ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion: Big12 Network=P5, LHN=Mid-majors

The ACC contract was not written to increase with new members - it was renegotiated. The Big 12 contract was written so that it would be know no matter what the money would be at least the same. You still would have the money for a championship game. And ESPN told what they think of the ACC with the Orange Bowl contract.

As for tier 3 - I is totally illogical to compare WVU money with North Carolina - because of the UNC Basketball. Try comparing WVU to VT or Pitt.

Yes, and that's the point. The Big 12 doesn't get to renegotiate. I don't know why you can't understand this. The "same money" clause precludes renegotiation. For example, let's just hypothetically say the Big Ten wanted Florida St and Georgia Tech. The Big Ten adds those teams, and they get to renegotiate their TV contract to get more money. If the Big 12 adds Florida St and Georgia Tech, the money only stays the same. See the difference? "More" is better than "stay the same". The Big 12 is the only conference with its hands tied regarding the TV contract. The other leagues can get more money by expanding, but the Big 12 can't.

The Big 12 is already getting paid for a championship game. The TV contract won't pay more for a CCG.

The Tier 3 comparison is perfectly reasonable. Let's put it this way. West Virginia gets ~$8 million from Tier 3. If you didn't have the TV rights, you would still be getting close to $8 million from Tier 3. You are simply wrong about how much that one game is worth. It's simply not as valuable as you think it is. That's why I gave you the North Carolina example to show you that other teams make similar (or better) money even without the TV game.

Yes, and that's the point. The Big 12 doesn't get to renegotiate. I don't know why you can't understand this. The "same money" clause precludes renegotiation. For example, let's just hypothetically say the Big Ten wanted Florida St and Georgia Tech. The Big Ten adds those teams, and they get to renegotiate their TV contract to get more money. If the Big 12 adds Florida St and Georgia Tech, the money only stays the same. See the difference? "More" is better than "stay the same". The Big 12 is the only conference with its hands tied regarding the TV contract. The other leagues can get more money by expanding, but the Big 12 can't.

The Big 12 is already getting paid for a championship game. The TV contract won't pay more for a CCG.

The Tier 3 comparison is perfectly reasonable. Let's put it this way. West Virginia gets ~$8 million from Tier 3. If you didn't have the TV rights, you would still be getting close to $8 million from Tier 3. You are simply wrong about how much that one game is worth. It's simply not as valuable as you think it is. That's why I gave you the North Carolina example to show you that other teams make similar (or better) money even without the TV game.
ANY CONTRACT CAN BE RENEGOTIATED!!!!!!!!

And North Carolina is a huge draw due to its Basketball program.

ANY CONTRACT CAN BE RENEGOTIATED!!!!!!!!.

Just give up.

He insists that a TV network won't renegotiate even if it's in their best interest.....instead of understanding that 'the clause' only means they don't have to renegotiate unless it's in their best interest.

------

This is where he pretends to know what's in the best interest of major TV networks.....or that he insist 'the clause' proves that they have no interest in making more money.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.......... Whupped by a girl.

It's time for you to take your numbers and head on home Topdeck, before she really starts to thump on you.

ANY CONTRACT CAN BE RENEGOTIATED!!!!!!!!

And North Carolina is a huge draw due to its Basketball program.

Not if both sides don't agree to it. I've already posted a link where ESPN and Fox indicated they have no interest in renegotiating the contract. The clause in the contract itself is an indicator that they have no interest in renegotiating. Putting that clause in the contract adds an extra hurdle that none of the other conferences have. If ESPN and Fox were interested in renegotiating, they wouldn't have put in a clause that makes it harder to renegotiate.

The problem you keep running to with the Tier 3 situation is that it's only broadcasted locally. The majority of North Carolina's Tier 3 money comes from radio. They don't get much carriage outside the state, and it's still worth $11 million. That just shows you the minimal value of the one TV game.

If you want another example, Florida St get $6.5 million from it's Tier 3 rights. So, Florida St gets almost as much as West Virginia without TV.

Just give up.

He insists that a TV network won't renegotiate even if it's in their best interest.....instead of understanding that 'the clause' only means they don't have to renegotiate unless it's in their best interest.

------

This is where he pretends to know what's in the best interest of major TV networks.....or that he insist 'the clause' proves that they have no interest in making more money.

And you think you know what's best for the networks? Your problem is you insist that the networks would make more money by renegotiating. You don't know that. In fact, the evidence is the opposite. You keep dodging the issue of the clause. The clause was put into the contract for a reason. No other conference has that clause. It's only the Big 12 that has it. The clause is a hindrance, not an asset. It puts a cap on the contract's value. None of the other conferences have such a cap. So tell me, why would ESPN and Fox take the trouble to put a cap on the Big 12's contract if they felt they could make more money by renegotiating? If ESPN and Fox were so eager to renegotiate, they would not have put an extra hurdle into the contract. They would have made it as easy as possible to renegotiate.

Your other problem is you simply don't understand the contract, or the situation. The reason ESPN and Fox put in that clause is because they are already paying the Big 12 the for 12 teams. That's because the Big 12's contract never decreased after Nebraska and Colorado left. When those teams left, ESPN and Fox had the legal option to void the Big 12's contract and reduce the value, to reflect the loss of the two teams. However, Dan Beebe was able to get that 11th hour agreement with ESPN and Fox to keep the contract at its current levels, which enticed Texas and Oklahoma not to go to the Pac 10. The catch is, since the Big 12 is already getting paid for 12 teams as it is, ESPN and Fox aren't going to keep overpaying if more teams are added. That's why they put in that clause, so that if new teams are added, then the payout just stays the same, so it would then reflect the actual market value.

I find it difficult to believe that someone understands that clauses and nuances of every conference's TV contract. Nevertheless, assuming the clause is in there let's not act like business contracts aren't renegotiated all the time. Would both parties need to agree to amending it? Sure. But to say they would or wouldn't agree to this is pure conjecture considering we don't even know what teams would be added.

Reactions: Woody in Helvetia
And you think you know what's best for the networks? Your problem is you insist that the networks would make more money by renegotiating. You don't know that. In fact, the evidence is the opposite. You keep dodging the issue of the clause. The clause was put into the contract for a reason. .

Forgive me for replying before I could read entirely through your regurgitated post

I never wrote that I know what's best for the networks.....and I never wrote they would make more money by renegotiating. I did write that if the Big 12 could add a team that would make the networks more money they would be more than happy to sit down with the conference and discuss a new contract.

I also previously addressed the clause that you seem to think I'm dodging....it simply gives the networks leverage. This may surprise you but that clause isn't the 11th Commandment.

It's all very basic and easy to understand so I'm not so sure why you're having such a hard time digesting it.

This may surprise you but that clause isn't the 11th Commandment.

To quote you, I never said it was. You just want to misstate my position because it contradicts the scenario you want to create. What I'm telling you is, you can't say that all possibilities are equal. Some theoretical possibility doesn't discount concrete reality.

I did write that if the Big 12 could add a team that would make the networks more money they would be more than happy to sit down with the conference and discuss a new contract.

I already dealt with. Chuck Neinas made this comment about that very situation:

“Our television partners agreed that the only new member that would enhance the Big 12 value for television was Notre Dame.”
http://newsok.com/big-12-interim-co...at-would-add-tv-value/article/3688049/?page=1

ESPN and Fox have clearly stated their position. There aren't going to be any teams that would make them more money. That's why the clause is in the contract. It's not for "negotiating leverage." ESPN and Fox put that clause in there because they aren't interested in negotiating. They already know what kind of money they will make off Big 12 expansion, so that's why the put in the clause that the money stays the same. There isn't any guesswork here.

Your other problem is you simply don't understand the contract, or the situation. The reason ESPN and Fox put in that clause is because they are already paying the Big 12 the for 12 teams. That's because the Big 12's contract never decreased after Nebraska and Colorado left. When those teams left, ESPN and Fox had the legal option to void the Big 12's contract and reduce the value, to reflect the loss of the two teams. However, Dan Beebe was able to get that 11th hour agreement with ESPN and Fox to keep the contract at its current levels, which enticed Texas and Oklahoma not to go to the Pac 10. The catch is, since the Big 12 is already getting paid for 12 teams as it is, ESPN and Fox aren't going to keep overpaying if more teams are added. That's why they put in that clause, so that if new teams are added, then the payout just stays the same, so it would then reflect the actual market value.

You are full of absolute BS. Yes the contracts were not changed when Nebraska and Colorado left. But we are in a whole new set of contracts including a much larger one with FOX. They knew there what the situation was when they were written. Give it up.

If somehow FSU and Clemson joined the B12 for 2017 - The contracts would be redone and the ACC contract would be redone. (FSU and Clemson are not going to leave but if by some miracle it happened - the contracts would be changed) And personally I do not want FSU and Clemson - They do not solve the geography problem of the Big 12 - they make it worse. In my opinion the B12 needs to add two teams in the area between the Mississippi river and WVU - Cincy, and Memphis or NIU.

You are full of absolute BS. Yes the contracts were not changed when Nebraska and Colorado left. But we are in a whole new set of contracts including a much larger one with FOX. They knew there what the situation was when they were written. Give it up.

If somehow FSU and Clemson joined the B12 for 2017 - The contracts would be redone and the ACC contract would be redone. (FSU and Clemson are not going to leave but if by some miracle it happened - the contracts would be changed) And personally I do not want FSU and Clemson - They do not solve the geography problem of the Big 12 - they make it worse. In my opinion the B12 needs to add two teams in the area between the Mississippi river and WVU - Cincy, and Memphis or NIU.

No, I'm not full of BS at all. I just posted links to back up what I said. I know the Big 12 got new contracts after Nebraska and Colorado left. That’s why the “same money” clause was put into the contract. ESPN agreed to keep the payments up when Nebraska and Colorado left. When the new contract was signed in 2012, ESPN and Fox agreed to keep that same setup, the contract wouldn’t go down to reflect two fewer teams. The catch is, ESPN and Fox inserted the “same money” clause so that if the Big 12 did expand, they weren’t going to pay extra money for the new teams. That’s because the Big 12 is already getting paid for extra teams, since the contract never decreased to reflect the loss of Nebraska and Colorado. That’s the exact reason the clause was inserted into the contract.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. You aren’t going to lose two teams, and not have some repercussions for it. Well, this is it. ESPN and Fox gave the Big 12 a deal on the front end (not decreasing the contract), but counterbalanced it on the back end (no extra money for expansion).

No, I'm not full of BS at all. I just posted links to back up what I said. I know the Big 12 got new contracts after Nebraska and Colorado left. That’s why the “same money” clause was put into the contract. ESPN agreed to keep the payments up when Nebraska and Colorado left. When the new contract was signed in 2012, ESPN and Fox agreed to keep that same setup, the contract wouldn’t go down to reflect two fewer teams. The catch is, ESPN and Fox inserted the “same money” clause so that if the Big 12 did expand, they weren’t going to pay extra money for the new teams. That’s because the Big 12 is already getting paid for extra teams, since the contract never decreased to reflect the loss of Nebraska and Colorado. That’s the exact reason the clause was inserted into the contract.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. You aren’t going to lose two teams, and not have some repercussions for it. Well, this is it. ESPN and Fox gave the Big 12 a deal on the front end (not decreasing the contract), but counterbalanced it on the back end (no extra money for expansion).

You are absolutely wrong - Both the Boren and the Bowlsby stated that the money would go up proportionally if more members came in. Thus if the contract is not 200 Mil for a year it would become 22o Mil for a year with 11 members and 240 Mil for 12 members.

If those members happened to be Notre Dame and Florida State then it would be totally renegotiated. If those two members were Cincy and Memphis then the contract would just simply move to 240 million.

You are absolutely wrong - Both the Boren and the Bowlsby stated that the money would go up proportionally if more members came in. Thus if the contract is not 200 Mil for a year it would become 22o Mil for a year with 11 members and 240 Mil for 12 members.

If those members happened to be Notre Dame and Florida State then it would be totally renegotiated. If those two members were Cincy and Memphis then the contract would just simply move to 240 million.

No, I'm not wrong at all. The payout stays the same. If each school gets $20 million now, then each school will still get $20 million if new teams are added. I will quote Davie Boren again:

"The contract says that our main television contract ... if we grow from 10 to 11 or 11 to 12, their payments to us grow proportionally," Boren said. "So everybody's share stays the same. If it's 'X' dollars, it stays 'X' dollars."
http://westvirginia.forums.rivals.com/threads/expansion-big12-network-p5-lhn-mid-majors.25953/page-2

That's Boren's exact comment. If the schools get $20 million apiece now, they still get $20 million with new teams. The overall pot goes up, but the payout to each school does not go up

For example, 10 schools get $20 million each, then the overall pot is $200 million. If 12 schools get $20 million each, then the overall pot is $240 million. That's what I've been saying all along. And that's the entire problem. When other conferences expand, the payout to the individual schools goes up. The fact that the overall pot goes up from $200 million to $240 million doesn't do any good, because the individual schools don't get any more money. They only get the same amount as they were before.

Also, you are wrong about the contract being renegotiated if Notre Dame and Florida St are added. The clause in the contract specifically says the payouts stay the same, regardless of which teams are added. There is no provision about Notre Dame or Florida St. You just made that up off the top of your head, and have no evidence to support it. I on the other hand, do have evidence to support my position.

The new Big 12 TV deal is expected to be announced any day, perhaps here this week as a celebration of the league's new-found strength. Within that deal is a clause that will give any new expansion candidates the same money as the current members (estimated to be at least $20 million per year).

One industry source said that number applies whether the Big 12 invites, "Appalachian State or Florida State." And according to another industry source, ESPN wouldn't stand in the way of Big 12 expansion even after negotiating a new deal with the ACC.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...n-and-feeling-its-oats-sitting-at-10-12-or-14

Sorry, you just don't have a leg to stand on.

No, I'm not wrong at all. The payout stays the same. If each school gets $20 million now, then each school will still get $20 million if new teams are added. I will quote Davie Boren again:

"The contract says that our main television contract ... if we grow from 10 to 11 or 11 to 12, their payments to us grow proportionally," Boren said. "So everybody's share stays the same. If it's 'X' dollars, it stays 'X' dollars."
http://westvirginia.forums.rivals.com/threads/expansion-big12-network-p5-lhn-mid-majors.25953/page-2

That's Boren's exact comment. If the schools get $20 million apiece now, they still get $20 million with new teams. The overall pot goes up, but the payout to each school does not go up

For example, 10 schools get $20 million each, then the overall pot is $200 million. If 12 schools get $20 million each, then the overall pot is $240 million. That's what I've been saying all along. And that's the entire problem. When other conferences expand, the payout to the individual schools goes up. The fact that the overall pot goes up from $200 million to $240 million doesn't do any good, because the individual schools don't get any more money. They only get the same amount as they were before.

Also, you are wrong about the contract being renegotiated if Notre Dame and Florida St are added. The clause in the contract specifically says the payouts stay the same, regardless of which teams are added. There is no provision about Notre Dame or Florida St. You just made that up off the top of your head, and have no evidence to support it. I on the other hand, do have evidence to support my position.

The new Big 12 TV deal is expected to be announced any day, perhaps here this week as a celebration of the league's new-found strength. Within that deal is a clause that will give any new expansion candidates the same money as the current members (estimated to be at least $20 million per year).

One industry source said that number applies whether the Big 12 invites, "Appalachian State or Florida State." And according to another industry source, ESPN wouldn't stand in the way of Big 12 expansion even after negotiating a new deal with the ACC.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...n-and-feeling-its-oats-sitting-at-10-12-or-14

Sorry, you just don't have a leg to stand on.

This is exactly the word game that ACC supporters play when comparing TV contracts and payouts. The contract is with the conference and not individual schools thus when the contract goes from say $200 million to $240 million it is an increase even when the payout per school is the same. Before this was pointed out by the OU President, many ACC posters were arguing that the contract wouldn't increase and every school would have to take less by the same pie being sliced more ways and that just isn't factually true.

I think that it is incredibly naive to think that if FSU and Clemson joined the Big 12, the networks would not increase the Big 12 contracts considerably more than if UConn and Cincinnati joined. Your linked articles from unnamed industry sources seems to undermine your argument more than anything else. Useless conjecture from years ago doesn't get any better with time.

Third tier rights are difficult to compare between schools, but only in the Big 12 are all of those rights retained by the school. This is part of the reason that Big 12 schools did so favorably when compared to the payout from other conferences like the SEC and PAC12. And the ACC to my knowledge still hasn't announced their payout from last "school" year. The Big 12's payout was $252 million.

The leg that you have been trying to stand on through out this thread seems to be the wobbly one.

Last edited:
This is exactly the word game that ACC supporters play when comparing TV contracts and payouts. The contract is with the conference and not individual schools thus when the contract goes from say $200 million to $240 million it is an increase even when the payout per school is the same. Before this was pointed out by the OU President, many ACC posters were arguing that the contract wouldn't increase and every school would have to take less by the same pie being sliced more ways and that just isn't factually true.

It's not a word game. The fact that the payout per schools doesn't increase is the entire point. The reason the other conferences expanded is because the payout per school increased. If you add more teams, and the payout per school doesn't increase, then adding the schools is pointless.

Nobody was arguing that the individual schools would get less money from the TV contract. That's you either twisting or misunderstanding what people said. What is true is that the rest of the conference payout, CFP, bowls, NCAA tournament, does have to be split two extra ways. Bob Bowlsby confirmed this. He also said that this revenue accounts for 40% of the conferences entire revenue:

It's important to note: Expansion would mean the Big 12 would have to share other league revenue 12 ways instead of 10. That means further dividing money from the College Football Playoff, other bowls and the NCAA Tournament -- real money some Big 12 schools won't want to lose without getting enough value in return from new members.

Bowlsby said that the portion of divided Big 12 money represents about 40 percent of current conference revenue
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...g-12-now-is-the-time-to-invest-in-your-sports

So what happens is, 40% of your entire payout gets split two extra ways, and the TV contract does not increase. Well, guess what? That means you have a net loss. That's what I've been saying, and it's 100% accurate.

I think that it is incredibly naive to think that if FSU and Clemson joined the Big 12, the networks would not increase the Big 12 contracts considerable more than if UConn and Cincinnati joined. Your linked articles from unnamed industry sources seems to undermine your argument more than anything else. Useless conjecture from years ago doesn't get any better with time.

No, it doesn't undermine my argument at all. It's very simple. The payout stays the same if the Big 12 expands, no matter who the teams are. There is a specific clause in the contract that says this, which I quoted.

For some reason, you keep ignoring that fact that David Boren said this himself. I'll post it yet again:

"The contract says that our main television contract ... if we grow from 10 to 11 or 11 to 12, their payments to us grow proportionally," Boren said. "So everybody's share stays the same. If it's 'X' dollars, it stays 'X' dollars."http://westvirginia.forums.rivals.com/threads/expansion-big12-network-p5-lhn-mid-majors.25953/page-2

Let me translate this quote for you, since so many people seem to misunderstand it. He said that the share each team gets from the TV contract will stay the same, even if new schools are added. So if each school gets $20 million from the contract now, each school will still get $20 million even if the conference expands.

He didn't say that it only applied to UConn or Cincinnati. He didn't say it would be different if Clemson and Florida St are the teams. Why didn't he say that? Because that's not what's in the contract. The contract clearly states that the payout per school stays the same, regardless of who the new teams are.

Let me address your point about the "insiders." I posted a direct quote from Chuck Neinas, who was the Big 12 commissioner when the contract was signed. He had a direct meeting with ESPN and Fox. This is his direct quote about the meeting:

Neinas' response: “Our television partners agreed that the only new member that would enhance the Big 12 value for television was Notre Dame.”
http://newsok.com/big-12-interim-co...at-would-add-tv-value/article/3688049/?page=1

That's the commissioner of the Big 12. That's not a nameless insider. Neinas talked specifically with ESPN and Fox, and they said Florida St and Clemson would not increase the payout that each Big 12 school receives. What is so hard to understand about that?

Third tier rights are difficult to compare between schools, but only in the Big 12 are all of those rights retained by the school. This is part of the reason that Big 12 schools did so favorably when compared to the payout from other conferences like the SEC and PAC12. And the ACC to my knowledge still hasn't announced their payout from last "school" year. The Big 12's payout was $252 million.

Ok, explain this to me. You just said:

the Big 12 are all of those rights retained by the school. This is part of the reason that Big 12 schools did so favorably when compared to the payout from other conferences like the SEC and PAC12

Any rights retained by the school are not included in the conference payouts.

So explain to me how the Big 12’s Tier 3 rights affected the conference payouts if the conference never gets that money in the first place? If you are comparing conference payouts, then you can only compare money that is paid out by the conference. The Big 12 conference itself doesn’t own any Tier 3 rights, so that’s not part of the conference payout.

Now, regarding the payouts for this year, only two conferences have announced. The SEC and Big 12. The SEC paid out $31.2 million per team, and the Big 12 paid out $27 million per team. How is the Big 12 doing “favorably” compared to the SEC when they paid out $4 million less?

You don’t know how the Big 12 did compared to the Pac 12, because the Pac 12 hasn’t announced yet. In fact, the Pac 12, Big Ten, and ACC all have not announced their payouts for this year. Explain to me why you criticize the ACC for this, but not the Big Ten and Pac 12?

Give it up TopDeck - you are not winning this argument. I have never seen anyone twist their words every post. Anyone that believes that a contract can not be renegotiated if both parties want to do it is naive.

Also there are other reasons to expand the conference. 1 - improve the position of the conference for the playoffs. 2 - hold a championship game - which would generate revenue. (And a Championship game at 10 teams is pointless). 3 - Get more teams in bowl games and NCAA Tournament. Both would happen because of the teams would have better records. (SEC would have never has all 7 west teams in bowl game if the conference was still at 12 members). 4 - more stability and a better television footprint which will bring a better television contract next time they are negotiated.

An amusing thread. When the next shoe drops, the shit will hit the fan and throw it in all sorts of unexpected directions. I would not want to bet on what the next turn of events will be. But, the next 10 years looks to be good for WVU. I hope the Big12 thrives, I like being a member of this conference in many ways, even though the geography is messed up. Don't forget the ignore feature, it can save a lot of pointless exchanges.

Any contract can be re-negotiated if both parties want to do that. That's ANY contract!! What is so hard to understand about that? Since you like to use examples, let me give you one. Let's say we sign a deal with Iran on the nuclear proliferation stuff... and down the road they break the "contract" terms. We can still bomb the piss out of them and the "contract" be damned!

To quote you, I never said it was. You just want to misstate my position because it contradicts the scenario you want to create. What I'm telling you is, you can't say that all possibilities are equal. Some theoretical possibility doesn't discount concrete reality.

I already dealt with. Chuck Neinas made this comment about that very situation:

“Our television partners agreed that the only new member that would enhance the Big 12 value for television was Notre Dame.”

ESPN and Fox have clearly stated their position. There aren't going to be any teams that would make them more money. That's why the clause is in the contract. It's not for "negotiating leverage." ESPN and Fox put that clause in there because they aren't interested in negotiating. They already know what kind of money they will make off Big 12 expansion, so that's why the put in the clause that the money stays the same. There isn't any guesswork here.

You are a f&*king imbecile!

Give it up TopDeck - you are not winning this argument. I have never seen anyone twist their words every post. Anyone that believes that a contract can not be renegotiated if both parties want to do it is naive.

Also there are other reasons to expand the conference. 1 - improve the position of the conference for the playoffs. 2 - hold a championship game - which would generate revenue. (And a Championship game at 10 teams is pointless). 3 - Get more teams in bowl games and NCAA Tournament. Both would happen because of the teams would have better records. (SEC would have never has all 7 west teams in bowl game if the conference was still at 12 members). 4 - more stability and a better television footprint which will bring a better television contract next time they are negotiated.

Oh, of course I'm winning the argument. You are just mad about it. That's obvious, because you keep ignoring factual information that I post. For example, you said:

Anyone that believes that a contract can not be renegotiated if both parties want to do it is naive.

Go back and read what I wrote on Post #56. ESPN and Fox have already said they aren't interested in renegotiating. Chuck Neinas already confirmed this. That's why the clause was put into the contract, because ESPN and Fox have already decided they don't want to renegotiate.

Any contract can be re-negotiated if both parties want to do that. That's ANY contract!! What is so hard to understand about that? Since you like to use examples, let me give you one. Let's say we sign a deal with Iran on the nuclear proliferation stuff... and down the road they break the "contract" terms. We can still bomb the piss out of them and the "contract" be damned!

What is so hard to understand about it? ESPN and Fox already said they don't want to renegotiate. I posted the link where Chuck Neinas said this. ESPN and Fox told him the contract wouldn't increase, regardless of who is added. They simply aren't interested in renegotiating. Just because you don't want to believe it is irrelevant.

Oh, of course I'm winning the argument. You are just mad about it. That's obvious, because you keep ignoring factual information that I post. For example, you said:

Anyone that believes that a contract can not be renegotiated if both parties want to do it is naive.

Go back and read what I wrote on Post #56. ESPN and Fox have already said they aren't interested in renegotiating. Chuck Neinas already confirmed this. That's why the clause was put into the contract, because ESPN and Fox have already decided they don't want to renegotiate.

You must have much experience in business. If both parties want to renegotiate the it will be renegotiated. Things change - what worked three years ago might not work now. You can spout out what was said three years ago but it does not necessarily hold today. Everything changes. Except your BULL CRAP.

One more example that you may not be old enough to remember or know about. President George H. W. Bush - "Read My Lips, No New Taxes." that was his campaign speech, convention acceptance theme, and he continued using it for two years as president. But in year three and the budget in a mess - He had to raise taxes.

Last edited:
This could go on forever and has become an exercise in futility. The same people that you selectively use to support your position are the ones on record in complete contradiction to most of your formulated assertions.

Bowlsby has proclaimed numerous times this year that Big 12 members are making as much if not more than members in other power conference. He even specifically pointed out after the SEC distribution announcement that several Big 12 schools made more money than their SEC counterparts when 3rd tier media rights compensation was factored into the equation.

I believe that a Florida State and/or Clemson would do much better financially in the Big 12 than in the ACC. I also believe that FSU & Clemson would add considerable value to the Big 12 TV contracts ( FSU against Oklahoma, Clemson against Texas, WVU against Clemson, etc., etc. ). At the same time, the loss of these two teams from the ACC would devastate that conference and the value of their TV contracts. No one wants to watch Pittsburgh play Syracuse in an empty stadium.

I think that Florida is going to make a lot more money than FSU over the next decade. South Carolina is going to make a lot more than Clemson. Texas is going to make more than A&M and Oklahoma is going to make more than Missouri. I even think that WVU is going to make more than FSU.

The only possible change (slim at best) IMO to the current power 5 conference membership until the TV contracts expire is that the Big 12 might invite two more members. When it is time for the contracts to be renegotiated, you are going to have new school presidents, new athletic directors, and new conference commissioners. WVU couldn't have landed in a better place.

What is so hard to understand about it? ESPN and Fox already said they don't want to renegotiate. I posted the link where Chuck Neinas said this. ESPN and Fox told him the contract wouldn't increase, regardless of who is added. They simply aren't interested in renegotiating. Just because you don't want to believe it is irrelevant.

Listen "grasshopper"... I have negotiated and re-negotiated more contracts than you can count...Those contracts were as pinned down as any and were always in a series of interpretation and fluidity simply because "things change" and you need to make corrections along the way.

Did someone pour cement in your head? It certainly doesn't seem that you understand much about human behavior or the nature of making a deal.

If two or more parties see an environmental, fiscal or elements leading to a drastic change in an initial agreement either contractually or in principle, they will sit down and construct a useful and mutually agreeable resolution to address those changes. Get over yourself!! Nothing is permanent and it will change!!

If two or more parties see an environmental, fiscal or elements leading to a drastic change in an initial agreement either contractually or in principle, they will sit down and construct a useful and mutually agreeable resolution to address those changes. Get over yourself!! Nothing is permanent and it will change!!

You just hope it will change. You have to have some evidence that it will change, and you haven't produced any. There is absolutely nothing to indicate ESPN or Fox have any interest or incentive to renegotiate the contract. Again, they didn't put that clause in the contract just for the hell of it. There was a reason, and that reason is, there isn't any incentive for them to pay the Big 12 extra money for expansion.

Listen "grasshopper"... I have negotiated and re-negotiated more contracts than you can count...Those contracts were as pinned down as any and were always in a series of interpretation and fluidity simply because "things change" and you need to make corrections along the way.

Did someone pour cement in your head? It certainly doesn't seem that you understand much about human behavior or the nature of making a deal.

No, I just live in reality, and don't make up things just because I want them to be true. ESPN and Fox put that clause into the contract for a reason. The Big 12 is already getting paid for 12 teams. That's why they won't increase the payout, because they are already overpaying. If the Big 12 expanded, then it would just get them back to real market value, which is why the payouts would stay the same as they do now, like David Boren and Bob Bowlsby said.

You are just trying to apply a theoretical generalization (that you hope to be true), while I'm going off of the real world situation.

You must have much experience in business. If both parties want to renegotiate the it will be renegotiated. Things change - what worked three years ago might not work now. You can spout out what was said three years ago but it does not necessarily hold today. Everything changes. Except your BULL CRAP.

One more example that you may not be old enough to remember or know about. President George H. W. Bush - "Read My Lips, No New Taxes." that was his campaign speech, convention acceptance theme, and he continued using it for two years as president. But in year three and the budget in a mess - He had to raise taxes.

You are using theoretical examples. I'm using the real world situation as it actually exists. Your George Bush analogy has nothing to do with this actual situation.

Like I told the other poster, ESPN and Fox had a reason to tell Neinas other teams wouldn't add value. ESPN and Fox put that clause into the contract for a reason. You have to show an actual change in circumstances. You can't just say, "Well, since one day things might change, that means the contract will be renegotiated." You have to show actual concrete evidence of some change in circumstances, and you have none.

I've explained this to you before. The Big 12 already get paid for 12 teams. That's why the clause was put into the contract, because adding teams would just get the Big 12 back to real market value, which is why the payouts would just stay the same.

This could go on forever and has become an exercise in futility. The same people that you selectively use to support your position are the ones on record in complete contradiction to most of your formulated assertions.

I'm not being selective about anything. David Boren said what he said. Chuck Neinas said what he said. The contract said what it says. You just don't like the facts, so you try ignore them.

Nothing I have said has been contradicted. Show me what has been contradicted.

Bowlsby has proclaimed numerous times this year that Big 12 members are making as much if not more than members in other power conference. He even specifically pointed out after the SEC distribution announcement that several Big 12 schools made more money than their SEC counterparts when 3rd tier media rights compensation was factored into the equation.

Here are the facts. The Big 12 paid out $27 million this year. http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/05/big-12-divvies-up-record-252-million/#32611101=0

The SEC paid out $31.2 million this year. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/sec_schools_to_each_reportedly.html

The other conferences haven’t announced yet.

Bowlsby is right that if you count Tier 3 for the Big 12, then they would make more. However, if you are going to do that, then you have to count Tier 3 for the SEC as well, which pushes them back up.

I believe that a Florida State and/or Clemson would do much better financially in the Big 12 than in the ACC. I also believe that FSU & Clemson would add considerable value to the Big 12 TV contracts ( FSU against Oklahoma, Clemson against Texas, WVU against Clemson, etc., etc. ). At the same time, the loss of these two teams from the ACC would devastate that conference and the value of their TV contracts. No one wants to watch Pittsburgh play Syracuse in an empty stadium.

Simply not true. The TV contracts pay about the same for each conference. Right now, the Big 12 TV contract pays out $20 million per team. The ACC pays out $18 million per team. If the ACC doesn’t get a network next year, the payout goes up by $2 million.

As Bowlsby pointed out, 40% of the Big 12’s total revenue would have to be split 2 extra ways, with nothing to make up the difference. As Bowlsby and Boren both pointed out, the payout from the TV contract will still payout $20 million, even if new teams are added. That’s a net decrease. Plus, Clemson and Florida St would have to pay extra travel costs. When the Big 12 rumors were going around in 2012, Florida St’s president sent out a letter to all FSU boosters which specifically said Florida St’s travel expenses would increase by $2 million if they joined the Big 12. Sorry, FSU’s president knows more about FSU’s finances than you do. If he says that’s how much it costs, then that’s how much it costs.

Now as to Clemson and Florida St adding value, what you believe doesn’t matter. The fact is they won’t add value. Yet again, Chuck Neinas already said both ESPN and Fox said nobody adds more value. He flat out said it. There is not spin there. Also, David Boren said himself that the payouts would not increase. Again, he flat out said it. You can’t ignore that. Boren wants expansion, and he still admitted the payouts would not increase. Sorry, that completely undercuts your argument. The guy who is pushing for expansion, even said the payouts would stay the same. It’s clear as day. There is no debate about it.

I think that Florida is going to make a lot more money than FSU over the next decade. South Carolina is going to make a lot more than Clemson. Texas is going to make more than A&M and Oklahoma is going to make more than Missouri. I even think that WVU is going to make more than FSU.

Actually, that’s not true. Oklahoma won’t make more than Missouri. The SEC payout is bigger than the Big 12 payout, which I just showed. Oklahoma makes $6.5 million from Tier 3. Not sure what Missouri makes, but they are already $4 million ahead of Oklahoma, before you get to Tier 3.

If you want to add in other stuff like ticket sales and booster donations, then Oklahoma probably makes more than Missouri. However, if you count that, then it throws off all of your other comparisons. Clemson and South Carolina make close to the same, when you count all of that. South Carolina comes out about $500k ahead. West Virginia makes even with Florida St, again owing to what I mentioned earlier. Florida makes more than Florida St no matter what. The posters at Warchant were talking about this, and they said that counting booster club and everything else, Florida makes about $40 million more than Florida St. Thing is, they say it’s been that way for going on 20 years now, or longer. They aren’t going to make that up no matter what.

I think we're just going in circles. The contract calls for a pro-rata increase for new teams. Other than that it's absurd to talk in absolutes one way or the other as to what the future holds.

I think we're just going in circles. The contract calls for a pro-rata increase for new teams. Other than that it's absurd to talk in absolutes one way or the other as to what the future holds.

Circles....are you sure ? ....did reading the exact same reply by a single poster seemingly a thousand times convince you ?

Why ruin it though ? You can make a 41 word post and expect at least a five hundred word reply.

Awesome!!

Reactions: bluesjoc
You are using theoretical examples. I'm using the real world situation as it actually exists. Your George Bush analogy has nothing to do with this actual situation.

I can tell now that you only see one side of any issue - the whole world is black and white to you. There is a world of grey out there. And not much is every truly black and white.

We have been trying to pound into your head that there is no law that says a contract can not be changed if both sides agree. We have not said that ESPN would agree to changes - we have said that ESPN could agree to changes if they thought it was worth it. Right now it might not be worth it but any number of things can change that would make enough of a difference for ESPN and FOX agree to change the contract. It may not be likely but it can happen.

The Bush example is not poor example. The economy changed between 1988 and 1991. And it make sense to make a change and violate his campaign promise. And everything in discussion of conference expansion is theoretical.

I don't think that I have ever seen anyone on this board ( not including trolls ) unable to apply the simplest rationale and reason to real world situations. And if that wasn't bad enough, the supporting links are outdated, quotes are out of context, statements are twisted, logic is convoluted, and the declarative facts are anything but facts. It is kind of bizarre the way the text book research does more to discredit the argument than offer proof in this thread. I am coming to the conclusion that the elevator just might not go all the way to the top floor.

I can tell now that you only see one side of any issue - the whole world is black and white to you. There is a world of grey out there. And not much is every truly black and white.

No, I just live in the real world and don't make up things like you.

We have been trying to pound into your head that there is no law that says a contract can not be changed if both sides agree. We have not said that ESPN would agree to changes - we have said that ESPN could agree to changes if they thought it was worth it. Right now it might not be worth it but any number of things can change that would make enough of a difference for ESPN and FOX agree to change the contract. It may not be likely but it can happen.

I never said that contracts can't be changed. The problem is, you are trying to give a theoretical possibility the same credence as current reality. ESPN and Fox have gone on record as saying Big 12 expansion will not add value to the TV contract. They even put a clause into the contract based on that principle. Real world actions have much more credibility that theoretical possibilities.

I'll ask the question again. Why didn't David Boren mention anything about getting the contract changed? He's the one who wants expansion, so why didn't he say what you said? Boren didn't even suggest anything about changing the contract. In fact, he accepted the premise of the contract as it stands.

The Bush example is not poor example. The economy changed between 1988 and 1991. And it make sense to make a change and violate his campaign promise. And everything in discussion of conference expansion is theoretical.

But here is the problem. You have to show some sort of change that would prompt ESPN and Fox to change the contract. You can't because there isn't any. Again, you can't give some far flung theoretical scenario the same credibility as actual reality.

Let me give you this example. West Virginia starts the season this year with Georgia Southern. Ok, I'm going to tell you right now, West Virginia is going to win that ball game.

Now, are you going to argue that point with me, because it theoretically possible that Georgia Southern might win? We could sit here and construct hundreds of scenarios as to how Georgia Southern might win the game. Are any of them realistic? No, they aren’t. We can sit here and talk theory all day, but the practical reality is, Georgia Southern isn’t winning that game.

By the same token, you can sit here and talk theory all day. You can construct a million different possibilities all day, but in reality, ESPN and Fox aren’t changing that contract, just like Georgia Southern isn’t beating West Virginia.

I don't think that I have ever seen anyone on this board ( not including trolls ) unable to apply the simplest rationale and reason to real world situations. And if that wasn't bad enough, the supporting links are outdated, quotes are out of context, statements are twisted, logic is convoluted, and the declarative facts are anything but facts. It is kind of bizarre the way the text book research does more to discredit the argument than offer proof in this thread. I am coming to the conclusion that the elevator just might not go all the way to the top floor.

The links aren't outdated. The information described in the links is still current and valid. The only twisting is what other people have done with my statements. What I've said is actually fact. The other posters admit they are only talking about theoretical possibilities, with no evidence to support them.

Show me where I'm wrong.

Circles....are you sure ? ....did reading the exact same reply by a single poster seemingly a thousand times convince you ?

Why ruin it though ? You can make a 41 word post and expect at least a five hundred word reply.

Awesome!!

Well the truth is, you are the one that started all this. I never said "contracts cant' be changed." You will not find those words written on any post I made. You just put words in my mouth, which is how this whole thing got started.

So, who won? Who got in the last word? What was the final score? Maybe it's like figure skating. What does the Russian judge say? Or possibly it is just based on word count. Maybe more is less. Less is more. More importantly, did WVU just score on Clemson again?

Well the truth is, you are the one that started all this. I never said "contracts cant' be changed." You will not find those words written on any post I made. You just put words in my mouth, which is how this whole thing got started.

All those posts with all those words and you finally replied directly to the comment that got you all heated.

Good job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT