ADVERTISEMENT

Everything We Know About Trumpland’s Ties To Russia, From Start To Finish

RichardPeterJohnson

All-American
Dec 7, 2010
Santa Cruz, CA
Of course, neither Trump nor any of his associates have any business dealings with Russia.

03/14/2017 07:00 am ET | Updated 1 day ago
It’s a convoluted history that raises a lot of questions.

By Nick Wing

What’s up with Donald Trump and Russia?

Depending on whom you ask, the answer to that question is either absolutely nothing or a scandal so huge it will lead to the president’s impeachment. So far, it’s unclear if either side is right. The truth may lie somewhere between the two extremes.

Trump’s camp has maintained that contact between the campaign and Russia was inconsequential and in some cases nonexistent, a claim that has proved untrue. We now know that members of Trump’s campaign met with Russian officials as the nation was apparently meddling in the U.S. presidential election with the goal of helping Trump win. If there’s any evidence of collusion between the president or his associates and Russia, however, it hasn’t been released.

Our timeline documents 30 years of Trump and his circle’s connections to Russia, which entered the spotlight in 2015 with the assembly of a campaign staff and platform that showed unprecedented levels of friendliness toward a historical adversary of the United States. The House Intelligence Committee will hold its first public hearing on the matter next week, which will hopefully provide further clarity about what all of this means, if anything.

Trump makes his first documented trip to Russia ― then the Soviet Union ― where he explores expanding his hotel business in Moscow.

That same year, Trump outlines a plan to solve the issue of nuclear proliferation amid Cold War tensions. The solution, he tells journalist Ron Rosenbaum, is for the U.S. and the Soviet Union to join forces and use their nuclear and economic power to keep other nations from developing nukes and more broadly impose their will on the rest of the world.

“Most of those [pre-nuclear] countries are in one form or another dominated by the U.S. and the Soviet Union,” Trump says. “Between those two nations you have the power to dominate any of those countries. So we should use our power of economic retaliation and they use their powers of retaliation and between the two of us we will prevent the problem from happening.”

58c6d51c270000ee64749af4.jpeg

Ron Galella via Getty Images
Donald Trump celebrates publication of The Art of the Deal at the Trump Tower Atrium in New York City on Dec. 12, 1987. Earlier that year, he made his first reported trip to the Soviet Union and later outlined a U.S.-Russia plan on nuclear proliferation.
Trump plans to meet with Mikhail Gorbachev in New York when the leader of the Soviet Union visits the United Nations. Trump reportedly wants"}}">reportedly wants to pitch his vision of a U.S.-Soviet nuclear alliance to Gorbachev.

Amid murmurs of Gorbachev’s scheduled trip to Trump Tower, Trump explains"}}">explains that his real estate prospects in Moscow didn’t work out.

“In the Soviet Union, you don’t own anything,” he says. “It’s hard to conjure up spending hundreds of millions of dollars on something and not own it.”

The meeting between Trump and Gorbachev ultimately falls through.

1996-1997
Trump resumes plans to expand his real estate empire in Moscow. Despite making several trips to the Russian capital, the project again fails to launch.

Trump agrees to a licensing deal with development company Bayrock to build a hotel in Moscow. Bayrock’s founder is Tevfik Arif, a Kazakhstan-born former Soviet official. Trump reportedly puts Felix Sater"}}">reportedly puts Felix Sater, a Russian-born convicted felon with Mafia ties who now lives in the U.S., in charge of the project.

Two of Trump’s children, Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka, visit Moscow to meet with potential business partners. Sater claims Trump asked him to accompany"}}">asked him to accompany his children on the trip from New York to Russia, but the Trump Organization later said it was a coincidence that they were in Russia at the same time.

Over the next decade"}}">decade and beyond"}}">beyond, Trump attempts to distance himself from Sater, despite documents suggesting"}}">documents suggesting he played a substantial role at Trump Tower, including serving as a “senior adviser” to Trump.

58c6d5892700003800749af6.jpeg

Steve Carrera / Reuters
Donald Trump Jr., with his father and sister Ivanka, speaks to the press in Chicago on May 10, 2006, about plans for a Trump hotel and tower in Chicago. Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka traveled to Moscow in 2006 to meet with potential business partners.
Oct. 15 ― Trump praises Russian President Vladimir Putin in an interview with Larry King"}}">interview with Larry King.

“Look at Putin ― what he’s doing with Russia ― I mean, you know, what’s going on over there. I mean this guy has done ― whether you like him or don’t like him ― he’s doing a great job … in rebuilding the image of Russia and also rebuilding Russia period. Forget about image.”

Weeks before Trump’s comments, Putin had made a controversial play to maintain power by becoming Russia’s prime minister after serving two terms as president. He was elected president again in 2012.

In July ― Trump sells a Palm Beach, Florida, estate to Russian oligarch Dmitry Rybolovlev for nearly $100 million. Trump had purchased in 2004 for less than half of that at a bankruptcy auction.

Sept. 15 ― Donald Trump Jr. tells a travel industry publication"}}">tells a travel industry publication that his organization has significant financial ties to Russia, which had led him to make at least a half-dozen trips there over the preceding 18 months.

“In terms of high-end product influx into the U.S., Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets,” he says. “We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia. There’s indeed a lot of money coming for new-builds and resale reflecting a trend in the Russian economy and, of course, the weak dollar versus the ruble.”

But Trump’s son admits it’s been hard for them to get a foothold in the Russian market.

“As much as we want to take our business over there, Russia is just a different world,” he says. “t is a question of who knows who, whose brother is paying off who, etc. … It really is a scary place.”

Oct. 26 ― Julian Assange of WikiLeaks teases a large-scale document dump"}}">teases a large-scale document dump supposedly detailing the shadowy inner workings of the Russian government. The release never happens.

Dec. 12 ― During an impromptu chat with Brian Kilmeade of Fox News, Trump calls WikiLeaks “disgraceful”"}}">calls WikiLeaks “disgraceful” and suggests there should be a “death penalty or something” for the perpetrators.

Dec. 5 ― Trump expresses “respect” for Putin in his book Time to Get Tough.

“Putin has big plans for Russia. He wants to edge out its neighbors so that Russia can dominate oil supplies to all of Europe. Putin has also announced his grand vision: the creation of a ‘Eurasian Union’ made up of former Soviet nations that can dominate the region. I respect Putin and the Russians but cannot believe our leader allows them to get away with so much...Hats off to the Russians...[President Barack] Obama’s plan to have Russia stand up to Iran was a horrible failure that turned America into a laughingstock.”

June 18 ― Trump tweets about the upcoming Miss Universe Pageant, which he owns:

Then he tries to make a playdate with Putin:

In August ― The editor-in-chief of the Kremlin-backed RT network reportedly visits Assange at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, according to a report later released by U.S. intelligence agencies.

“They discussed renewing his broadcast contract with RT, according to Russian and Western media,” the 2017 report states. “Russian media subsequently announced that RT had become ‘the only Russian media company’ to partner with WikiLeaks and had received access to ‘new leaks of secret information.’ RT routinely gives Assange sympathetic coverage and provides him a platform to denounce the United States.”

Oct. 17 ― Trump tells late-night talk show host David Letterman that he has “a lot of business with the Russians.” He responds to Letterman’s quip about Russians being “commies” by calling them “smart” and “tough.” Trump says he had met Putin “once.”

Nov. 10 ― Trump returns from the Miss Universe Pageant, which was apparently an eye-opening trip.

He later tweets"}}">tweets that he plans to build a Trump Tower in Moscow.

In February ― Troops aligned with Russia begin to invade and seize control of the Crimean peninsula in Ukraine.

March 17 ― After Putin officially annexes Crimea, Obama’s administration imposes personal sanctions on Russian officials for facilitating the incursion. Targeted individuals are banned from traveling to the U.S., and their U.S.-based financial assets are frozen.

Throughout 2014 ― Trump grants interviews to biographer Michael D’Antonio, who would go on to write The Truth About Trump. Trump brags about courting Russian clients to buy real estate at his properties in the U.S.

“I know the Russians better than anybody,” Trump tells D’Antonio, according to transcripts the author later provided to The New York Times.

Feb. 25 ― Trump tells conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt he’ll release his tax returns"}}">he’ll release his tax returns if he decides to run for president.

“I would certainly show tax returns if it was necessary,” he says. “I have no objection to certainly showing tax returns.”

Trump never makes this disclosure, which experts say"}}">experts say would provide some clarity about the nature of his dealings in Russia.

June 16 ― Trump officially announces his bid for president.

July 20 ― Trump predicts"}}">predicts that he’d “get along very well with” Putin. Trump also notes that he’d had “major business” in Russia in the past and claims he’d “had a great relationship with the people of Russia.”

Sept. 20 ― Trump says he’s open to meeting"}}">open to meeting with Putin at the United Nations General Assembly. A few days earlier, the Trump Organization’s vice president, Michael Cohen, said it was a “better than likely chance” the two men would convene. A meeting is never confirmed.

Sept. 21 ― Trump describes his 2013 visit to Moscow"}}">describes his 2013 visit to Moscow in an interview with Hugh Hewitt.

“I was with the top-level people, both oligarchs and generals, and top-of-the-government people,” Trump says. “I can’t go further than that, but I will tell you that I met the top people, and the relationship was extraordinary. And we just don’t have relationships in this country. You know, relationship is very important, whether it’s congressmen or whether it’s senators, or, you know, whatever it may be. Relationship is a very important element, and we don’t have it in this country anymore.”

Sept. 29 ― Trump offers kind words to Putin"}}">offers kind words to Putin, telling Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly that the Russian president “is a nicer person than I am.”

Trump also claims Putin is a more effective leader than Obama.

“I will tell you that, in terms of leadership, he’s getting an A and our president is not doing so well,” he says.

Oct. 11 ― Trump continues to portray himself as a friend and acquaintance of Putin.

“I think the biggest thing we have is that we were on ‘60 Minutes’ together and we had fantastic ratings. One of your best-rated shows in a long time,” he jokes on CBS. “So that was good, right? So we were stable mates.”

Nov. 10 ― Trump repeats his claim about Putin and “60 Minutes” at a GOP debate but later clarifies that they never actually met during the taping of the show. Over the next few months, the Trump-Putin bromance continues to blossom, with both men regularly complimenting each other in public comments and appearances.

Dec. 10 ― Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, attends a high-profile gala"}}">attends a high-profile gala in Moscow hosted by RT. He’s reportedly paid $40,000 for the appearance, at which he sits near Putin.

58c6d5d81d00001d107ce1ea.jpeg

Sputnik Photo Agency / Reuters
Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, left, sits with Russian President Vladimir Putin at an exhibition marking the 10th anniversary of the RT television channel in Moscow on Dec. 10, 2015.
Feb. 9 ― Rex Tillerson, then-CEO of Exxon Mobil, in a speech"}}">in a speech at the University of Texas at Austin, says he has “a very close relationship” with Putin. Less than a year later, Tillerson is confirmed as Trump’s secretary of state.

March 21 ― Trump names Carter Page"}}">names Carter Page as a member of his campaign’s foreign policy team. Page is a former investment banker once based in Moscow and reportedly has ties to Russian energy magnates.

March 28 ― Trump brings on Paul Manafort as campaign manager to help him wrangle delegates in the GOP primary. Manafort had most recently served for more than a decade as senior adviser to former Ukrainian President Viktor F. Yanukovych, a Putin sympathizer who was ousted in 2014 and fled to Russia.

In April ― Manafort reportedly meets"}}">reportedly meets with Konstantin Kilimnik, a joint Russian-Ukrainian citizen who formerly worked as Manafort’s staffer in Washington, D.C. Kilimnik has suspected ties"}}">suspected ties to Russian intelligence officials.

April 27 ― Trump meets Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak before a foreign policy speech in Washington, D.C. Organizers claim the conversation between the two men was brief"}}">the conversation between the two men was brief and perhaps little more than a greeting. Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), then a Trump campaign surrogate, reportedly also crosses paths with Kislyak"}}">crosses paths with Kislyak, though it’s unclear if they speak directly.

June 15 ― A hacker or hacker collective known as Guccifer 2.0 releases the first round of documents stolen from the Democratic National Committee. U.S. intelligence agencies later conclude that Russian-directed hackers are behind Guccifer’s actions.

July 7 ― Page delivers a speech at Moscow’s New Economic School criticizing U.S. policy toward Russia as reminiscent of Cold War tactics. He accuses the West of having a “hypocritical focus on ideas such as democratization, inequality, corruption and regime change.” The Trump campaign reportedly approves the trip"}}">reportedly approves the trip, which Page says he took as a private citizen.

An explosive, though unverified, intelligence dossier later claims that during the trip Igor Sechin, CEO of Rosneft, Russia’s state oil company, offers Page and associates a 19 percent stake in the company if he could help lift U.S. sanctions on Russia.

Pushing back against reports"}}">reports that he met with Putin confidants Sechin and Igor Diveykin, the Kremlin’s deputy chief of internal policy, Page says he had no contact with “sanctioned individuals.” He also denies discussing lifting economic sanctions or any further cooperation between the Russian government and the Trump campaign.

58c6d7261e00003f0077f75b.jpeg

Sergei Karpukhin / Reuters
Carter Page, a member of the Trump campaign’s foreign policy team, delivers a speech in Moscow in 2016 in which he criticizes U.S. policy toward Russia.
July 18 ― Delegates at the Republican National Convenction adopt a party platform with wording supporting Ukraine’s sovereignty. Trump staffers reportedly work behind the scenes"}}">reportedly work behind the scenes to water down language that had called for “providing lethal defensive weapons” to Ukrainians and instead offer an amendment calling for the granting of “appropriate assistance.”

Trump national security adviser J.D. Gordon later says he advocated"}}">says he advocated for the softer platform language, which he says was consistent with Trump’s views on the matter.

July 20 ― Trump national security advisers Gordon, Page and Walid Phares reportedly attend a diplomacy event during the Republican National Committee in Cleveland. Kislyak is also present, along with other diplomats. Gordon and Page later admit to meeting with Kislyak, though they deny engaging in any inappropriate conversation on behalf of the Trump campaign. Phares later denies having partaken in the meeting with Kislyak.

Sessions speaks individually"}}">speaks individually with Kislyak at the same event. Sessions later claims he attended the event as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, not as a surrogate for the Trump campaign. But a later report finds Sessions spoke about the Trump campaign during his appearance. He also paid for the trip with political funds, not official congressional funding.

July 22 ― WikiLeaks releases emails hacked from the DNC’s server.

July 26 ― U.S. intelligence agencies reportedly tell the White House they have “high confidence” that the Russian government is responsible for the DNC hack.

July 27 ― Trump and his campaign team push back against claims Russia is trying to help him get elected.

“I don’t know anything about it,” he tells CBS Miami"}}">tells CBS Miami. “I can tell you, I think if I came up with that, they’d say, ‘Oh, it’s a conspiracy theory,’ it’s ridiculous. I mean I have nothing to do with Russia. I don’t have any jobs in Russia. I’m all over the world, but we’re not involved in Russia.”

Manafort later gives an interview to CBS in which he defends Trump’s claims that he has no ties to Russia.

“That’s what he said,” says Manafort. “That’s what ... that’s obviously what our position is.”

July 27 ― Trump holds a news conference, where he appears to make light of reports of Russian hacking by directly asking the Russians to track down additional Hillary Clinton emails.

“I will tell you this, Russia: If you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Trump says. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

Roger Stone, a renowned political provocateur, longtime Trump confidant and former adviser to Trump’s campaign, later says Russia would indeed have reason to hack Democratic presidential rival Clinton’s email.

July 31 ― In separate interviews, Trump"}}">Trump and Manafort"}}">Manafort both deny they were behind efforts to draft more Russia-friendly GOP platform language.

In August ― Manafort reportedly meets"}}">reportedly meets with Kilimnik again. This time, his trip reportedly attracts the attention of U.S. investigators. Kilimnik reportedly claims he partook in the effort to soften GOP platform language toward Ukraine.

Aug. 5 ― Assange claims WikiLeaks"}}">claims WikiLeaks is “working on” obtaining Trump’s tax returns. The organization later walks back that claim, calling it a joke.

Stone publishes a column in Breitbart News"}}">column in Breitbart News that accuses Clinton of manufacturing links between Russia and recent hacks.

Aug. 8 ― Stone claims to have communicated with Assange"}}">claims to have communicated with Assange.

“I actually have communicated with Assange,” he said. “I believe the next tranche of his documents pertain to the Clinton Foundation, but there’s no telling what the October surprise may be.”

Aug. 14 ― The New York Times reports"}}">reports that Manafort’s name was listed on a secret payment ledger from Yanukovych’s political party. The document shows more than $12 million earmarked for Manafort, though his lawyer denies that the payments were ever made.

That same day, Stone engages in a brief conversation"}}">engages in a brief conversation with the official Twitter account of Guccifer 2.0. Stone later admits to the exchange"}}">admits to the exchange but calls it “completely innocuous and perfunctory.”

Aug. 21 ― Stone predicts trouble for Clinton campaign manager John Podesta. Podesta’s email had already been hacked at the time, though WikiLeaks doesn’t release the messages until October.

Aug. 29 ― Manafort steps down as Trump’s campaign manager.

Sept. 1 ― Obama’s Treasury Department announces new sanctions against Russia related to Putin’s meddling in Ukraine.

Sept. 3-5 ― Obama and Putin attend the G-20 summit in Hangzhou, China.

Sept. 5 ― Obama and Putin have a tense, lengthy discussion about a potential cease-fire in Syria. Putin publicly calls on Obama to lift recent sanctions. Obama later says the two men directly discussed, seemingly for the first time, reports of Russian hacking targeting Democratic Party officials. Obama says that he told Putin to “cut it out.”

Sept. 7 ― Defense Secretary Ash Carter accuses Russia of sowing seeds of global instability and questions if Moscow is genuinely interested in finding an agreement on a cease-fire in Syria.

Trump later praises Putin on national TV. “[Putin] has very strong control over a country,” he says during NBC’s commander-in-chief forum with Clinton in New York. “Now, it’s a very different system, and I don’t happen to like that system. But certainly in that system he’s been a leader far more than our president has been a leader.”

Sept. 8. ― Sessions and Kislyak meet privately in his Senate office.

Trump’s vice presidential pick, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, later agrees with Trump’s assessment of Putin’s strength as a leader. “I think it’s inarguable that Vladimir Putin has been a stronger leader in his country than Barack Obama has been in this country,” he tells CNN. “And that’s going to change the day that Donald Trump becomes president.”

The same day, Trump goes on RT, where he tells host Larry King that it was “probably unlikely” Russia was trying to interfere in the election. Democrats “are putting that out,” Trump claims.

Sept. 9 ― Secretary of State John F. Kerry meets with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Geneva. They reach an agreement on a renewal of a cease-fire in Syria.

Sept. 26 ― Page announces he’s taking a leave of absence"}}">taking a leave of absence from the Trump campaign amid controversy surrounding his Russian ties.

Later that day, Trump uses the hacked DNC emails to attack Clinton at the first presidential debate. But he also pushes back against claims Russia is involved in the hacks.

“She’s saying Russia, Russia, Russia, but I don’t — maybe it was. I mean, it could be Russia, but it could also be China. It could also be lots of other people. It also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds, OK? You don’t know who broke into DNC.”

Oct. 6 ― Stone again teases an October surprise courtesy of WikiLeaks.

Oct. 7 ― WikiLeaks releases Podesta’s stolen emails. The dump comes hours after a 2005 recording surfaced of Trump making vulgar comments and bragging about sexually assaulting women.

Oct. 9 ― Trump and Clinton get into a heated exchange about WikiLeaks during the second presidential debate. Trump insists that Russia has nothing to do with it.

“She doesn’t know if it’s the Russians doing the hacking,” Trump says. “Maybe there is no hacking. But they always blame Russia. And the reason they blame Russia because they think they’re trying to tarnish me with Russia. I know nothing about Russia. I know — I know about Russia, but I know nothing about the inner workings of Russia. I don’t deal there. I have no businesses there. I have no loans from Russia.”

Oct. 10 ― Trump reads from leaked Clinton campaign emails at a campaign rally in Pennsylvania.

“I love WikiLeaks,” he tells supporters.

58c6dbe8270000ee64749b16.jpeg

Peter Nicholls / Reuters
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange draws praise from Trump after hacked Democratic campaign emails are released.
Oct. 11 ― Donald Trump Jr. delivers a paid speech at a Paris event hosted by allies of the Russian government who supported the Kremlin’s approach to the Syrian conflict. Trump’s appearance reportedly nets him at least $50,000"}}">reportedly nets him at least $50,000.

Oct. 12 ― Stone admits to having contact with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange over hacked emails regarding the Clinton campaign.

“I do have a back-channel communication with Assange, because we have a good mutual friend,” Stone tells CBS Miami"}}">CBS Miami. “That friend travels back and forth from the United States to London and we talk. I had dinner with him last Monday.”

Stone says this communication doesn’t involve any advance notice about the release of the stolen emails or their content. He also denies"}}">denies that WikiLeaks is linked to the Russians.

58c6dcf4270000ee64749b1b.jpeg

Brendan McDermid / Reuters
Political adviser Roger Stone boasts of his connections to the founder of WikiLeaks in October.
Oct. 30 ― A jetliner owned by Rybolovlev, the Russian oligarch who paid Trump nearly $100 million for a Florida property in 2008, lands in Las Vegas, where Trump is campaigning. Days later, the same plane lands in Charlotte, North Carolina, around the time of Trump’s arrival at that airport. Both trips appear to be unusual for Rybolovlev’s aircraft. The White House later says nobody on the campaign was aware of this overlap and dismisses the timing of the trips as coincidence.

“For a press corps so obsessed with evidence, proof and feigning a general disgust at even the hint of conspiracy, this is pretty rich,” a Trump spokesman tells Business Insider"}}">tells Business Insider in March 2017.

Nov. 8 ― Trump defeats Clinton in the presidential election.

Nov. 18 ― Trump selects Flynn as his national security adviser.

Dec. 8 ― Page returns to Russia"}}">returns to Russia, where he claims to be huddling with “business leaders and thought leaders.

Dec. 12 ― During a presentation in Moscow"}}">presentation in Moscow, Page says he met with an “executive from Rosneft” to discuss sanctions. Page says he has no role in the Trump administration.

Mid-to-late December ― Flynn and Jared Kushner, a senior adviser to Trump and the president’s son-in-law, meet with Kislyak at Trump Tower"}}">meet with Kislyak at Trump Tower. Trump campaign officials claim they engaged in a general conversation, with the goal of “establish[ing] a line of communication” between the incoming administration and the Russian government.

Dec. 26 ― Moscow police find Oleg Erovinkin, a former KGB official linked to the dossier on Trump’s supposed ties to Russia, dead in the back seat of his car. Reports of his death don’t surface until a month later, fueling conspiracy theories revolving around a string of other Russian diplomats"}}">string of other Russian diplomats, including U.N. Ambassador Vitaly Churkin, who have died since November. Officials have not officially given a cause of death for Erovinkin, though local reports claimed it was a result of foul play.

Dec. 29 ― Flynn has multiple phone conversations with Kislyak to discuss sanctions handed down by Obama earlier in the day, which included the expulsion of suspected Russian intelligence operatives in response to meddling in the U.S. presidential election. Officials later say a review of the transcript"}}">review of the transcript didn’t reveal any criminal wrongdoing by Flynn.

58c6dc721d00001d107ce215.jpeg

Thomas Peter/Reuters
Meetings with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak appear to slip Sen. Jeff Sessions’ mind during his Senate hearings.
Dec. 30 ― Trump applauds Putin’s decision not to retaliate against the Obama administration’s sanctions, overturning an earlier plan by Russia’s foreign minister to expel U.S. diplomatic staff from Moscow.

Jan. 6 ― U.S. intelligence agencies release an unclassified report"}}">release an unclassified report concluding that Putin directed efforts to intervene in the U.S. presidential election with the goal of helping Trump win. The authors of the report argue that Russian spies hacked into DNC servers in July 2015 and maintained access for more than a year. They claim a Russian hacking agency “relayed material it acquired from the DNC and senior Democratic officials to WikiLeaks.”

Jan. 7 ― After denying Russia played a role in hacking or affected November’s elections results, Trump doubles down on insisting that his only goal is to improve U.S. relations with Russia.

Jan. 10 ― In sworn testimony during his confirmation hearing for attorney general, Sessions fails to disclose his meetings with Kislyak.

“I’m not aware of those activities,” Sessions tells Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) of reports of contacts between Trump campaign officials and the Russian envoy. “I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign, and I did not have communications with the Russians.”

Later that day, CNN and BuzzFeed publish reports on an unverified dossier compiled by former British intelligence agent Christopher Steele. The document contains provocative claims that people in Trump’s campaign were actively involved with Russian efforts to meddle in the election.

Jan. 11 ― Trump assails intelligence agencies on Twitter"}}">assails intelligence agencies on Twitter and accuses them of pushing a “fake” story about his campaign’s ties to Russia. He goes on to liken their alleged efforts to “Nazi Germany.”

Jan. 17 ― Trump again denies having any business dealings in Russia.

“I have no dealings with Russia,” he says at a news conference. “I have no deals that could happen in Russia, because we’ve stayed away. And I have no loans with Russia.”

Jan. 19 ― Manafort, Page and Stone are named in a New York Times report as targets of an investigation by U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies into the campaign’s ties with Russia.

Jan. 20 ― Trump is sworn in as 45th president of the United States.

58c6dde52700003800749b1e.jpeg

Tom Williams via Getty Images
Donald Trump is inaugurated the day after three of his former aides are reported to be targets of an investigation into Russian ties.
Feb. 6 ― Michael Cohen, vice president of the Trump Organization and Trump’s personal lawyer, delivers Flynn a proposal"}}">delivers Flynn a proposal to lift U.S. sanctions on Russia and broker peace in Crimea. Felix Sater, who had previously pursued business in Moscow on Trump’s behalf, is also a party to the deal. The plan is reportedly crafted through back-channel communications and does not have official backing.

Feb. 8 ― Sessions wins Senate confirmation in a 52-47 vote, mostly along party lines.

Feb. 9 ― The Washington Post reports"}}">Washington Post reports that Flynn discussed U.S. sanctions against Russia in his previous conversations with Kislyak.

Feb. 13 ― Flynn steps down as national security adviser.

Feb. 14 ― The New York Times, citing “four current and former American officials,” reports"}}">reports that members of Trump’s campaign and other associates “had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the election.”

Feb. 15 ― CNN, citing anonymous U.S. officials, reports"}}">reports that “high-level advisers close to then-presidential nominee Donald Trump were in constant communication during the campaign with Russians known to US intelligence.”

Feb. 16 ― Trump dismisses recent reports about his campaign’s contact with Russia as “fake news” and “a ruse.”

Stone denies having contact"}}">denies having contact with anyone from Russia or their intermediaries during the presidential campaign.

March 2 ― Sessions announces he will recuse himself from any Justice Department investigation into the Trump campaign’s potential ties to Russia, following reports that he’d failed to disclose meetings with Kislyak during his confirmation hearing.

58c6de7f1e00002a0077f785.jpeg

Yuri Gripas / Reuters
U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions announces that he will recuse himself from any Justice Department investigation into Trump campaign contacts with Russia.
March 4 ― In a string of early-morning tweets, Trump accuses Obama of tapping his phones at Trump Tower the month before the election. The allegations, made with no substantiation, spark further questions about whether the president is among the targets of the Trump-Russia investigation.

March 5 ― Stone deletes tweet about his “back-channel communication” with Assange. He later speaks about the “mutual friend” with links to WikiLeaks but again denies that Assange is cooperating with the Russians.

March 9 ― White House press secretary Sean Spicer says Trump is not one of the targets of an investigation into the campaign’s Russia ties, after first appearing to suggest it was a possibility.

March 20 ― FBI Director James Comey appears at a House Intelligence Committee hearing, where he confirms that intelligence and law enforcement agencies are still investigating potential collusion between Trump’s campaign and Russia. Comey also directly refutes Trump’s wiretapping claim, saying he has no information to support the president’s allegations.

We’ll be updating this story as we get additional information. If you believe there’s an additional relevant date worth including on this timeline, please email it to scoop@huffingtonpost.com.

Do you have information you want to share with the Huffington Post? Here’s how.

Suggest a correction

Nick Wing
Senior Viral Editor, The Huffington Post
MORE:
Donald Trump U.s. Presidential Elections Russia Vladimir Putin Jeff Sessions
Sign Your Name: Make Voter Registration Automatic
Target: American Lawmakers
We should be making it easier for people to vote, not harder. That's why voter registration should be automatic for every eligible citizen.

Sign our petition if you agree that voter registration should be automatic.

blob

This petition is hosted by The Action Network. By adding your name, you are sharing your information with The Action Network, whose Privacy Policy (https://actionnetwork.org/privacy) applies.

Petition by

Progressive Turnout Project

Northbrook, Illinois
Sign This Petition
Not in the US?

• You may receive updates from Progressive Turnout Project, the creator of this petition.
      • Edit Subscription Preferences

by Taboola
Sponsored Links

You May Like5 Years From Now, You’ll Probably Wish You Grabbed These StocksThe Motley FoolOak Ridge, Tennessee: This Brilliant Company Is Disrupting a $200 Billion IndustryProvide Savings Insurance QuotesHiring a Handyman: The Best Solution for Your Small Home RepairsHomeAdvisorOak Ridge: This Meal Service is Cheaper Than Your Local StoreHome ChefThe amazing VA benefits not enough vets are claiming in TennesseeLendingTree Mortgage QuotesWondering which applications to move to the cloud?Microsoft
Around The WebPowered By ZergNet

How Trump Is Trying to Govern America Like an Internet TrollRollingstone.com

North Korea Threatens US With ‘Merciless’ AttacksNypost.com

School Destroys Betsy DeVos On Twitter After CriticismScarymommy.com

CONVERSATIONS

TRENDING
Trump Gives Evidence Of Being An Atheist!

Twitter Is Buzzing With Donald Trump ‘Space Alien’ Rumors

Reese Witherspoon Shows What Happens When You Give Your Kid A Hard-To-Spell Name

Jessica Chastain Shuts Down Bro Who Tried To Mansplain Women’s Health

Lipstick Under A Microscope Is Insanely Gorgeous, One Science Teacher Discovers

LendingTree

The Amazing VA Benefits Not Enough Vets Are Claiming

SUBSCRIBE TO & FOLLOW POLITICS
How will Trump’s administration impact you? Learn more

Newsletter

SUGGESTED FOR YOU
Germany Considers Fining Social Media Sites For Hate Speech, Fake News

Chris Evans Was Warned Not To Talk About Trump, But Does It Anyway

Scottish Leader Demands New Referendum On Independence

‘Blind’ Cat Dazzles Everyone After Opening His Stunning Eyes

Twitter Hilariously Burns Kellyanne Conway For Microwave Comment

WHAT’S HOT
Camera Catches 2-Year-Old Twins Having Epic Party After Bedtime

People Cancels Annual Correspondents’ Dinner Event In The Name Of Press Freedom

Mom Shares Postpartum Medical Struggles With Powerful Instagram

Asian ‘Iron Fist’ Actor Who Lost Lead To White Guy Gets Major Internet Love

Army Vet Who Served Two Tours In Afghanistan To Be Deported, Judge Rules

Suspected U.S. Airstrike Hits School Sheltering Displaced People In Syria

Stephen Colbert Tears Into The Trump Administration’s Paranoia

Nazi-Themed Trump Billboard To Stay Up As Long As He’s President, Owner Says

On fire today! Yeah.... you're becoming as batty as some others on here.

Peel-The-Onion.jpg

Wow, lots there. But Trump said he doesn't know any Russians.

Yep, if your gut tells you something seems awfully strange, it is. People don't lie about and try to hide sound, legal and ethical meetings and relationships.

Of course, neither Trump nor any of his associates have any business dealings with Russia.

By Nick Wing

Depending on whom you ask, the answer to that question is either absolutely nothing or a scandal so huge it will lead to the president’s impeachment. So far, it’s unclear if either side is right. The truth may lie somewhere between the two extremes.

Trump’s camp has maintained that contact between the campaign and Russia was inconsequential and in some cases nonexistent, a claim that has proved untrue. We now know that members of Trump’s campaign met with Russian officials as the nation was apparently meddling in the U.S. presidential election with the goal of helping Trump win. If there’s any evidence of collusion between the president or his associates and Russia, however, it hasn’t been released.

Our timeline documents 30 years of Trump and his circle’s connections to Russia, which entered the spotlight in 2015 with the assembly of a campaign staff and platform that showed unprecedented levels of friendliness toward a historical adversary of the United States. The House Intelligence Committee will hold its first public hearing on the matter next week, which will hopefully provide further clarity about what all of this means, if anything.

Trump makes his first documented trip to Russia ― then the Soviet Union ― where he explores expanding his hotel business in Moscow.

That same year, Trump outlines a plan to solve the issue of nuclear proliferation amid Cold War tensions. The solution, he tells journalist Ron Rosenbaum, is for the U.S. and the Soviet Union to join forces and use their nuclear and economic power to keep other nations from developing nukes and more broadly impose their will on the rest of the world.

“Most of those [pre-nuclear] countries are in one form or another dominated by the U.S. and the Soviet Union,” Trump says. “Between those two nations you have the power to dominate any of those countries. So we should use our power of economic retaliation and they use their powers of retaliation and between the two of us we will prevent the problem from happening.”

Donald Trump celebrates publication of The Art of the Deal at the Trump Tower Atrium in New York City on Dec. 12, 1987. Earlier that year, he made his first reported trip to the Soviet Union and later outlined a U.S.-Russia plan on nuclear proliferation.
Trump plans to meet with Mikhail Gorbachev in New York when the leader of the Soviet Union visits the United Nations. Trump reportedly wants"}}">reportedly wants to pitch his vision of a U.S.-Soviet nuclear alliance to Gorbachev.

Amid murmurs of Gorbachev’s scheduled trip to Trump Tower, Trump explains"}}">explains that his real estate prospects in Moscow didn’t work out.

“In the Soviet Union, you don’t own anything,” he says. “It’s hard to conjure up spending hundreds of millions of dollars on something and not own it.”

1996-1997
Trump resumes plans to expand his real estate empire in Moscow. Despite making several trips to the Russian capital, the project again fails to launch.

Trump agrees to a licensing deal with development company Bayrock to build a hotel in Moscow. Bayrock’s founder is Tevfik Arif, a Kazakhstan-born former Soviet official. Trump reportedly puts Felix Sater"}}">reportedly puts Felix Sater, a Russian-born convicted felon with Mafia ties who now lives in the U.S., in charge of the project.

Two of Trump’s children, Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka, visit Moscow to meet with potential business partners. Sater claims Trump asked him to accompany"}}">asked him to accompany his children on the trip from New York to Russia, but the Trump Organization later said it was a coincidence that they were in Russia at the same time.

Over the next decade"}}">decade and beyond"}}">beyond, Trump attempts to distance himself from Sater, despite documents suggesting"}}">documents suggesting he played a substantial role at Trump Tower, including serving as a “senior adviser” to Trump.

Steve Carrera / Reuters
Donald Trump Jr., with his father and sister Ivanka, speaks to the press in Chicago on May 10, 2006, about plans for a Trump hotel and tower in Chicago. Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka traveled to Moscow in 2006 to meet with potential business partners.
Oct. 15 ― Trump praises Russian President Vladimir Putin in an interview with Larry King"}}">interview with Larry King.

“Look at Putin ― what he’s doing with Russia ― I mean, you know, what’s going on over there. I mean this guy has done ― whether you like him or don’t like him ― he’s doing a great job … in rebuilding the image of Russia and also rebuilding Russia period. Forget about image.”

Weeks before Trump’s comments, Putin had made a controversial play to maintain power by becoming Russia’s prime minister after serving two terms as president. He was elected president again in 2012.

In July ― Trump sells a Palm Beach, Florida, estate to Russian oligarch Dmitry Rybolovlev for nearly $100 million. Trump had purchased in 2004 for less than half of that at a bankruptcy auction.

Sept. 15 ― Donald Trump Jr. tells a travel industry publication"}}">tells a travel industry publication that his organization has significant financial ties to Russia, which had led him to make at least a half-dozen trips there over the preceding 18 months.

“In terms of high-end product influx into the U.S., Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets,” he says. “We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia. There’s indeed a lot of money coming for new-builds and resale reflecting a trend in the Russian economy and, of course, the weak dollar versus the ruble.”

But Trump’s son admits it’s been hard for them to get a foothold in the Russian market.

“As much as we want to take our business over there, Russia is just a different world,” he says. “t is a question of who knows who, whose brother is paying off who, etc. … It really is a scary place.”

Oct. 26 ― Julian Assange of WikiLeaks teases a large-scale document dump"}}">teases a large-scale document dump supposedly detailing the shadowy inner workings of the Russian government. The release never happens.

Dec. 12 ― During an impromptu chat with Brian Kilmeade of Fox News, Trump calls WikiLeaks “disgraceful”"}}">calls WikiLeaks “disgraceful” and suggests there should be a “death penalty or something” for the perpetrators.

“Putin has big plans for Russia. He wants to edge out its neighbors so that Russia can dominate oil supplies to all of Europe. Putin has also announced his grand vision: the creation of a ‘Eurasian Union’ made up of former Soviet nations that can dominate the region. I respect Putin and the Russians but cannot believe our leader allows them to get away with so much...Hats off to the Russians...[President Barack] Obama’s plan to have Russia stand up to Iran was a horrible failure that turned America into a laughingstock.”

In August ― The editor-in-chief of the Kremlin-backed RT network reportedly visits Assange at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, according to a report later released by U.S. intelligence agencies.

“They discussed renewing his broadcast contract with RT, according to Russian and Western media,” the 2017 report states. “Russian media subsequently announced that RT had become ‘the only Russian media company’ to partner with WikiLeaks and had received access to ‘new leaks of secret information.’ RT routinely gives Assange sympathetic coverage and provides him a platform to denounce the United States.”

Oct. 17 ― Trump tells late-night talk show host David Letterman that he has “a lot of business with the Russians.” He responds to Letterman’s quip about Russians being “commies” by calling them “smart” and “tough.” Trump says he had met Putin “once.”

Nov. 10 ― Trump returns from the Miss Universe Pageant, which was apparently an eye-opening trip.

In February ― Troops aligned with Russia begin to invade and seize control of the Crimean peninsula in Ukraine.

March 17 ― After Putin officially annexes Crimea, Obama’s administration imposes personal sanctions on Russian officials for facilitating the incursion. Targeted individuals are banned from traveling to the U.S., and their U.S.-based financial assets are frozen.

Throughout 2014 ― Trump grants interviews to biographer Michael D’Antonio, who would go on to write The Truth About Trump. Trump brags about courting Russian clients to buy real estate at his properties in the U.S.

“I know the Russians better than anybody,” Trump tells D’Antonio, according to transcripts the author later provided to The New York Times.

Feb. 25 ― Trump tells conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt he’ll release his tax returns"}}">he’ll release his tax returns if he decides to run for president.

“I would certainly show tax returns if it was necessary,” he says. “I have no objection to certainly showing tax returns.”

Trump never makes this disclosure, which experts say"}}">experts say would provide some clarity about the nature of his dealings in Russia.

July 20 ― Trump predicts"}}">predicts that he’d “get along very well with” Putin. Trump also notes that he’d had “major business” in Russia in the past and claims he’d “had a great relationship with the people of Russia.”

Sept. 20 ― Trump says he’s open to meeting"}}">open to meeting with Putin at the United Nations General Assembly. A few days earlier, the Trump Organization’s vice president, Michael Cohen, said it was a “better than likely chance” the two men would convene. A meeting is never confirmed.

Sept. 21 ― Trump describes his 2013 visit to Moscow"}}">describes his 2013 visit to Moscow in an interview with Hugh Hewitt.

“I was with the top-level people, both oligarchs and generals, and top-of-the-government people,” Trump says. “I can’t go further than that, but I will tell you that I met the top people, and the relationship was extraordinary. And we just don’t have relationships in this country. You know, relationship is very important, whether it’s congressmen or whether it’s senators, or, you know, whatever it may be. Relationship is a very important element, and we don’t have it in this country anymore.”

Sept. 29 ― Trump offers kind words to Putin"}}">offers kind words to Putin, telling Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly that the Russian president “is a nicer person than I am.”

“I will tell you that, in terms of leadership, he’s getting an A and our president is not doing so well,” he says.

Oct. 11 ― Trump continues to portray himself as a friend and acquaintance of Putin.

“I think the biggest thing we have is that we were on ‘60 Minutes’ together and we had fantastic ratings. One of your best-rated shows in a long time,” he jokes on CBS. “So that was good, right? So we were stable mates.”

Nov. 10 ― Trump repeats his claim about Putin and “60 Minutes” at a GOP debate but later clarifies that they never actually met during the taping of the show. Over the next few months, the Trump-Putin bromance continues to blossom, with both men regularly complimenting each other in public comments and appearances.

Dec. 10 ― Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, attends a high-profile gala"}}">attends a high-profile gala in Moscow hosted by RT. He’s reportedly paid $40,000 for the appearance, at which he sits near Putin.

Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, left, sits with Russian President Vladimir Putin at an exhibition marking the 10th anniversary of the RT television channel in Moscow on Dec. 10, 2015.
Feb. 9 ― Rex Tillerson, then-CEO of Exxon Mobil, in a speech"}}">in a speech at the University of Texas at Austin, says he has “a very close relationship” with Putin. Less than a year later, Tillerson is confirmed as Trump’s secretary of state.

March 21 ― Trump names Carter Page"}}">names Carter Page as a member of his campaign’s foreign policy team. Page is a former investment banker once based in Moscow and reportedly has ties to Russian energy magnates.

March 28 ― Trump brings on Paul Manafort as campaign manager to help him wrangle delegates in the GOP primary. Manafort had most recently served for more than a decade as senior adviser to former Ukrainian President Viktor F. Yanukovych, a Putin sympathizer who was ousted in 2014 and fled to Russia.

In April ― Manafort reportedly meets"}}">reportedly meets with Konstantin Kilimnik, a joint Russian-Ukrainian citizen who formerly worked as Manafort’s staffer in Washington, D.C. Kilimnik has suspected ties"}}">suspected ties to Russian intelligence officials.

April 27 ― Trump meets Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak before a foreign policy speech in Washington, D.C. Organizers claim the conversation between the two men was brief"}}">the conversation between the two men was brief and perhaps little more than a greeting. Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), then a Trump campaign surrogate, reportedly also crosses paths with Kislyak"}}">crosses paths with Kislyak, though it’s unclear if they speak directly.

June 15 ― A hacker or hacker collective known as Guccifer 2.0 releases the first round of documents stolen from the Democratic National Committee. U.S. intelligence agencies later conclude that Russian-directed hackers are behind Guccifer’s actions.

July 7 ― Page delivers a speech at Moscow’s New Economic School criticizing U.S. policy toward Russia as reminiscent of Cold War tactics. He accuses the West of having a “hypocritical focus on ideas such as democratization, inequality, corruption and regime change.” The Trump campaign reportedly approves the trip"}}">reportedly approves the trip, which Page says he took as a private citizen.

An explosive, though unverified, intelligence dossier later claims that during the trip Igor Sechin, CEO of Rosneft, Russia’s state oil company, offers Page and associates a 19 percent stake in the company if he could help lift U.S. sanctions on Russia.

Pushing back against reports"}}">reports that he met with Putin confidants Sechin and Igor Diveykin, the Kremlin’s deputy chief of internal policy, Page says he had no contact with “sanctioned individuals.” He also denies discussing lifting economic sanctions or any further cooperation between the Russian government and the Trump campaign.

Carter Page, a member of the Trump campaign’s foreign policy team, delivers a speech in Moscow in 2016 in which he criticizes U.S. policy toward Russia.
July 18 ― Delegates at the Republican National Convenction adopt a party platform with wording supporting Ukraine’s sovereignty. Trump staffers reportedly work behind the scenes"}}">reportedly work behind the scenes to water down language that had called for “providing lethal defensive weapons” to Ukrainians and instead offer an amendment calling for the granting of “appropriate assistance.”

Trump national security adviser J.D. Gordon later says he advocated"}}">says he advocated for the softer platform language, which he says was consistent with Trump’s views on the matter.

July 20 ― Trump national security advisers Gordon, Page and Walid Phares reportedly attend a diplomacy event during the Republican National Committee in Cleveland. Kislyak is also present, along with other diplomats. Gordon and Page later admit to meeting with Kislyak, though they deny engaging in any inappropriate conversation on behalf of the Trump campaign. Phares later denies having partaken in the meeting with Kislyak.

Sessions speaks individually"}}">speaks individually with Kislyak at the same event. Sessions later claims he attended the event as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, not as a surrogate for the Trump campaign. But a later report finds Sessions spoke about the Trump campaign during his appearance. He also paid for the trip with political funds, not official congressional funding.

July 26 ― U.S. intelligence agencies reportedly tell the White House they have “high confidence” that the Russian government is responsible for the DNC hack.

July 27 ― Trump and his campaign team push back against claims Russia is trying to help him get elected.

“I don’t know anything about it,” he tells CBS Miami"}}">tells CBS Miami. “I can tell you, I think if I came up with that, they’d say, ‘Oh, it’s a conspiracy theory,’ it’s ridiculous. I mean I have nothing to do with Russia. I don’t have any jobs in Russia. I’m all over the world, but we’re not involved in Russia.”

Manafort later gives an interview to CBS in which he defends Trump’s claims that he has no ties to Russia.

“That’s what he said,” says Manafort. “That’s what ... that’s obviously what our position is.”

July 27 ― Trump holds a news conference, where he appears to make light of reports of Russian hacking by directly asking the Russians to track down additional Hillary Clinton emails.

“I will tell you this, Russia: If you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Trump says. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

Roger Stone, a renowned political provocateur, longtime Trump confidant and former adviser to Trump’s campaign, later says Russia would indeed have reason to hack Democratic presidential rival Clinton’s email.

July 31 ― In separate interviews, Trump"}}">Trump and Manafort"}}">Manafort both deny they were behind efforts to draft more Russia-friendly GOP platform language.

In August ― Manafort reportedly meets"}}">reportedly meets with Kilimnik again. This time, his trip reportedly attracts the attention of U.S. investigators. Kilimnik reportedly claims he partook in the effort to soften GOP platform language toward Ukraine.

Aug. 5 ― Assange claims WikiLeaks"}}">claims WikiLeaks is “working on” obtaining Trump’s tax returns. The organization later walks back that claim, calling it a joke.

Stone publishes a column in Breitbart News"}}">column in Breitbart News that accuses Clinton of manufacturing links between Russia and recent hacks.

Aug. 8 ― Stone claims to have communicated with Assange"}}">claims to have communicated with Assange.

“I actually have communicated with Assange,” he said. “I believe the next tranche of his documents pertain to the Clinton Foundation, but there’s no telling what the October surprise may be.”

Aug. 14 ― The New York Times reports"}}">reports that Manafort’s name was listed on a secret payment ledger from Yanukovych’s political party. The document shows more than $12 million earmarked for Manafort, though his lawyer denies that the payments were ever made.

That same day, Stone engages in a brief conversation"}}">engages in a brief conversation with the official Twitter account of Guccifer 2.0. Stone later admits to the exchange"}}">admits to the exchange but calls it “completely innocuous and perfunctory.”

Aug. 21 ― Stone predicts trouble for Clinton campaign manager John Podesta. Podesta’s email had already been hacked at the time, though WikiLeaks doesn’t release the messages until October.

Sept. 1 ― Obama’s Treasury Department announces new sanctions against Russia related to Putin’s meddling in Ukraine.

Sept. 5 ― Obama and Putin have a tense, lengthy discussion about a potential cease-fire in Syria. Putin publicly calls on Obama to lift recent sanctions. Obama later says the two men directly discussed, seemingly for the first time, reports of Russian hacking targeting Democratic Party officials. Obama says that he told Putin to “cut it out.”

Sept. 7 ― Defense Secretary Ash Carter accuses Russia of sowing seeds of global instability and questions if Moscow is genuinely interested in finding an agreement on a cease-fire in Syria.

Trump later praises Putin on national TV. “[Putin] has very strong control over a country,” he says during NBC’s commander-in-chief forum with Clinton in New York. “Now, it’s a very different system, and I don’t happen to like that system. But certainly in that system he’s been a leader far more than our president has been a leader.”

Trump’s vice presidential pick, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, later agrees with Trump’s assessment of Putin’s strength as a leader. “I think it’s inarguable that Vladimir Putin has been a stronger leader in his country than Barack Obama has been in this country,” he tells CNN. “And that’s going to change the day that Donald Trump becomes president.”

The same day, Trump goes on RT, where he tells host Larry King that it was “probably unlikely” Russia was trying to interfere in the election. Democrats “are putting that out,” Trump claims.

Sept. 9 ― Secretary of State John F. Kerry meets with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Geneva. They reach an agreement on a renewal of a cease-fire in Syria.

Sept. 26 ― Page announces he’s taking a leave of absence"}}">taking a leave of absence from the Trump campaign amid controversy surrounding his Russian ties.

Later that day, Trump uses the hacked DNC emails to attack Clinton at the first presidential debate. But he also pushes back against claims Russia is involved in the hacks.

“She’s saying Russia, Russia, Russia, but I don’t — maybe it was. I mean, it could be Russia, but it could also be China. It could also be lots of other people. It also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds, OK? You don’t know who broke into DNC.”

Oct. 7 ― WikiLeaks releases Podesta’s stolen emails. The dump comes hours after a 2005 recording surfaced of Trump making vulgar comments and bragging about sexually assaulting women.

Oct. 9 ― Trump and Clinton get into a heated exchange about WikiLeaks during the second presidential debate. Trump insists that Russia has nothing to do with it.

“She doesn’t know if it’s the Russians doing the hacking,” Trump says. “Maybe there is no hacking. But they always blame Russia. And the reason they blame Russia because they think they’re trying to tarnish me with Russia. I know nothing about Russia. I know — I know about Russia, but I know nothing about the inner workings of Russia. I don’t deal there. I have no businesses there. I have no loans from Russia.”

Oct. 10 ― Trump reads from leaked Clinton campaign emails at a campaign rally in Pennsylvania.

Peter Nicholls / Reuters
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange draws praise from Trump after hacked Democratic campaign emails are released.
Oct. 11 ― Donald Trump Jr. delivers a paid speech at a Paris event hosted by allies of the Russian government who supported the Kremlin’s approach to the Syrian conflict. Trump’s appearance reportedly nets him at least $50,000"}}">reportedly nets him at least $50,000.

Oct. 12 ― Stone admits to having contact with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange over hacked emails regarding the Clinton campaign.

“I do have a back-channel communication with Assange, because we have a good mutual friend,” Stone tells CBS Miami"}}">CBS Miami. “That friend travels back and forth from the United States to London and we talk. I had dinner with him last Monday.”

Stone says this communication doesn’t involve any advance notice about the release of the stolen emails or their content. He also denies"}}">denies that WikiLeaks is linked to the Russians.

Political adviser Roger Stone boasts of his connections to the founder of WikiLeaks in October.
Oct. 30 ― A jetliner owned by Rybolovlev, the Russian oligarch who paid Trump nearly $100 million for a Florida property in 2008, lands in Las Vegas, where Trump is campaigning. Days later, the same plane lands in Charlotte, North Carolina, around the time of Trump’s arrival at that airport. Both trips appear to be unusual for Rybolovlev’s aircraft. The White House later says nobody on the campaign was aware of this overlap and dismisses the timing of the trips as coincidence.

“For a press corps so obsessed with evidence, proof and feigning a general disgust at even the hint of conspiracy, this is pretty rich,” a Trump spokesman tells Business Insider"}}">tells Business Insider in March 2017.

Dec. 8 ― Page returns to Russia"}}">returns to Russia, where he claims to be huddling with “business leaders and thought leaders.

Dec. 12 ― During a presentation in Moscow"}}">presentation in Moscow, Page says he met with an “executive from Rosneft” to discuss sanctions. Page says he has no role in the Trump administration.

Mid-to-late December ― Flynn and Jared Kushner, a senior adviser to Trump and the president’s son-in-law, meet with Kislyak at Trump Tower"}}">meet with Kislyak at Trump Tower. Trump campaign officials claim they engaged in a general conversation, with the goal of “establish[ing] a line of communication” between the incoming administration and the Russian government.

Dec. 26 ― Moscow police find Oleg Erovinkin, a former KGB official linked to the dossier on Trump’s supposed ties to Russia, dead in the back seat of his car. Reports of his death don’t surface until a month later, fueling conspiracy theories revolving around a string of other Russian diplomats"}}">string of other Russian diplomats, including U.N. Ambassador Vitaly Churkin, who have died since November. Officials have not officially given a cause of death for Erovinkin, though local reports claimed it was a result of foul play.

Dec. 29 ― Flynn has multiple phone conversations with Kislyak to discuss sanctions handed down by Obama earlier in the day, which included the expulsion of suspected Russian intelligence operatives in response to meddling in the U.S. presidential election. Officials later say a review of the transcript"}}">review of the transcript didn’t reveal any criminal wrongdoing by Flynn.

Thomas Peter/Reuters
Meetings with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak appear to slip Sen. Jeff Sessions’ mind during his Senate hearings.
Dec. 30 ― Trump applauds Putin’s decision not to retaliate against the Obama administration’s sanctions, overturning an earlier plan by Russia’s foreign minister to expel U.S. diplomatic staff from Moscow.

Jan. 6 ― U.S. intelligence agencies release an unclassified report"}}">release an unclassified report concluding that Putin directed efforts to intervene in the U.S. presidential election with the goal of helping Trump win. The authors of the report argue that Russian spies hacked into DNC servers in July 2015 and maintained access for more than a year. They claim a Russian hacking agency “relayed material it acquired from the DNC and senior Democratic officials to WikiLeaks.”

Jan. 7 ― After denying Russia played a role in hacking or affected November’s elections results, Trump doubles down on insisting that his only goal is to improve U.S. relations with Russia.

Jan. 10 ― In sworn testimony during his confirmation hearing for attorney general, Sessions fails to disclose his meetings with Kislyak.

“I’m not aware of those activities,” Sessions tells Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) of reports of contacts between Trump campaign officials and the Russian envoy. “I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign, and I did not have communications with the Russians.”

Later that day, CNN and BuzzFeed publish reports on an unverified dossier compiled by former British intelligence agent Christopher Steele. The document contains provocative claims that people in Trump’s campaign were actively involved with Russian efforts to meddle in the election.

Jan. 11 ― Trump assails intelligence agencies on Twitter"}}">assails intelligence agencies on Twitter and accuses them of pushing a “fake” story about his campaign’s ties to Russia. He goes on to liken their alleged efforts to “Nazi Germany.”

“I have no dealings with Russia,” he says at a news conference. “I have no deals that could happen in Russia, because we’ve stayed away. And I have no loans with Russia.”

Jan. 19 ― Manafort, Page and Stone are named in a New York Times report as targets of an investigation by U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies into the campaign’s ties with Russia.

Donald Trump is inaugurated the day after three of his former aides are reported to be targets of an investigation into Russian ties.
Feb. 6 ― Michael Cohen, vice president of the Trump Organization and Trump’s personal lawyer, delivers Flynn a proposal"}}">delivers Flynn a proposal to lift U.S. sanctions on Russia and broker peace in Crimea. Felix Sater, who had previously pursued business in Moscow on Trump’s behalf, is also a party to the deal. The plan is reportedly crafted through back-channel communications and does not have official backing.

Feb. 8 ― Sessions wins Senate confirmation in a 52-47 vote, mostly along party lines.

Feb. 9 ― The Washington Post reports"}}">Washington Post reports that Flynn discussed U.S. sanctions against Russia in his previous conversations with Kislyak.

Feb. 14 ― The New York Times, citing “four current and former American officials,” reports"}}">reports that members of Trump’s campaign and other associates “had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the election.”

Feb. 15 ― CNN, citing anonymous U.S. officials, reports"}}">reports that “high-level advisers close to then-presidential nominee Donald Trump were in constant communication during the campaign with Russians known to US intelligence.”

Feb. 16 ― Trump dismisses recent reports about his campaign’s contact with Russia as “fake news” and “a ruse.”

Stone denies having contact"}}">denies having contact with anyone from Russia or their intermediaries during the presidential campaign.

March 2 ― Sessions announces he will recuse himself from any Justice Department investigation into the Trump campaign’s potential ties to Russia, following reports that he’d failed to disclose meetings with Kislyak during his confirmation hearing.

Yuri Gripas / Reuters
U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions announces that he will recuse himself from any Justice Department investigation into Trump campaign contacts with Russia.
March 4 ― In a string of early-morning tweets, Trump accuses Obama of tapping his phones at Trump Tower the month before the election. The allegations, made with no substantiation, spark further questions about whether the president is among the targets of the Trump-Russia investigation.

March 5 ― Stone deletes tweet about his “back-channel communication” with Assange. He later speaks about the “mutual friend” with links to WikiLeaks but again denies that Assange is cooperating with the Russians.

March 9 ― White House press secretary Sean Spicer says Trump is not one of the targets of an investigation into the campaign’s Russia ties, after first appearing to suggest it was a possibility.

March 20 ― FBI Director James Comey appears at a House Intelligence Committee hearing, where he confirms that intelligence and law enforcement agencies are still investigating potential collusion between Trump’s campaign and Russia. Comey also directly refutes Trump’s wiretapping claim, saying he has no information to support the president’s allegations.

We’ll be updating this story as we get additional information. If you believe there’s an additional relevant date worth including on this timeline, please email it to scoop@huffingtonpost.com.

Suggest a correction

Nick Wing
Senior Viral Editor, The Huffington Post
MORE:
We should be making it easier for people to vote, not harder. That's why voter registration should be automatic for every eligible citizen.

blob

This petition is hosted by The Action Network. By adding your name, you are sharing your information with The Action Network, whose Privacy Policy (https://actionnetwork.org/privacy) applies.

Petition by

Northbrook, Illinois
Sign This Petition
Not in the US?

• You may receive updates from Progressive Turnout Project, the creator of this petition.

by Taboola
Sponsored Links

You May Like5 Years From Now, You’ll Probably Wish You Grabbed These StocksThe Motley FoolOak Ridge, Tennessee: This Brilliant Company Is Disrupting a $200 Billion IndustryProvide Savings Insurance QuotesHiring a Handyman: The Best Solution for Your Small Home RepairsHomeAdvisorOak Ridge: This Meal Service is Cheaper Than Your Local StoreHome ChefThe amazing VA benefits not enough vets are claiming in TennesseeLendingTree Mortgage QuotesWondering which applications to move to the cloud?Microsoft

CONVERSATIONS
TRENDING

Reese Witherspoon Shows What Happens When You Give Your Kid A Hard-To-Spell Name

LendingTree

Newsletter

SUGGESTED FOR YOU

WHAT’S HOT

http://grvrdr.huffingtonpost.com/30...1wJVBfATAF8rrqsewKUACgCSpOcgx9TY36u5volS2fznw

Ooooo, I like this one better in the list of associated articles.

Link

Nicely done RPJ.

So now tell us, what is the crime committed?

What was illegal?

Any of that?

Cite it for us, or tell us which activity is a violation of any Law?

Ask the FBI

I was asking you since you're the "expert" RPJ. The FBI hasn't specified what if any criminal investigations they are conducting of the Trump administration. Do you know something they don't?

The Senate intelligence committee has said the Trump administration was at least "under surveillance", but it wasn't for any "collusion" with Russians as your post suggests.

In fact, the Senate committee would like to know exactly why the Trump administration was "under surveillance" and who ordered it? Neither they, nor the FBI has indicated any nefarious meetings with the Russians or accused anyone in the administration with any criminal activity.

So maybe you can tell us what was the snooping on Trump for, and who was doing it?

Why don't you link us to some more "facts" on this case RPJ?

People don't lie about and try to hide sound, legal and ethical meetings and relationships.
That is right up there with all the other dumbest fuking things ever that you have stated. People lie about and hide meetings and relationships all the time for very good sound reasons.

Wow, lots there. But Trump said he doesn't know any Russians.

I read somewhere he knows lots of Chinese, Indians, Swiss, Brits, French, Turks, Arabs, Germans, Mexicans, Cantonese, and even some ancient South Brazilian Amazon Forrest tree climbing Aborigines!

So what? Where's the criminal activity here? What's the crime? What Laws were broken with these normal business meetings?

Guess who DIDN'T go to jail over this ?

Hillary Helps a Bank—and Then It Funnels Millions to the Clintons
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...pays-bill-15-million-in-speaking-fees/400067/

The Swiss bank UBS is one of the biggest, most powerful financial institutions in the world. As secretary of state, Hillary Clinton intervened to help it out with the IRS. And after that, the Swiss bank paid Bill Clinton $1.5 million for speaking gigs. The Wall Street Journal reported all that and more Thursday in an article that highlights huge conflicts of interest that the Clintons have created in the recent past.

The piece begins by detailing how Clinton helped the global bank.

“A few weeks after Hillary Clinton was sworn in as secretary of state in early 2009, she was summoned to Geneva by her Swiss counterpart to discuss an urgent matter. The Internal Revenue Service was suing UBS AG to get the identities of Americans with secret accounts,” the newspaper reports. “If the case proceeded, Switzerland’s largest bank would face an impossible choice: Violate Swiss secrecy laws by handing over the names, or refuse and face criminal charges in U.S. federal court. Within months, Mrs. Clinton announced a tentative legal settlement—an unusual intervention by the top U.S. diplomat. UBS ultimately turned over information on 4,450 accounts, a fraction of the 52,000 sought by the IRS.”

Then reporters James V. Grimaldi and Rebecca Ballhaus lay out how UBS helped the Clintons. “Total donations by UBS to the Clinton Foundation grew from less than $60,000 through 2008 to a cumulative total of about $600,000 by the end of 2014, according to the foundation and the bank,” they report. “The bank also joined the Clinton Foundation to launch entrepreneurship and inner-city loan programs, through which it lent $32 million. And it paid former president Bill Clinton $1.5 million to participate in a series of question-and-answer sessions with UBS Wealth Management Chief Executive Bob McCann, making UBS his biggest single corporate source of speech income disclosed since he left the White House.”

The article adds that “there is no evidence of any link between Mrs. Clinton’s involvement in the case and the bank’s donations to the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation, or its hiring of Mr. Clinton.” Maybe it’s all a mere coincidence, and when UBS agreed to pay Bill Clinton $1.5 million the relevant decision-maker wasn’t even aware of the vast sum his wife may have saved the bank or the power that she will potentially wield after the 2016 presidential election.

But even that wouldn’t make accepting the $1.5 million excusable.

If you’re Bill Clinton and your wife has recently intervened, in her capacity as a cabinet secretary, to help a giant corporation avert a significant threat to its bottom-line, the very least you could do, if only to avoid the appearance of impropriety, is to avoid negotiating seven-figure paydays with that same corporation. This is particularly jaw-dropping because ultra-wealthy Bill Clinton has virtually unlimited opportunities to give lucrative speeches to any number of audiences not directly implicated by decisions that his wife made as secretary of state.

But maximizing the Clinton family’s wealth and power requires him to speak before the very wealthiest paymasters. And that’s exactly what the ex-president has done.

As McClatchy noted last month in a more broadly focused article that also mentions UBS, “Ten of the world’s biggest financial institutions––including UBS, Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup and Goldman Sachs––have hired Bill Clinton numerous times since 2004 to speak for fees totaling more than $6.4 million. Hillary Clinton also has accepted speaking fees from at least one bank. And along with an 11th bank, the French giant BNP Paribas, the financial goliaths also donated as much as $24.9 million to the Clinton Foundation––the family’s global charity set up to tackle causes from the AIDS epidemic in Africa to climate change.”

One needn’t believe that there’s ever been any quid pro quo to see that this matters.

“Any suggestions that Hillary Clinton was driven by anything but what’s in America’s best interest would be false. Period,” a campaign spokesman told The Guardian. Oh, come on. Clinton may well have thought that intervening on behalf of UBS was good for the U.S. There are reports that the Swiss helped our government in various ways in exchange for shielding the bank from a worst-case scenario.

But this campaign flak cannot possibly know––or expect us to take on faith––that Clinton was not at all influenced by knowledge that acting to benefit the bank could mean seven figures for her family and more for their foundation, whereas advocating against the bank would more than likely eliminate the chance of either. Any normal person would be influenced, if only in spite of themselves, unless they resolved from the beginning that having made a decision in government that directly affected a corporation, they’d never take money from it later even if it offered.

It is a discredit to Bill and Hillary Clinton that they behave as if they believe otherwise.

Why are they indulged in doing so?

Democrats are hurtling toward a farce. The coalition that insists on the corrupting effect of Citizens United and the unlimited campaign contributions it permits is poised to nominate a couple that has seen riches flow from big banks to their personal accounts.

Perhaps it would make sense for Democrats to hold their noses and elevate Hillary anyway if she were just beholden to the telecom or nuclear or airline industries, given their substantial agreements with other positions that she has taken. (Although her disastrous vote to give George W. Bush authority to invade Iraq, and the hawkish positions that she took on both Libya and Syria as secretary of state, are reminders that she is not perfectly aligned with her party’s base.) But big, politically active financial firms are, many Democrats believe, huge obstacles to tackling inequality and pursuing economic justice. (Just look at the likely effect of Clinton’s intervention on behalf of UBS: It probably helped some of the wealthiest Americans to hide taxable assets from the IRS.)

Finance is also the global industry most responsible for the financial crash of 2008. And it is the bane of Occupy, the biggest left-wing protest movement in recent memory.

How can mainstream Democratic Party beliefs about the corrupting effects of money in politics and the perniciousness of Big Finance possibly be squared with elevating as their leaders a couple as cozy with Big Finance as anyone in American politics?

Even Democrats who aren’t concerned about the agenda of Big Finance ought to ask themselves if America is best served by a president and first spouse who care so little about preserving the confidence that the public can reasonably have in the integrity of their actions. They are far from the only members of our elite who’ve put a payday ahead of the common good, but it’s hard to think of a more flagrant example.

• Angry
Reactions: atlkvb

By Nick Wing

1996-1997

Steve Carrera / Reuters

Peter Nicholls / Reuters

Thomas Peter/Reuters

Yuri Gripas / Reuters

Suggest a correction
Nick Wing Senior Viral Editor, The Huffington Post
MORE:

blob

Petition by

Northbrook, Illinois
Sign This Petition
Not in the US?

by Taboola
Sponsored Links

CONVERSATIONS

TRENDING

LendingTree

Newsletter

SUGGESTED FOR YOU

WHAT’S HOT

Guilt by association. This was the emphasis fully 5 years ago as the media was in high gear trying to link Trump to the Russians in their now debunked "collusion" story. (I love using that word the media is so fond of blurting out to disprove stories that don't fit their pre-arranged narratives)

So before the Russian collusion scam was "debunked" by the facts, the media was trying to match any meeting, any contact, any mention of Russia from Trump or his inner circle to the scam. Guilt by association. Trump had to be guilty of collusion because he certainly was meeting all the time with Russians. Read how much of this presented as "evidence" proved to be nothing more than part of the media's giant smear campaign against Trump. None of it was a violation of any law, and none of it was proven to be part Trump's plan to steal the '16 election.

https://westvirginia.forums.rivals.com/threads/everything-we-know-about-trumpland%E2%80%99s-ties-to-russia-from-start-to-finish.141612/#post-1500217

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 30CAT
Bump ....showing just how wrong Democrats was/is & most likely always will be is just so fun
I read that and thought "what a bunch of crock" they wrote what were normal meetings to make it sound like Trump was knee deep in "collusion".

See how diabolical they are? Yet they won't report one story on Hillary's meetings with Christopher Steele or all the meetings to create that fake dossier!

Like this:
(from linked article)

OK, so why was this even in the story? What was even of concern here? See what I mean? They attempted to link any close contact, any mention, any association of Trump or his associates whatsoever with anyone even tangentially connected to Russia which they eagerly then branded as "collusion". They flat out lied about the whole story and many on the Left are convinced to this day that Trump was up to no good meeting with Russians!

Unreal

Last edited:
Same morons walk around with their Ukraine flags tied to their necks hoping Putin is defeated so their favorite politician can continue to launder your tax dollars into their bank accounts.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
I think the bleaters meant to say "Everything We Wish About Trump's Ties To Russia, From Start To Finish, But Turned Out To Be Wishes Not Granted 😪😰😥"

I think the bleaters meant to say "Everything We Wish About Trump's Ties To Russia, From Start To Finish, But Turned Out To Be Wishes Not Granted 😪😰😥"
What's infuriating about the media is for all the time they took to essentially fabricate Trump's alleged clandestine ties with Russians allegedly planning to steal the election, they've never gone back and corrected their misreporting or flat out lies. They particularly have reported zero, zippo, zilch, nada on the "real" collusion, which was Hillary and her Lawyers in the DNC scheming to fabricate, coordinate, and disseminate that phony dossier with the Russians all designed to create the illusion of collusion which ultimately led to all of the illegal spying on Trump himself!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT