ADVERTISEMENT

As if we need another thread on this

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
but I just can't help myself. As I see it, there are two possibilities for this firing. The first is that Harrison did something wrong which was a fireable offense. The second is that Harrison was fired for his on the job performance.

If it was due to a fireable offense, I could see Baker talking with Huggs to make sure that Huggs knew this had to happen and there were no alternatives.

If it was due to Harrison's on the job performance, that gets to be much trickier, imo. Baker, as a one time basketball coach, would certainly recognize that we are underperforming. In other words, we have some talent but are not playing up to it. If I were Baker (and knowing that Huggs has some big money donors that are very good friends), the first thing I would do is contact those donors to explain to them that you are going to talk with Huggs about the direction of the program and try to work with Huggs to find some quick actions to try and turn the program around, both short term and long term. Getting their buy-in would be pretty important, imo. If Baker, did indeed, have a conversation with Huggs on the need to make some moves to improve the team's performance (short term and long term), you have to assume that he would want Huggs to lay out what changes make the most sense. I don't think Baker went in and told Huggs to fire Harrison. I think Huggs made the call and is now claiming that the decision was out of his hands as a way to try and save his relationship with Harrison. I think Vernon (I could be wrong) posted something to the effect that this has been brewing for some time. I know Huggs alluded to some BS'ers that were just hanging on, not just players but his staff, a few games ago.

Vernon has posted that this may get ugly. I really hope it does not. I hope Larry is a professional and handles this in a professional manner. At the same time, if Huggs did make the call, I think he should stand by his decision and not try and point to Baker as the bad guy.

In the WVU announcement, it said that WVU would being an immediate search. But who in the wide world of sports are they going to get? The best assistants are already coaching some where and are not leaving mid-season. Perhaps, Huggs could go after an AAU coach or a former coach that is now doing other things. I do wonder if we are looking for some short term help and will staff the position for the longer term at season's end? Sad situation but this program desperately needs a major shake-up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News