WVU Release WVU spring practice quotes from players and coaches -- 4/9/16

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Spring Practice Update

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (April 9, 2016) – West Virginia University assistant coaches and select members of the West Virginia University football team met with the media on Saturday, April 9, at the Milan Puskar Center Team Room.

Assistant coach (offensive coordinator/fullbacks/tight ends) Joe Wickline

On the importance of the experience of the offensive line

Well the first thing is that you have some guys that obviously have played. Anytime you are associating with any group, whether it be secondary or kickers or quarterbacks or line. It’s really important, obviously. They have been around. They have been in the battle, and they kind of understand it. They are older. Especially this bunch. They have done a really nice job. The second thing is that I think we have some key depth. I have said this before (assistant coach offensive line) coach (Ron) Crook and the coaching staff have done an excellent job recruiting. We have some key players that are going to challenge for starting jobs, for what I call a third guard or what (assistant coach (offensive Line) coach (Ron) Crook would call a third tackle or second center. The issue is we have guys that compete, if someone gets hurt or b, if we want to rotate guys, and then c, just make the guys up front as good as they can be, or they won’t be there. The best man plays.

On redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Yodny Cajuste

He is doing a good job, kind of uneventful. He kind of handles his business and the strength staff have done a great job with him, with his flexibility and his strength. Coach (director, strength and conditioning) (Mike) Joseph and his staff, I firmly believe that they are the best crew there is, downstairs. Our strength coaches do a great job, and you can see some of the things he’s got. That being said, he is a guy who is always willing to learn. He is always interested in getting better. I love his questions, and I can see it carry over on him. Anytime you have a player, anywhere you are, that make mistakes, and we coach them, correct them and clean them up. You can see it on tape the next day. It is important to him to make a difference on getting that corrected.

On inexperience at the tight end position

I think I see some physicality. In this conference, I know Oklahoma State had a really nice tight end last year, and of course West Virginia, Cody (Clay), had a great tight end last year. As tight ends go in the Big 12, I think they measure up. I really do. I think from a physical standpoint, they are tall enough. They are long enough. They run well. They are strong. I say with the coach downstairs, they can’t help but be strong, and the biggest thing about that bunch, is that they are eager. All of them. They are eager. They know where they fit. They know the formations that they fit in, and systematically they are doing a nice job. They are eating it up, and they come early to watch tape. They are wanting to get better. I am impressed with those guys.

Assistant coach (offensive line) Ron Crook

On how the WVU offensive line prepares going against an experienced WVU defense line that disguises plays

Our defense does a really good job of hiding blitzes, twists and all kinds of things. The good thing, is our offensive line has some depth and some older guys. Our defense never makes it easy on us. Sometimes I think they have 13 guys out there, because they’re all over the place. It’s a good thing going against them though, because it’ll help us out later down the road.

On the communication of the offensive line

I think it’s good, we stress communication all the time. We sometimes like to over communicate to make sure everyone’s on the same page. There are sometimes in our offense that we can’t communicate, because of tempo and things like that, but when we can, we slow it down and make sure everyone is pointing things out.

On finding combinations on the offensive line

We’re moving guys around a lot. (Redshirt senior offensive lineman) Tony (Matteo) has moved in and played center. (Redshirt sophomore offensive lineman) Amanii (Brown) has moved in and played guard. (Redshirt junior offensive lineman) Kyle (Bosch) and (redshirt freshman offensive lineman) Colton (McKivitz) have bounced around some with different groups. We’re going to continue to try and develop those guys and get them used to playing alongside different people. That’s stuff that you can do when you have depth during the spring. Then you know when you get to the season what guys can do and what they can’t do if a guy goes down or something like that. This time of the year is when you really start to see something like that and learn more about your guys.

Assistant coach (wide receivers) Tyron Carrier

On his initial impressions of the wide receiving group

We’re great. We’re kind of banged up right now, but the potential is through the roof. We have a bunch of guys who are willing to learn and want to be great. That’s the important thing, they want to be great.

On the process leading to his hiring at WVU

He (head coach Dana Holgorsen) knew I had left Baylor and knew I was looking for a job. I played in his offense, and I did very well in it. To me, it was an easy hire for him. He knows what I know, because he taught me.

On the opportunity of being a wide receivers coach at a Big 12 institution

It’s a great opportunity. A lot of guys don’t get this. I know I’m interviewing for a lot of guys right now. I’m up for the challenge and ready to do whatever I can to get these guys better.

On his experiences as a graduate assistant at Baylor and how it has taught him

I learned a lot coaching those guys from a different point of view. Working with that coaching staff was great. I had fun. I had a lot of fun.

On his relationship with head coach Dana Holgorsen

He’s honest and straight forward. I like that a lot as a player. You never had to wonder what he felt or what he believed about you. I try to be that way with my guys, brutally honest is what I like to call it. Hopefully that works, if not I’ve got to find another method. But it’s working so far.

On his ability to coach by example because of his younger age and talent

I try not to. They were a little shocked today, I did a couple of drills with them. They all said things like “wow coach, you’ve still got it.” I’ve still got it.

On the traits of the receivers in comparison to him

A lot of them have that twitch that I had. They want to be great. That’s the most important thing. Once you establish that you want to be great, it’s easy for a coach to get a guy to that level. The first step of being able to pick up speed really fast. It’s when you’re running full speed and are able to stop and put on the brakes. A couple guys have that.

Assistant coach (defensive coordinator/linebackers) Tony Gibson

On what he’s seen out of redshirt junior linebacker Al-Rasheed Benton

I think Al (-Rasheed Benton) is doing a really good job of being a leader over on the defensive side. He’s a kid who’s very smart. He understand the whole scheme. What he has different than any of the other linebackers, is he started in games. He has experience of doing that. Love the way he’s been progressing. He’s getting better and understanding what we need. He’s helping a lot of the other guys out as well.

On if that was something he was looking for, a guy to step up and lead at linebacker

Yes. (Redshirt senior linebacker) (Justin) Arndt is a guy who I think is doing that as well. He’s played a lot of football for special teams, and Xavier Preston has done it. (Redshirt senior linebacker) Sean (Walters) has done it on special teams too, but he’s (Justin Arndt) kind of the guy who’s taking charge right now and making all our calls and checks. Again, I like the way he’s progressing.

On what he likes about redshirt senior linebacker Justin Arndt

Everything. The way he prepares. The way he plays. I don’t know if you got to see it today, but he hit a 265-pound tight end in open field. It brought every bit out of him. He’s a kid that comes out and plays every single day. He’s a guy that is proud to wear that WV on his helmet. It means something deeper to him than it does to some of the other guys.

On what his confidence level is with redshirt senior linebacker Justin Arndt and redshirt senior linebacker Sean Walters

A lot of confidence in both of them. A lot of things happen to kids when they become seniors. I can see that transformation right now in both of those guys as their care level. Not that they haven’t cared before, but they know now this is their last shot, and they have an opportunity to compete and win a job. Just love the way both of them have been playing at this time. Hopefully they’ll continue to get better with six more practices.

Assistant coach (safeties) Matt Caponi

On junior safety Dravon Askew-Henry being the face of the secondary without Daryl Worley, Karl Joseph and KJ Dillon

He’s increasing his leadership role. He’s not really a big rah-rah guy, but when he talks, guys will listen. I put him on most of the guys in the room. Having some experienced guys back, (junior safety) Dravon (Askew-Henry), (junior safety) Jeremy (Tyler) and (redshirt senior safety) Jarrod (Harper), - we want them to take more of a leadership role and to get the guys going on defense every day. That’s something that has stuck out with (junior safety) Dravon (Askew-Henry). Obviously he knows the scheme. You know, being a three-year starter now, he understands everything and helps the younger guys. He’s being a leader for the entire defense.

On if junior safety Dravon Askew-Henry helped him at all with learning the scheme

I think everyone helps each other out. Most of the stuff, scheme wise, I’ve been familiar with it, but the little things here and there, as far as I control and certain things that he had learned, we talk back and forth a lot and can compare things. It helps out a lot to have a guy with that much experience.

On the inexperienced players and how he sees his group stepping up

There’s very limited film to study on some of those guys. So it’s almost starting from square one with learning new things, but I demand effort and focus. We talked about it today, the last few practices we’ve kind of started slow but finished strong. It’s just getting that mentality and flipping that switch every day that we go out and step between those lines and practice the way that we’re supposed to practice for the entire course of the two hours. We have experience back, but as far as production it’s something that we have to pick up. It’s just getting those guys tuned in and trying to make plays in the spring, and then see what they need to work on going into the fall camp, that’s going to make us produce.

Assistant coach (cornerbacks) Blue Adams

On the time when he knew he wanted to become a football coach

I was always kind of a gym rat if you will. First of all, I wasn’t as talented as I may have thought I was, so I had to always continue to do things, keeping an edge. One of those things where just the extra film studying, the extra drills. Those types of things. I was always in the office. I wouldn’t say more than the other, but I kind of grew into that coach as a player, being efficient as far as skill set. I was always a coach.

On any mentors who have helped him along the way

Man, there are so many mentors. There’s a lot of guys who have helped me along the way. A lot of guys that my coaching style has kind of evolved from. There’s a ton of guys.

On the personnel so far

I’m impressed by the level of work that these guys have put in this far. We’re continuing to take steps, which is important. I like the guys that I have. I’m excited for the new guys who are coming in, only because it gives me more options to work with. As far as the guys who are on campus right now, I’m enjoying them. They’re doing a really good job and working every day. Day in, and day out. We’re going to continue to search for the celling.

On redshirt senior cornerback Antonio Crawford having the physical tools and where else he needs to go mentally to hone in

I would say not only just him but every guy. Just continue to take that next step. I think we’re going to get better the longer we play together. I think every guy, as long as they come in and get better on a day in and day out basis, I think we’ll be fine.

Redshirt senior offensive lineman Adam Pankey

On the impact of doing different drills this spring

I think it slows things down a little bit for us, so we can really break down the basic techniques of what is going on. We can get our steps all the way right, so there is no confusion when we get to team, and you know your assignment. It’s just a little bit harder drilling, but it’s just breaking it down for us a little bit easier.

On differences in coaching styles between Assistant coach Joe Wickline and Assistant coach Ron Crook

I don’t know so much about differences, but I know (assistant coach (offensive coordinator/fullbacks/tight ends) (Joe) Wicks (Wickline) is working more with tight ends and tackles. The technique to working with the tackles gets a little bit switched up, but it is all good fundamental stuff. He brings his own thing to the table. He has a lot of knowledge about the game. He is definitely helping us out a whole lot.

On technique differences between guard and tackle

There is no real difference. It is always about your first step. Where you are going, getting to where you need to be. Where your hat is, and getting play side, which is usually the biggest thing that is harped on. It has been harped on ever since I have been here, so it’s a lot of the same.

Redshirt junior tight end/fullback Elijah Wellman

On the differences from last year to this year

It is pretty much the same. Today they are moving us around a little bit, giving us different looks. Like I was telling him (referring to another reporter) it makes the fullback stick your head in there, and grinding a little bit easier than what it has been because you have to wrap your head around a few other things, like running the ball and catching passes in the flat.

On lining up as a receiver in practice

We were working on a few things, and giving a few guys a break. That is about all it is.

On if his role in the offense has changed

Not really much at all. They will hand me the ball here and there, but it has pretty much stayed the same, to just stick my nose in there and block for the guys behind me. I really enjoy that.

On depth at the fullback position

(Redshirt sophomore tight end/fullback) (Michael) Ferns has really come a long way, He and I have really buddied up, playing the couple of positions that we play. I feel like he has matured. He is really forming into a good player and learning the simple stuff about being a tight end/fullback type of guy. He’s a tough guy, just like me. We enjoy playing with each other too.

On moving around in the offense

It is definitely more exciting, like I was saying. You get excited to move around and do some new stuff. Then once you go back to the regular fullback stuff, it’s not as built up as it seems. It’s a lot simpler once you go back to the normal stuff that you have been doing.

Senior wide receiver Daikiel Shorts Jr.

On the recent addition of Assistant Coach (Wide Receivers) Tyron Carrier

He is pretty young. He played the game, and he was a pretty good player. He knows a lot and he’s just teaching us the little things about our pad level and sticking the routes. We’re getting better.

On how Assistant Coach (Wider Receivers) Tyron Carrier’s young age relates to players

It’s definitely easier, especially with someone that played your position and is younger in age. He’s easy to talk to and ask about things. He helps us out a lot.

On his potential role as a feature receiver in the 2016 WVU offense

It’s definitely something I would like to be. I just have to come in each day and work and get better. We are all competing trying to pull things together and get this team going.

On how the WVU offense is coming together

It’s clicking, there are some little things that we need to go over. There’s always some things to work on, but we should be pretty good.

Sophomore wide receiver David Sills

On splitting time with the quarterbacks and wide receivers

Well right now I am in the quarterback room, learning the offense and the view of a quarterback, but I am playing receiver as well. We are kind of short on depth right now at (wide) receiver, so I’m helping out the X’s and the Z’s when they need a rest or something like that, so I am in the quarterback room right now. I’m getting reps at quarterback, going to individual with the quarterbacks, and doing routes on air with the quarterbacks. When we get to seven-on-seven, I do quarterback stuff and receiver stuff as well, same way with team.

On specializing in a specific position

Well, right now, I am working hard at both positions. My heart is at quarterback. That is what I want to do. That is what I came here to play. I am trying to keep getting better and better at the quarterback position, but I am also trying to help the team, be a better team and help them at receiver.

On the differences from last spring to this spring

Last spring coming in early, my head was spinning. Just taking quarterback reps, it didn’t feel comfortable, getting the offense and everything like that. (Head coach) coach (Dana) Holgorsen was giving me signals, and it was just running through my head. I was just trying not to mess up. This spring I can settle down a little bit and play and not have to think as much. Going in and playing receiver, is fun because I get to always be on the field, and I don’t really have to be on the sidelines that much. So just going on the field and helping the team out.

Redshirt senior defensive lineman Christian Brown

On who he has seen step up in the nose position

At the nose, I’ve seen (senior defensive lineman) Darrien Howard, (redshirt sophomore defensive lineman) Jaleel Fields and we have (redshirt junior defensive lineman) Xavier Pegues. He’s doing pretty well. (Redshirt freshman defensive lineman) Adam Shuler (II) and (freshman defensive lineman) Reese (Donahue). They’ve all come along. It’s a long process, so you can’t just rush into something. You have to know what you’re doing.

On what you can do as an end to make it easier on a new guy in the middle.

I tell them to just be in the film room. That’s where I started off. Any days that you have nothing to do, just come up here and watch film on the little things you need to work on. Then just go from there.

On getting the feedback that he wants from the coaches and what happened from there

Just keep working. That’s all it is. Keep working. You can’t let that get big headed over you. You have to keep pushing. Every day isn’t a promise, so you have to keep working each day and get better.

On the bowl game and how well he played

I kind of feel like toward the end of the year I played better. I don’t see why it’s like that. It’s just me being a competitor. People look at every game with you. What I had to do is bring that same intensity every game, and be the best.

Junior safety Jeremy Tyler

On how spring practice is going

Right now, I am at a point in my college career where I need to get better every day. I need to make sure I am accountable for my teammates.

On the progression of his career and overcoming adversity

In life you’re going to go through adversity. Coming from Georgia, it wasn’t pretty. It made you a better person. It made you open your eyes up and see what was for you and wasn’t really for you.

On learning from the graduating seniors in the WVU secondary

KJ (Dillon) and Karl (Joseph) really set an example for the younger guys. I looked up to them as soon as I stepped foot through the door. I hope they do well in the league. I really appreciate them.

On changing position coaches

When you get a new coach you have to figure out what he likes and what he doesn’t like. Of course there are going to be different things than the previous coach. He (assistant coach safeties Matt Caponi) is a great coach. He is very technical with what he wants done. We listen to him and go from there.

On getting to know the new coaches

It has been good. Once you get new faces around the organization, you want to put your best foot forward and show them how the organization is run. When you get new faces in here you just have to get them adapted to how we play and operate.

Redshirt senior linebacker Sean Walters

On how spring 2016 practices have been going

It’s going well. I feel everyone is on the same page as far as wanting to get better. I feel as though everyone wants to get better. We are going out there every day and working hard to prove ourselves as a defense.

On what the graduating 2015 linebackers passed down to this group

Tenacity. They play the game the way it is supposed to be played. (Assistant coach, defensive coordinator/linebackers Tony Gibson) coach Gibby always talks about going out there and being a dog. The way you practice is the way you’re going to play. It’s all about going out there in practice and making the most of your reps.

On making a name for himself on special teams and how it translates to a starting role

I feel as though that you have to do your part on the team in order to make it better. Still to this day it doesn’t matter to me. Special teams will always be a part of my game because it’s what elevated me to this level. You have to make the best of every rep, whether that’s special teams, defense, or anything.

On the new additions to the coaching staff and the continuity that is forming

I feel as though the coaches have a good gel with each other. I think all of them are on the same page and have the goal of being the best defense in the country. Any coach that has come in up until this point has been embraced. We’re all along for the ride.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT