ADVERTISEMENT

WVU season ticket sales continue to decline

Beaver Stadium capacity 106,572 record crowd 110,823 (2017). I don't think you will see a 100,000 seat stadium in Morgantown.

Morgantown as of July 1 2017 pop. 30,417
2016 - 30,855
2015 - 30,490
2014 - 30,369
2013 - 30,056
2012 - 30,034
2011 - 29,637
2010 - 28,785
2009 - 30,629
2008 - 29,851
2007 - 29,524

There is an up and down period but remains steady. There is not that much growth in population. People might be working there but not living there. If you include the metro are it only moves the needle to 138,176. Morgantown is the largest city in North-Central West Virginia. Metro area includes...2 counties in North Central WV.

KeatonsCorner said:

Explain why that matters, how tickets are sold.....

They sell. That’s all that matters. Check our attendance averages

I agree with Keaton on this. If WVU averages 58,000 attendance, who cares whether it's from season tickets or mini-packages or game-day sales. Oh, I know the AD feels better if 30,000 season tickets are sold before the opener. So do I. But in the long run it's how many $$$ are plunked down to get into Mountaineer Field for the entire season that counts.

Got to add a +2 to that as well.

Not the enrollment. Penn State enrollment huge. Both areas are growing, developing nicely.

Morgantown city limit is not big square mileage wise so they ran out of room pretty much but the county and metro area continue to grow and will continue. In 10 years the Morgantown metro and Mon. County will be a lot bigger.

KeatonsCorner said:

Explain why that matters, how tickets are sold.....

They sell. That’s all that matters. Check our attendance averages

Got to add a +2 to that as well.

I haven't bought season tickets since 2011 but back then season tickets required a donation and the bigger the donation the better the seats....mini and single game tickets do not....so unless somethings changed it's not all equal.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I haven't bought season tickets since 2011 but back then season tickets required a donation and the bigger the donation the better the seats....mini and single game tickets do not....so unless somethings changed it's not all equal.

except that the single game prices per ticket are higher than the average per-ticket amount from within a season ticket package.

While I'm sure it doesn't equate to what many donate to get good seats, it does approach the "evening out" plateau

the cheapest season ticket package right now is 365.00 plus what I'd assume to be a small donation (maybe 125.00). So that's roughly 800.00 for 6 games.......... 133.00/per.

single game tickets in this section, assuming WVU plays well, will go around 200.00 for bigger named teams

A savings of $35 off the single game price when you buy the $365.00 season tickets.

Seat locations in the Orange Zone require a $125 per seat MAC annual fund gift. Available Gold Zone seats require a $250 per seat MAC annual fund gift.
Red Zone seats require a $425 gift per seat MAC annual fund gift.

This is facts. My parents were MAC donors and as soon as RR had 1 winning season, they wanted an additional $500 on top of the $1000 to keep their seats in 125.

ADVERTISEMENT