ADVERTISEMENT

WVU mislead the fanbase

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
WVU fans were told the new AD would make a decision on Brown's status once in his office and having evaluated.

Clearly what happened in reality is he was told to keep Brown. The new AD hasn't started his new job yet but has already "evaluated" Brown and determined that the best thing is to keep him as they stated yesterday? How could he have already evaluated the program when he hasn't started working yet?

Obviously he was told to keep Brown and sign off on that and did.

With new teams coming in, realignment still on the horizon, this will have long term negative ramifications for WVU football and athletics. There is likely going to be a mass exodus of fans from ticket sales as well as in support which will hurt financially. Viewing of WVU football games already declined severely under Brown and now it will be a shell of itself which harms exposure.

And when Penn State stomps a listless Brown team in the opener, what then? More excuses that he needs more time to get "his" guys five years in? Does WVU then fire him midseason with a terrible start? If they do, what coach can they bring in mid season? None of course. At seasons end will the buyout at $12,000,000 plus still be too high to release Brown even with yet another losing or 6 win season? The administration needs to do more than try to pump up a terrible situation as they did by pretending everything will just magically be ok now.

Can't even imagine how the new money guy at AD goes out and tries to sell this debacle to supporters who have been duped.

Hey troll, what shit are you claiming I've made up or lied about?

Spewing out troll b.s. isn't going to alter the facts of the situation.
Apparently hit the nail on the head. Buckaineer exposed. Go back to the herd board and wipe your tears. You have no idea what is happening.

Oh and it doesn't matter who the coach is. PSU has stomped WVU every freaking year except 11 and 2 of those were kiss your sister games.

Penn State leads the series 48–9–2.

It took too long to hire an AD after it took too long to fire ours. As bad as I want Brown gone, I dont want a brand new AD rushing the decision to decide who our new HC will be this late in the game. We have to get the next one right.

If it were me, Brown and Lyons would've been fired after the ISU game with Harrell being named interim coach. Then we would've had plenty of time to make the moves.

• Haha
Reactions: C'burgEer
Hey its over buckle up Mountaineer fans and hope for the best. Lets see where this takes us. We have 2 QB.s and lots of people back hopefully recruiting and the portal go well We are Mountaineer fans we will hang in there and bitch constantly so lets go

Reactions: WVUALLEN
It took too long to hire an AD after it took too long to fire ours. As bad as I want Brown gone, I dont want a brand new AD rushing the decision to decide who our new HC will be this late in the game. We have to get the next one right.

If it were me, Brown and Lyons would've been fired after the ISU game with Harrell being named interim coach. Then we would've had plenty of time to make the moves.
WVU said the new AD would review the situation and make a decision. That was a lie. He was obviously told what to do and say--he hasn't even started yet.

Agree, Brown like other failing coaches out there, should have been fired mid season along with Lyons so that necessary coaches and officials could be put in place in time.

Now you've got a super fiasco when the same results come in next year (if not worse).

Hey its over buckle up Mountaineer fans and hope for the best. Lets see where this takes us. We have 2 QB.s and lots of people back hopefully recruiting and the portal go well We are Mountaineer fans we will hang in there and bitch constantly so lets go
Brown has a record. A losing record in EVERY category. Against FBS. In conference. Against winning programs. On the road. Four YEARS of losing record in these categories and more such as never won three straight.

Not sure what you don't get about this.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Nothing indicates any different results will be had. With the same players you are now touting, WVU has a losing record AGAIN.

WVU said the new AD would review the situation and make a decision. That was a lie. He was obviously told what to do and say--he hasn't even started yet.

Agree, Brown like other failing coaches out there, should have been fired mid season along with Lyons so that necessary coaches and officials could be put in place in time.

Now you've got a super fiasco when the same results come in next year (if not worse).
I think the new AD would agree, that it is just too late in the game to make a proper hiring at this point. This guy is totally new and there are a lot of things to evaluate. Its going to take him a minute just to get acclimated and learn the history of WVU sports. The last thing we need is some rushed decision on who the right new HC should be. I hate it personally, but the way things were handled this is the situation we're in.

If I were the AD of WVU I know exactly what I would do lol. But if I were the AD of a school I didnt know much about, I would not know what to do until I evaluated everything. The problem with us fans is we know. Wren Baker doesnt quite yet. Give him time...

I think the new AD would agree, that it is just too late in the game to make a proper hiring at this point. This guy is totally new and there are a lot of things to evaluate. Its going to take him a minute just to get acclimated and learn the history of WVU sports. The last thing we need is some rushed decision on who the right new HC should be. I hate it personally, but the way things were handled this is the situation we're in.

If I were the AD of WVU I know exactly what I would do lol. But if I were the AD of a school I didnt know much about, I would not know what to do until I evaluated everything. The problem with us fans is we know. Wren Baker doesnt quite yet. Give him time...
WVU lied to the fanbase and said it would be the ADs decision and he would make a review of the situation. They lied--there has been no review by the new AD.

No, they don't get a pass for lying.

They could have been honest and upfront about the situation saying we are not going to pay that enormous buyout, weve fired Lyons for creating and signing off on it. The new AD won't review the situation until next year, we hope you'll still support the team even though we are forced to stick with Brown.

Instead, they lied and mislead the fanbase but will likely stick their hands out for financial support just the same.

Brown isn't losing because he doesn't have financial support--he can't coach above losing seasons at the P5 level--that is why he is losing. That's what needs to be addressed, not milking more people out of their hard earned money with no results.

WVU fans were told the new AD would make a decision on Brown's status once in his office and having evaluated.

Clearly what happened in reality is he was told to keep Brown. The new AD hasn't started his new job yet but has already "evaluated" Brown and determined that the best thing is to keep him as they stated yesterday? How could he have already evaluated the program when he hasn't started working yet?

With new teams coming in, realignment still on the horizon, this will have long term negative ramifications for WVU football and athletics. There is likely going to be a mass exodus of fans from ticket sales as well as in support which will hurt financially. Viewing of WVU football games already declined severely under Brown and now it will be a shell of itself which harms exposure.

And when Penn State stomps a listless Brown team in the opener, what then? More excuses that he needs more time to get "his" guys five years in? Does WVU then fire him midseason with a terrible start? If they do, what coach can they bring in mid season? None of course. At seasons end will the buyout at $12,000,000 plus still be too high to release Brown even with yet another losing or 6 win season? The administration needs to do more than try to pump up a terrible situation as they did by pretending everything will just magically be ok now.

Can't even imagine how the new money guy at AD goes out and tries to sell this debacle to supporters who have been duped.

SOMEONE'S BEEN READING MY MIND. I ALREADY HAVE DECIDED, AFTER MORE THAN 40 YEARS OF PUMPINS THOUSANDS OF $$$ A YEAR INTO THE AD AND MAC, TO STOP DOING BOTH AS LONG AS NEAL BROWN IS COACH. I LOVE MY ALMA MATER. BUT NOT ANOTHER PENNY FOR NOW BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE ENDORSING THE INSANITY OF KEEPING NEAL BROWN.

WVU lied to the fanbase and said it would be the ADs decision and he would make a review of the situation. They lied--there has been no review by the new AD.

No, they don't get a pass for lying.

They could have been honest and upfront about the situation saying we are not going to pay that enormous buyout, weve fired Lyons for creating and signing off on it. The new AD won't review the situation until next year, we hope you'll still support the team even though we are forced to stick with Brown.

Instead, they lied and mislead the fanbase but will likely stick their hands out for financial support just the same.

Brown isn't losing because he doesn't have financial support--he can't coach above losing seasons at the P5 level--that is why he is losing. That's what needs to be addressed, not milking more people out of their hard earned money with no results.

The more info that comes out, the more I believe they fired Shane for his unwillingness to fire Brown first and foremost, as well as his negative approach to the NIL and other fundraising issues. Personally I think that's why this whole thing turned into bad timing. In his interview with Hoppy, Shane said he was sticking with Brown no matter what. They had no choice but to fire Shane. If he's unwilling to fix the glaring problem and in fact is so stupid he cant even see a problem, then there was no choice. Honestly it kind of looks like 197 year old Gordon Gee recognized the issue with Neal Brown before it even crossed Shane's mind. Shane literally got on the radio and said Neal Brown is doing well and is on the right path. He basically said the weak culture changes is more important than winning. Shane was the problem all along if you ask me. Any other AD would've fired Kneel after ISU, but under Shane he would probably get another contract extension. At that point, Gee and Alsop have to step in. I'm sure donors were behind it too.

SOMEONE'S BEEN READING MY MIND. I ALREADY HAVE DECIDED, AFTER MORE THAN 40 YEARS OF PUMPINS THOUSANDS OF $$$ A YEAR INTO THE AD AND MAC, TO STOP DOING BOTH AS LONG AS NEAL BROWN IS COACH. I LOVE MY ALMA MATER. BUT NOT ANOTHER PENNY FOR NOW BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE ENDORSING THE INSANITY OF KEEPING NEAL BROWN.
Right on! Screw the players and the school just over one man. I’m sure they won’t miss your t-shirt purchase at Walmart or checking the new to see how WVU on the local news.

Be gone.

I certainly won't spend any money or waste time watching any games from now on. No point. Based on the "lack" of attendance shown through the latter part of the season, more than likely a large number of former fans will follow suit--after all what is the point. The administration has no expectation or plan to produce winning results for WVU football, only to milk people for money for nothing in return.

The more info that comes out, the more I believe they fired Shane for his unwillingness to fire Brown first and foremost, as well as his negative approach to the NIL and other fundraising issues. Personally I think that's why this whole thing turned into bad timing. In his interview with Hoppy, Shane said he was sticking with Brown no matter what. They had no choice but to fire Shane. If he's unwilling to fix the glaring problem and in fact is so stupid he cant even see a problem, then there was no choice. Honestly it kind of looks like 197 year old Gordon Gee recognized the issue with Neal Brown before it even crossed Shane's mind. Shane literally got on the radio and said Neal Brown is doing well and is on the right path. He basically said the weak culture changes is more important than winning. Shane was the problem all along if you ask me. Any other AD would've fired Kneel after ISU, but under Shane he would probably get another contract extension. At that point, Gee and Alsop have to step in. I'm sure donors were behind it too.
Gee oversaw championship caliber coaching at Ohio State. He must understand WVU needs something more than what Brown is bringing.

They had no choice but to release Lyons if he blindly supported Brown despite results. Plus he made it clear that 7 wins for WVU met his expectations (so then wtf did he not extend Holgorsen who was actually delivering that and better, twice?) That is not and should not be a glass ceiling for WVU football ever.

But now Gee et al have put WVU into a bad spot. They obviously didn't get rid of Lyons until it was too late to do anything about the HC position. But when will it be the right time? Is the WVU fanbase really supposed to stand for this through 2026 while Brown continues fleecing WVU? At what point do they feel they'll take action--because another losing season is a disaster but nothing indicates anything will be different.

Last edited:
Gee oversaw the hiring of championship caliber coaches at Ohio State. He must understand WVU needs something more than what Brown is bringing.

They had no choice but to release Lyons if he blindly supported Brown despite results. Plus he made it clear that 7 wins for WVU met his expectations (so then wtf did he not extend Holgorsen who was actually delivering that and better, twice?) That is not and should not be a glass ceiling for WVU football ever.

But now Gee et al have put WVU into a bad spot. They obviously didn't get rid of Lyons until it was too late to do anything about the HC position. But when will it be the right time? Is the WVU fanbase really supposed to stand for this through 2026 while Brown continues fleecing WVU? At what point do they feel they'll take action--because another losing season is a disaster but nothing indicates anything will be different.
That is the million dollar question. After listening to the entire Lyons interview, my thinking is Gee thought Lyons would fire Brown, but Lyons didnt want to. If he did his job and fired him then we would have our new coach by now. Lyons said Gee texted him that they were in a foxhole together. Why else would he text Lyons that other than he knew Brown was losing the fanbase really bad, and a change needed made? But then Lyons didnt fire Brown and in fact took his back and ignored the fanbase, which is a huge mistake. So Gee had no choice but to fire Lyons. I wish all of it happened a month sooner than it did, but from the evidence I see, Gee and everyone else knew Brown had to go in plenty of time, but Shane's unwillingness to listen messed everything up, and he basically forced himself out the door at that point. I just think Gee wanted Shane to fix the problem instead of having to find another AD who will. I believe Wren Baker will fix it though.

That is the million dollar question. After listening to the entire Lyons interview, my thinking is Gee thought Lyons would fire Brown, but Lyons didnt want to. If he did his job and fired him then we would have our new coach by now. Lyons said Gee texted him that they were in a foxhole together. Why else would he text Lyons that other than he knew Brown was losing the fanbase really bad, and a change needed made? But then Lyons didnt fire Brown and in fact took his back and ignored the fanbase, which is a huge mistake. So Gee had no choice but to fire Lyons. I wish all of it happened a month sooner than it did, but from the evidence I see, Gee and everyone else knew Brown had to go in plenty of time, but Shane's unwillingness to listen messed everything up, and he basically forced himself out the door at that point. I just think Gee wanted Shane to fix the problem instead of having to find another AD who will. I believe Wren Baker will fix it though.
Not sure if I agree. Gee just said they were in the Foxhole together, meaning they were in the fight to cover for and support Brown together. At some point Alsop and others in the administration saw they had to do something (probably the enormous attendance drop) so they moved to fire Lyons--but did so in a timeframe that made it nearly impossible for a new coach to be named-intentionally.

By the AD choice the implication is that a portion of the large donor base must have said goodbye, refused to pay any buyout, so they've had to bring in someone known for getting financial support. Just don't think it will work well at WVU in this current climate. WVU supporters expect results and WVU retaining Brown along with Lyons comments show that high level results aren't expected or intended. The administration can't just come out with fake "rah, rah" statements. They need to explain a path forward for when (not if) Brown fails again to produce results next season. What will they do and when exactly? Hopefully once the new AD comes in instead of pushing the b.s. that everything has been righted, he will explain the path forward.

If not it most likely means there isn't one.

Not sure if I agree. Gee just said they were in the Foxhole together, meaning they were in the fight to cover for and support Brown together. At some point Alsop and others in the administration saw they had to do something (probably the enormous attendance drop) so they moved to fire Lyons--but did so in a timeframe that made it nearly impossible for a new coach to be named-intentionally.

By the AD choice the implication is that a portion of the large donor base must have said goodbye, refused to pay any buyout, so they've had to bring in someone known for getting financial support. Just don't think it will work well at WVU in this current climate. WVU supporters expect results and WVU retaining Brown along with Lyons comments show that high level results aren't expected or intended. The administration can't just come out with fake "rah, rah" statements. They need to explain a path forward for when (not if) Brown fails again to produce results next season. What will they do and when exactly? Hopefully once the new AD comes in instead of pushing the b.s. that everything has been righted, he will explain the path forward.

If not it most likely means there isn't one.
You might be right, Gee may have been all in on Brown as well. But after Shane getting on the radio and saying all the weak crap he did, and then pointing fingers at literally everyone but himself and Brown, was pathetic. I don't really care if that is what he thinks, but the whole world didn't have to know. It would've been good for him to keep his opinions to himself, but he didn't and it exposed him pretty bad imo.

I have no doubt the donors were probably fed up with both Brown and Lyons, probably Gee too honestly. But they are also smart enough to know that its just too late to fire and hire right now, with an AD who has to get settled in his office first. Yeah it sucks, but it wont suck if Baker can grow the NIL and fundraising over the next year, with the idea that we are going to go after a really good coach. Sucks having to basically eat a season, but if the current recruiting class stays intact and we dont lose all of our good players to the portal, we will at least have the kids to root for next year. I have zero faith in Brown though. 10 wins or hes gone.

You might be right, Gee may have been all in on Brown as well. But after Shane getting on the radio and saying all the weak crap he did, and then pointing fingers at literally everyone but himself and Brown, was pathetic. I don't really care if that is what he thinks, but the whole world didn't have to know. It would've been good for him to keep his opinions to himself, but he didn't and it exposed him pretty bad imo.

I have no doubt the donors were probably fed up with both Brown and Lyons, probably Gee too honestly. But they are also smart enough to know that its just too late to fire and hire right now, with an AD who has to get settled in his office first. Yeah it sucks, but it wont suck if Baker can grow the NIL and fundraising over the next year, with the idea that we are going to go after a really good coach. Sucks having to basically eat a season, but if the current recruiting class stays intact and we dont lose all of our good players to the portal, we will at least have the kids to root for next year. I have zero faith in Brown though. 10 wins or hes gone.
Everyone forgets, there is also the chance Neal Brown wins next year and keeps his job.

5 years of losing, not being ranked, reducing the viewership and fanbase is a disaster for WVU athletics. The administration hasn't made it clear that they'll ever let Brown go no matter results either. More realignment will happen, possibly in the next few years. WVU needs football success to be a positive part of that and will not have had it now for half a decade.

Donors likely made ultimatums and left. They understand they aren't giving WVU another dime for losing. NIL isn't going to change that especially when players have left under Brown's watch in numbers far too high for NIL to account for all of it. Other schools have not had such disastrous levels of departures. Its doubtful a new, unknown AD is going to convince people that left because they wanted changes that were not made to come back and give again at levels they were--again because nothing has changed.

Every school in the country lost some production to NIL--many of them still won--such as TCU and K State, even with new coaches. WVU is piling up lots of excuses but honestly throwing away seasons when they've already tossed four in a row into the garbage is not good and doesn't bode well for the long term success of football or athletics at WVU.

The only one misleading the fanbase is you with all the fake news youtubers and sports articles you post from people who have no say or knowledge of what's going on inside the halls of the athletic department.

They said Brown would return and the new AD would review and evaluate the staff and Neal Brown During the 2023 season. Get it right or get lost.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
5 years of losing, not being ranked, reducing the viewership and fanbase is a disaster for WVU athletics. The administration hasn't made it clear that they'll ever let Brown go no matter results either. More realignment will happen, possibly in the next few years. WVU needs football success to be a positive part of that and will not have had it now for half a decade.

Donors likely made ultimatums and left. They understand they aren't giving WVU another dime for losing. NIL isn't going to change that especially when players have left under Brown's watch in numbers far too high for NIL to account for all of it. Other schools have not had such disastrous levels of departures. Its doubtful a new, unknown AD is going to convince people that left because they wanted changes that were not made to come back and give again at levels they were--again because nothing has changed.

Every school in the country lost some production to NIL--many of them still won--such as TCU and K State, even with new coaches. WVU is piling up lots of excuses but honestly throwing away seasons when they've already tossed four in a row into the garbage is not good and doesn't bode well for the long term success of football or athletics at WVU.
He's only been here 4 years. See Rutgers and Maryland on why it doesn't matter your record. See USC and UCLA. Many more.

Yep that's how you fix it. Quit giving the money needed to can them.

You can tell you're a liberal. Look at the lies and made up shit.

Another lie.

You bring new now that the same dumbasses that are old school.

Really? Who did TCU and KSU lose that was a matter of production?

Houston and Dana could use a friend. I hear Marshall is going to a bowl and needs support and fans. Leave please.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. Good riddance. Don't come back.

I certainly won't spend any money or waste time watching any games from now on. No point. Based on the "lack" of attendance shown through the latter part of the season, more than likely a large number of former fans will follow suit--after all what is the point. The administration has no expectation or plan to produce winning results for WVU football, only to milk people for money for nothing in return.
Bye boozer go suck a Houston

Gee oversaw championship caliber coaching at Ohio State. He must understand WVU needs something more than what Brown is bringing.

Hey Bucky let's dance

Last edited:

dude! you are going to get ass-cancer because you are just too lazy to do squats.

You gotta read the release on Brown that Alsop put out - it raises more questions that it gives answers - but that typical of how he operates.

CUT AND PASTED STRAIGHT FROM VOM.

You should be banned little bucky.

Bucky actually has a point here. WVU obviously told Wren that keeping Brown was a condition to being hired.

Gee botched this...Baker seems fine enough but the issue is getting rid of Brown. It seems totally tone def to the fan base. Obviously - when Lyons was fired the fans were expecting a new coach as part of the deal.

Last edited:

Why is it too late? Championship Saturday is tomorrow, most of the coaches that are worth looking at are involved some way or another. That is one of the biggest lie/excuses be thrown about instead of saying" we don't want to pay the buyout, so the fans can just deal with another season of hoping to go 6-6 and make some little no-name bowl"

ADVERTISEMENT