ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 basketball tourney

sgfeer

All-American
Jun 2, 2001
Okay folks, where are the best places to stay for the tourney, I.E. nice and perhaps walking distance to the games and other activity's. Thanks

The Sprint Center is downtown, so any downtown KC hotel is walking distance. My favorite is The President Hotel (Hilton property I think). The largest is a Marriott.

There is an entertainment area (known as the 'Power & Light District') adjacent to the Sprint Center, which is hopping with activity during the tournament. It is the place to be.

A nice area just south of downtown is Crown Center (a Hallmark area) that has some nice hotels as well (Westin, Hyatt), that is walkable, but I would think they would have shuttles running (but I'm not sure).

Originally posted by TwoJay:

The Sprint Center is downtown, so any downtown KC hotel is walking distance. My favorite is The President Hotel (Hilton property I think). The largest is a Marriott.

There is an entertainment area (known as the 'Power & Light District') adjacent to the Sprint Center, which is hopping with activity during the tournament. It is the place to be.

A nice area just south of downtown is Crown Center (a Hallmark area) that has some nice hotels as well (Westin, Hyatt), that is walkable, but I would think they would have shuttles running (but I'm not sure).
What was the feeling by most Big 12 fans when they decided to keep the championship in KC?

Thanks twoJay, how is the ticket situation. Got use to picking up tickets outside the Garden or on Stubhub for individual sessions.

Vernon, do you know the Hotel for the team, they were in the Affinia after Huggs got in, would it be a Marriott? The suggested Hilton looks inviting though

Originally posted by Vernon:

What was the feeling by most Big 12 fans when they decided to keep the championship in KC?
Obviously KU fans loved it. They had it in Dallas for a few years and
the first/second round games were absolutely dead. Maybe 20% of the
stadium would be filled. It was better in Oklahoma City but it still
lacked attendance pretty badly. Up in the Kansas City area it's
basically a 4 day weekend for many people. Lots of KU, KSU and Missouri
fans in the area would buy tickets for the entire tournament and stay at
the arena all day long vs. just buying tickets for 1 game. Plus it made
the commute for Iowa State fans much easier and they've always shown up in KC for the conference tournament. It makes more sense financially
for the conference and since Missouri's been gone I think it might be a
move by the Big 12 to remind everyone in the area that Kansas City will
always be Big 12 country. I could be wrong on the last part since I
don't live there anymore but that's kinda what I've gotten the
impression of.

I've never been to Kansas City before. Perhaps I'll take a a three or four day trip out there this year for the Big XII Tournament. How's the night life in KC? What are the best hotels to stay at?

There are three good nightlife areas within a few miles of downtown and the Sprint Center.

The Power and Light district was built right next to the arena. Power & Light is full of restaurants, bars and clubs. It will be packed every day. There are many hotels within walking distance of the arena and p&l.

Westport is a few miles south and was the old bar district before p&l was built. There are still a lot of good bars there but it has gone downhill a little bit.

The third nightlife area is the Country Club Plaza. High end hotels, bars, restaurants and shopping. The Plaza is a better spot for the older crowd. It's classier and high end and not as wild as p&l or Westport.

As someone else mentioned, there are also good hotels at Crown Center. Hallmark has their headquarters in KC and the Hall family created Crown Center as a shopping area. There are some restaurants, nice hotels and high end shopping, but its not an area for nightlife. Crown Center is close to Union Station and the World War 1 museum and memorial if you want to see something besides basketball and booze on your trip. I can put together a good guide of restaurants and bars as it gets closer to the tourney. For now, just try to find a hotel and find tickets.

Originally posted by Vernon:

Kansas City really makes the most sense for the basketball tournament, particularly before Missouri left the Big XII. At this point I kind of hate giving the state of Missouri the tax dollars (and I live i Missouri). But it still is nearest to the programs (other than Oklahoma State) that traditionally care the most about hoops in this league (KU, KSU, ISU). WVU certainly falls in that category now.

The old Big 8 fans love KC. It simply was tradition to take a few days off, grab a carload and head to Kemper Arena. Great times and great memories. There was a bar in the bottom of old Kemper, and the same fans from all 8 schools congregated in that bar. Over the years, we all got to know each other and it became an annual reunion atmosphere. Miss that place. The new arena is certainly nice, but I am one fan sorry to see ol Kemper go. But I'm one OSU fan that would rather it stay in KC vs OKC or Dallas. The years it was in OKC and Dallas just didn't have the same feel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT