ADVERTISEMENT

Atlanta cop shoots Black man, chief resigns

Turning that taser was a threat. He suffered the consequences. Cop should not lose his job for that. Maybe suspended for losing control of the situation, both of them.
The guys running away, not standing off.

It was a taser.
And what does a taser do? It puts a person down and makes them defenseless. Not sure it deserves being shot, but I wasn't in that situation where a criminal was evading arrest, fleeing, and then pointing a weapon at me as I pursued him.

The guys running away, not standing off.

The cops certainly could've acted differently.

However, even running away he was pointing a weapon (yes, a tazer) at them. That's not much different than shooting at from a vehicle running from the cops.

The rational course is to not bemoan the death of a man who had a DUI to the point of passing out in the fvcking drive through, resisted arrest, assaulted a police officer, evaded capture, stole a weapon, fired the weapon at police. Also, the rational course is understanding, once the decision is made to affect the arrest, it’s happening, the ref isn’t picking up the flag or waiving it off.
The guy was 27 and inebriated. The arrest can happen at another time. Cops do it with high speed chases. The cops were great up until they tried to cuff him. If they were unsure they could get the job done, they should’ve waiting for more officers on scene. Imo, the cops fvcked up. These are Americans. Putting bullets in his back is what I bemoan. Fvcking ego on some people, winning is everything.

However, even running away he was pointing a weapon (yes, a tazer) at them. That's not much different than shooting at from a vehicle running from the cops.
The irony is this is the exact scenario cautioned against when people bitch about police brutality. Here you have 2 cops doing the right thing through the entire encounter and then shit goes awry. How much of their subduing him was constrained due to current events? In the past, he’d have likely been beat up pretty good, but he’d be alive. All that, and now what’s the narrative? We should just let him go, it’s not like what he was doing was a big deal.

These fvcking people have to be stopped from having a voice. They’re going to destroy order in this country. Fvcking academics.

Reactions: Airport

If a taser is just as lethal as a sidearm, why do cops have tasers?

The guy was 27 and inebriated. The arrest can happen at another time. Cops do it with high speed chases. The cops were great up until they tried to cuff him. If they were unsure they could get the job done, they should’ve waiting for more officers on scene. Imo, the cops fvcked up. These are Americans. Putting bullets in his back is what I bemoan. Fvcking ego on some people, winning is everything.
You’re literally advocating letting a criminal go. Do you not see how fvcked your position is? It’s a never ending movement of the goal posts and at the onset of the left’s arguments built on a lie in Ferguson, the position was retardedly naive.

Attitude of Americans and policy of the police needs to change and is reflected in this thread. The cop failed to put him under arrest and he got away. No shots should be fired. Put out a warrant for his arrest. He would be caught and would be alive. This isn't a new approach but an old one that does work for this type of incident where no one was threatened and deadly force is not warranted.

And car jacking someone or he takes someone hostage during the next arrest is not a possibility is it? He resisted once, what will be different about the next one? Hate to say it, but if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes. And yes, if my kids did exactly what this guy did, I would mourn, but I would also realize he made very bad choices that contributed to his demise.

Reactions: Boomboom521
The taser is used to temporarily incapacitate someone. The guy who ran should have done like most of us would, and simply cooperate with the officer. What if, the guy running would have incapacitated the cop with the taser, then while he was down, grabbed his gun, and shot him with his own weapon? This just seems to be a case where there's no wrong or right side here. It simply evolved into an unfortunate situation, and most cops I watched interviewed both yesterday and this morning, indicated they would have likely acted the same way, although they admitted it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and possibly reacted differently, but during the heat of the moment, you literally have no time to think prior to your normal, trained reactions.

The irony is this is the exact scenario cautioned against when people bitch about police brutality. Here you have 2 cops doing the right thing through the entire encounter and then shit goes awry. How much of their subduing him was constrained due to current events? In the past, he’d have likely been beat up pretty good, but he’d be alive. All that, and now what’s the narrative? We should just let him go, it’s not like what he was doing was a big deal.

These fvcking people have to be stopped from having a voice. They’re going to destroy order in this country. Fvcking academics.
Current events showed a fvcking cop, behind his shiny badge, laying his knee on a guys neck up until and after he was unresponsive for 3 minutes. How can you fvcking compare the two? Once again, the white badass Marine says “law and order” is allowed to do whatever in the name of “winning the scene”, and laughs that there’s one less scumbag off the streets - while loved ones grieve and communities feel disconnected from the government that polices them.

Yet the problem is academics, and the answer is more force, less compassion, and less discussion. Go ahead and tuck those sheets to regulation, and expect the rest of the world to do the same.

And car jacking someone or he takes someone hostage during the next arrest is not a possibility is it? He resisted once, what will be different about the next one? Hate to say it, but if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes. And yes, if my kids did exactly what this guy did, I would mourn, but I would also realize he made very bad choices that contributed to his demise.
Only argument worth listening to - all else is placing the badge above citizens - and we’ve seen clearly very recently that some don’t deserve to wear the badge in the first place.

The taser is used to temporarily incapacitate someone. The guy who ran should have done like most of us would, and simply cooperate with the officer. What if, the guy running would have incapacitated the cop with the taser, then while he was down, grabbed his gun, and shot him with his own weapon? This just seems to be a case where there's no wrong or right side here. It simply evolved into an unfortunate situation, and most cops I watched interviewed both yesterday and this morning, indicated they would have likely acted the same way, although they admitted it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and possibly reacted differently, but during the heat of the moment, you literally have no time to think prior to your normal, trained reactions.
I agree there is no right or wrong side here. And this situation isn’t as clear. But Americans shouldn’t be shot in the back by our police force.

This is a legit argument, imo. If this cat, pumped up on adrenaline and already fvcked up and making bad decisions harms someone after this interaction, the cops would have to live with that. But that doesn’t justify taking the guys life, imo. And even if something does happen, it goes back to the fact that the cops should’ve subdued him when they had the chance. Running and resisting isn’t a capital offense.

If I'm front lines in law enforcement...I would not enforce anything moving forward. If the guy wants to drive away, let him. If someone committed a felony, let them. It's not worth it any more. The criminals have won and nothing short of a total crackdown will put the genie back in the bottle.

My wife talked a lot this weekend. We are so glad to be back in WV after spending the last 30 years in Cinti, Louisville and between NYC and Philly. I have no desire to hang in a larger city moving forward, although I am sure we will be NYC and Philly in the next 3 months.

If I'm front lines in law enforcement...I would not enforce anything moving forward. If the guy wants to drive away, let him. If someone committed a felony, let them. It's not worth it any more. The criminals have won and nothing short of a total crackdown will put the genie back in the bottle.

My wife talked a lot this weekend. We are so glad to be back in WV after spending the last 30 years in Cinti, Louisville and between NYC and Philly. I have no desire to hang in a larger city moving forward, although I am sure we will be NYC and Philly in the next 3 months.
I doubt good cops feel that way. But maybe we should focus a bit more on training our police force to avoid these situations. They talked to this guy for 20+ min, if they were unsure they could subdue him (because of his size, whatever) then they should stall until more units arrive and it’s for sure. Once he got away, that cop should’ve either chased until he couldn’t chase anymore, called for more units to close down the area, or went back to the scene impounded the vehicle, and placed the warrant on the guy for arrest - and took the ass chewing from his superior in the am.

Firing into the guys back shouldn’t have been in his head as an option, imo.

In real time, would you be 100% sure that it was a taser or a gun that he had in his hand...because that was his decision to make in 1/10th of a second. I do training for a living...when I ratchet up the pace/speed of an exercise, errors rise in relation to the increase in stress and diminished processing time...Since this is a sports site, it's exactly why they blitz QB's...to quicken the pace and force bad decisions.

In real time, would you be 100% sure that it was a taser or a gun that he had in his hand...because that was his decision to make in 1/10th of a second. I do training for a living...when I ratchet up the pace/speed of an exercise, errors rise in relation to the increase in stress and diminished processing time...Since this is a sports site, it's exactly why they blitz QB's...to quicken the pace and force bad decisions.
I think it was pretty clear it was his taser. Wasn’t the cat patted down during the field sobriety?

I doubt good cops feel that way. But maybe we should focus a bit more on training our police force to avoid these situations. They talked to this guy for 20+ min, if they were unsure they could subdue him (because of his size, whatever) then they should stall until more units arrive and it’s for sure. Once he got away, that cop should’ve either chased until he couldn’t chase anymore, called for more units to close down the area, or went back to the scene impounded the vehicle, and placed the warrant on the guy for arrest - and took the ass chewing from his superior in the am.

Firing into the guys back shouldn’t have been in his head as an option, imo.

I hope they don't but in reality it's happening. Seattle is losing more officers by the day. That will be a national trend. Another effect of this is, the tenured officers are taking early retirement leaving more vacancies to be filled with more novice officers...who will be challenged more often.

I hope they don't but in reality it's happening. Seattle is losing more officers by the day. That will be a national trend. Another effect of this is, the tenured officers are taking early retirement leaving more vacancies to be filled with more novice officers...who will be challenged more often.
That is a shame, I agree. All the more reason this discussion should’ve been had - seriously - long ago. And, imo, it’s not all about racism, it’s about how serious being an officer is, and that some people shouldn’t be permitted the honor of holding a position of power over American citizens.

It’s fvcking bright yellow

I guess you have never been in a high stress situation...Good for you...for those that have...it's really tuff. I am not defending the officer as much I am putting equal blame on the criminal...this situation sucked, and the one who died made multiple choices that ended his life...but yet we focus on the officer who was forced to make a life/death call in a split second. This was not GF, it did not play out over 9 minutes. It played out in less than a second.

Last edited:
You have no idea if the guy would continue to run if the cop goes down. He's already proven he's willing to do anything to avoid arrest. How many cops are killed every year when their gun is taken? Under guidelines, cop is likely to be vindicated.

The cop will have to justify his use of deadly force. Despite everyone's opinion if he can't justify it he's going to be guilty of murder. 3 cops I talked to and watched that video with don't think deadly force was required. We'll see what a jury says because he is being charged with homicide.

Yeah, but you had no problem calling me a moron,

I didn't call you a "moron", I used a cartoon character as a depiction who phonetically botched the word in order to avoid being directly accused of name calling. It was a relative decision I made to be intellectually honest just like YOU did avoiding directly answering me on IM about post birth abortions.

I am calling you a coward on that though. [thumbsup]

The cop will have to justify his use of deadly force. Despite everyone's opinion if he can't justify it he's going to be guilty of murder. 3 cops I talked to and watched that video with don't think deadly force was required. We'll see what a jury says because he is being charged with homicide.
So, if the taser had hit the officer, he goes down, what's to prevent the perp from coming back and grabbing his gun? He's already proven he's stupid enough to fight them and grab the taser. Sorry, once you point something at the officer, you run the risk of being lawfully shot.

You have no idea if the guy would continue to run if the cop goes down. He's already proven he's willing to do anything to avoid arrest. How many cops are killed every year when their gun is taken? Under guidelines, cop is likely to be vindicated.

Again true, but he didn't have a gun...he had a taser. It's not a deadly weapon. It can incapacitate you, but it can't kill you.

So, if the taser had hit the officer, he goes down, what's to prevent the perp from coming back and grabbing his gun? He's already proven he's stupid enough to fight them and grab the taser. Sorry, once you point something at the officer, you run the risk of being lawfully shot.

I can see that argument...but again...the guy was running away from Officers not facing them and pointing a weapon! In that case, maybe taking him down is warranted. Not shooting him in the back while he's fleeing.

That cop should be charged with murder.....the man was shot in the back for Gods sake.

Reactions: atlkvb
I know I'll be in the minority here but I see it as a justified shooting.

Think about it... if the roles were reversed...
1) A white man resists the arrest of two black police officers
2) In the attempt to resist he gains control of one of the officers tasers
3) In his attempt to flee he fires the taser at one of the officers
4) Almost instantaneously, the officers fire and kill him.

Would this even be a story? Would anyone outside of the Atlanta Metro area even know about this? Would those cops be under the scrutiny these officers are?

No.

People are looking at this situation through the lens of George Floyd and it is obstructing their view of the matter. These officers were courteous and professional right up until the time the suspect altered his behavior. The assumption the officers SHOULD have been able to do this or do that to gain control of an unruly suspect is flawed thinking. In moments of crisis, when fight or flight takes over and the adrenaline starts pumping, people's behaviors become erratic.

The facts are these - the suspect resisted arrest, he took a weapon from an officer and fired the weapon at the officer and was shot dead within a mere second or two afterward.

Everything else is irrelevant.

That cop should be charged with murder.....the man was shot in the back for Gods sake.

Folks should watch the video I posted earlier in the thread on "shoot or don't shoot"? It's a tough call and if you make the wrong decision you're either a dead man or guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

Posting it again here

I know I'll be in the minority here but I see it as a justified shooting.

Think about it... if the roles were reversed...
1) A white man resists the arrest of two black police officers
2) In the attempt to resist he gains control of one of the officers tasers
3) In his attempt to flee he fires the taser at one of the officers
4) Almost instantaneously, the officers fire and kill him.

Would this even be a story? Would anyone outside of the Atlanta Metro area even know about this? Would those cops be under the scrutiny these officers are?

No.

People are looking at this situation through the lens of George Floyd and it is obstructing their view of the matter. These officers were courteous and professional right up until the time the suspect altered his behavior. The assumption the officers SHOULD have been able to do this or do that to gain control of an unruly suspect is flawed thinking. In moments of crisis, when fight or flight takes over and the adrenaline starts pumping, people's behaviors become erratic.

The facts are these - the suspect resisted arrest, he took a weapon from an officer and fired the weapon at the officer and was shot dead within a mere second or two afterward.

Everything else is irrelevant.

This is a very strong argument in favor of those cops but it fails in the main reason deadly force should ever be used. It also doesn't explain how those Officers were either so poorly trained or failed to use proper techniques to gain control of that situation? Again you make a very strong argument, and this is why we have juries. IMO, the cop was NOT justified in his use of deadly force. We'll see?

Current events showed a fvcking cop, behind his shiny badge, laying his knee on a guys neck up until and after he was unresponsive for 3 minutes. How can you fvcking compare the two? Once again, the white badass Marine says “law and order” is allowed to do whatever in the name of “winning the scene”, and laughs that there’s one less scumbag off the streets - while loved ones grieve and communities feel disconnected from the government that polices them.

Yet the problem is academics, and the answer is more force, less compassion, and less discussion. Go ahead and tuck those sheets to regulation, and expect the rest of the world to do the same.
My point was, what about all of the current events potentially drove the police to have a less aggressive posture in this encounter than what was potentially available to them which would have negated this getting out of control.

My point was, what about all of the current events potentially drove the police to have a less aggressive posture in this encounter than what was potentially available to them which would have negated this getting out of control.
It didn’t stop them from shooting the man in the back.

Simple solution, never put yourself in a position where a cop has to make that decision.

I have done some training with Police K9 units with my BIL and even with dogs it can be overwhelming. I went through an abandoned school where they worked the dogs in clearing a building. I'm not sure anyone got through without being killed (they used airsoft guns) the 1st time.

On a side note, I used to have to go through advanced driver training every two years with ex cops and race car drivers. They had cars that simulated skid outs etc. The biggest lesson I learned was when in doubt, assume the other driver will make a bad decision and start avoidance tactics early. It has saved my life more than once including my family which I put them through my version of it.

I also became friends with an ex WVU grad who is now a PA State Policeman in the Quakertown area. He 6'2" and has a solid presence about him. He has been on the force for less than 3 years and he said that he gets verbally abused in 90% of his stops...he just laughs as he keeps writing tickets until they shut up. The hatred for the police is not just a minority thing...

Reactions: atlkvb
Would it have come to that without all of the melodrama of the last couple of months?
I don’t know, but I think of those cops were going to draw and fire- they were likely to employ any tactic they’ve been trained to use to subdue. There was 2 of them, with tasers, he should’ve been cuffed and stuffed. Don’t blame the protests against a horrible act.

Is it any wonder why some think buildings need to be set ablaze to be heard by white America?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT