ADVERTISEMENT

BCM, or others, looking for opinions/recipes for braised shanks . . .

Fingon

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2003
Davis, WV
www.hammerheadjigs.com
I've always loved braised lamb shanks (kapama), but have never made it myself. This year, when cutting up our deer, I kept the hind and fore-shanks in tact, bone-in to try braising them in that delicious style. My rationale was that they should be very similar to lamb shanks in both size and flavor, given the similarities of the animals. That muscle area is full of connective tissue that I'm hoping will melt into a savory, gelatinous, heavenly goo and deliver the same flavor as a lamb shank. Do you recommend a pan sear before braising? If you've got a good mediterranean rice recipe to accompany, I'm all ears.

I love to order stuff like this at some of my favorite greek diners when I go out, but I've never tried it at home.

I can walk you through it Clay but let me pull a standardized recipe from the restaurant in the next couple of days. For the full effect you will need a nice dark chicken or venison stock.

Braised shanks....

Here is a start for you Clay. As for the Mediteranean Pilaf. I would suggest toasted orzo along with your rice. Of course have some of the extra stock that you made for your shanks and add whatever you like. Diced tomatoes, kalamata olives, artichokes, spinach, red onion, mint, oregano, parsley- whatever. Finish it with some manchego or parmigiano-reggiano cheese, a large amount of fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.

Rosemary Braised Lamb/Venison Shanks
(Serves 6)

6-8 Lamb Shanks
½ Gallon of Dark Chicken (or Venison) Stock
3 Large Carrots (cut on a bias)
1 Stalk of Celery (cut on a bias)
2 Large Onions (medium dice)
6 Garlic Cloves (minced)
1 Large Shallot (minced)
1 teaspoon Black Peppercorns
2 Bay Leaves
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 Bunch of Rosemary
½ Bunch of Thyme
½ Bunch of Parsley
½ Cup of Red Wine
Salt and Pepper to taste

1 Preheat oven to 300°. Season and dust shanks lightly with flour.
2. Using an enameled cast iron dutch oven, sear shanks until golden brown on all sides. Reserve.
3. Caramelize carrots, celery, and onion. Add peppercorns and bay leaves.
4. Sweat herbs, garlic and shallots, stir in tomato paste, add wine and reduce by 1/3. Add shanks and the warm stock.
5. Cover and bake in oven for 3 hours (or until fork tender).
6. Strain and reserve excess stock for sauce.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT