ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion/Realignment discussion anyone?

bobhertzel'ssweatpants

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2009
Morgantown, WV
Will 'Bevo' shut the Big 12 out of more expansion like they did last year with FSU/Clemson? This is an arms race & the Big 12 better not set this one out. The B1G's move this week is opening up pandora's box once again.

Originally posted by bobhertzel'ssweatpants:
Originally posted by TheRedSon:
Happy death to the ACC Day.

Florida State, Clemson and who else wants to play?
Do you think the Big 12 will pull that one off this time? It seems that Texas wants to stay at 10 come hell or high water.
I think they'll get outvoted.

I think we'd have had them already over Texas' objections if Florida State and Oklahoma could have got on the same page with regard to division alignment and scheduling. I thought the hold up was Florida State insisting in OU and Texas both on their schedule every year. Oklahoma didn't like that if it meant a different division than Texas, and Oklahoma State and probably all three former North schools, but for sure both Kansas schools, would/did side with Oklahoma on that. Exposure in Texas is key to the recruiting of all of those schools.

I think we'd have had them already over Texas' objections if Florida State and Oklahoma could have got on the same page with regard to division alignment and scheduling. I thought the hold up was Florida State insisting in OU and Texas both on their schedule every year. Oklahoma didn't like that if it meant a different division than Texas, and Oklahoma State and probably all three former North schools, but for sure both Kansas schools, would/did side with Oklahoma on that. Exposure in Texas is key to the recruiting of all of those schools.
I absolutely LOVE the Big 12 & don't want to lose the ability to play Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State every year, but I don't think the Big 12 can afford to sit this one out. They need to strike while the iron is hot, because I'm sure the Big Ten isn't done & the SEC has to be rubbing their hands together as well. There will be slim pickings imo if the Big 12 just sits around & waits.

Originally posted by bobhertzel'ssweatpants:
I absolutely LOVE the Big 12 & don't want to lose the ability to play Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State every year, but I don't think the Big 12 can afford to sit this one out. They need to strike while the iron is hot, because I'm sure the Big Ten isn't done & the SEC has to be rubbing their hands together as well. There will be slim pickings imo if the Big 12 just sits around & waits.
There is definitely a lot of work going on behind the scenes and I think we should start to get some idea of our direction 'very' soon.

This post was edited on 11/19 3:30 PM by Vernon

Two six team divisions and FSU can pick one cross division rival they play every year.

EAST
WVU
Clemson
FSU
Kansas
KSU
ISU

WEST
Texas
Oklahoma
OSU
TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech

CROSS DIVISION RIVALS
Texas-FSU
Clemson-OU
Kansas-OSU
WVU-TCU
Kansas State-Baylor
Texas Tech-ISU

or some jumble of that but FSU and Clemson getting Texas and OU as cross division rivals would sweeten the pot to get them here sooner rather than later.

interesting. officially, didn't the b12, fsu and clemson say they never met and/or talked.

Give us Kansas State or West Virginia in that deal. Oklahoma State is solidly in "TV draw" ranks in the Big 12 now. There's no reason to waste a potential national game every year with one of our most exciting products playing a basketball school. Texas Tech and OSU need to be paired with WVU and KSU. Let Iowa State and Kansas play the little private schools.

The 2 major players in this conference (Texas & Oklahoma) have no intentions of expanding unless it significantly enhances their bottom line. They don't care about stability because in the long run they will be fine. They can go to any conference they want to with one phone call. The GOR deal is as loose as the ACC's 50 million buyout. In order for the Big 12 to get a team like FSU there will be new contracts involved that will be bullet proof and FSU or like school would demand it. Right now they are not. None of the schools have the same GOR agreement, that is why it took so long to get them signed. Bottom line, the Big 12 will stay at 10 until the best deal is realized to Texas and Oklahoma. If the LHN is a success, good news for the Big 12, if it fails, Texas will be gone!

Originally posted by GMC2:
The 2 major players in this conference (Texas & Oklahoma) have no intentions of expanding unless it significantly enhances their bottom line. They don't care about stability because in the long run they will be fine. They can go to any conference they want to with one phone call. The GOR deal is as loose as the ACC's 50 million buyout. In order for the Big 12 to get a team like FSU there will be new contracts involved that will be bullet proof and FSU or like school would demand it. Right now they are not. None of the schools have the same GOR agreement, that is why it took so long to get them signed. Bottom line, the Big 12 will stay at 10 until the best deal is realized to Texas and Oklahoma. If the LHN is a success, good news for the Big 12, if it fails, Texas will be gone!
Not sure if I agree with all of that, but there is no such thing as being bullet proof if you are in the ACC or to a lesser extent the Big 12. Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma & Oklahoma State are always going to be safe. But the rest of the league is only safe based on what Texas & Oklahoma decide to do. Texas doesn't want expansion because they don't want to lose their power over the Big 12. Right now they control the votes of Baylor, Texas Tech & TCU. If you add 6 teams from the east, then those votes don't matter anymore. All you need is 12 votes to get something passed (75%) with 16 teams. I really think if Texas puts a halt on expansion once again, then you'll see a mass hiatus to the Pac 12 at some point down the road. Which will leave WVU, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, TCU & Baylor out in the cold.
This post was edited on 11/20 9:26 AM by bobhertzel'ssweatpants

I think most of us WVU fans want to expand because we've seen what happened with the Big East. I think we need 16.
The Big 10 is gonna take Va and UNC. The SEC will take VT and NCST. We take our pick with everyone who is left.
FSU, Clemson, GT, Duke, Louisville, and one more of the left overs. Form an Eastern Division of the Big 12.

If we have to go to 16 getting Florida State, Georgia Tech and Clemson would make it well worth while. I'm not sure the B1G has any special attachment to the number 16, and I could see them going after Georgia Tech too. If they don't take GT, or slow play them, I'd love to see the Big 12 go after all three of those schools. That's about the only way I can see 16 having enough quality to justify the quantity. Louisville is a solid edition if they're not going to be expected to carry any more water than Baylor or TCU, it gets dicey if they have to be TE OSU or Tech o the East Division, and, no offense, Louisville, West Virginia and Kansas State can't be the headliners of a whole division. Florida State is a big dog though, and with them the rest of that proposed East is quality depth as opposed to a more football focused version of the Big East in Middle America.

I would happily settle for Florida State, Clemson, Louisville and one more, even if it's Wake Forest or Pitt.

Sixteen is the magic number for scheduling. It allows four pods with four teams each. You play all three teams in your pod every year and two teams from the other three pods each year for a nine game conference schedule. That way everybody plays everyone at least every other year.

How about 4 pods like this...

Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Baylor
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech

Iowa State
Louisville
Pittsburgh
West Virginia

Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami (or Duke, or whatever)

You can have a permanent rival from each division. That saves the Red River game every year, and allows Florida State (if they insist) to play both Oklahoma and Texas every year.

Then, in order to streamline the CCG participants you play one entire pod each year in addition to the three games in your own + your two permanent rivals from the other two pods. The pod you play all of can rotate every second year allowing home-and-home series with the other six schools you don't see every year once each six year cycle.

Examples

Oklahoma State in year 1 plays... (bold denotes permanent rival)

Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma

Baylor
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Clemson

West Virginia then gets

Iowa State
Louisville
Pittsburgh

Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech

In that system you could have an east-west championship game in year 1 & 2, a north-south championship game in year 3 & 4 and then the diagonal pods would form divisions in year 5 & 6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT