ADVERTISEMENT

Alec Baldwin says “let coal die”. Days later, he kills someone on set of his new movie.

Technology is killing coal. Technology has killed a lot of things. It's something we all have to get used to.

Is it a good thing? Absolutely. Unfortunately for some, it's not, but the same can be said for countless of other things, that put people out of business. I disagree with government forcing anything, because the private sector does it without government. Sure, certain regulations need to be in place, but government all too often overreaches.

Technology is a wonderful thing. I'm sure horse-drawn buggy manufacturers hated Henry Ford.

Coal is dying and nothing is going to stop it from happening.

Reactions: Airport
Technology is killing coal. Technology has killed a lot of things. It's something we all have to get used to.

Is it a good thing? Absolutely. Unfortunately for some, it's not, but the same can be said for countless of other things, that put people out of business. I disagree with government forcing anything, because the private sector does it without government. Sure, certain regulations need to be in place, but government all too often overreaches.

Technology is a wonderful thing. I'm sure horse-drawn buggy manufacturers hated Henry Ford.

Coal is dying and nothing is going to stop it from happening.
natural gas is cleaner and cheaper. But, I bet the loser liberals don't want that either

natural gas is cleaner and cheaper. But, I bet the loser liberals don't want that either
Its certainly a better option than coal as you said, but it should only be viewed as a transition to cleaner energies like wind and solar. Right now those technologies are too expensive to be fully viable options. Although, in several years that is going to change. The technology behind it is advancing at an incredible rate...both the efficiency of turning wind/solar into electricity and the amount of energy that batteries can store and for how long.

Right now the increase in efficiency is happening in 2-3% increments. There are companies out there now though that are testing technologies that can increase the efficiency by 50%. Therefore, cars will be able to run for longer. You don't have to wait as long to charge your EV battery. EVs are already becoming less expensive. And wind and solar is going to become very competitive with natural gas.

This ship has sailed. GM, Ford, Volkswagen, Mercedes, etc are only going to be selling EVs in 5-10 years. Coal is dead. Its not a debate. Its a fact.

Those involved in coal need to figure out what to do, or they'll be left behind.

Reactions: bamaEER
Its certainly a better option than coal as you said, but it should only be viewed as a transition to cleaner energies like wind and solar. Right now those technologies are too expensive to be fully viable options. Although, in several years that is going to change. The technology behind it is advancing at an incredible rate...both the efficiency of turning wind/solar into electricity and the amount of energy that batteries can store and for how long.

Right now the increase in efficiency is happening in 2-3% increments. There are companies out there now though that are testing technologies that can increase the efficiency by 50%. Therefore, cars will be able to run for longer. You don't have to wait as long to charge your EV battery. EVs are already becoming less expensive. And wind and solar is going to become very competitive with natural gas.

This ship has sailed. GM, Ford, Volkswagen, Mercedes, etc are only going to be selling EVs in 5-10 years. Coal is dead. Its not a debate. Its a fact.

Those involved in coal need to figure out what to do, or they'll be left behind.
Let me know when those alternatives are dependable . As long as govt are giving subsidies to buy cars that aren't really economical, they will continue to flourish. Hopefully, a new govt will make them stand on their own two feet.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
Let me know when those alternatives are dependable . As long as govt are giving subsidies to buy cars that aren't really economical, they will continue to flourish. Hopefully, a new govt will make them stand on their own two feet.
That's kind of like saying back in 1997 "let me know when those computers are dependable". Its just a matter of time. Its like changing the engine on a 747 while in flight...with the added complexity of a large part of the country opposed to it on political and not necessary factual concerns.

For me, I'll be damn happy when I stop paying ConEd every month for electricity, and when I have solar panels that power my entire house and EV, and can then actually make money by selling my excess energy or save it for them its more needed. That is where we're going, and coal is not in that equation.

Regarding the subsidies, are you OK w/ the subsidies that the government gives to farmers? The bailout of the financial, car and airline industries? Very few industries "stand on their own 2 feet".

LOL. Coal. I heard rotary phones are making a comeback too.
Your arrogance and ignorance is shown in this statement. Unlike the rotary phone, the companies making those phones continued on and their employees kept their jobs. Unlike coal, when the mines shut down, thousands lost their jobs, and the state of West Virginia has lost population and future generations of good paying jobs.

But, you won't see that your comparison was WAAAAYYYYY stupid.

Ok, inform the government to force manufacturers to locate plants in rural coalfields of WV......where there are no good roads, no good airports, and the infrastructure is sh!t.

But, yeah, it's the fault of the coal miners and their families that they get "left behind".

Last edited:
That's kind of like saying back in 1997 "let me know when those computers are dependable". Its just a matter of time. Its like changing the engine on a 747 while in flight...with the added complexity of a large part of the country opposed to it on political and not necessary factual concerns.

For me, I'll be damn happy when I stop paying ConEd every month for electricity, and when I have solar panels that power my entire house and EV, and can then actually make money by selling my excess energy or save it for them its more needed. That is where we're going, and coal is not in that equation.

Regarding the subsidies, are you OK w/ the subsidies that the government gives to farmers? The bailout of the financial, car and airline industries? Very few industries "stand on their own 2 feet".
You can buy solar panels now. You don't have to wait.

Are you prepared for the government to tell you how much you can make, what job you are to do, what docotrs to see and what age you should die?

No, I'm not in favor of any subsidies. If solar is so great, it will be when we run out of cheaper forms like coal, natural gas and nuclear, put them on your house. Nothing is any good if govt is paying you to use it. It's not economical. Do not cut your nose off in spite of your face. the US is cleaner now than it was in the 30-50's.

Ok, inform the government to force manufacturers to locate plants in rural coalfields of WV......where there are no good roads, no good airports, and the infrastructure is sh!t.

But, yeah, it's the fault of the coal miners and their families that they get "left behind".
So, you're arguments are obviously tied up in the fact you are married to coal, and either can't or aren't able to figure out what to do next. There is an option to convert these coal plants to carbon neutral plants, but Manchin w/ his pockets lined w/ coal money said no. There are options out there, but to do business as usual in the coal industry isn't one of them.

Whether you think my argument is valid is not relevant. What matters is the fact that clean energy is coming at you..the train has left the station, and you either jump on board or get run over and are left blaming Obama's "war on coal". The war on coal is the same as the war on VCRs. Its not a war. Its technological progress, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I have 2 Series A investments in private clean energy companies. I see the confidential data. The technology is advancing so ****ing fast your head will spin. You can't actually fathom it. One of them has focused on selling to churches. The church powers itself, and within 1-2 years has paid off the investment. In that time frame, they should be able to start not only powering the church but sale the excess power they store. Think after that the parishioners aren't going to want in?

Coal is dead.

So, you're arguments are obviously tied up in the fact you are married to coal, and either can't or aren't able to figure out what to do next. There is an option to convert these coal plants to carbon neutral plants, but Manchin w/ his pockets lined w/ coal money said no. There are options out there, but to do business as usual in the coal industry isn't one of them.

Whether you think my argument is valid is not relevant. What matters is the fact that clean energy is coming at you..the train has left the station, and you either jump on board or get run over and are left blaming Obama's "war on coal". The war on coal is the same as the war on VCRs. Its not a war. Its technological progress, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I have 2 Series A investments in private clean energy companies. I see the confidential data. The technology is advancing so ****ing fast your head will spin. You can't actually fathom it. One of them has focused on selling to churches. The church powers itself, and within 1-2 years has paid off the investment. In that time frame, they should be able to start not only powering the church but sale the excess power they store. Think after that the parishioners aren't going to want in?

Coal is dead.
No, you are ignoring the major obstacle that plagues the coalfields of southwestern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky. The infrastructure, the topography, the lack of other industry, those continue to be major hurdles that nobody seems to want to address when discussing "get rid of coal" or "coal is dead". When you have a population that live in that region, that relied on those coal jobs, and now they are gone and the infrastructure is still crappy (no investments going in to help that region "develop"), and the people have no choice but to LEAVE, then you are going to have a depopulated region that will result in less funding for schools, poverty, and habitual crime.

With your VCR comparison, you are again showing your ignorance. The companies that made VCR's turned to making DVD players. They still had jobs. They still had a life. It's not like they are shutting down coal mines, opening up "clean energy" in its place and employing the same miners that just lost their jobs.

Reactions: bigmac0924
Hopefully the assholes career is done after this.

Were they actually filming a scene or was he just being a jackass and horsing around with a gun....pointing it someone and pulling trigger?

If it was during a scene, you cant really fault him for this. They use real guns with blanks and have people in charge of safety.

However, if he was just goofing off and turns out its load then he should be charged with something.

I'm sure everyone here dad's said the same thing to all of us - never point a gun at something you dont want dead.

Also, you check every gun your handed and treat it as loaded until you know it isn't is, maybe the Hollywood Baldwin's werent raised right?

Coal is dead.
Let's hear the data or is it only for the wealthy??? Coal is probably dead in the US. However, China, India and North Korea(I believe) are going full blast with coal.

Were they actually filming a scene or was he just being a jackass and horsing around with a gun....pointing it someone and pulling trigger?

If it was during a scene, you cant really fault him for this. They use real guns with blanks and have people in charge of safety.

However, if he was just goofing off and turns out its load then he should be charged with something.

I'm sure everyone here dad's said the same thing to all of us - never point a gun at something you dont want dead.

Also, you check every gun your handed and treat it as loaded until you know it isn't is, maybe the Hollywood Baldwin's werent raised right?
Your point exactly. No excuse, you ALWAYS check to see if your gun is loaded-period!!

Reactions: Cheat Lake EER
Let's hear the data or is it only for the wealthy??? Coal is probably dead in the US. However, China, India and North Korea(I believe) are going full blast with coal.
Again, what these people don't understand is that we may cut our fossil fuel consumption, but if others don't, then we are only hurting ourselves because NOTHING changes environmentally.

I want to add, I like the idea of "clean energy". But the methods of obtaining it is the problem. For example, to control obesity rates, we should ban fast food restaurants and high fat foods and deny people the right to purchase/consume them. Who will that hurt? Well, the healthy individuals that may have jobs in those industries, that are providing for their families the best they can, who are now UNEMPLOYED and RELYING on government assistance.

Coal is dead.
Carbon neutral is another asinine term. Carbon credits. Just stupid.

You really don't know what you are talking about. You need to figure it out or you will be left behind.

Coal is dead.
Coal isn't dead. You just don't know WTF you are talking about.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL

Leftist propaganda at its finest. Gonna go out on a limb and guess you did not take any physics, chemistry, or other science classes during your days at WVU. To say solar and wind will come anywhere close to meeting our energy needs is to deny physics. Unless you are fond of brown outs and service interruptions.

One company is working on making batteries more efficient. They ran experiments prior to getting additional funding. So, they aren't real life examples, and even those results were off the charts. They are basically going to take a battery that is currently the size of a large beer can and reduce it to the size of a backgammon piece and make it more environmentally friendly while doing it. That way you can attach it to damn near anything. These batteries will be 10x smaller, last 20x longer and store the electricity for 5x longer. In addition, its not a lithium-ion battery. So, you don't have to worry about how to get rid of a brick of lithium, which is bad for the environment, when its dead after 5-10 years.

Company was valued at $5M, and is now going for a Series B at an eval of $100M. No government subsidies necessary. The idea that the coal industry doesn't get subsidies as well is silly. The valuations of these companies and the shareholder value they are going to provide will be an order of magnitude more than a coal company...many of which are loaded up w/ debt. A similar company just went public via a SPAC and is now valued at $10B. You get some scientists to work on this in WV instead of how to bring coal back, and then you'll have some real money in the state to buy WVU a national championship.

Here is a snapshot of the tech:

In April, the technical team prepared and successfully tested a
basic Phytocapacitor device (comprised of a single pair of Phytocapacitor electrodes) infused with a solid
polymer electrolyte material for enhanced electrical conductivity into/out from the electrodes. The test by
an independent battery-testing lab showed high performance characteristics for the device, despite it being
assembled by hand and loosely enclosed in a pouch (rather than tightly machine-packed in a hermetically-
sealed cannister for optimal electrical connectivity/conductivity between the components). For example:

• The single pair of Phytocapacitor wafers – similar in size/dimension to a stacked pair of backgammon
discs – achieved 55% higher voltage than an industry-leading supercapacitor the size of a large (“oil
can”) beer can.

• After 3,000 charge/discharge cycles (the lifespan of a typical lithium-ion battery), the crude device
showed only 25% capacity degradation, already much better than typical lithium-ion batteries, such that
a properly-configured and commercially-assembled Phytocapacitor product should achieve less than
10% capacity degradation at that charge/discharge-cycle milestone and should continue to perform
effectively for thousands of charge/discharge cycles beyond the usable life of lithium-ion batteries.

No, you are ignoring the major obstacle that plagues the coalfields of southwestern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky. The infrastructure, the topography, the lack of other industry, those continue to be major hurdles that nobody seems to want to address when discussing "get rid of coal" or "coal is dead". When you have a population that live in that region, that relied on those coal jobs, and now they are gone and the infrastructure is still crappy (no investments going in to help that region "develop"), and the people have no choice but to LEAVE, then you are going to have a depopulated region that will result in less funding for schools, poverty, and habitual crime.

With your VCR comparison, you are again showing your ignorance. The companies that made VCR's turned to making DVD players. They still had jobs. They still had a life. It's not like they are shutting down coal mines, opening up "clean energy" in its place and employing the same miners that just lost their jobs.
The other part of that is that nobody can afford cleaner energy alternatives. Natural Gas and clean coal technology is simply too cheap for green energy to surpass and both are cleaner than the Carbo footprint of the alternatives.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Leftist propaganda at its finest. Gonna go out on a limb and guess you did not take any physics, chemistry, or other science classes during your days at WVU. To say solar and wind will come anywhere close to meeting our energy needs is to deny physics. Unless you are fond of brown outs and service interruptions.
Not to mention solar and wind are dirtier than fossil fuels as a whole

I guess Liberals will be the ones making all the money off of their clean energy investments. I don't consider that cutting off one's nose.
You should have stopped a while ago when you were only looking a little stupid.

Not to mention solar and wind are dirtier than fossil fuels as a whole
No question. Mining of rare earths is done in third world countries with much of the work performed by child labor. I spent time in Africa and the human and environmental costs are something the left ignores. Solar panels have a shelf life and they are toxic waste. Ever see the windmill burial ground in Wyoming? Those massive windmill blades are just piled up and covered with dirt.

Sad to see so many fall victim to the green myth. They are just useful idiots for the real agenda which a full scale Marxist takeover of our country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT