ADVERTISEMENT

As I sit in my study with my Covid addled brain, I am optimistic

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
I think Wren is off to a good start. He had a huge pile of $hit thrown at him. The NB saga. Huggs' DUI and Gee's meddling. Replacing the women's basketball coach. All in a rather short period of time.

In hindsight, he handled the NB situation correctly. Gave NB one more chance to perform. NB benefitted from a rather easy Big 12 schedule. But in year's past, we don't win many of those games. NB has a "franchise" QB, which is a must at WVU. Big bowl win over a quality ACC program. And it was not close. We have not, thus far, lost many players to the portal. That is very telling of the culture NB and his staff have built. We have a much harder Big 12 schedule next season and I am predicting 7 wins. That could change depending on how we perform in the portal and with recruiting. We are finally on the right path. And I think NB has the right recipe at the all important QB position, dual threat QB's.

What a team we could have had if Huggs had not decided to drive while drunk. Looking back, I think it had Final Four potential and a team that could compete for the Big 12 championship. Wren had a decision to make. Hire a replacement at a terrible time in the calendar. Or hire an interim and try to keep as much of the team together as possible. I think he made the right call even though this season is going to be a tough one to watch. I now trust Wren to make the right hire after this season. And with the portal, it is easier to rebuild a program in one season as long as the big donors are happy with the selection.

Dawn Plitzuweit decided to take her talent, after just one season, to Minny. It sure looks like Wren made a terrific hire in Mark Kellogg. The team is extremely well coached, move the ball extremely well and are undefeated, setting a WVU record in the process. I think it was a home run hire.

I suspect there are not many AD's, if any, that had to deal with as many critical issues so early in their tenure. Wren gets an A from me. And I think the future is bright for WVU athletics. Now, if we can just get Gee to retire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News