ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Fans Feel Empathy For Expansion Candidates ?

LowFatMilk

All-Conference
Apr 21, 2012
There's a lot of fans watching the entire future of their athletic programs come down to (possible) Big 12 expansion.

Remember when we were on that life raft ? Not fun.

The truth is most of the teams being considered are going to be left with fans that won't get to experience being in a P5 conference.

Do you feel for them ? Indifferent ? ....or just enjoy watching them get tortured ?

Reactions: Cheers and RITZCOOG
1. I am a college football fan of WVU.
2. College Basketball is a 2-3 week season for me. I really don't get interested till March and don't care that much.

I'm indifferent to all the most mentioned expansion schools. I don't want ANY non P5 school to come to the Big XII. And to be honest I would be very selective of some of the P5 schools who are nothing but urban city commuter schools with no fan base and don't match the culture of this conference.

I like the 10 school Big XII conference with round robin play. This is the absolute best conference there is for us. There are more fans from the Big XII schools that come to Morgantown for football games than came from Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville, Directional Florida 1 or 2, Cincinnatti, The women's basketball school in Storrs, the U, etc, etc.

Is this conference long term? Probably not, and no half ass attempt at expansion is going to change that. Enjoy what we have while we have it. Let the chips fall where they may afterward.

As for the alternatives, WVU does not cheat near well enough to be in the SEC. The ACC is basketball first and has more empty seats in most of their stadiums for football games than any P5 conference there is. The B1G is hung up on academics to the point it's laughable. The PAC is 3 time zones away.

I am a college basketball fan first.

Memphis, Uconn, Cincy, and Houston would make an already fantastic BB conference, the imminent top dog BB conference in the country. It would be like the old Big East in stature.

For the less verbose, the Big12 would be the swinging dick by which all conferences are measured.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
I can still empathize with the fans of all the schools hoping to upgrade to a power 5 conference. The anxiety and frustration is nerve wracking.

I had some empathy for Rutgers. I have some empathy for ECU. I don't think I have much empathy for Cincy, UCONN, Memphis, Tulane, Colorado State, Houston or BYU. I don't have much empathy for mega conferences. Eight 10 team conferences with restored rivalries would be so much better than the arms race for dollars that is dominating sports today.

Yea...I definitely have empathy for schools outside of the P5 who feel they should be in the "club." Felt that way when WVU was hanging and would surely feel that way if the Big 12 imploded and the Mountaineers were once again looking. Bigger than that I feel frustrated with the move to the smaller core of "haves" than before with this whole P5 elitist crap. College football and the money trail it creates is killing the bigger college athletics picture. Instead of looking forward to the next game against a traditional rival we now debate who is "worthy" of being at our party and who is not. Just a bunch of big dick feeling garbage...but it is here for the long haul.

2. College Basketball is a 2-3 week season for me. I really don't get interested till March and don't care that much.

I'm indifferent to all the most mentioned expansion schools. I don't want ANY non P5 school to come to the Big XII. And to be honest I would be very selective of some of the P5 schools who are nothing but urban city commuter schools with no fan base and don't match the culture of this conference.

I like the 10 school Big XII conference with round robin play. This is the absolute best conference there is for us. There are more fans from the Big XII schools that come to Morgantown for football games than came from Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville, Directional Florida 1 or 2, Cincinnatti, The women's basketball school in Storrs, the U, etc, etc.

Is this conference long term? Probably not, and no half ass attempt at expansion is going to change that. Enjoy what we have while we have it. Let the chips fall where they may afterward.

As for the alternatives, WVU does not cheat near well enough to be in the SEC. The ACC is basketball first and has more empty seats in most of their stadiums for football games than any P5 conference there is. The B1G is hung up on academics to the point it's laughable. The PAC is 3 time zones away.

There are more fans from the Big XII schools that come to Morgantown for football games than came from Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville, Directional Florida 1 or 2, Cincinnati.

That was my most noticeable difference between the Big East and the Big 12 fans. The other was the favorable comments those Big 12 visitors to Mountaineer Field had about their experience and their treatment. Another proof that you see what you look for.

WVU is SO much better off in the Big 12 than in the Big East. And far better off than being in the Little Five of football. God bless Oliver Luck.

It's a dog eat dog world. Power of money, media and TV contracts runs college sports now. The brother hood of I got your back you get my back is gone. Presidents and AD's alike will say yes we promise to swear our allegiance to such and such conference. Then when they return back to their offices they start dialing the phone to but their names in for a better conference. You worry about your own in today's college sports. If another G5 becomes a P5 you can then embrace them, until the next go around begins.

There's a lot of fans watching the entire future of their athletic programs come down to (possible) Big 12 expansion.

The truth is most of the teams being considered are going to be left with fans that won't get to experience being in a P5 conference.

Do you feel for them ? Indifferent ? ....or just enjoy watching them get tortured ?

I think there's a bit of a difference. WVU has a long history competing in a power conference or against top tier teams. Right now most candidates have a history of only being mid-major.

We were in a good conference that changed and fell apart. The current candidates want to be elevated, WVU was facing the opposite future - being diminished. So imo, we were fighting a more important fight - securing our future and preserving our past.

Is this conference long term? Probably not, and no half ass attempt have while we have it. Let the chips fall where they may afterward.

I agree with the bolded statement. I don't think expansion with the current cast of candidates does anything to help the conference in the long run, and it could end up biting us in the backside if the conference does fall apart.

Right now, none of those teams is good enough for any other P5 conference, but give them a few years of Big12 money to build on, and they could become better candidates for the more "stable" conferences than we are. "Tradition" hasn't done jack for us so far, and one of these newbloods with a good market could be seen as a better choice when the next round of expansion occurs. We could be among those left behind when the other four conferences start picking at the Big 12 carcass someday.

I agree with the bolded statement. I don't think expansion with the current cast of candidates does anything to help the conference in the long run, and it could end up biting us in the backside if the conference does fall apart.

Right now, none of those teams is good enough for any other P5 conference, but give them a few years of Big12 money to build on, and they could become better candidates for the more "stable" conferences than we are. "Tradition" hasn't done jack for us so far, and one of these newbloods with a good market could be seen as a better choice when the next round of expansion occurs. We could be among those left behind when the other four conferences start picking at the Big 12 carcass someday.

If there's additional expansion rounds our choices will be ACC/SEC. None of the possible candidates would be given SEC consideration, and I think only UCONN (maybe Cincinnati) would be considered for ACC.

Fair point though.

I think we'd be positioned nicely for the SEC, but who knows.

None. WVU waited for years to even get into the BE as a basketball only member. Then we finally get into the FB division only to watch the BE get picked over by the ACC like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Then we get rejected by the ACC after they created the mess we were stuck with. Then we had to claw our way over UL to get into the B12.

We've been through way more than any of these applicants and for a lot longer.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
some people aren't very deep i guess. lol here comes another "i can't respond so i'll call them a troll answer." lol x2

I think there's a bit of a difference. WVU has a long history competing in a power conference or against top tier teams. Right now most candidates have a history of only being mid-major.

We were in a good conference that changed and fell apart. The current candidates want to be elevated, WVU was facing the opposite future - being diminished. So imo, we were fighting a more important fight - securing our future and preserving our past.
I would like to know what you consider a long history of competing at the highest level is also. Pitt for a few years? Penn State? Miami? WVU was a Southern Conference school playing William and Mary's right? Then playing schools like UConn, Rutgers, South Florida, Cincinnati? Not sure everyone shares the same view of WVU as you.

I would like to know what you consider a long history of competing at the highest level is also. Pitt for a few years? Penn State? Miami? WVU was a Southern Conference school playing William and Mary's right? Then playing schools like UConn, Rutgers, South Florida, Cincinnati? Not sure everyone shares the same view of WVU as you.

WVU is now playing at the highest level of competition in school history. You either commit to being competitive at that level or you accept mediocrity. I don't like being redundant, but there are at least 20 power 5 schools who accept mediocrity in football for the major conference paychecks.

On the other hand, there are still half a dozen schools who were left behind who are willing to do whatever it takes to compete on the highest level no matter what the cost.

I know it's s pipe dream and I dislike the school. BUT IF ANY WAY IN WORLD I love to see Va Tech and someone else? EVEN PITT. BOTH OF THOSE schools tech for fans Pitt for market. Would satisfy eastern Balance to conference and perception of fitting in much better than any choicesBYU. CINCY MEMPHIS. I know it ain't happening. But I love to see it

WVU has been playing qualities schedules for decades. I refuse to be a self-hater, sorry. The Big East was a BCS conference, it fell apart, but it was a real nice conference for awhile and even at it's lowest - it was a power conference.

We've never been Alabama, but the so-called WVU fans on this board trying to place us on the same level as UCF, Memphis, and UConn are nothing but trolls and if you want to join them, be my guest.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
WVU is now playing at the highest level of competition in school history. You either commit to being competitive at that level or you accept mediocrity. I don't like being redundant, but there are at least 20 power 5 schools who accept mediocrity in football for the major conference paychecks.

On the other hand, there are still half a dozen schools who were left behind who are willing to do whatever it takes to compete on the highest level no matter what the cost.

If WVU hasn't committed to having a top program, who has?

Sorry we don't win every game. I'll send an email about that.

If WVU hasn't committed to having a top program, who has?

Sorry we don't win every game. I'll send an email about that.

Darth, I wasn't counting WVU among the 20 slackers. What WVU has put in to their athletic programs since joining the B12 is amazing. My only point was half a dozen other schools are ready to do the same.

I don't think expansion with the current cast of candidates does anything to help the conference in the long run, and it could end up biting us in the backside if the conference does fall apart.

I'm with Darth. Thumbs up to this post for pointing out a rarely-mentioned potential hazard of expansion from the WVU point of view.

At the very least, everyone here ought to consider the argument before just assuming expansion is a panacea that solves everything.

Wvu's commitment to being a top program will be tested this fall. If the program fails to win 9 games this season then the ax should fall on the current coach. That's what most programs committed to excellence would do.

I'm with Darth. Thumbs up to this post for pointing out a rarely-mentioned potential hazard of expansion from the WVU point of view.

At the very least, everyone here ought to consider the argument before just assuming expansion is a panacea that solves everything.

Exactly. It might be a band aid for some superficial symptoms, but it wont address the actual disease, and imo, bringing in mid-major programs might just fracture the conference even more.

BYU/Houston is probably the only choice that doesn't rock the boat. Grabbing Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, ect., might cause deep problems.

Exactly. It might be a band aid for some superficial symptoms, but it wont address the actual disease, and imo, bringing in mid-major programs might just fracture the conference even more.

BYU/Houston is probably the only choice that doesn't rock the boat. Grabbing Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, ect., might cause deep problems.

I think it needs to be realized that not every team in every conference is a "power-player", even in a P5 conference. How many would rather have Indiana in the Big 12 as an expansion team than BYU or Houston? I mean, they're in the Big 10, they have a lot of history and tradition in that conference. Wouldn't that be a better pick?

I'd rather have BYU or Houston or Cincy or a bunch of other teams than pick up a door mat from another P5 conference. Indiana, Illinois, Wake Forest, Duke, Vanderbilt, Oregon State all have great history and tradition, but not great FB teams.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
I think it needs to be realized that not every team in every conference is a "power-player", even in a P5 conference. How many would rather have Indiana in the Big 12 as an expansion team than BYU or Houston? I mean, they're in the Big 10, they have a lot of history and tradition in that conference. Wouldn't that be a better pick?

I'd rather have BYU or Houston or Cincy or a bunch of other teams than pick up a door mat from another P5 conference. Indiana, Illinois, Wake Forest, Duke, Vanderbilt, Oregon State all have great history and tradition, but not great FB teams.

Amen to that! I can't imagine what kind of problems Cincy or any other team in a highly populated area committed to enhancing their sports and academics would cause the Big 12. Except kicking half the teams' asses on the football field and basketball court. It's only a problem if they come in and dominate.THAT makes your conference look bad!

I'm beginning to think that perspective is totally right on BYU and Houston, especially after what we all read a few weeks ago about the possible divisional plan that essentially would be old Big 8 schools v. old Southwest Conference schools (+ WVU). Houston is a throwback to the SWC days from the Texas schools' points of view.

The only other option I see that doesn't rock the boat is recapturing a former conference member who left, and the only realistic possibility from that angle is Colorado.

I don't think any of the teams the conference can add at this point would improve the overall standing of the conference. If the Big 12 where to expand then i would hope it would be in the east where people actually live. I would rather see cincy or one of the Florida schools at least it might help with recruiting. I don't want to see Houston or Byu. The big 12 already has the Houston market you can talk about the Sec ratings in Houston all you want but if Texas can get its act together it will help the big 12 more than Houston will in that market. adding another team from the state of Texas won't help the conference. one of the reasons the old SWC fell apart was due to its limited geographic appeal. Utah is the wrong direction for the conference no need in having another outlier that would be geographically isolated.

Out of all the teams, the only team that might be able to truly replace an OU or UT if they left would be UCF. Houston (IMO) is only going to be as good as their next hire. If they bomb on that Houston = Boise State with more TVs.

UCF could be a monster with the right HC hire and B12 money. They have too much in-state talent to fail.

Reactions: jtGoldenKnights
Correct me if I'm wrong but empathy from Pitt, Syracuse, Memphis, USF, Boston College, Miami, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville or any other school did not have Jack Schitt to do with getting us into the Big12. They took us because they needed a team, we were willing to give up concessions and had a decent program and were a good match culturally and academically. If Boren and Oklahoma had their way, it would have been Louisville in the Big12 and not us. Empathy does not have anything to do with whether Team X gets a place at the table. So no, I really have no concern at all for those teams.

Correct me if I'm wrong but empathy from Pitt, Syracuse, Memphis, USF, Boston College, Miami, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville or any other school did not have Jack Schitt to do with getting us into the Big12. They took us because they needed a team, we were willing to give up concessions and had a decent program and were a good match culturally and academically. If Boren and Oklahoma had their way, it would have been Louisville in the Big12 and not us. Empathy does not have anything to do with whether Team X gets a place at the table. So no, I really have no concern at all for those teams.

You're correct, empathy has nothing to do with expansion.

The thing is...neither does this thread. At least directly. We're discussing having sympathy for fans that are part of a process that is essentially out of their control.

You know, something we experienced ?

You're correct, empathy has nothing to do with expansion.

The thing is...neither does this thread. At least directly. We're discussing having sympathy for fans that are part of a process that is essentially out of their control.

You know, something we experienced ?
Good point. Unfortunately, I still am not feeling much empathy. I don't actually know any of those fans so it would be disingenuous of me to actually claim that I care. Which fans am I to empathize with? Cincy? UCONN? BYU? Memphis? Houston? IDGAF. Why not Marshall, or Fairmont State, or Case Western Reserve? Will those same fans feel empathy for me if WVU is abandoned by Texas and Oklahoma, and eventually left out of the P$ conferences? Would I be able to detect this empathy? Would I even know? Some get rich some don't. Some earn it, some don't. Some get lucky, some don't.

I do feel for them. If you're a college football fan it's the worst feeling in the world. Hopelessness and Dispair. You hang on to every article, every rumor. And there are the so-call d insiders who are full of shit who feed you BS in secret code because they get their jollies off fng with you and they like all the attention. I hope we NEVER have to experience that again but in 6 or 7 years we may be back in the pool. Not confident in the Big 12 surviving. Yes I feel for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT