WVU Release WVU's Terrell Chestnut Earns Third Annual Curtis Jones. Jr. Award

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Chestnut Earns Third Annual Curtis Jones. Jr. Award

West Virginia University football coach Dana Holgorsen has announced that redshirt-senior cornerback Terrell Chestnut is the recipient of the 2015 Curtis Jones, Jr., Achievement Award, named in honor of the late Curtis Jones Jr., an associate athletic director for academic support at WVU who died suddenly in September 2013.

“Curtis Jones always will be remembered for his contributions to the Mountaineer football program and the high expectations he placed on our student-athletes,” Holgorsen said. “This award is a perfect way to honor his memory and make sure people are aware of how important he was to West Virginia University, especially this football program.”

The Curtis Jones Jr., Achievement Award is presented annually to the Mountaineer football player who demonstrates excellence in all facets of his collegiate career, including academics, athletics and community service.

“Terrell Chestnut faced so much adversity with various injuries at the start of his WVU career, and instead of giving up, he became more determined to succeed,” Holgorsen said. “He finished his career as a two-year starter and was an outstanding team leader. He has shown you can do the right things in all areas of your life and be successful.”

Chestnut still remembers Jones and the example he set for the football program, as he was a member of the football team for more than two years under the direction of Jones as his academic advisor.

Chestnut, a Pottstown, Pennsylvania, native, graduated with his bachelor’s degree in sociology and anthropology in the 2015 summer and is currently majoring in legal studies.

“It is a privilege and honor to win this award; this really means a lot to me,” Chestnut said. “Curtis was an exceptional person, who was an example to us and displayed so much positivity. I remember his attitude and character rubbed off on all of us, and we always tried to emulate the way he was and what he stood for.”

Brady Rourke was hired as the associate athletic director for student-athlete development at WVU in May of 2014, taking over the position previously held by Jones and served as one of the key selectors of this year’s recognition.

“Curtis Jones remains well respected in the student-athlete development profession,” Rourke said. “His positive impact continues to shape the lives of student-athletes and staff who knew him. This award recognizes a WVU football student-athlete who embodies the character attributes Curtis inspired student-athletes to possess.

“Leadership, hard-work, commitment, perseverance, focus and determination - Curtis would be proud of Terrell Chestnut. He is an everyday champion. His steady demeanor, no-quit attitude, maturity, and presence are the recipe for lifelong success. Terrell will use the lessons learned from Curtis and others to inspire many people to maximize their potential on and off the field.”

Giving back to the community has been Chestnut’s biggest mission. Among his many undertakings, he gives food to homeless people, visits patients at the WVUChildren's Hospital and even cooks at the Ronald McDonald House. He has spent time encouraging children to be active and exercise daily, talks to high school students about staying away from drugs and alcohol and the importance of getting an education.

“I want to inspire and help others like others did for me when I was young,” Chestnut said. “When I first came to college, I was selfish and only thought of myself. Through all the adversity, I was able to do a complete 180 and put others in front of myself. It was then, when I started to live that way, good things came to me and I was able to be successful.

“It makes me appreciate things a lot more and never take things for granted. When you go out of your way to help others, it gives you an unbelievable feeling; It becomes a part of your life.”

He appeared in 40 career games, recording 86 total tackles, including two tackles for loss, four interceptions, 20 pass breakups, three forced fumbles and one fumble recoveries. As a senior in 2015, Chestnut finished with 35 tackles, including 31 solo stops, a tackle for loss, three interceptions, 11 pass breakups and two forced fumbles. He forced and returned a fumble for a touchdown against TCU as a junior and returned an interception for a touchdown at Kansas as a senior.

Rourke looks forward to future student-athletes who will follow in Chestnut’s footsteps, and carry themselves in the proper way, impacting those around them.

“It is tremendous that the football program honors Curtis this way, recognizing the student-athlete. It carries on his legacy,” Rourke said. “Young student-athletes will look at that award list and think how they can earn that award. Terrell has helped set that standard.”

Chestnut is the third recipient of the Curtis Jones Jr. Award. Wes Tonkery claimed the inaugural award in 2014, and Jared Barber was honored in 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT