ADVERTISEMENT

A little rant: Spent a few days in Mo'town....

bklyneer

All-Conference
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2004
Some of you know me and know that I spent 22 years in Mo'town before leaving for a once in a lifetime offer to move to SoCal. Though it was 7 years ago I am Mountaineer through and through. I even applied for a position to return to WVU last year but we couldn't make it work.

All that being said, I spent a few days in Mo'town visiting friends and family last week. I was shocked by the level of defeat I sensed from anyone associated with the University. I told some administrators that my son was touring WVU with an eye towards 'returning home'. Their response.... every one of them.... was "Why?"

I love WVU and I love Mo'town. The wife and I are considering moving back after retirement in a few years. The University has great facilities, in a great state, with absolutely fantastic people as students and faculty. Something needs to be done about the administrators at this university. They see this University as 'less than' and do not believe in the long term future. It is sad and I don't just mean Gee. It is down through the Provost and into Dean's offices.

The current admin think that they can cut their way to prosperity. They can't. You need to attract more students, at a higher academic profile, by creating programs that people across the country want to be part of. You need to attract AND RETAIN faculty that produce external funding by creating a business model that rewards achievement.

I love this University and I hate to see the state we are in, not just athletically, but as a community. Vernon once got upset with me because I was angry at a writer (not on this site) who degraded WVU. I have always believed in this place and the people who love it as much as I do. Even though V was upset that I attacked a writer he can attest to the fact that I was defending WVU (if he remembers who I am). Those of you that know who I am and were my students, friends, and colleagues, know how I feel about this place.

We deserve better. We need to demand better. I may not live in WV anymore, but I am WV Strong. We should expect our administration to be the same.

Sorry for the rant but it has been eating at me for a few days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News