ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM WVU Declines WNIT Invite

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
WVU Declines WNIT Invite

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (March 14, 2022) – West Virginia University Director of Athletics Shane Lyons announced today that WVU has declined an invitation to participate in the 2022 WNIT postseason tournament.

“While we appreciate the invitation for our women’s basketball team to participate in the 2022 WNIT, we have made the difficult decision to decline the invite this year,” Lyons said. “Team injuries, along with student-athletes set to enter the transfer portal, have limited our roster availability, and we would not be able to provide a competitive or positive experience for our student-athletes.”

The West Virginia women’s basketball team finished the season with a record of 15-15 and a 7-11 mark in the Big 12. The Mountaineers reached the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championship but lost a 66-60 decision to No. 10 ranked Iowa State on Friday night.

WVU Declines WNIT Invite

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (March 14, 2022) – West Virginia University Director of Athletics Shane Lyons announced today that WVU has declined an invitation to participate in the 2022 WNIT postseason tournament.

“While we appreciate the invitation for our women’s basketball team to participate in the 2022 WNIT, we have made the difficult decision to decline the invite this year,” Lyons said. “Team injuries, along with student-athletes set to enter the transfer portal, have limited our roster availability, and we would not be able to provide a competitive or positive experience for our student-athletes.”

The West Virginia women’s basketball team finished the season with a record of 15-15 and a 7-11 mark in the Big 12. The Mountaineers reached the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championship but lost a 66-60 decision to No. 10 ranked Iowa State on Friday night.
WTF. Mountaineer athletics is falling like a rock.

WVUs primary athletics are way down this year- terrible all around. Impossible to see any light at the end of this tunnel as things stand. WVU is going to have to make Morgantown and being at WVU much more compelling for good student athletes going forward.

Bucky is a Biden loving hairy leg feeler. I don't need a reason to not like a Bucky reply.
I dislike Bucky's politics too but at the moment Bucky appears to be much smarter and mature than you do. Might be the reason that folks laugh at you and not with you.

Not one for negativity, but it seems like we are having a fire sale all the time now. We don’t have enough players to play in the tournament with several going to the transfer portal.

As long as we have a women's program that keeps Title IX from destroying the real basketball program, I'm satisfied. Women's team could miss every post season from here on out and I'd be fine with it. It would save the athletic department some money.

As long as we have a women's program that keeps Title IX from destroying the real basketball program, I'm satisfied. Women's team could miss every post season from here on out and I'd be fine with it. It would save the athletic department some money.
Well you obviously have no women in your life...or are still feeling trauma from the beating that little red headed girl gave you in third grade.

WVUs primary athletics are way down this year- terrible all around. Impossible to see any light at the end of this tunnel as things stand. WVU is going to have to make Morgantown and being at WVU much more compelling for good student athletes going forward.
If money is a serious issue in Morgantown, it is time for Lyons to clean out his desk. I read the other day they had to borrow money to pay coaches last fall. If he would have stood up to NB the same way he stood up to Huggy the last week, we would be far better off. Instead Lyons mortgaged the future on a comeback win over Army with Austin Kendall after Doege was benched.

I dislike Bucky's politics too but at the moment Bucky appears to be much smarter and mature than you do. Might be the reason that folks laugh at you and not with you.
Funny thing is you seem to think I care.

If money is a serious issue in Morgantown, it is time for Lyons to clean out his desk. I read the other day they had to borrow money to pay coaches last fall. If he would have stood up to NB the same way he stood up to Huggy the last week, we would be far better off. Instead Lyons mortgaged the future on a comeback win over Army with Austin Kendall after Doege was benched.
I wonder if that had anything to do with no attendance to football and basketball for a year and the conference payout dropping due to no Conference tournament and Big NCAA tournament pay check? Hmmmmm.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
The stupidity of the free board never ceases to amaze me.

Not really. Actually it is evident that you don't have enough intelligence to realize. Now put your bunny jammies on and climb back in the upper bunk.
I see you moved up to google funnies to rely on your post. Congrats.

Essentially if you have an issue with gender, it’s obvious that you have a issue with race as well. No need to try to defend yourself you’ve already established what type of garbage you are. As long as people like you that slow and miserably in front of your family, I’m fine with it

Essentially if you have an issue with gender, it’s obvious that you have a issue with race as well. No need to try to defend yourself you’ve already established what type of garbage you are. As long as people like you that slow and miserably in front of your family, I’m fine with it

I do not have a problem with gender. I have a problem with a bunch of liars who do not give a shit about a sport acting all sanctimonious when someone openly acknowledges they do not care. None of you are discussing the women's team on here or going out of your way to attend games. I feel the same about the bullshitters who care about USA men's soccer only when the World Cup is going on. I said the same about WVU men's soccer getting buzz from people who never traditionally cared just because they made a little noise in the NCAA Tournament.

You assume a false binary in that you can only be pro or anti. I am neutral. The girls basketball program can play and I hope they have a good time to the same extent I hope anyone has a good time in their recreational endeavors. However the truth is for me, and likely many others, our only interest of any value regarding basketball is about the men's team. The paltry attendance and sports banter about the women's team speaks louder than words and proves that a vast majority men's basketball fans do not care enough to matter. People just will not admit it like I did because they are either too afraid of self righteous bullshit from people like you or they lack self awareness.

I do not have a problem with gender. I have a problem with a bunch of liars who do not give a shit about a sport acting all sanctimonious when someone openly acknowledges they do not care. None of you are discussing the women's team on here or going out of your way to attend games. I feel the same about the bullshitters who care about USA men's soccer only when the World Cup is going on. I said the same about WVU men's soccer getting buzz from people who never traditionally cared just because they made a little noise in the NCAA Tournament.

You assume a false binary in that you can only be pro or anti. I am neutral. The girls basketball program can play and I hope they have a good time to the same extent I hope anyone has a good time in their recreational endeavors. However the truth is for me, and likely many others, our only interest of any value regarding basketball is about the men's team. The paltry attendance and sports banter about the women's team speaks louder than words and proves that a vast majority men's basketball fans do not care enough to matter. People just will not admit it like I did because they are either too afraid of self righteous bullshit from people like you or they lack self awareness.
Whatever makes you feel better. You do you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT