ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM ESPN FPI projections for West Virginia football's remaining games

8-4 season.........wouldn't have thought it before the year. After Penn State, thought 7 was a good bet, and 8 was a possibility. After the back-to-back losses, thought more like 5-6 wins was cap. I guess to summarize, it's been a WILD year of predictions. Got to love it!

I think Coach Brown has deserved some good praise, even from people (like myself) for the things being said about his job. However, it is year #5 so expectations should be demanding 8-9 wins. Thus far, I believe Brown and his staff have done an adequate job THIS YEAR. See if he can catch some momentum and lead in to next year.

8-4 season.........wouldn't have thought it before the year. After Penn State, thought 7 was a good bet, and 8 was a possibility. After the back-to-back losses, thought more like 5-6 wins was cap. I guess to summarize, it's been a WILD year of predictions. Got to love it!

I think Coach Brown has deserved some good praise, even from people (like myself) for the things being said about his job. However, it is year #5 so expectations should be demanding 8-9 wins. Thus far, I believe Brown and his staff have done an adequate job THIS YEAR. See if he can catch some momentum and lead in to next year.
Shouldnt be a problem getting 8 this year but Brown has to learn to keep the pedal to the metal because we arent alwayse going to get 4 turnovers. This offense is good, it can go. He just has to keep from backing off when we get a lead.

A lot of people set their bar at 7 wins because it would be his best season, but no way we would tolerate any other coach having his best season in 5 years be only 7 wins.

Reactions: locustwv
Shouldnt be a problem getting 8 this year but Brown has to learn to keep the pedal to the metal because we arent alwayse going to get 4 turnovers. This offense is good, it can go. He just has to keep from backing off when we get a lead.

A lot of people set their bar at 7 wins because it would be his best season, but no way we would tolerate any other coach having his best season in 5 years be only 7 wins.
I lived through the Nehlen years. I think a lot of people will attest to this, back then, the expectations were to win 7-8 games, go to a good bowl game. That was it. Rich Rod had a 3-year run where the expectations skyrocketed, probably out of reach to be honest.

This might make me a "lesser" fan, but if WVU football can go 8-4 each year on average, with the occasional 10+ win season, then I can be happy with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUALLEN and WVUBRU
I lived through the Nehlen years. I think a lot of people will attest to this, back then, the expectations were to win 7-8 games, go to a good bowl game. That was it. Rich Rod had a 3-year run where the expectations skyrocketed, probably out of reach to be honest.

This might make me a "lesser" fan, but if WVU football can go 8-4 each year on average, with the occasional 10+ win season, then I can be happy with that.
Doesn't make you a lesser fan. Makes you a real fan with realistic hope and wanting as much as possible. Expecting 11-12 wins every year and then throwing the program under the bus makes one a lesser fan. Of course, that is my perspective.

Reactions: WVUALLEN

Yeah well brown hasnt even got wvu a 7 win season, and the only reason it looks like he will this year is becsuse of a weak schedule. I lived through those years too and i get it but we know more is reality.

Holgerson was giving us more than 7 regularly. He was a better coach. His last 4 seasons only had one season that reached as low as 7 wins. With OU and Tx leaving, wvu should be good enough to compete for a b12 title every year. No reason to settle for less, unless you are Bru/Vga and have a love crush on Brown of course. But 7 wins is not good enough, at all. Nope.

Nehlen coached in a very different time. By the end of his career the game was changing around him. Rich Rod elevated the team and made people realize more than 7 wins was possible for WVU. Bcs bowls were possible. Rich was a better coach here than any of them. Sucks he left how he did but I've been over it for years.

Last edited:
Doesn't make you a lesser fan. Makes you a real fan with realistic hope and wanting as much as possible. Expecting 11-12 wins every year and then throwing the program under the bus makes one a lesser fan. Of course, that is my perspective.
11 - 12 lol? Drama queen VGA will be butthurt forever. You'd settle for 5-6 wins if the coach was a boyscout. Real fan...

Yeah well brown hasnt even got wvu a 7 win season, and the only reason it looks like he will this year is becsuse of a weak schedule. I lived through those years too and i get it but we know more is reality.

Holgerson was giving us more than 7 regularly. He was a better coach. His last 4 seasons only had one season that reached as low as 7 wins. With OU and Tx leaving, wvu should be good enough to compete for a b12 title every year. No reason to settle for less.

Nehlen coached in a very different time. By the end of his career the game was changing around him. Rich Rod elevated the team and made people realize more than 7 wins was possible for WVU. Bcs bowls were possible. Rich was a better coach here than any of them. Sucks he left how he did but I've been over it for years.
Nehlen and Rich Rod also coached in a weaker conference. Nehlen's schedules were notoriously weak. Cupcake city.

Nehlen and Rich Rod also coached in a weaker conference. Nehlen's schedules were notoriously weak. Cupcake city.
Georgia Schedule strength is 100 and have only 2 wins against FBS teams with winning records. Michigan is even worse at 111. Yet they are ranked #2 and #3 in CFP Polls.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Nehlen coached against PSU, VT and Miami when they were championship caliber teams. We dont have anyone in the Little 12 as good as those teams, or even close. This conference is the most overrated I've ever seen. Those who think otherwise are kidding themselves, imo. RR's Big East was closer to the Little 12 that we have now.

Nehlen coached against PSU, VT and Miami when they were championship caliber teams. We dont have anyone in the Little 12 as good as those teams, or even close. This conference is the most overrated I've ever seen. Those who think otherwise are kidding themselves, imo. RR's Big East was closer to the Little 12 that we have now.
Yes, we do. Top to bottom, the current Big 12 is much stronger than anything the Big East could offer.

Georgia Schedule strength is 100 and have only 2 wins against FBS teams with winning records. Michigan is even worse at 111. Yet they are ranked #2 and #3 in CFP Polls.
Where are you getting these at? I looked it up:

Georgia #37
Michigan #51

You do realize that "Georgia" isn't "Georgia Southern" and "Michigan" isn't "Central Michigan"........right?

Where are you getting these at? I looked it up:

Georgia #37
Michigan #51

You do realize that "Georgia" isn't "Georgia Southern" and "Michigan" isn't "Central Michigan"........right?
You do realize there is more than 1 SOS poll and everyone of those polls are different and rated different ways...right. DUMBASS.

Just read it yesterday on CFP Polls from ESPN. That's why it said CFP.

That's why Michigan comes in at number three. Their strength of schedule is absolutely awful, it's 111th. But their game control in that process is number one. What's that tell you? It tells you they've absolutely demolished the bad teams they've faced.

Georgia can't say the same. Georgia's strength of schedule is virtually the same. It's number 100. But their game control has been absolutely less. Their game control is number nine right now. That shows you Georgia hasn't been as dominant in those games.

Here's another from Yahoo sports...

Here's another from Power Rankings GURU

Here's another from sports betting

And another...

Last edited:
You do realize there is more than 1 SOS poll and everyone of those polls are different and rated different ways...right. DUMBASS.

Just read it yesterday on CFP Polls from ESPN. That's why it said CFP.

That's why Michigan comes in at number three. Their strength of schedule is absolutely awful, it's 111th. But their game control in that process is number one. What's that tell you? It tells you they've absolutely demolished the bad teams they've faced.

Georgia can't say the same. Georgia's strength of schedule is virtually the same. It's number 100. But their game control has been absolutely less. Their game control is number nine right now. That shows you Georgia hasn't been as dominant in those games.

Here's another from Yahoo sports...

Here's another from Power Rankings GURU

Here's another from sports betting

And another...
So.....you cherrypicked? You should look at the links first.

:joy:

Yes, we do. Top to bottom, the current Big 12 is much stronger than anything the Big East could offer.
Its all a matter of opinion, but I don't think any B12 team since we've been in it could beat the old Miami teams or even some of the VT teams, or for that matter, the WVU team that beat OU in a bcs bowl. The b12 is overrated these days if you ask me, and it's about to get worse with the two top teams leaving.

As with all generations, players are bigger, stronger, faster, more talented than previous. Teams are less experienced as the changes in NFL drafting players after 3 years have impacted the ability of having groups of players understanding the direction of their coaches and executing game plans. There will always be very strong teams that dominate their schedules. Projecting past teams greater than current, that is tough.

As with all generations, players are bigger, stronger, faster, more talented than previous. Teams are less experienced as the changes in NFL drafting players after 3 years have impacted the ability of having groups of players understanding the direction of their coaches and executing game plans. There will always be very strong teams that dominate their schedules. Projecting past teams greater than current, that is tough.
The fastest player in NFL history is still Bob Hayes, from 1965. Followed by guys like Bo Jackson and Darrell Green, Deon Sanders and Ike Taylor. Your statement on that has no truth or validity to it. Stronger isnt really true either from what I've seen. I would say the players from previous generations were much tougher mentally and physically than they are now tbh. But beyond that, the B12 specifically, is much weaker today than it used to be. OU and TX arent nearly as good as they used to be. They lack toughness among other things. The B12 is a bunch of air raid garbage where teams forgot how to build a D. B12 has been trending down for a long time. Jimmy Johnson's Miami teams would eat OU and TX for lunch. The B12 of today reminds me of the Big East's last few years.....

Last edited:
When the majority of your links go against your statement, don’t think you can claim you are right.
ESPN most accurate according to many is the most accurate. My statement was many different polls done with many different formulas. I am right again and you are wrong as usual.

ESPN most accurate according to many is the most accurate. My statement was many different polls done with many different formulas. I am right again and you are wrong as usual.
ESPN most accurate "according to many"? Ok, who are those "many" that say that? You are so full of it. Just admit it and move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT