ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release WVU Earns AVCA Team Academic Award

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (July 25, 2017) – The West Virginia University volleyball team was named as a recipient of the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Team Academic Award for the 2016-17 season, as announced by the organization on Monday.

The Mountaineers were one of 145 Division I programs honored, with 822 high school and collegiate teams earning the accolade.

“Our goal is always to get one percent better every day, both on the court and in the classroom, and this proves that we’re holding true to that,” WVU coach Reed Sunahara said. “I’m thankful to (Assistant Athletic Director of Student-Athlete Development) Stephanie White and her staff for guiding our players in continuously improving academically. They’ve worked hard to get where they are today and I’m very proud of them.”

Several individuals have accrued academic awards for WVU this season. Six Mountaineers were named tothe 2016 Big 12 Volleyball All-Academic Team, while middle blocker Hannah Shreve earned CoSIDA Academic All-District honors. Gabrielle Cuckovich and Katelyn Evans were named to the Big 12 Academic All-Rookie Team as well.

The award, which was initiated in the 1992-93 academic year, honors collegiate and high school volleyball teams that displayed excellence in the classroom during the school year by maintaining at least a 3.30 cumulative team grade-point average on a 4.0 scale or a 4.10 cumulative team GPA on a 5.0 scale.

The AVCA Team Academic Award, celebrating its 25th year, is the single largest award offered by quantity of schools, players and coaches honored. Since the 2000-2001 season, the number of recipients have increased every single year but two, while amassing a 532 team increase over the span of the last decade. Since the award's inception in 1993, the amount of award winners has increased from 62 to its current number of 822.

Follow @WVUSports and @WVUVolleyball on Twitter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT