ADVERTISEMENT

6 thoughts about the game and season so far ...

spartansstink

All-Conference
Sep 24, 2005
Try to wait until all the emotions of the game have died down to take a more analytical approach to what we all saw in this classic trap game...

1. There is no leadership on this team. This part isn't the coaches - this belongs to the players. The upperclassmen. There is no one getting up into people's faces and challenging their manhood. No one, on either side of the ball, waking people up. This game was over by the end of the first quarter and you can't wait until halftime to say anything to anyone. You can go back to being friends after the game. By the third series of the game, everybody in the stadium should have been watching the sidelines because players had to be pulled apart from getting at each other. Didn't happen and never does.
2. Tied into that is this - Brown needs to give up the offensive coordinator duties and be the head coach. He can't go and jump the defense's ass if he's too busy calling the next play. He can't bust Nester's chops for yet ANOTHER costly false start if he's trying to decide whether to go for it or kick a field goal. This was Dana's biggest downfall. Brown should learn from it and not worry about hurting feelings. You wanna transfer? Who'd want your sorry ass? Saban, Meyer, Kelley - they plan, they scheme, they motivate, they exude toughness, they win. They leave the calling to others. Brown should take the hint.
3. Doege played better, 25-33 for 320 or so. Actually hit some long balls. Had all day in the pocket for the most part. That being said, still... left a lot on the field. Missed seeing wide open receivers to throw check downs. Missed the big one though - an easy TD to a wide open Leddie Brown. I don't know how many of you remember Chuck Knoblauch. Used to play second base for the Yankees. One day, he got the yips and couldn't make the easy throw to first. A diving stop from his knees he could make the putout but couldn't make the routine throw. Never got over it. Ended up having to go to left field. Doege reminds me of Knoblauch - makes the difficult throw regularly but can't make the routine one. If you think about it, WVU is 3 routine throws by Doege from being undefeated right now.
4. Defense was sluggish, especially the first half. A step slow, catching everything instead of playing downhill, getting nickel and dimed down the field instead of challenging. Maybe there was a little too much homecoming celebration. Maybe they thought Tech couldn't possibly score on them. Maybe they read their press clippings about them being pretty good. They are - but not THAT good. Held them to 6 second half points but by then the damage was done. They HAD to play perfect to give the team a chance in the second half. Came close, but if that effort was there the first half, its a different ball game.
5. Brown has to do a better job with his timeouts. Never seen a team stall THEIR OWN drives with dumb timeouts. Ran in Greene in the first half only to have to call timeout because they couldn't get the play called. For Heaven's sake, run the play in with Greene. This is just one example of soooo many others. Trying to get cute only to not get lined up correctly or in time. This is killer, and a big problem the whole time Brown has been here.
6. Greene isn't the answer, folks. Teams have seen enough tape on him now to scheme for him. Brown tried to set up some passing plays for him yesterday and all of them were rollouts. That's because he's so short he can't see half the field if he stays in the pocket. This experiment failed. Great kid, tough as nails, gives you everything he's got. But, he's limited. Take Columbi, Tech's backup, where would we be if he was our number 2? Our number 1?
Finally, want to end with this. This team has no mean streak. No "I'm gonna slap you in the mouth and see how you like it" mentality. They've taken on the mentality of the coach - tough, hard-nosed, and for the most part disciplined. But no meanness at all. That has to change. If you think about it, since Brown's been here, we've been in about every game. Unlike with Dana, when there were blowouts either way, Brown has always kept the game within reach (that's both good and bad depending upon the opponent). However, when we need to score, or stop a score - we fold like a cheap umbrella. That's been Brown's legacy so far. Better find some mental toughness/meanness real quick or his stay could be real quick also.

Reactions: Volatility
Try to wait until all the emotions of the game have died down to take a more analytical approach to what we all saw in this classic trap game...

1. There is no leadership on this team. This part isn't the coaches - this belongs to the players. The upperclassmen. There is no one getting up into people's faces and challenging their manhood. No one, on either side of the ball, waking people up. This game was over by the end of the first quarter and you can't wait until halftime to say anything to anyone. You can go back to being friends after the game. By the third series of the game, everybody in the stadium should have been watching the sidelines because players had to be pulled apart from getting at each other. Didn't happen and never does.
2. Tied into that is this - Brown needs to give up the offensive coordinator duties and be the head coach. He can't go and jump the defense's ass if he's too busy calling the next play. He can't bust Nester's chops for yet ANOTHER costly false start if he's trying to decide whether to go for it or kick a field goal. This was Dana's biggest downfall. Brown should learn from it and not worry about hurting feelings. You wanna transfer? Who'd want your sorry ass? Saban, Meyer, Kelley - they plan, they scheme, they motivate, they exude toughness, they win. They leave the calling to others. Brown should take the hint.
3. Doege played better, 25-33 for 320 or so. Actually hit some long balls. Had all day in the pocket for the most part. That being said, still... left a lot on the field. Missed seeing wide open receivers to throw check downs. Missed the big one though - an easy TD to a wide open Leddie Brown. I don't know how many of you remember Chuck Knoblauch. Used to play second base for the Yankees. One day, he got the yips and couldn't make the easy throw to first. A diving stop from his knees he could make the putout but couldn't make the routine throw. Never got over it. Ended up having to go to left field. Doege reminds me of Knoblauch - makes the difficult throw regularly but can't make the routine one. If you think about it, WVU is 3 routine throws by Doege from being undefeated right now.
4. Defense was sluggish, especially the first half. A step slow, catching everything instead of playing downhill, getting nickel and dimed down the field instead of challenging. Maybe there was a little too much homecoming celebration. Maybe they thought Tech couldn't possibly score on them. Maybe they read their press clippings about them being pretty good. They are - but not THAT good. Held them to 6 second half points but by then the damage was done. They HAD to play perfect to give the team a chance in the second half. Came close, but if that effort was there the first half, its a different ball game.
5. Brown has to do a better job with his timeouts. Never seen a team stall THEIR OWN drives with dumb timeouts. Ran in Greene in the first half only to have to call timeout because they couldn't get the play called. For Heaven's sake, run the play in with Greene. This is just one example of soooo many others. Trying to get cute only to not get lined up correctly or in time. This is killer, and a big problem the whole time Brown has been here.
6. Greene isn't the answer, folks. Teams have seen enough tape on him now to scheme for him. Brown tried to set up some passing plays for him yesterday and all of them were rollouts. That's because he's so short he can't see half the field if he stays in the pocket. This experiment failed. Great kid, tough as nails, gives you everything he's got. But, he's limited. Take Columbi, Tech's backup, where would we be if he was our number 2? Our number 1?
Finally, want to end with this. This team has no mean streak. No "I'm gonna slap you in the mouth and see how you like it" mentality. They've taken on the mentality of the coach - tough, hard-nosed, and for the most part disciplined. But no meanness at all. That has to change. If you think about it, since Brown's been here, we've been in about every game. Unlike with Dana, when there were blowouts either way, Brown has always kept the game within reach (that's both good and bad depending upon the opponent). However, when we need to score, or stop a score - we fold like a cheap umbrella. That's been Brown's legacy so far. Better find some mental toughness/meanness real quick or his stay could be real quick also.

I'm just wondering about Crowder.

Strangely Crowder,
is positioned 3 , #3 on depth chart.

I've heard by a few that Crowder has best throwing motion.

Thanks for the 6, but why not QB Crowder?
Texas Tech uses many QBs.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Couldn't tell you. Maybe they think he's not quite ready yet for whatever reason. Lots of season left yet.

I'm just wondering about Crowder.

Strangely Crowder,
is positioned 3 , #3 on depth chart.

I've heard by a few that Crowder has best throwing motion.

Thanks for the 6, but why not QB Crowder?
Texas Tech uses many QBs.

Its just stubbornness. If Doege gives us the "best chance to win" and that means losing to TTU at home, then the season is lost. I think Garrett Greene is not the answer either, but I can't say this definitively like I can with Doege as he has not even had a quarter of a game experience to play. But again, if Doege is the best and Greene is not the answer, then put Crowder in there and give him some experience. I know Nicco is what everyone is high on and if he works out, then Crowder is a back-up at best and who cares about burning his redshirt. If Nicco comes in and is not the guy from the get go and needs a season or 2, then Crowder is the best option on the roster for that transition year next year.

Its just stubbornness. If Doege gives us the "best chance to win" and that means losing to TTU at home, then the season is lost. I think Garrett Greene is not the answer either, but I can't say this definitively like I can with Doege as he has not even had a quarter of a game experience to play. But again, if Doege is the best and Greene is not the answer, then put Crowder in there and give him some experience. I know Nicco is what everyone is high on and if he works out, then Crowder is a back-up at best and who cares about burning his redshirt. If Nicco comes in and is not the guy from the get go and needs a season or 2, then Crowder is the best option on the roster for that transition year next year.
I think all of that is on the table.

Think about it, this decision is as big for Brown as any he's had since he's been here. Say WVU loses next week and goes into the bye week at 2-4. Do you see 4 wins the rest of the way? Is another .500 season with Doege at the helm worth it? Do you take that bye week and say I'm going with Greene/Crowder the rest of the way and play for next year? Do you lose your team if you do?

Lots of things to think about if you're Brown. You've got potentially a lot more to lose than some games and the fan base but also a lot to gain for the future.

If Crowder doesn't play, he ought to transfer,in January.

Who in the heck,
wants to be 3td string on this depth chart.

Remember when David Sills blasted the texas student section with a "horns down" and Dana yelling, "wanna win the fvcking game? Let's go win the fvcking game," and Grier holding ball out taunting the defenders as he crossed the goal line?

Looking back, it's hard to believe WVU had that sort of swagger and excitement around its football team.

Agree with a lot of what you said... Even if we disagree on some perspectives, I can certainly appreciate you wanting to extract emotion for your analysis, definitely a welcomed member!

(NO emotion in typed text, dont misinterpret as me saying you are wrong or anything negative)

You dont make the Elite 11 by having quick feet. Greene has a quality arm, he just needs a bit more time to learn how o read defenses.

He's just a redshirt freshmen, with a drastically shortened true freshmen year, and didnt run a typical modern offense in HS or play 7vs7... There are many Pro-Bowl level QB's that cant see over the OL... Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, Drew Brees, etc.. Greene has a skillset to compensate for his height.

They'll just have to do a better job creating a scheme tailored to his skillsets & (pros+cons). Brown mentioned by playing two QB's, its hard to install two completely different offenses, which means the current offense is schemed for Doege, with subtle alterations for Greene. When its Greene's time, the entire offense will be developed for schemes & concepts specific to him and the skillsets of the other playmakers.

I personally feel, once Greene develops a bit more, and the offense is designed for him, the OL continue to develop(they are still very young), we will see a massive step forward in outcome consistency. Doege's limitations presents many limitations that allows DC's to pin their ears back and focus on Leddie, because they dont respect Doege's arm or his feet, which is why Leddie has not been very productive this year... When Greene is playing, Ive noticed it puts LB's in a position to have to choose, they are confused with delayed responses, which helps the running game. Because this helps establish the running game, this should help make Greene's passing a bit easier. BY having a high-end running game, established by a combination of Greene & Johnson+Anderson+Williams, this should organically open up the passing game, to reduce the # of reads needed for Greene to hit his mark.

This offense is still very young, the OL are mostly Freshmen & Soph, WVU has always been a developmental program that excels when they have a healthy # of upperclassmen on the field. Brown is resolving the talent issue via recruiting, but its going to take time for them to consistently produce at high level on field.

Dabo didnt win his 1st major bowl game until his 5th year. Didnt win his 1st Championship until his 9th year. Clemson was also FAR better positioned when Dabo was hired, compared to WVU when NB was hired. Dabo had a starting line that was 50 meters ahead of Brown's in a 800 meter race. Clemson had a healthy amount of talent on that team, and was already recruiting in the top 25 consistently.

The magnitude of change we seek is a 5 - 9 year process. Granted yesterdays performance was very poor, and there were obvious learning experiences to be spread all around, but close losses like what we have experienced this year is actually a sign of growth, compared to where we were when Grier graduated. Nothing but time will solve the majority of problems, as long as Brown continues to recruit well and to equally improve the schemes equal to the improvement of talent.

Im a strong supporter of Brown and there are many logical justifications for my support that have no association with homerism.. He inherited an absolute disaster, and to already be recruiting at the levels is an indicator of our future, as one the primary justifications is Brown & this staff are doing more with less, as this teams average recruiting ratings would put this team in the 70's... Which essentially means, we shouldnt even be competitive in many of these games, if you use recruiting ratings based expectations.. Clemson is a shining example of the fanbase being rewarded for their patience with an unproven P5 HC. Thats not to say we dont expect yearly progress & signs of improvement, or identify weaknesses & areas that need attention, or hold them accountable.

Reactions: BMG3
Remember when David Sills blasted the texas student section with a "horns down" and Dana yelling, "wanna win the fvcking game? Let's go win the fvcking game," and Grier holding ball out taunting the defenders as he crossed the goal line?

Looking back, it's hard to believe WVU had that sort of swagger and excitement around its football team.

That might be my favorite DH moment. Really thought it captured who he is as a coach.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Agree with a lot of what you said... Even if we disagree on some perspectives, I can certainly appreciate you wanting to extract emotion for your analysis, definitely a welcomed member!

(NO emotion in typed text, dont misinterpret as me saying you are wrong or anything negative)

You dont make the Elite 11 by having quick feet. Greene has a quality arm, he just needs a bit more time to learn how o read defenses.

He's just a redshirt freshmen, with a drastically shortened true freshmen year, and didnt run a typical modern offense in HS or play 7vs7... There are many Pro-Bowl level QB's that cant see over the OL... Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, Drew Brees, etc.. Greene has a skillset to compensate for his height.

They'll just have to do a better job creating a scheme tailored to his skillsets & (pros+cons). Brown mentioned by playing two QB's, its hard to install two completely different offenses, which means the current offense is schemed for Doege, with subtle alterations for Greene. When its Greene's time, the entire offense will be developed for schemes & concepts specific to him and the skillsets of the other playmakers.

I personally feel, once Greene develops a bit more, and the offense is designed for him, the OL continue to develop(they are still very young), we will see a massive step forward in outcome consistency. Doege's limitations presents many limitations that allows DC's to pin their ears back and focus on Leddie, because they dont respect Doege's arm or his feet, which is why Leddie has not been very productive this year... When Greene is playing, Ive noticed it puts LB's in a position to have to choose, they are confused with delayed responses, which helps the running game. Because this helps establish the running game, this should help make Greene's passing a bit easier. BY having a high-end running game, established by a combination of Greene & Johnson+Anderson+Williams, this should organically open up the passing game, to reduce the # of reads needed for Greene to hit his mark.

This offense is still very young, the OL are mostly Freshmen & Soph, WVU has always been a developmental program that excels when they have a healthy # of upperclassmen on the field. Brown is resolving the talent issue via recruiting, but its going to take time for them to consistently produce at high level on field.

Dabo didnt win his 1st major bowl game until his 5th year. Didnt win his 1st Championship until his 9th year. Clemson was also FAR better positioned when Dabo was hired, compared to WVU when NB was hired. Dabo had a starting line that was 50 meters ahead of Brown's in a 800 meter race. Clemson had a healthy amount of talent on that team, and was already recruiting in the top 25 consistently.

The magnitude of change we seek is a 5 - 9 year process. Granted yesterdays performance was very poor, and there were obvious learning experiences to be spread all around, but close losses like what we have experienced this year is actually a sign of growth, compared to where we were when Grier graduated. Nothing but time will solve the majority of problems, as long as Brown continues to recruit well and to equally improve the schemes equal to the improvement of talent.

Im a strong supporter of Brown and there are many logical justifications for my support that have no association with homerism.. He inherited an absolute disaster, and to already be recruiting at the levels is an indicator of our future, as one the primary justifications is Brown & this staff are doing more with less, as this teams average recruiting ratings would put this team in the 70's... Which essentially means, we shouldnt even be competitive in many of these games, if you use recruiting ratings based expectations.. Clemson is a shining example of the fanbase being rewarded for their patience with an unproven P5 HC. Thats not to say we dont expect yearly progress & signs of improvement, or identify weaknesses & areas that need attention, or hold them accountable.
I'm not one of those who's advocating for Brown to be let go. Love what he has done defensively and defense travels and wins championships. I feel that, in year 3ish, that side of the ball has and is making strides to get where they need to be.

As stated, Doege is limited and as such the offense is limited. But I feel your argument would be better suited towards Crowder being installed than Greene. Greene's been here for roughly a year and a half. Plenty of practice reps to know what his imitations and strengths are. What there isn't, for us fans, is game reps. Yesterday was the first time Brown allowed Greene to throw more than what is essentially a screen pass and he failed on both attempts - badly. Now, he's just as easily schemed against as Doege. It's basically this:

" Tough kid. Short in stature. Can't throw down field and must roll to see middle of field. Can run, but runs will be outside the tackles. When in game, pinch in and blitz to the edges. Fill the box and dare to throw".

Can't make a judgement on whether he can throw because we haven't seen it. Maybe he can, but until he does, no respect is given. Also, will add, if he could, he'd be the starter right now.

Let's see the silver lining. WVU lost by 6, 3 and 3 points. 15 more points and the Mountaineers would be undefeated. This is not a bad team. Just a team, despite its awesome defense, that barely can't overcome its Aw, Shucks offense, which shoots inself in the foot at critical times. It's not a terrible offense, just a terribly inconsistent one. Again, no blowouts in 5 games so this team can hang in there with anyone. And go on a winning streak if the offense becomes better than average, particularly in score-or-lose situations.

Reactions: Volatility

One of the greatest offensive teams at WVU and could only manage 8 wins. Shows you what a shit coach Dana was.

Let's see the silver lining. WVU lost by 6, 3 and 3 points. 15 more points and the Mountaineers would be undefeated. This is not a bad team. Just a team, despite its awesome defense, that barely can't overcome its Aw, Shucks offense, which shoots inself in the foot at critical times. It's not a terrible offense, just a terribly inconsistent one. Again, no blowouts in 5 games so this team can hang in there with anyone. And go on a winning streak if the offense becomes better than average, particularly in score-or-lose situations.
7 less points and they're 1-4....

Good response and dead-on.

Thank you Skip Bayless, but as Shannon Sharpe would say "we are a defensive stand away from being 1-4." And that came about because of an inexplicable INT when all we needed was a first down to cap the VPLies game.

Offense is responsible for 2-3 record. Period. Fix that and WVU can reel off a winning streak.
Did you ever pay attention to football when you carried the water out onto the field? Do you understand the game at all? Some of your comments don't even rise to the juvenile level.

After watching first half replay on TV:

WVU down 7-0 despite a defense that gave up yards begrudgingly and intercepted as Texas Tech pass inside the 10.

WVU offense goes 3 and out, gives Tech only half of the field to cover.

That’s completely on the offense.

Doege turns the ball over on the WVU 34. Defense yields yards begrudgingly but Tech finally scores. 14-0.

That’s complete on the offense. The defense was on the field all but 3 plays for 7-0 and only had 34-yard field go protect for 14-0.

Jarrett Greene got WVU to the TT 35 before 4th down play failed. False start by Frazier came at critical time. Greene running and handing off to Leddie Brown was WAY better than offense with Doege at QB.

After an exchange of punts the refs gave TT a first down on a pass play when went out of bounds 1 to 1.5 yards short of the marker. Even then, Red Raiders had to settle for a field goal and 17-0 halftime lead.

WVU offense finally got in gear to start the 3rd quarter and scored a TD with a long drive for a 17-7 game.

After 2 ankle-high incompletions to Leddie Brown by Doege WVU settles for a field goal to make it 17-10.

WVU offense drove down the field again for a TD catch by Ensdale. If offense played all season the way it did in the 3rd quarter then WVU would be undefeated. If offense plays rest of season the way it did in 3rd quarter then WVU can reel off a win streak.

The best Red Zone offense in America forced Tech to settle for a field goal and a 20-17 lead.

After another terrible pass to a wide open Leddie Brown in the end zone by Doege, WVU settles for a field goal and 20-20 game.

TT kicks field goal with 18 seconds left in the game, wins, 23-20. So WVU loses to Oklahoma to FG as clocks out in a game it never trailed till the end and to Red Raiders in final 18 seconds. This has to hurt.

15 more points in the season and WVU would be undefeated at 5-0.

WVU down 7-0 despite a defense that gave up yards begrudgingly and intercepted as Texas Tech pass inside the 10.

Doege turns the ball over on the WVU 34. Defense yields yards begrudgingly but Tech finally scores. 14-0.

That’s complete on the offense. The defense was on the field all but 3 plays for 7-0 and only had 34-yard field go protect for 14-0.

Jarrett Greene got WVU to the TT 35 before 4th down play failed. False start by Frazier came at critical time. Greene running and handing off to Leddie Brown was WAY better than offense with Doege at QB.

After an exchange of punts the refs gave TT a first down on a pass play when went out of bounds 1 to 1.5 yards short of the marker. Even then, Red Raiders had to settle for a field goal and 17-0 halftime lead.

WVU offense finally got in gear to start the 3rd quarter and scored a TD with a long drive for a 17-7 game.

After 2 ankle-high incompletions to Leddie Brown by Doege WVU settles for a field goal to make it 17-10.

WVU offense drove down the field again for a TD catch by Ensdale. If offense played all season the way it did in the 3rd quarter then WVU would be undefeated. If offense plays rest of season the way it did in 3rd quarter then WVU can reel off a win streak.

The best Red Zone offense in America forced Tech to settle for a field goal and a 20-17 lead.

After another terrible pass to a wide open Leddie Brown in the end zone by Doege, WVU settles for a field goal and 20-20 game.

TT kicks field goal with 18 seconds left in the game, wins, 23-20. So WVU loses to Oklahoma to FG as clocks out in a game it never trailed till the end and to Red Raiders in final 18 seconds. This has to hurt.

Minus 7 and WVU would be 1-4.

Reactions: Rootmaster

solving your number 7 point "meanness" might solve some of the others.

RR took 5 years to really hit his stride. Nehlen took 8 years to assemble the '88 team. However Nehlen went into Norman his 3rd year and upset Oklahoma. RR had WVU competitive against a national champion level Miami team at home and then beat a decent VT school on the road in his second year. Crushed a decent VT team at home his 3rd year and was an athletic miracle play away from beating Miami on the road. Overall this made for a positive outlook. Stewart took an offense loaded with weapons and made them toothless to the point that he couldn't win the hapless Big East despite a defense giving up less than 13 points per game. He then doubled down on that being okay. Holgorsen lost to Kansas and hobbled to a 4 win season in his 3rd year.

So, sure it's a building process, but that process should show some growth and improvement. I don't see much so far and not a single big win yet as VT is just not that good this year. I unfortunately see too many errors that can be traced back to coaching such as poor clock management. There's a reason I say year 3 is good year to start making judgements. Not that it's the final product, but that you should see a trend by then. Currently I see a good trend I'm the defensive side of the ball. I see a good trend in recruiting. I see an ugly trend on the offensive side of the ball with bland play calls and excessive presnap motion that is more trouble than it's worth. I see a lack of competitive strength and conditioning which has been lacking since RR's days. I see stubbornness from the coaching staff and the players having too much control like the coach is a friend rather than authority figure. Look at Huggins for the authoritative coach that generally still has players' respect. I see bonehead clock management and use of time outs.

Will it get better with Brown over the next 2 years? Most likely, even if its just better quality athletes on the field. Will Brown get the absolute most out of the players in the future and run such a tight ship as to compete for a play off spot, I have my doubts. I advocated patience as well, but 5 games into this 3rd season there is more evidence than not that this staff will not elevate the program beyond average. I could be wrong as nothing is 100%, but so far the trend shows that odds are I'm right and God knows I really want to be wrong.

RR took 5 years to really hit his stride. Nehlen took 8 years to assemble the '88 team. However Nehlen went into Norman his 3rd year and upset Oklahoma. RR had WVU competitive against a national champion level Miami team at home and then beat a decent VT school on the road in his second year. Crushed a decent VT team at home his 3rd year and was an athletic miracle play away from beating Miami on the road. Overall this made for a positive outlook. Stewart took an offense loaded with weapons and made them toothless to the point that he couldn't win the hapless Big East despite a defense giving up less than 13 points per game. He then doubled down on that being okay. Holgorsen lost to Kansas and hobbled to a 4 win season in his 3rd year.

So, sure it's a building process, but that process should show some growth and improvement. I don't see much so far and not a single big win yet as VT is just not that good this year. I unfortunately see too many errors that can be traced back to coaching such as poor clock management. There's a reason I say year 3 is good year to start making judgements. Not that it's the final product, but that you should see a trend by then. Currently I see a good trend I'm the defensive side of the ball. I see a good trend in recruiting. I see an ugly trend on the offensive side of the ball with bland play calls and excessive presnap motion that is more trouble than it's worth. I see a lack of competitive strength and conditioning which has been lacking since RR's days. I see stubbornness from the coaching staff and the players having too much control like the coach is a friend rather than authority figure. Look at Huggins for the authoritative coach that generally still has players' respect. I see bonehead clock management and use of time outs.

Will it get better with Brown over the next 2 years? Most likely, even if its just better quality athletes on the field. Will Brown get the absolute most out of the players in the future and run such a tight ship as to compete for a play off spot, I have my doubts. I advocated patience as well, but 5 games into this 3rd season there is more evidence than not that this staff will not elevate the program beyond average. I could be wrong as nothing is 100%, but so far the trend shows that odds are I'm right and God knows I really want to be wrong.

Bill Stewart was 28 - 12.

Bill Stewart and Company
helped stomp
Oklahoma in the Fiesta.

Doubtful - b12 would have even noticed West Virginia without that Fiesta BEAT DOWN of Oklahoma.

This that or whatever,
Back to Neal Brown the highest paid West Virginia football coach in WVU history - grade incomplete with ZERO Signature wins, Yet.

You are simply an insufferable boor. So you think you're the only one that watched the game? You are the the king of "would haves", "could haves", and "should haves" though. Squirrel.

Bill Stewart was 28 - 12.

Bill Stewart and Company
helped stomp
Oklahoma in the Fiesta.

Doubtful - b12 would have even noticed West Virginia without that Fiesta BEAT DOWN of Oklahoma.

This that or whatever,
Back to Neal Brown the highest paid West Virginia football coach in WVU history - grade incomplete with ZERO Signature wins, Yet.

Stewart did not win the Fiesta bowl. That was RR's team built from the ground up. All Stewart did was provide some levity to the team that already had all the pressure taken off by blowing the backyard brawl. All Stewart had to do was act as a cheerleader while the players let the muscle memory of all those repetitions and religious pounding of execution from RR take over. Or in other words, just relax and play free trusting all the practice from the year to flow without overthinking it. Also he let McGee actually call a few shots rather than running the safe zone reads over and over again.

Stewart inherited a great program and it significantly declined in his 3 years here. The roster of players wasn't bad, it was what he did with them that was lack luster. Holgorsen got his bowl win in similar fashion. Holgorsen inherited a talented roster with good football fundamentals already there. He then schemed a good way to use those player's talents. After that his weakness in recruiting players, instilling good football fundamentals, and maintaining discipline on the field was no longer compensated for and the program slid further. The two would actually have made a good HC combined as Stewart was good at getting players into the program and getting them investing in it while sucking at actually effectively using those players. Holgorsen was good at actually using talent, on the offensive side of the ball at least, but sucked at getting and developing that talent in the program.

In any event, Stewart's tenure outside of the Fiesta Bowl, which was much more on the previous coaching staff than him, was very underwhelming. 2008 lacked any real Marquee win and had 2 rather ugly losses against ECU and Colorado. 2009 was again without great wins, but understandable losses with the exception of the bowl game against a really subpar FSU team. 2010 was again no real Marquee win, but at least a valiant effort at LSU in a loss. However 2010 saw WVU almost lose to Marshall for the first time ever and then have utter garbage losses to Syracuse, UConn, and NC State that year. Note this was with a roster that included Stedman Bailey, Geno Smith, Tavon Austin, Noel Devine, Jock Sanders, Jeff Braun, Don Barclay, Najee Goode, Bruce Irvin, Scooter Berry, Chris Neild, JT Thomas, Keith Tandy. This was the year the WVU defense averaged only 12.75 points against during the regular season and never gave up more than 21 in any one of the 12 regular season games. So while Stewart's record looks decent, all of his wins were against teams that would be middle of the pack in the Big 12 and all of his losses save 1 were against teams of the same caliber or WORSE. So it wasn't that impressive and coming off the success and foundation of the 2005-2007 era it was downright bad.

Stewart did not win the Fiesta bowl. That was RR's team built from the ground up. All Stewart did was provide some levity to the team that already had all the pressure taken off by blowing the backyard brawl. All Stewart had to do was act as a cheerleader while the players let the muscle memory of all those repetitions and religious pounding of execution from RR take over. Or in other words, just relax and play free trusting all the practice from the year to flow without overthinking it. Also he let McGee actually call a few shots rather than running the safe zone reads over and over again.

Stewart inherited a great program and it significantly declined in his 3 years here. The roster of players wasn't bad, it was what he did with them that was lack luster. Holgorsen got his bowl win in similar fashion. Holgorsen inherited a talented roster with good football fundamentals already there. He then schemed a good way to use those player's talents. After that his weakness in recruiting players, instilling good football fundamentals, and maintaining discipline on the field was no longer compensated for and the program slid further. The two would actually have made a good HC combined as Stewart was good at getting players into the program and getting them investing in it while sucking at actually effectively using those players. Holgorsen was good at actually using talent, on the offensive side of the ball at least, but sucked at getting and developing that talent in the program.

In any event, Stewart's tenure outside of the Fiesta Bowl, which was much more on the previous coaching staff than him, was very underwhelming. 2008 lacked any real Marquee win and had 2 rather ugly losses against ECU and Colorado. 2009 was again without great wins, but understandable losses with the exception of the bowl game against a really subpar FSU team. 2010 was again no real Marquee win, but at least a valiant effort at LSU in a loss. However 2010 saw WVU almost lose to Marshall for the first time ever and then have utter garbage losses to Syracuse, UConn, and NC State that year. Note this was with a roster that included Stedman Bailey, Geno Smith, Tavon Austin, Noel Devine, Jock Sanders, Jeff Braun, Don Barclay, Najee Goode, Bruce Irvin, Scooter Berry, Chris Neild, JT Thomas, Keith Tandy. This was the year the WVU defense averaged only 12.75 points against during the regular season and never gave up more than 21 in any one of the 12 regular season games. So while Stewart's record looks decent, all of his wins were against teams that would be middle of the pack in the Big 12 and all of his losses save 1 were against teams of the same caliber or WORSE. So it wasn't that impressive and coming off the success and foundation of the 2005-2007 era it was downright bad.

Incorrect,
I guess everyone was worshipping
PRod as he left Morgantown with his "hair plugs on fire" to Ann Arbor.

Without Bill Stewart holding the team together,
(with Pat White, Owen Schmitt, & Steve Slaton - obviously) DOUBTFUL West Virginia even beats Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

Bill Stewart had to WIN the Fiesta, hire a new coaching staff, finish recruiting players like Tyler Urban and watch PRod gloat.

Bill Stewart was the Head Coach at
West Virginia while WVU stomped Oklahoma.

Yes
Bill Stewart was 28 - 12, additionally
stomped Oklahoma and WVU fan base ran off Bill Stewart.

Wonder if WVU would accept 28 - 12 under Neal Brown?

Incorrect,
I guess everyone was worshipping
PRod as he left Morgantown with his "hair plugs" on fire to Ann Arbor.

Without Bill Stewart holding the team together, (with Pat White, Owen Schmitt, & Steve Slaton - obviously) doubtful West Virginia even beats Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

Bill Stewart also had to hire a new coaching staff, finish recruiting players like Tyler Urban and watch PRod gloat.

Bill Stewart was the Head Coach at
West Virginia while WVU stomped Oklahoma.

Yes Bill Stewart was 28 - 12, additionally
stomped Oklahoma and WVU fan base ran off Bill Stewart.

Wonder if WVU would accept 28 - 12 under Neal Brown?

Incorrect because you say it is incorrect? Which is more likely to have led to WVU's success in the Fiesta Bowl? The 4 years of recruiting players along with 1 year of practice developing an identity and scheme? Or the handful of practices leading up to bowl? I'm not saying that without Stewart's leadership that WVU would have still won the Fiesta bowl. I'm saying that what he had to do in order to help WVU win that game was only a very small part of what a head coach must do to make a program successful. What do you have to say about Holgorsen given he took an already assembled roster coming off a terrible offensive campaign the year before and turned them into a mostly effective unit? It is very similar to Stewart taking an already assembled roster coming off a terrible showing the game before and getting a stellar performance out of them in a bowl game. Nothing you have said refutes the ultimate point which was that after the Fiesta bowl when the entirety of the program was under Stewart's control he failed to come close to replicating the success of the 3 years leading up to his hiring. And it wasn't for lack of talent on the roster as the 2011 campaign with Holgorsen, who is a worse coach than Stewart in my opinion, was better than Stewart's 3 years. Stewart had his good qualities and could produce average teams. However his good qualities were not enough to make up for his deficiencies if the goal was to have a program capable of producing a top 10 team once in a while.

Incorrect because you say it is incorrect? Which is more likely to have led to WVU's success in the Fiesta Bowl? The 4 years of recruiting players along with 1 year of practice developing an identity and scheme? Or the handful of practices leading up to bowl? I'm not saying that without Stewart's leadership that WVU would have still won the Fiesta bowl. I'm saying that what he had to do in order to help WVU win that game was only a very small part of what a head coach must do to make a program successful. What do you have to say about Holgorsen given he took an already assembled roster coming off a terrible offensive campaign the year before and turned them into a mostly effective unit? It is very similar to Stewart taking an already assembled roster coming off a terrible showing the game before and getting a stellar performance out of them in a bowl game. Nothing you have said refutes the ultimate point which was that after the Fiesta bowl when the entirety of the program was under Stewart's control he failed to come close to replicating the success of the 3 years leading up to his hiring. And it wasn't for lack of talent on the roster as the 2011 campaign with Holgorsen, who is a worse coach than Stewart in my opinion, was better than Stewart's 3 years. Stewart had his good qualities and could produce average teams. However his good qualities were not enough to make up for his deficiencies if the goal was to have a program capable of producing a top 10 team once in a while.

on 2nd blush, I scanned some of your comments and at least we did not exchange any insults - which very are rare, here.

Out of respect for you, I hope to read more closely and respond.

Something that know one realized
(or conviently chose to ignore) about Bill Stewart, Bill Stewart was PricRod's lead recruiter as RichRod decimated
remaining players from Don Nehlen years.
Bill Stewart was a 10 year WVU employee coach
before he got the Head Coaching Job.

28 - 12 hard to argue

I sure would like to see some of those average BS type teams and 9-4 records lol. Wvu fans are stupid and as a result we get saddled with DH failures and Kneel Clown.

Reactions: mofo
Fire WR, OL and QB coaches. Hire 1 OC a new OL coach and QB coach. If it fail's again next year then fire them all.
I do not agree with that... Look at Clemson. They have one of the best staffs money can buy, an offense made up of high-end 4 & 5 stars, and yet they too are struggling in year 13/14/15 or so of Dabo's regime.

The OL are very talented, but also very young. The QB is EXTREMELY limited. Brown & staff are still playing cards dealt. DC's are not afraid of Doege, they dont respect his arm or his feet, it allows Defenses to pin their ears back, & I think they use Brown's conservativeness against him too..

These are mostly talent & experience problems, there have certainly been learning experiences for the staff too, look around the P5, you dont see many successful programs that hire & fire every 3 years. The reason is it takes longer to fully implement the foundation. I didnt think Brown would be recruiting in the 20's until his 4th or 5th year, hes outperforming on multiple fronts. Time is our only solution..

These types of losses are a sign of growth, its certainly not good enough, and we definitely should have won, and I do think Brown needs to learn how + when to be more aggressive on offense, specifically when he has the talent & experience for that aggressiveness to be produce consistently. We have a good staff, the salary people make does not always determine their quality, just like a recruits rating does not determine his potential. The only position I would monitor closely would be our QB coach, but you cant blame him for a players lack of ability. I would wait to see how Greene, Crowder, & Nicco develop. Redshirt Freshmen, True Freshmen, & Senior, so MILES & MILES of player growth & development ahead for all of them... The good news, is the issues we have now are being resolved in recruiting, we just have to give them time...

I do not agree with that... Look at Clemson. They have one of the best staffs money can buy, an offense made up of high-end 4 & 5 stars, and yet they too are struggling in year 13/14/15 or so of Dabo's regime.

The OL are very talented, but also very young. The QB is EXTREMELY limited. Brown & staff are still playing cards dealt. DC's are not afraid of Doege, they dont respect his arm or his feet, it allows Defenses to pin their ears back, & I think they use Brown's conservativeness against him too..

These are mostly talent & experience problems, there have certainly been learning experiences for the staff too, look around the P5, you dont see many successful programs that hire & fire every 3 years. The reason is it takes longer to fully implement the foundation. I didnt think Brown would be recruiting in the 20's until his 4th or 5th year, hes outperforming on multiple fronts. Time is our only solution..

These types of losses are a sign of growth, its certainly not good enough, and we definitely should have won, and I do think Brown needs to learn how + when to be more aggressive on offense, specifically when he has the talent & experience for that aggressiveness to be produce consistently. We have a good staff, the salary people make does not always determine their quality, just like a recruits rating does not determine his potential. The only position I would monitor closely would be our QB coach, but you cant blame him for a players lack of ability. I would wait to see how Greene, Crowder, & Nicco develop. Redshirt Freshmen, True Freshmen, & Senior, so MILES & MILES of player growth & development ahead for all of them... The good news, is the issues we have now are being resolved in recruiting, we just have to give them time...
How succesful had WVU Oline been the past 3 years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT