Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
WVU Players Media Session

June 23, 2017

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (June 23, 2017) - Select members of the West Virginia University football team met with the media on Friday, June 23, 2017, at the Milan Puskar Center Team Room.

Senior Running Back Justin Crawford

On how he is progressing this summer

I’m progressing fairly well. I feel myself getting stronger, faster, quicker. I am bettering myself for the upcoming season, that’s all I can do.

On what his goals were going into the offseason

All of those aspects that I just said. Getting, bigger, stronger, faster.

On if he has gained weight this offseason

Yeah, I have put on about four pounds.

On his comfortable playing weight

203 to 205. I’m close to it.

On the biggest changes that he has seen in the offense this year from last year

Just the ability to click on all cylinders. How everyone is on the same page.

Junior Wide Receiver Gary Jennings

On new guys that are stepping up

(Junior wide receiver) Dominque Maiden, and (freshman wide receiver) Reggie Roberson those guys are definitely stepping up but as a whole we’re all starting to gel and mesh together which I feel is very good.

On running patterns for Redshirt Junior Quarterback Will Grier during the off season

That’s a part of us meshing together and making sure were all on the same page all the time. Every chance we get we’re working with the quarterbacks and trying to get timing down.

On difference running the offense under a new coordinator

Just a few things as far as tempo wise, but I guess we’ll see. We can go pretty fast.

On Assistant Coach (Receivers) Tyron Carrier

Coach Carrier is one of the best coaches I’ve been around as far as being able to coach and get us motivated to do what we have to do to be successful on the field, it should be a very successful year.

Redshirt Senior Tight End/Full Back Elijah Wellman

On how the summer is going

It’s going well. We are working hard for the upcoming season and putting the work in and grinding. It’s been fun getting to know the news guys on the team, that’s also fun. There are a lot of different people coming in that are new from different places. Team bonding and summer workouts is what it’s all about getting ready for the season.

On how working out is fun if it is hard work

Embracing the grind. That is what we say around here. Embrace it and make it fun. It’s not going to be a good time if you are dreading the work. It makes everything better when you are coming in, getting the work done and enjoying it with your teammates.

On how sophomore running backs Kennedy McKoy and Martell Pettaway are doing in their first offseason

They are really progressing. They have been in it for a full year. They are pushing heavier weight and sticking in there on their runs. They are doing well, a lot better than they were last year. That’s a good sign for the running game too.

On the importance of team bonding

It’s very important. That’s one thing we stress. We have been doing team competitions where we have about 10 teams and they put random people together in certain categories. That’s how you get to know some guys that you don’t normally mess around with not around football. Myself, I have made a couple of new friendships just through that and team bonding. That’s something that we strive for. That brings a team together to win games when you are counting on that dude next to you and trusting that guy. It’s very important.

Redshirt Sophomore Offensive Lineman Colton McKivitz

On an early scouting report of the offensive line

You know, we’re building that comradery, getting older guys to bring young guys along. We’re a little low on tackles but it’s our job to get the younger guys up and going. It’s kind of like what Marcell (Lazard) did with me and some of the other guys, it our role to get those guys confident and work pretty hard to get stronger, faster, and all the things you prepare for upcoming camp.

On having the pieces to put together

We’re pretty confident, we’ll find out during camp and we will continue to build that and then week one we’ll find out.

On how the younger athletes have been performing

They’re maturing pretty quickly. They have a good understanding of the playbook. They’re starting to learn the major stuff pretty quick and that’s helping them a lot. It’s all about getting stronger in the weight room and just seeing what the play looks like and how it works.

Redshirt Sophomore Offensive Lineman Kyle Bosch

On changes in offseason condition in the program

No it’s much different every year. (Director, Strength and Conditioning) Mike Joseph and his staff do a really good job of implementing new techniques that he learns from around the country. They go to clinics every year, and they find new techniques that have a lot of critical backing and if they don’t have critical backing than they’re not going to do it. There’s some stuff we did my freshman year that they found new research that said ‘that may not be the best thing to do, this may be the best thing to do’ so were constantly changing our work out regime and our workout program to meet the modern day student-athlete.

On exactly what changes were made

We started wearing these (bracelets), this is called a “Whoop” and basically it’s a system that monitors your heart rate, your sleep, how much strain you’re putting on your body. It’s a smart way for the coaches, the staff, and the players to see what they’re actual numbers are when it comes to they’re performance, they’re sleep, all the intangibles that make you’re a better athlete.

On the balance of being monitored

The good thing is none of us feel like that. Right when we got these bands, right when we got this new program they said ‘anyone that doesn’t feel comfortable doing this you can hand it back in and we’ll give it to the next guy that wants it’. Obviously none of us wanted to do that because were all committed to trying to win the Big 12, to trying make it to the College Football Playoff so were all taking this off season very seriously. Monitoring everything we do, everything we eat, and every time we fall asleep.

Senior Cornerback Elijah Battle

On being a senior in the backfield

I’m trying to be a leader to the younger guys and show them the right way to do stuff, the right way to work and bring them along.

On how to prepare during offseason conditioning

I learned you have to take care of your body, do everything you need to do to get your body back right for the next day so you’re able to train hard.

On how Assistant Cornerback Coach Doug Belk has progressed

It’s going good with coach Belk, he’s way more comfortable now, and everyone’s more comfortable now with coach Belk, he’s doing a good job.

Sophomore Defensive Lineman Reese Donahue

On if he has any personal goals for himself this season
No, win every game. That’s what we want to do.

On if he has approached the offseason differently now that his role has increased
Absolutely. Last season, I was just trying to get my feet wet to what’s going on and work myself in. Now I know what to expect and I’m trying to take a leadership role. Instead of just being with the team I want to make an impact and help everybody, I want them to help me. I want to make everyone better. It’s definitely more of a leadership role, as well as experience. I played a little bit last year but it’s definitely a lot better than getting thrown in this year with no experience.

On if being a leader in the room has changed his workout regimen It has changed how I look at workouts. My outlook on it? Of course I want to get bigger and stronger and things like that, but the way you approach it now is not just trying to keep up, but now you are competing. You are competing against your teammates to prove to each other. You know where you stand and where you need to go now.

Redshirt Senior Linebacker Al-Rasheed Benton

On how he is growing this offseason
Mentally, physically. In all aspects, I am growing as a better person, a better football player, a better student. All-around a better leader. Everything, that’s what I wanted to work on this offseason to make sure that I get better in all aspects.

On if the comradery of the team has increased this offseason
Yes. That is something that is peaking right now. We have a lot of guys that it is their first time on campus. A lot of guys that it is their first time having to really contribute to what we are trying to do. Everyone is developing that trust. Everybody is getting that love for each other. This is the time of the year, that in a few days the coaches will be gone and it will be just us and then you really see how much of a family you are. When you are the guys that have to run everything. When you are the guys that have to run the meetings, the guys that have to make sure that everyone is here on time. It is definitely peaking right now.

On the team competitions That is my favorite part all season. We normally do it in the winter, but we had some guys that are coming in and they wanted them to take part in it so we did it during the summer. It shows you the fight. It shows you the competiveness that some guys have and you start to learn more about guys than you can get from just running the drill over here. You see who is going to fight, who is going to put it all on the line for their team and who wants to compete. I have learned a lot about my teammates, I feel like they have learned a lot about me. We can keep going from here.

Senior Safety Kyzir White

On how much better he is now than this time last season
I am a lot better mentally and physically. Just having a year experience here at West Virginia definitely helped me and my game a lot more. I am around the guys, I am in the system. I feel a lot better.

On how this system makes him a playmaker
Being around so many other great players on our team, you have to push yourself. You might look to your left and you see a guy doing a lot of weight and you want to push yourself that much more so you don’t look young or you are unmotivated. That has helped me out a lot.

On if this defense can be faster than last year’s defenseYeah, we have a lot of fast guys. Last year we had fast guys to so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

On the differences of the defense he played at Lackawanna College to the defense that is played at West Virginia
It’s a lot different. Here I am in the box and I’m guarding slots. At Lackawanna, I was on the roof a lot. It was an adjustment for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT