ADVERTISEMENT

brisket ?

stevek01

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2010
Who as a good brisket rub ? I have several from the web but i would like to see what rubs some of my blue lot brothers use.

Thanks in advance

I'm watching this thread, hoping for some activity, plus some other smoking tips, time, temp, etc.

Regardless of the rub

always cook with the fat pad facing up. When I've smoked brisket, I go simple. Salt, pepper, a smidge of garlic powder and onion powder and lots of paprika. I'm not a brown sugar guy, even on ribs. Nor do I get exotic with other spices. I like the meat to be the star, not what I rub it with. Salt and pepper allow that. As for sauce, I put a bottle of quality sauce on the table for those that like it.

The night before hit it rub some yellow mustard and rub, recipe is below. Cook low and slow on the smoker, 225 degrees, Hit it every once in a while with a mop sauce, the one I like is below. I don't have a particular one I like until the temp hits 190 and then pull that beef. Let it sit for another 1/2 hour to 45, tented with some foil, then slice that puppy up.

This is my go to rub from Central BBQ in Memphis (I know its a texas meat, but this rub is all purpose)

1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper

Mop Sauce

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup beer
3 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Steve I kind of subscribe to the firstdown method, keep it simple and let the meat be the star. Cookshack brand has a brisket rub that does well and still allows the meat to shine with or without mustard slather. Their rib rub is excellent also. I am going to have to find it on the web to buy because I can't find it anywhere in the valley, Cabelas use to have it but not anymore. Other than that I have done what firstdown has done and they have turned out well. Good luck.

Did it almost like that, not the same rub, bit it was a winner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT