ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ Rib suggestions?

rog1187

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Probably going with baby-back ribs as they usually take less time...any suggestions from prep, rub, sauce, temp, direct/indirect heat, smoke.

For one thing I would guess everyone on this board will have a different way of prep and cooking. I'll answer the way I cook ribs is like this:
1. I make a dry rub, there are plenty of recipes on line. Just google and you'll find one.
2. Make sure you get the thin membrane off the back side of the ribs
3. I apply the rub at least 24 hours in advance then wrap in saran wrap and then foil and store in the fridge. Use a baking sheet or something like that to set the ribs in
4. I smoke indirect for about 2 hours but that is my grill and smoker so your time may vary.
5. Once done smoking I place ribs in a foil package and add a little bit of apple cider, or apple vinegar or apple juice (whatever I have on hand) and seal the foil and move closer to the heat. The Apple vinegar (what I prefer) provides a little steam.
6. Your choice on sauce. I usually provide on the side for people to dip if they choose. If you add sauce do it really late in the cooking process. Maybe the last 5 to 10 minutes. The sauce can char very easily.

As far as temp goes I cook by site and time and couldn;t tell you what temp my grill/smoker is when smoking. I am guessing it's 180 to 225.

Here's what my wife does, and I rank her version of baby back ribs the best I have ever eaten....

She puts the baby back ribs in a pan of boiling water long enough to loosen the membrane on the back side of them and then peels it off and discards it. She then returns them to the boiling pot and lets them simmer until they are thoroughly tender....the amount of time depends on if she finishes them in the smoker, on the grill, or in the oven, whichever device she uses the key is low and slow regarding temperature. Once she has them in whatever device she is going to finish them in she starts slathering them with Bulls-Eye sauce. If she chooses the smoker or the grill she doesn't wrap them with anything, if they are finished in the oven she wraps them with aluminum foil. Maybe the professionals who post here wouldn't approve of her method, but I've never eaten better ribs in any restaurant at any price.

Eating is a personal experience. But boiling ribs is a big no-no as you already acknowledge. Yes, it may make them tender but you are leaving all the flavor of the meat in the pot. What you are tasting after she finishes them is nothing more than the bottled sauce you are putting on them.

I often "cheat" in making ribs myself. But instead of boiling, I steam them either wrapped in foil on a low grill, in the oven (which is how most chain restaurants do it) or in a pressure cooker. That way you are making the tender using liquid (I steam using beer with a little liquid smoke) and you are imparting flavor of both of a rub and the steamed liquid into the meat. I then finish on the grill as your wife does it.
This post was edited on 5/27 4:45 PM by WVUBRU

Each to his own, I suppose. You mention beer and liquid smoke, both are no-no's as far as I'm concerned. I don't like what beer does for meat and liquid smoke tastes artificial to me. I prefer natural apple wood chips to provide the smoke with pork, whichever method of cooking is involved. Meanwhile, maybe the fact that "cheating" is common in restaurants is the very reason we each prefer our own versions of baby back ribs over typical restaurant fare. For the record, plenty of pork flavor shines through when my wife does it her way, but as you said, eating is a matter of personal preference.

I didn't want to sound like I was being an ass because I really wasn't trying. Just sharing my opinion and am actually glad the method you guys choose works well for you.

Yes, applewood is fantastic with pork and is my favorite along with pecan when I do smoke.

My update...

I rinsing the ribs and then peeling the sheath on the bone-side of the ribs...a little difficult to get started but pulled off rather easily with a sharp knife and good grip.

I used GrillMates (McCormick) Cowboy Rub, then wrapped in saran-wrap, then placed back in the fridge for about 6 hours (I wanted to get it on them longer but wasn't able to make it happen this time)...I then set them out for about 20-30 minutes prior to putting them on the grill.

Grill temp was about 325-350 (I used the grill thermometer but want to get a more accurate guage if anyone has a suggestion)...lit the two outside burners and placed the two racks over the inside (un-lit) burners for indirect heat...then opened a few beers while the cooking happened.

Applied Sweet Baby Rays sauce about 20-30 minutes prior taking the ribs off when they reached at least 160 internal temp.

Re: My update...

Sounds perfect. Did you put in wood chunks on the burners to create smoke? What was your total cook time?

I didn't try a smoke box this time, but will in the future...any suggestions on type of wood?...total cook time was just a little over 2 hours.

Re: I agree

fruitwoods including pecan imparts better flavor in pork than oak or mesquite. Hickory is good.

Any particular brand of chips/wood that you buy? I might be cooking ribs every weekend just to try out new ideas.

I tried a method tonight by weber thay cooked baby backs on direct heat in 1 hour and 15 minuts they turned out good. I still prefer the 3-2-1 method in the smoker but these were good. I like a more smokey flavor.

Agree with bru on the fruit wood but if you can't find fruit wood.....

Hickory is a great all pupose wood. Well, that's my opinion. Lowe's and Home Depot both carry wood for smoking so you should e able to find something there.

My advice would be to skip the baby backs and not worry about the time involved. "Low and Slow", as they say. Get a full rack of spare ribs and learn how to make them into a St. Louis cut. They are a far superior slab to work with. You will never go back after you make the switch.

Either buy or create a nice dry rub, let them sit overnight, and then cook them using indirect heat. This can be acomplished using even the most basic grill. Just keep the heat from beneath the ribs. You can sit the ribs on edge if need be. And try to keep that heat below around 250 degrees or so.

I pulled some out of the smoker Sunday that my guests refused to put sauce on. Said they didn't need it. I have been using Penzey's rubs. They have a couple of them. This latest batch got Barbeque 3000.

Do/have any of you guys used a rib rack when making ribs? **

Re: Do/have any of you guys used a rib rack when making ribs? **

I use one just about every time I make them. They cook just fine. Occasionally you will get a bit of "bark" that sticks to the rack when you pull it out of the rack. The cook obviously gets to eat those bits :)

For some reason, when I use a rib rack it burns the ends of the rack of ribs.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I just take a V rack and turn it upside down. Makes for a great rib rack.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT