ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD WVU vs. Utah: Heart of Dallas Bowl

I like Holgs as a coach, ......this team was unprepared to compete, pure and simple
It's on the coaches. That was embarrassing!
I got a lot of "neer" swag for Xmas won't wear it until the bb team wins a big 12 game

The outlook wasn't brilliant for the Mudville nine that day;
The score stood four to two, with but one inning more to play,
And then when Cooney died at first, and Barrows did the same,
A pall-like silence fell upon the patrons of the game.

A straggling few got up to go in deep despair. The rest
Clung to that hope which springs eternal in the human breast;
They thought, 'If only Casey could but get a whack at that-
We'd put up even money now, with Casey at the bat.'

But Flynn preceded Casey, as did also Jimmy Blake,
And the former was a hoodoo, while the latter was a cake;
So upon that stricken multitude grim melancholy sat,
For there seemed but little chance of Casey getting to the bat.

But Flynn let drive a single, to the wonderment of all,
And Blake, the much despisèd, tore the cover off the ball;
And when the dust had lifted, and men saw what had occurred,
There was Jimmy safe at second and Flynn a-hugging third.

Then from five thousand throats and more there rose a lusty yell;
It rumbled through the valley, it rattled in the dell;
It pounded on the mountain and recoiled upon the flat,
For Casey, mighty Casey, was advancing to the bat.

There was ease in Casey's manner as he stepped into his place;
There was pride in Casey's bearing and a smile lit Casey's face.
And when, responding to the cheers, he lightly doffed his hat,
No stranger in the crowd could doubt 'twas Casey at the bat.

Ten thousand eyes were on him as he rubbed his hands with dirt;
Five thousand tongues applauded when he wiped them on his shirt;
Then while the writhing pitcher ground the ball into his hip,
Defiance flashed in Casey's eye, a sneer curled Casey's lip.

And now the leather-covered sphere came hurtling through the air,
And Casey stood a-watching it in haughty grandeur there.
Close by the sturdy batsman the ball unheeded sped-
'That ain't my style,' said Casey. 'Strike one! ' the umpire said.

From the benches, black with people, there went up a muffled roar,
Like the beating of the storm-waves on a stern and distant shore;
'Kill him! Kill the umpire! ' shouted some one on the stand;
And it's likely they'd have killed him had not Casey raised his hand.

With a smile of Christian charity great Casey's visage shone;
He stilled the rising tumult; he bade the game go on;
He signaled to the pitcher, and once more the dun sphere flew;
But Casey still ignored it, and the umpire said, 'Strike two! '

'Fraud! ' cried the maddened thousands, and echo answered 'Fraud! '
But one scornful look from Casey and the audience was awed.
They saw his face grow stern and cold, they saw his muscles strain,
And they knew that Casey wouldn't let that ball go by again.

The sneer has fled from Casey's lip, his teeth are clenched in hate;
He pounds with cruel violence his bat upon the plate.
And now the pitcher holds the ball, and now he lets it go.
And now the air is shattered by the force of Casey's blow.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and little children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville- mighty Casey has struck out.

Ernest Lawrence Thayer

Dead serious....I watched poor tackling and blown coverage all year.....if you think Gibson is doing a fine job, you have been watching different games than me.

You are correct, no coach on this team is worth minimum wage. Today's performance after 4 weeks of preparation for a Pac-12 bottom feeder team after SEVEN years on the job is unacceptable by any measure. We have the wrong coaches and outside of a few recruits, I don't think much of any of the players as far as their skill and abilities are concerned. With the right coach and staff some of these guys could be something, but under this program, they are headed to jobs in whatever degree they chose.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
You are correct, no coach on this team is worth minimum wage. Today's performance after 4 weeks of preparation for a Pac-12 bottom feeder team after SEVEN years on the job is unacceptable by any measure. We have the wrong coaches and outside of a few recruits, I don't think much of any of the players as far as their skill and abilities are concerned. With the right coach and staff some of these guys could be something, but under this program, they are headed to jobs in whatever degree they chose.

Another couch coach. I’m not saying Dana is a good coach. I’m just saying you don’t know. Just cause you don’t like him doesn’t make him a bad coach. And neither does losing a couple of bowl games. Nehlen lost a bunch and so did rich rod. Harbaugh was a genius then lost 3 or 4 games at Michigan and now he is marginal? Meyer didn’t make the playoffs and is now past his prime? Cmon man

Another couch coach. I’m not saying Dana is a good coach. I’m just saying you don’t know. Just cause you don’t like him doesn’t make him a bad coach. And neither does losing a couple of bowl games. Nehlen lost a bunch and so did rich rod. Harbaugh was a genius then lost 3 or 4 games at Michigan and now he is marginal? Meyer didn’t make the playoffs and is now past his prime? Cmon man

My personal feelings have nothing to do about Dana. I did not like RR either but he was ten times the coach Dana could be. I liked Bill, but it was obvious the man would be pressed to be a good high school. I liked Don and he had his good years and bad, but I never once thought he did not have in him to go all the way. Dana is never going all the way.

I do not care about other coaches and their success or lack thereof at other universities. Envy is not something with which I am cursed. I want a coach that has a plan, shows marked improvement every single year and we reach benchmarks as preliminary rewards towards an NC game run.

This game against Utah showed that our team has no leadership, no plans, no sense of urgency to do anything but phone it in. I again ask everyone, what does TCU have that WVU does not? As much as those that hang onto their Texas Teets, TCU has never been anything but a pimple in college football history and they make WVU look like Rutgers in the Big-12. I want a coach that understands this, has the skill set to do something about it and the drive to make sure he either gets us there or gets out of our way.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
The problem I saw in the bowl game is the same problem I saw most of the year even in most of our wins--we're soft. Even at 7-3 I thought this was the softest team, both mentally and physically, I ever remember seeing. I don't recall WVU corners avoiding contact before this year. I know they're young but I don't remember WVU D-lines getting pushed around like this since Coach Nehlen's last team. Chugs got sacked a few times and hit a few times and that was it. He was shaken the rest of the game. I don't care how much talent we have returning or coming in. We may win a lot of games next season but we're not winning any championships if we're this soft next year.

Utah is very equal to Purdue.......talent and overall.........and the Arizona-Purdue game compared to the WVU-Utah game........I think you could see which one had a "coach" and which one didn't.

Purdue lost to Rutgers (4-8) and Nebraska (4-8).

Utah lost to Stanford by 3 points, USC by 1 point, Arizona State (7-5), Oregon (7-6), WSU (9-3) and Washington (10-2) by 3 points.

No, Utah isn't Purdue. Not even close.

Utah is much better than Purdue. It’s always comical when people want to say that drod>holgs they are one of the same. Very average in a real P5 Conference.

Utah lost to Stanford by 3 points, USC by 1 point, Arizona State (7-5), Oregon (7-6), WSU (9-3) and Washington (10-2) by 3 points.

Reactions: ChattanoogaEER
Super Greg.............calm down. The statement above reflects what you 'thinks'. Not what you 'knows'. Warez

That’s where the two of us are different. I played so I know it. You didn’t so of course you don’t.

That’s where the two of us are different. I played so I know it. You didn’t so of course you don’t.

Grego.......ole Warez has played it all. For your info.......I was all pro for 5 years running in the NFL. I also played pro basketball where I made the all tourney team 6 times. Of course you can't match up to ole Warez but that's all right. By the way, I still ain't no expert! Warez

Grego.......ole Warez has played it all. For your info.......I was all pro for 5 years running in the NFL. I also played pro basketball where I made the all tourney team 6 times. Of course you can't match up to ole Warez but that's all right. By the way, I still ain't no expert! Warez

You’re a band geek that yelled really loud in high school and college for us. Thank you for your service.

Why don't you look at the Pac 12's bowl record so far. They have only won one bowl game and who was that against? Look at the big 10's bowl record. BTW the pac 12 team that won its bowl game only ended up in that game because the big 10 didn't have enough eligible bowl teams.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT