ADVERTISEMENT

WVU belongs in the SEC

WVU belongs in the EAC (Eastern Athletic Conference), one that should have been formed in the early 1980's. Syracuse, Pitt, Penn State, Va Tech, WVU, Maryland, Boston College, Navy, Rutgers, Army, possibly Miami, and maybe switch out a few teams for others.

OK, I get it. It's WAY too long between WVU basketball season and the beginning of WVU football, with only that interminably boring baseball in between. Hang on, guy! Salvation is just around the corner. 7:30 p.m. Sunday, ABC. Are you ready for some Mountaineer football? Hell, yeah!

We need to be playing the politics game to make sure this happens within the next 5-10 years.

The SEC will never admit WVU for numerous reasons, including:
  1. Morgantown is not Southern and is culturally far different than SEC schools.
  2. WVU offers nothing in terms of a TV/media market.
  3. WVU has no traditional rivalries with any SEC school.
  4. The SEC can do far better than WVU if the league again expands. For example, the SEC could attract any of the following programs: Oklahoma, Texas, UNC, FSU, Clemson, or Miami.
  5. The SEC is not and will not be interested in WVU.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
  4. The SEC can do far better than WVU if the league again expands. For example, the SEC could attract any of the following programs: Oklahoma, Texas, UNC, FSU, Clemson, or Miami.
JT Walsh was quality.

And I belong in a Penelope Cruz - Salma Hayek sandwich. Please work on that while you are busy getting us in the SEC...
Although Selma has a bit more 'heft' to her bones...I must insist she is the top of that sandwich...I quite like her...sorry Penelope...
salma-hayek-bikini-gallerie.jpg

Missouri is so very southern.

Missouri is so very southern.
It does border Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee, all of which belong to the SEC. I believe parts of Missouri are actually south of Virginia, but would have to take a peek at a map. Not to mention, West Virginia did side with the North during the Civil War, so that in itself likely makes you ineligible for the SEC.

you need to look at map, MichiganHerd. WV borders, VA, KY, MD, PA, Ohio. But I agree in that the SEC would have much more attractive options in OK, TX, Clemson, Florida State, Miami (Fla.) and even former member Georgia Tech should it want to complete expansion. I'm sure they're fine with what they have though.

When the movement happens again we will be in the SEC. Before the money we would have been hurting but with the right funding we can compete in any conference.

you need to look at map, MichiganHerd. WV borders, VA, KY, MD, PA, Ohio. But I agree in that the SEC would have much more attractive options in OK, TX, Clemson, Florida State, Miami (Fla.) and even former member Georgia Tech should it want to complete expansion. I'm sure they're fine with what they have though.
EarlyPlioceneFormation.jpg

Based on location, Missouri belongs back in the Big 12, and WVU belongs in the ACC or Big 10.

Politically wise yes the new State of WV was able to appoint Senators and congressmen in 1863. But at least half of the WV Citizens were in the Army of Virginia Regiments(Confederate) Ever heard of Stonewall Jackson?

Take it for what it's worth. One of my clients at the former place of business(8 figure booster) said WVU received the votes to get into the SEC until ESPN/CBS told Commissioner Slive that they wanted Mizzou due to the higher KC/STL markets.

Take it for what it's worth. One of my clients at the former place of business(8 figure booster) said WVU received the votes to get into the SEC until ESPN/CBS told Commissioner Slive that they wanted Mizzou due to the higher KC/STL markets.

LOL at this post

Take it for what it's worth. One of my clients at the former place of business (8 figure booster) said WVU received the votes to get into the SEC until ESPN/CBS told Commissioner Slive that they wanted Mizzou due to the higher KC/STL markets.

Eight figures? You better re-think this one. Heck, TorontoEERs doesn't even make that much although I do pay him hunnardts! Hunnardts!

Very shallow evaluation. #3 is false. UK, Tenn, even UF and USC could easily develop into rivals

You can't belong to a club that doesn't want you no matter how much you fantasize about being allowed to join. Just be thankful Oliver Luck got WVU into the Big 12 otherwise we'd be wallowing in the pitiful American Athletic Conference.

I like having Oklahoma or Texas in Mountaineer Field every year. The Big 12 schedule is way better than the Big East in its dying years.

M angy special teams and absence of Simms caused close loss to Virginia Tech, 31-24

O bliterated East Carolina, 56-20

U nhinge Delaware State

N apalm Kansas

T errorize TCU

A nnihilate Texas Tech

I ncinerate Baylor

N ullify Oklahoma State

E masculate Iowa State

E rectile dysfunction Kansas State

R eam Texas

S avage Oklahoma

I'm not sure any of those schools would leave for the SEC. imo, if the sec expands again, we will be considered. Remember, last time it was down to us and Missouri.

WVU is doing just fine in the Big XII. I have enjoyed watching my beloved Mountaineers play against Texas, oSu, KSU, OU and all the other Big XII teams.

Its sad that there is no true Eastern Football conference anymore. Really nothing WVU or the Mountaineer alumni/fans can do about that situation.

I believe The Mountaineers are in a very good place right now. Especially financially with the athletic department. As long as the powers that be continue to schedule OOC games against our regional rivals we'll be fine.

1. Morgantown is not Southern and is culturally far different than SEC schools. ( See Missouri)
  2. WVU offers nothing in terms of a TV/media market.( See Missouri)
  3. WVU has no traditional rivalries with any SEC school.( See Missouri)
  4. The SEC can do far better than WVU if the league again expands. For example, the SEC could attract any of the following programs: Oklahoma, Texas, UNC, FSU, Clemson, or Miami.( See Missouri)
  5. The SEC is not and will not be interested in WVU. ( See Missouri)

Any particular reason why you feel obliged to disrespect WVU?

I dont expect us to land anywhere and hope the Big 12 stays intact... as well it should but the following is not out of the realm.

Texas/KSU or Pac 10
OU/Kansas- Big 10
ND/TCU- ACC
OSU/WV- SEC

Why the eff would Clemson, UNC, FSU or Miami ever leave the ACC? By far the best all around conference and the money wont be that far off.

Having the SEC contiguous but now boarding PA and MD (not to mention a much longer border with Ohio) has value. SEC games being played in the heart of Big 10 country has to have strategic value.

WVU games get ratings. Always have.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Reactions: Pitt4Life34

I dont expect us to land anywhere and hope the Big 12 stays intact... as well it should but the following is not out of the realm.

Texas/KSU or Pac 10
OU/Kansas- Big 10
ND/TCU- ACC
OSU/WV- SEC

Why the eff would Clemson, UNC, FSU or Miami ever leave the ACC? By far the best all around conference and the money wont be that far off.

Having the SEC contiguous but now boarding PA and MD (not to mention a much longer border with Ohio) has value. SEC games being played in the heart of Big 10 country has to have strategic value.

Everybody would leave to join the SEC.
Most of the Big XII teams would be of no value. It's OU, Texas, and maybe TCU. Although I could see certain states passing laws requiring a conference take a sister school if they want the main school.

Texas/KSU or Pac 10
OU/Kansas- Big 10
ND/TCU- ACC
OSU/WV- SEC

Good post. There is a footprint issue but WVU does have a respected football and basketball program. That will always put WVU in a discussion in expansion. I know you guys pound me for calling things the way I see them but it's the footprint issue and academic reputation that has hampered WVU in Big10 and ACC considerations.

Everybody would leave to join the SEC.
Most of the Big XII teams would be of no value. It's OU, Texas, and maybe TCU. Although I could see certain states passing laws requiring a conference take a sister school if they want the main school.
Passing laws requiring schools to take sister schools? You can't do that. Lol.

Good post. There is a footprint issue but WVU does have a respected football and basketball program. That will always put WVU in a discussion in expansion. I know you guys pound me for calling things the way I see them but it's the footprint issue and academic reputation that has hampered WVU in Big10 and ACC considerations.

Ohhhh, the infamous US News rankings rear up again the one that "glamorizes selectivity, which creates a culture of exclusion that shuns low-income students the hardest." Not a coincidence that we are ranked down there with Mississippi State. Because we *gasp admit poor people and give them at least an opportunity as is our state mission. I dont disagree that is certainly hurts our chances with our elitist friends both North and South. Magazine ranking's aside WV does create a boarder with VA, PA & MD for the SEC. SEC that far north would create a new sphere of influence for the conference and would put them at the front door of a lot of Midwestern, NorthEastern high schools, road trips and TV sets. Broadcasters rate WVU. We pull numbers for whatever reason. College football fans find us interesting. We add positive inventory as proven by our TV directed inclusion in the Big 12.
east-coast-usa.html

Ohhhh, the infamous US News rankings rear up again the one that "glamorizes selectivity, which creates a culture of exclusion that shuns low-income students the hardest." Not a coincidence that we are ranked down there with Mississippi State. Because we *gasp admit poor people and give them at least an opportunity as is our state mission. I dont disagree that is certainly hurts our chances with our elitist friends both North and South. Magazine ranking's aside WV does create a boarder with VA, PA & MD for the SEC. SEC that far north would create a new sphere of influence for the conference and would put them at the front door of a lot of Midwestern, NorthEastern high schools, road trips and TV sets. Broadcasters rate WVU. We pull numbers for whatever reason. College football fans find us interesting. We add positive inventory as proven by our TV directed inclusion in the Big 12.
east-coast-usa.html

You need a hug man! Get a grip and release the demons that occupy your thoughts and mind. WVU is an excelent athletic program. So..............why do you think the ACC and the Big Ten eliminated WVU during expansion? The first 11 guesses don't count. Why are academics and footprint so hard for some of you to deal with?

east-coast-usa.html

Nothing against WVU and they really should be in the ACC or SEC.

However, WVU has the distinction of being the LOWEST academic ranked (#187) P5 member University according to the recent US News rankings (2018) you reference.

I don't think WVU is actually a bad school and wonder why your administration has not undertaken a comprehensive program to improve its ranking.

Apparently, FSU and NC State have both improved their academic ranking to #81.

The academic outlier now in the ACC is Louisville ranked (#165). It would be good if they begin to try and improve their ranking as FSU and NC State have done.

Why not WVU.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT