ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING UPDATE An update(r) on top prospects ...

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
An update here.

--West Virginia has been on a roll of late with recruiting but there is still some work that needs to be done prior to the dead period. West Virginia wants to try to have 2/3 if not 3/4 of the class done either before or during the dead period so that means the coaches will be working to seal up more prospects.

--For the longest time Philadelphia (Pa.) St. Joseph's 2024 quarterback Samaj Jones has remained at the top of the board for West Virginia at his position but after the performance put on by Upper Marlboro (Md.) Wise 2024 quarterback Khalil Wilkins at the 7-on-7 over the course of the day and throwing for the coaches earlier this summer I think the coaching staff would certainly be comfortable with him as the quarterback in this class and I think he's really moved up the board. Time is ticking here to fill this spot and I think the Mountaineers want to have this wrapped up and that would fill the need at the position.

--Gahanna (Oh.) Lincoln 2024 running back Diore Hubbard remains a focus at his position and since he visit to West Virginia he has gone somewhat quiet. The Mountaineers appear to be in a very good spot here and he would fill the need at the position. He is set to make a decision July 1 and that would close the book on the position.

--Melbourne (Fla.) Central Catholic 2024 wide receiver Ric'Darious Farmer will take an official visit to Pittsburgh, where he is committed this weekend. The Mountaineers continue to actively pursue here and he has a really good connection with the coaching staff. Still, the Panthers are going to get a real crack to try to close things down this weekend but West Virginia is very much still fighting and is trying to make things interesting. He is expected to decide after that trip but I get the feeling this one is going to go a while. There are other wide receivers in the mix but I don't see West Virginia really rushing into anything with a lot of options on the table. I expect West Virginia to add 1-2 more there by the end.

--I don't get the feeling that West Virginia is going to end up being one of the schools at the end for Atco (N.J.) Winslow Township 2024 wide receiver Jaylan Hornsby. He released a top two of Texas A&M and Penn State, but it seems that the official visit to Morgantown might be as far as it goes. He will decide July 1 but this won't be West Virginia.

--Jefferson (W.Va.) 2024 athlete Keyshawn Robinson is a really good player. I thought that last year, but he has gotten even better. He has filled out more and is very fast and kept making plays for his team today with the potential for even more improvement. There is a lot to be excited with when it comes to his commitment.

--West Virginia is looking to try to secure some offensive tackles in this class and has a list of players that could fill that need. Laurel (Md.) St. Vincent Pallotti 2024 offensive lineman Ryan Howerton, Roanoke (Va.) North Cross School 2024 offensive lineman Moritz Schmoranzer, Lexington (Ky.) Frederick Douglas 2024 offensive lineman Zuri Madison and Huntington (W.Va.) 2024 offensive lineman Robby Martin have all taken official visits to West Virginia but each have made stops at other schools. Howerton has been to Maryland and will head to Pittsburgh this weekend. Madison has visited Arkansas and will head to Miami this weekend, while Schmoranzer has taken trips to Virginia Tech and Miami with Pitt this weekend. Martin took an official visit to N.C. State, but spent this week in Morgantown during the 7-on-7. He was scheduled to go to Penn State this weekend but that trip won't occur.

--Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas 2024 linebacker Nicholas Rodriguez could have an argument to be the best overall prospect that West Virginia is still recruiting and the Mountaineers got him on an official visit June 9. He hasn't said much since that trip but the Mountaineers are recruiting him along with a lot of other schools. He took an official visit to Ohio State the weekend before his stop in Morgantown and Louisville this past weekend. There is no timeline here.

--Barboursville (W.Va.) Cabell Midland 2024 linebacker Curtis Jones has received an offer from West Virginia and he earned it after his performances in the camps this off-season. He is incredibly impressive physically running a 4.6 40-yard dash and having impressive length. He is being targeted as either an inside or outside linebacker and the Mountaineers immediately moved up his list of options and is a name to keep in mind. I expect West Virginia to take one to two more here.

--Midlothian (Va.) Manchester 2024 defensive end Makai Byerson remains a key target and the son of former basketball player Brad Byerson has been busy taking trips to a number of schools. He visited West Virginia first and has followed that up with stops at Rutgers, Kentucky and will head to Virginia Tech this weekend. He is expected to make a decision once he completes his visits to those four schools and the Mountaineers remain very much in the picture. He will make his decision June 30.

--Auburndale (Fla.) 2024 defensive lineman Nate Gabriel took an official visit to West Virginia June 2 and has since taken trips to East Carolina and South Florida. He is a priority for the Mountaineers because he is simply a different body-type as a big interior lineman that is strong and can handle that role. He has said that a decision will come Aug. 10, but it wouldn't surprise me if he makes a choice sometime before that. The Mountaineers are pushing hard here for Gabriel.

--Springdale (Md.) Flowers 2024 cornerback Lloyd Irvin has taken official visits to West Virginia and Wisconsin and will head to Maryland this coming weekend. He is a long cornerback that the coaching staff likes a lot and is a player that they definitely would still take despite the number of commitments in the defensive backfield. I think the same can be said for Pittsburgh (Pa.) Bishop Canevin 2024 safety Jason Cross who has taken official visits to Syracuse and West Virginia. Both are impressive prospects. Both are expected to decide this summer.

--Another prospect that was blown away on his official visit was Cincinnati (Oh.) Taft 2024 safety Ja’Quan Bostic and despite the number of defensive backs already in this class, he remains squarely on the radar for the program. West Virginia is taking the approach of trying to find as many versatile defensive backs as possible in this class and restocking the cupboard. He has taken only one official visit to Morgantown and has a very strong relationship with ShaDon Brown. A decision is expected soon.

--Things are in a holding pattern for Savannah (Ga.) Jenkins 2024 pass rusher Lorenzo Cowan but he was very impressed with his official visit to Morgantown. There is definite interest there between him and the coaches but he wants to take his time to sort through things. He is at South Florida right now but is expected to take some more visits this fall. West Virginia is targeting him as an edge rusher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News