degree unintentional murder, the state's prosecutors will have to show beyond a reasonable doubt that Chauvin caused Floyd's death while assaulting him.

In order to convict Chauvin of second-degree manslaughter, prosecutors will need to show beyond a reasonable doubt that he was negligent and took an "unreasonable risk" with Floyd's life when he restrained him and that his actions put Floyd at risk of death or great harm.

I see a 50/50 chance of 2nd degree manslaughter. Depends on what and how the evidence is presented.

Almost exactly a year prior to the day Floyd died with a fatal dose of fentanyl in his body he was also the subject of a lawful arrest and also apparently ingested illicit drugs to avoid their discovery by the arresting officers. In that case Floyd received hospital care and did not die as a result of the drug ingestion. However, I don't think the defense will be allowed to introduce this as evidence unless the prosecution opens the door to it per a judge ruling.

The evidence is clear (I think) that Floyd died as a result of ingesting a lethal drug combo (to avoid arrest for that). But can it be proven that the actions of Chauvin (and I would say others) delayed his treatment? The knee on the neck was not the factor that may have lead to his delay in treatment...it was the delay in getting him in the cruiser. It can be argued I'm sure that Floyd had a hand in that delay - getting in the cruiser and then fighting to get out and subsequent resisting. But did the officers know Floyd 1) had ingested drugs or 2) what drugs he may have ingested...and could they have got him to the hospital in time if they knew what he had done to himself?
I'll say that 99 times out of 100 or 999 times out of 1,000 - I have the backs of the cops. Could not pay me enough to do that job. I think this is that one case that's indefensible. I don't know how people can't see the officer's fault in this case.

Have no idea how Minnesota law works. From what I've read, the prosecutors overcharged based on current law. IMO, the law needs changed. Sadly I doubt any real debate comes out of this case. Both sides are entrenched.

I'll say that 99 times out of 100 or 999 times out of 1,000 - I have the backs of the cops. Could not pay me enough to do that job. I think this is that one case that's indefensible. I don't know how people can't see the officer's fault in this case.

Have no idea how Minnesota law works. From what I've read, the prosecutors overcharged based on current law. IMO, the law needs changed. Sadly I doubt any real debate comes out of this case. Both sides are entrenched.
I don’t see the officer at fault in this case. How did he know the guy was ODing? Also, the crowd was a contributing factor towards keeping his attention away from the secured suspect. The knee is extremely common and an approved practice by police and military the world over.

I believe the ME reported that he died as a result of the drugs and not from the knee. Now you could maybe make a case that they delayed (negligent) in getting him to the hospital and thus he died as a result. You'd have to prove they knew that he ingested drugs, what type, and how much.

I believe the ME reported that he died as a result of the drugs and not from the knee. Now you could maybe make a case that they delayed (negligent) in getting him to the hospital and thus he died as a result. You'd have to prove they knew that he ingested drugs, what type, and how much.
I don't read the ME's report the same way. Again, not sure the point of debate. Sides are entrenched.

Every other high profile cop case in the last decade, I side with the cops. Not this one.

Reactions: JWG66
Racism killed George Floyd. 🥴

If Mr. Floydd had gotten into that patrol car when he was first ordered to do so, maybe he lives? No way he gets the "knee to the neck" treatment as bad as that was in terms of pure police tactics. Both were equally at fault here IMO. However it wasn't manslaughter. Not sure how it turns out. Depends on that jury, and what they think was legitimate use of force and what went over the line?

Knee to the neck was over the line IMO, especially after the guy went limp.

Racism killed George Floyd. 🥴

Not sure I agree with that. In full disclosure...my son-in-Law is a cop. He and I had long discussions about this. It was bad police work, and Floyd was being a prick by not getting into that patrol car when ordered to do so. Still, with as many of them as there were vs him, they should have managed to get him to comply without laying on his neck for that long.

Fairly presented analysis.

Not sure I agree with that. In full disclosure...my son-in-Law is a cop. He and I had long discussions about this. It was bad police work, and Floyd was being a prick by not getting into that patrol car when ordered to do so. Still, with as many of them as there were vs him, they should have managed to get him to comply without laying on his neck for that long.
Media loves to drive narratives.

Let’s see if they’ll do it again with Demwit in charge.

Reactions: atlkvb
They suspected Floyd was on something and asked him repeatedly. Floyd denied being under the influence each time.

there is a reason the police body cam was sealed. It changes everything

He would not want me on the jury. Granted GF may have deserved to be arrested, once under control, he deserved to be safely taken into custody.

3 seated today:
Juror #2 Male, Caucasian, 20s or 30s
Juror #9 Female, 20/30s, a person of color
Juror #19 Male, Caucasian, 30s

Here’s an honest observation and question. At one point did the officer show or display racism? I’d like to know the determination.

Here are my thoughts...
ufLfjie.gif

I'm just a bit confused, GF had a lethal dose of drugs in his body , was lawfully being arrested, was fighting the cops & died , is this correct? Did the cops force him to take the lethal dose of drugs ? Could the cop tell he had taken a lethal dose of drugs ?
Was the knee excessive force? Maybe, maybe not .....was this a arrest & intentional killing due to racism, I dont think so in any way shape or form . GF was breaking the law , had he went to the store for a six pack & lottery ticket spending money he earned instead of money that was illegally printed then I'm betting he'd be home right now instead of pushing up daisies.

Here’s an honest observation and question. At one point did the officer show or display racism? I’d like to know the determination.
I’ve asked that question a hundred times and no one can give a single fact to support racism or racist intentions. Police brutality? Perhaps; racism? Not a single fact has been presented thus far.

That should tell you where the real racism is in America.

Reactions: dave and WVU80ate
I'm just a bit confused, GF had a lethal dose of drugs in his body , was lawfully being arrested, was fighting the cops & died , is this correct? Did the cops force him to take the lethal dose of drugs ? Could the cop tell he had taken a lethal dose of drugs ?
Was the knee excessive force? Maybe, maybe not .....was this a arrest & intentional killing due to racism, I dont think so in any way shape or form . GF was breaking the law , had he went to the store for a six pack & lottery ticket spending money he earned instead of money that was illegally printed then I'm betting he'd be home right now instead of pushing up daisies.
I wouldn’t go that far. Had mike brown or rayashard brooks not robbed a store, passed out drunk behind the wheel, respectively, then tried fighting the officers responding to the crimes they committed, they would be alive. With amount of fentanyl in Floyd’s system, I don’t know if he would have survived the night had he just stayed home and roughed up his girlfriend again Instead of going to that store.

Reactions: Airport
Sadly I doubt any real debate comes out of this case. Both sides are entrenched.
Can’t say I disagree which presents a major question. How does Chauvin get a fair trial? There is not an American alive who doesn’t know about the George Floyd incident and like you pointed out, people are entrenched.

as awful as it is, I’d like to see a conviction, then overturned due to a partial jury. It won’t happen but perhaps it would get people to take a step back in these cases.

we already have people threatening to riot/insurrect/or whatever the hell we are calling violent unrest these days, if there is an acquittal. Those are the assholes that need to be silenced and if it takes chauvin to walk to get it done, I am all for it.

there is no chance of a fair trial here.

pedo coop on cue. You’re a jimmy carter, Michael Dukakis, bill clinton, John Kerry, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, pedo joe, pro abortion, open borders, far left lib. **** you fat Ass

Reactions: Rootmaster

Exactly! I see many things regarding good police procedures they maybe failed to execute, but I don't see any of it as racially motivated. Not anything that can be conclusively proven anyway.

Ok. NOW is the time we stop stop taking Pedo Coops word seriously. He is a criminal who threw his mom under the bus to save his ass from going to prison.F him. He is a biden obama supporter.

@JohnRivers

3h·
George Floyd had no injuries to the face, head, neck, or chest

he did have COVID-19, though

and enough fentanyl and meth in his system to kill a horse

9bc15370c66df5ad.png

OK, GF was jacked on drugs and probably incoherent. The delay getting him into custody meant he was delayed in potential treatment for his self inflicted problems. I can not remember how long he was kept on the ground, but if there was a stomach pump or treatment that could have saved him in time, to me the officer in charge is still responsible. When someone is sick or injured, getting medical help quickly is critical. The only way these officers get any consideration from me is if the cocktail GF took killed him so quickly there was no chance for him to survive. In spite of GFs issues, the officers in control of him still needed to act quickly to get him medical help. And time was nobody’s friend.

They walked Floyd past a police SUV and tried to stuff a man his size into the back of a car. That makes no sense. Secondly, the EMTs did not start compressions immediately. That makes no sense.

Exactly! I see many things regarding good police procedures they maybe failed to execute, but I don't see any of it as racially motivated. Not anything that can be conclusively proven anyway.
They drug George Floyd across the street to another block from where he was originally being detained and past a police SUV.

They drug George Floyd across the street to another block from where he was originally being detained and past a police SUV.
Didn't that have to do with the crowd that was forming?

I’m not saying it was a perfect arrest, clearly it wasn’t. I’m just not about to see a man sent to prison because some piece of shit OD’d.

Reactions: roadtrasheer

It wasn't very good police work. Either poor training or Officers who just didn't care. I still don't think it was manslaughter. A sad combination of variables no one can argue successfully for either side.

Didn't that have to do with the crowd that was forming?

I’m not saying it was a perfect arrest, clearly it wasn’t. I’m just not about to see a man sent to prison because some piece of shit OD’d.
Where they took him from there was no crowd. He was up against a wall outside of the store where he passed the counterfeit money. His vehicle was just outside the store as well. Also, why were the police just standing there doing to nothing to try to disperse the crowd?

It wasn't very good police work. Either poor training or Officers who just didn't care. I still don't think it was manslaughter. A sad combination of variables no one can argue successfully for either side.
Or an act meant to create chaos.

Considering Chauvin was married to a minority and had minority officers around him, I’d like to know how they formed the opinion this was racially motivated. I’m not sure about proper police protocol, but I don’t see a racial connection.

He would not want me on the jury. Granted GF may have deserved to be arrested, once under control, he deserved to be safely taken into custody.
That’s why you should never be allowed on a jury. Your mind is already made up regardless of the facts

Reactions: JWG66
Where they took him from there was no crowd. He was up against a wall outside of the store where he passed the counterfeit money. His vehicle was just outside the store as well. Also, why were the police just standing there doing to nothing to try to disperse the crowd?
You do realize Floyd was put into a police cruiser before the video you saw was taken?

you are also aware that he said he couldn’t breathe while seatedin the cruiser?

Reactions: Airport
Considering Chauvin was married to a minority and had minority officers around him, I’d like to know how they formed the opinion this was racially motivated. I’m not sure about proper police protocol, but I don’t see a racial connection.

The only folks trying to make this all about race @WVU80ate are Leftists. "Never let a crisis go without taking political advantage of it".

No one on our side said that.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT