ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release WVU Football Media Session: Players: 8-13

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (August 13, 2018) – Select members of the West Virginia University football team met with the media on Monday, Aug. 13, 2018, at the Milan Puskar Center Team Room.

Redshirt senior offensive lineman Yodny Cajuste

On jelling with the rest of the offensive linemen

We’ve had the same (offensive) line since spring, so we’ve worked all summer. The chemistry hasn’t started in preseason camp, it started way back in January.

On confidence in knowing his assignments

We do it every day; it’s just repetition. We see the same thing every day, so we learn how to run stuff a certain way.

On if he’s getting tired of camp

No, I appreciate it, because it’s my last one. I’m just enjoying every minute, every period, every moment.

Redshirt senior quarterback Will Grier

On the positives and negatives of being a coach’s kid

I think there’s a lot of positives. I think the negatives are more about working through stuff at that age. With it being your dad and also your coach, there’s some different little things that I think are different based on the individual situation. My dad and I were in a situation where my parents got divorced when I was young. I was going back and forth between houses. So, I didn’t see him every single night. It was a little different. I think it’s unique to the situation. We worked through some things. My dad’s a great coach, he’s been around the game a while. So, I learned a lot from him. In my situation, there was a lot of positives. But, like I said, I think it’s unique to everyone.

On helping the backup quarterbacks develop

Those guys have different skillsets. I think we have a great room. They’re good people, they work hard, they try and learn. Our film sessions are great, because we just talk ball with all of us. It’s good, healthy communication in the meeting room, and out there on the field, we just try and get better. They ask me questions, and if I see something, I point it out. We’re just trying to grow all together. Like I said, they’re just different. They both offer different things, and they’re both good players. They’ve developed a lot since spring going into the fall. They’ve both gotten a lot better, more comfortable in the offense, and they bring different stuff to the table. But, really, they’re an impressive group. They’re big, smart, talented guys, and they’re good people that get along with everybody, which is an important trait in my mind, as a quarterback. They’re good with the rest of the team. So, it’s good.

On how the backup quarterbacks have helped him improve his game

No, I’m absolutely perfect. No, no, absolutely. Like I said, it’s good, healthy dialogue in the meeting room, especially, too. With (assistant coach – offensive coordinator/quarterbacks) (Jake) Spav (Spavital) in there, we all just talk and continue to not just critique but talk ball; if you did this, or in this situation, if you did this, that was fine, but it’d be better if you do this. That kind of thing. It’s good stuff. They’re further ahead. (Freshman quarterback) Trey’s (Lowe III) a young guy, but he’s further ahead, mentally. (redshirt sophomore quarterback) Jack’s (Allison) an older guy now, and he’s understanding the game. It’s good, healthy dialogue. We’ve all gotten better.

Junior running back Kennedy McKoy

On his overall thoughts of this year’s fall camp

I’ve had a pretty decent camp, so far. They talk about competing all the time, and that’s one of the biggest things about teams – it’s about competing, whether it’s with yourself trying to get through something or with your teammates. The competition in our room is really something that’s helped me push myself to become a better player.

On what he thought he needed to work on, specifically, during fall camp

Just the little things – my pre-snap reads, my during-the-play reads and doing everybody else’s job on the offense; not just my job.

On how the rest of the offense has helped the running backs

It definitely does. When you have players around you like (senior wide receiver) David (Sills V), (senior wide receiver) Gary (Jennings Jr.), (junior wide receiver) Marcus (Simms), (redshirt sophomore wide receiver) T.J. (Simmons) and all the receivers that helps stretch the field vertically. Then, you have a great quarterback in (redshirt senior) Will (Grier). When he gets going, it really opens everything up and allows us to get going, as well.

On the offensive line

I love how physical they are. I feel like the whole mentality in that room has changed this year. I see a lot of the guys being a lot more physical than they were. The biggest improvement I have seen is (redshirt sophomore) Josh Sills. He’s improved so much and has become such a good player. I’m looking forward to following him through a lot of gaps this year, for sure.

Senior wide receiver David Sills V

On who has had a surprising start to camp

Offensively, I think we pretty much know what we have at receiver. I think our running backs, all four of them are in a really good spot right now; they all could have really big years this year. Defensively, they all look good. It looks like every one of them is going to have a really good year this year. So, it’s hard to pinpoint; everyone is playing really well at camp right now, but all the running backs have really stood out.

On who has been covering him during camp

I really go against all the corners. I go against (sophomore) Derrek (Pitts Jr.), (redshirt junior) Hakeem (Bailey), (redshirt junior) Keith (Washington), (redshirt junior Josh) Norwood, all of them. I’m pretty much going against all of them every day. When I’m inside, I go against (redshirt senior safety) Dravon (Askew-Henry) and (redshirt senior safety) Toyous (Avery), those guys. I pretty much see them all.

On building up endurance

We work all offseason on building that stamina and everything to sustain a whole season. I think we’ve done a good job with preparing for camp and to go through the rest of the season. It’s tough to tell right now if I’ll be able to have the same burst and everything that I have at the beginning of the season by the end of the season, but we’ve done everything we could to train for it.

Redshirt junior cornerback Hakeem Bailey

On battling against the receiving corps

I feel like we have the best receiving corps in the country, and the best quarterback, so it’s fun every day in practice just going up against those guys.

On how camp has been going

They’ve been going great. One-on-ones have been good, seven-on-sevens and everything is good. We go back and forth every day, so everybody is getting better.

On who has caught his eye during camp

Everybody is having a great camp. I like (redshirt junior safety) Josh Norwood, (redshirt junior cornerback) Keith Washington, (sophomore cornerback Derrek) Pitts (Jr.), (redshirt sophomore cornerback) Jake Long. Everybody is out there competing for those two spots.

Redshirt junior linebacker David Long Jr.

On his thoughts on the linebacking corps

It’s good. (Redshirt sophomore Dylan) Tonk (Tonkery) has been here for a while. He’s still learning stuff, I’m still learning stuff. (Redshirt sophomore) Charlie’s (Benton) coming along. Everybody is just building chemistry together. We’re just working harder and harder each day to try and be prepared for September 1st.

On what he sees from the backup linebackers

They play just as hard. They want to learn just as much. They come in here ready to work every day.

On the depth at the defensive line

I like it. The more, the better. The depth there is growing and everybody is working. Not just the ones, not just the twos but the threes and fours as well.

On redshirt sophomore Dylan Tonkery’s transition to MIKE linebacker

It doesn’t look like he even moved to a new position. He’s coming along, he’s making plays. He’s a hard worker. He’s still learning, just like most of us.

Senior defensive lineman Ezekiel Rose

On building upon his success from the second half of last year

I feel like I will be able to, because at the beginning of the season last year, I didn’t have as much freedom. I didn’t know if it was they didn’t trust me or whatever it was. I feel like they trust me a whole lot more this year. I feel like they’re going to cut the whole (defensive) line loose, actually.

On how having better depth at defensive line will help the defense

I feel like we’ll have fresher legs. I’ll have more air in my lungs. I feel like I’ll be a better player if I have more snaps.

On how redshirt senior defensive lineman Jabril Robinson’s experience has helped the defensive line

Jabril really knows what he is looking for, because he was on a championship team. He knows what it takes, what it looks like and what type of energy to bring. He’s one of the guys that’ll bring positive messages every time we talk, but he doesn’t talk much. But when he does get to talk, he says, ‘Come on guys. We have to do this, we have to do that. I’m with you 100 percent. Whatever you do, I’m going to do with you.’ It’s just a positive thing every time he talks.

Junior safety JoVanni Stewart

On how he feels about camp so far

I’m just doing my thing, and whenever I have a question, I just go to (senior safety) Toyous (Avery). We work with each other, and he helps me out a lot.

On how the secondary looks

I think we look a lot better, a lot more jelled together. The communication is better, definitely from last season. Everyone is just more of a unit, not selfish.

On how he has entered the year

I think when I first got here, I wasn’t as bought-in, so it was hard for me to get on the field. This upcoming year, I’ve been really bought-in; I trust the coaches. I trust they are going to put me into a position to make plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT