ADVERTISEMENT

2014 vs 2023 Playoffs

Mustang.65

All-Conference
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2005
Brookfield, WI
I have been thinking about what happened in 2014 during the initial selection of the playoff teams. Comparing the 2023 College Football Playoff selection scenario to the 2014 selection has many similarities in how the selection committee might approach this decision.

In 2023, we have Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Washington, Florida State, and Michigan as the primary contenders.

Alabama and Georgia's Strong Records in the best conference the SEC. Both teams finished 12-1, with Alabama winning the SEC Championship against Georgia. This situation echoes the 2014 decision, where conference championships and head-to-head matchups were significant factors.

Texas' Victory Over Alabama should be considered Texas, also at 12-1 and winning their conference, just like in 2014, where head-to-head competition played a role.

Florida State's and Michigan's both had undefeated Records Both teams at 13-0 and conference champions present a strong case, although Florida State's schedule strength is questioned.

In 2014, the committee faced a tough decision between TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State. The key factors were:
Conference Championships Ohio State's win in the Big Ten Championship was a decisive factor, especially with a third-string quarterback leading a 59-0 victory.
Strength of Schedule Ohio State's tough schedule and dominant conference championship win helped their case.
Head-to-Head and Other FactorsbTCU and Baylor lacked a conference championship game, which hurt their cases.

The 2014 decision was heavily scrutinized and led to changes in the Big 12, emphasizing the importance of a conference championship game.

Applying the 2014 logic to the 2023 scenario:

Conference Championships and SOS should be major factors. Teams like Michigan. Washington and Florida State, with undefeated records and conference titles, have strong cases. Texas, with a win over Alabama and a conference title, also have a compelling argument.
Head-to-Head Results Alabama's win over Georgia could be pivotal, similar to how Ohio State's performance in the Big Ten Championship influenced the 2014 decision.
Subjective Evaluation**: The committee's subjective analysis of the "full body of work" of each team will play a crucial role, as it did in 2014.

The human element in the decision-making process, emphasizing conference titles, strength of schedule, and head-to-head matchups, will be critical in determining the final four teams.

In my IMHO based on my interpretation of what happened in 2014. Washington-Michigan 100% in…. Texas should be in based on winning the Big 12 and also beating Alabama. The one wildcard is FSU even though they are 13-0 they are down to their 3rd string QB. So in my mind down between FSU and or Bama.

Since Texas is going to be in SEC next year it could be argued that the SEC will be represented regardless. OK I am reaching with that statement.

Reactions: 82Mountaineer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News