ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
It feels so good to be 3 - 1 with wins over Pitt and TT. NB must be feeling cautiously optimistic that he keeps his job. The defense is playing very well. Yes, both Pitt and TT are offensively challenged without very good QB play, but holding them collectively to 19 points is unexpected, at least by me. Our CB's are better than I feared and our front 7 is the strength of this defense. We are running good blitzes and from different angles and positions. Makes it hard on the OL and RB's to pick up. Burks is on fire, making plays all over the field. Lathan is going to be a player. We finally have a couple of good athletes at ILB. And although the DL does not get a ton of movement up front, they play the gaps well and have limited big plays.

We are definitely winning ugly. If I had posted that Pitt and TT would hold us to a total of 37 points, my guess is that most on the board would have thought that we lose both games. Nicco is not playing terribly but he is not making many plays. Especially of the splash variety. It goes without saying that this is easily the worst WR corps in my memory at WVU. That makes it really tough on the running game. The OL struggled in the second half against TT. I don't know what it is but we struggle to run the ball on them. Against Pitt, we got very good push. Not so much yesterday. And we don't have the RB's to create lots of yards on their own.

The recipe seems to be to play good defense, run the ball, limit penalties and turnovers, eat clock and win ugly. That is fine with me but we are going to have to start to score it better to keep this up. I like our schedule. We have a chance to win 7 - 8 games if we keep our injuries down. We need Greene back and healthy again. I did think Nicco looked very good on our one scoring drive in the second half. In hind sight, it won us the game. If we had a few more play makers, it would be a lot easier, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News