ADVERTISEMENT

Count me in the don't want to play Pitt

WVU has dominated Pitt since 1983 (16-9-1). The Panthers built up a lead in the pre-historic era but it has narrowed to a 61-40-3 advantage. The 15-game Pitt winning streak from 1929-46 put the numbers out of whack. WVU is 7-3 in the last 10 meetings, further reducing Pitt's edge.

When it comes to attendance, WVU is the winner by a mile. There are more Mountaineer fans in Ketchup Stadium than Panther fans when they play there.

I still want the series to resume, because it does more for WVU than playing Maryland, and Mountaineer fans, who can't travel 830 to 1,300 miles to Big 12 road games, have a home game every year, whether it's in Mountaineer Field or Ketchup Field.

WVU can play Pitt and still play the Alabamas, BYUs, Virginia Techs, Penn States, because Pitt would be the medium test when the others are the tough test. Then a payday game against somebody like Indiana or Wake Forest would be good for an easy W and yet against a Power 5 team. Pitt, Big Boys and P5 weakling would give WVU a 3-0 or 2-1 start before the Big 12 schedule, with no Libertys or James Madisons to reduce WVU's national playoff title chances, if it EVER gets to that scenario.

Crowd. I know we have played them for decades. But they just aren't a very good program any more. Beating them is just not a big deal. They gain way more from winning this game than we do. They just aren't on our level.

We don't need Pitt......they need us. The game would most likely be played before the conference schedule kicks in, in warm weather when we could sell out Mountaineer Field if we played the Sisters of the Poor. On the other hand, Pitt can only fill Steeler Stadium if it's us or Notre Dame playing there. The only way I'd be interested in seeing the Backyard Brawl revived would be if Pitt would agree to play on our home field every single year, no exceptions.

Odd....many posters mention Bobby Bowden when referring to our multiple head coaching 'situations'....

....yet the rivalry with Pitt is suddenly just 'old news' ? ...not to Bobby who often mentions blowing that 35-8 halftime lead in '70.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT