ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ Sauce for Pulled Pork?

WVRON

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Morgantown, WV
This weekend some friends and I are having a "I Can't wait till Football Season" tailgate party. I plan on smoking a pork butt in my electric smoker. I have never used apple wood but am thinking of trying it. Have any of you out there had success with apple? I usually use hickory but wanted to try somethng different.

As for my sauce I plan on making two. I have a traditional Eastern NC vinegar based sauce which I prefer but would also like to do a KC or Memphis style ketchup based as well. Do any of you have any good BBQ sauce recipes they'd like to share, And if you read this BCM you sent me one a while back but I can't find it. Maybe you could post it again if you don't mind.

There's nothing better than a good pulled pork sammich! My mouth is watering in anticipation.

Here ya go:

1/2 pound butter
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (white will work also)
3 tblsp lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
1 1/2 tblsp Worcestershire sauce (preferably Lea & Perrins)
1 tblsp honey
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper (fresh ground if you have it)

Once the butter is melted in a saucepan, stir in all but the vinegar, and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the vinegar, and allow the sauce to cool.

I have a simple vinegar sauce that I use the folks love

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 TBS of Raw Cane Sugar
1 TBS of Tabasco
1 tsp of kosher salt
1 tsp of cracked black pepper
1 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper

Mix is all up well and enjoy. Really does a great job of not overpowering the pork.

This post was edited on 6/27 10:41 PM by Stone_Cold

Ron I have smoked butts with apple, pecan and hickory, like all three. But my family and I prefer Apple or Pecan. Apple may be my favorite, I believe all will be good. As for sauce I prefer Memphis style myself but what I do when I make pulled pork I set out in a bowl 2 or 3 different sauces so people can use whatever they like. More often than not I won't use any.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to trying the apple. I think the sweetness of the apple with the tanginess of the vinegar sauce will be a good combo.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I always use applewood for pork. I also put a 60% apple juice / 40% water in a spritzer and anytime I open the smoker to add wood I spritz the meat really well with it. As for sauce you can't go wrong with Sweet Baby Rays Original.

I made this today and it was fantastic. Thanks for the recipe - it is going into the regular rotation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT